PDA

View Full Version : Football OOC

Todd4State
03-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I see where Army was approved by the SEC as a power five team. I would have gone after them if I was Scott. It would be cool to do a home and home with them and get them to move our road game to Yankee Stadium. We have a military tradition at MSU, so think I think it fits us from that standpoint, plus one of our biggest wins in early school history was over them in 1933. Plus, I think Army would bring a good crowd. And yes it would keep our schedule manageable.

Also, any word on Memphis joining the Big 12? If that happens, I would make them a priority as well.

bluelightstar
03-19-2015, 10:42 PM
I think that was approved because Vandy requested it (for the same years as we have openings?) -- Army likely wouldn't be scheduling two SEC teams. Maybe in the future though -- would be cool.

Liverpooldawg
03-19-2015, 10:51 PM
If we do DON'T move the road game. A game AT West Point has always been on my sports bucket list. I would do my best to go to that one.

War Machine Dawg
03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
They should make all the Service Academies P5 approved. Playing Navy would be awesome. And I love the idea to play Army. It would have been so much better than the Mormons.

BulldogBear
03-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I think that was approved because Vandy requested it (for the same years as we have openings?) -- Army likely wouldn't be scheduling two SEC teams. Maybe in the future though -- would be cool.

I wonder if it is just a temporary approval rather than going forward. army would struggle in the Sun Belt and is hardly P5 calibre in the long run. BOOYOO has more of an argument.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2015, 12:22 AM
They should make all the Service Academies P5 approved. Playing Navy would be awesome. And I love the idea to play Army. It would have been so much better than the Mormons.

You realize that we can play them without them being power 5 approved, right?

Is there that much difference in Army instead of Troy, Arkansas State, or Tulane?

If we want to play them, then let's just schedule them. The entire point of the power 5 deal was to make SEC teams increase their strength of schedule, not to create more loopholes where we still play bad teams.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 01:08 AM
1) memphis will never be in the big 12

2) typical msu fan wanting to play as weak of a schedule as possible

engie
03-20-2015, 07:49 AM
1) memphis will never be in the big 12

2) typical msu fan wanting to play as weak of a schedule as possible

1) Memphis is one of the most likely and viable expansion candidates for the Big12, who wants to get a championship game back now that it cost them a shot in the playoff last year. Along with Tulane and Cinci. 2 of those are going to get in sooner rather than later, especially if the Big12 can come to some sort of terms on a conference network.

2) Typical Oregon fan complaining about MSU's "weak" schedule that has, in reality, been tougher than theirs 4 of 6 years of the Dan Mullen era, even in the face of their 9 game conference schedule. Good thing that weak USM team prevented our climb up the rankings last year**

It's not going to take very many times dropping these games to BYU, NC State, K State, Arizona, etc that people long for the days of the layup 4th OOC game...

Jack Lambert
03-20-2015, 07:52 AM

So Vandy called dibs on Army?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Regardless of who requested it, if anyone, it was likely approved because Army is one of 3 Independents in college football and the other 2 are also approved. I guess it's not PC to pick and choose between Independents. And the other service academies cannot get on the approved list because they are in conferences.

BulldogBear
03-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Regardless of who requested it, if anyone, it was likely approved because Army is one of 3 Independents in college football and the other 2 are also approved. I guess it's not PC to pick and choose between Independents. And the other service academies cannot get on the approved list because they are in conferences.

This is probably more or less the reason. As an Independent, they are not defined already as G5 by conference membership. NowNavy is American though. I wonder if that will change

sandwolf
03-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Also, any word on Memphis joining the Big 12?

1) Memphis is one of the most likely and viable expansion candidates for the Big12, who wants to get a championship game back now that it cost them a shot in the playoff last year.

Damn, this is the first I have heard of this. That would have an interesting effect on the CFB landscape in this area.......and possibly a damaging effect on State and Ole Miss. Memphis in a Power 5 Conference would make the state of TN way more difficult to recruit, would give us competition for all the AL, LA and North MS kids, and would really give us competition for the MS JUCO recruits due to the Big 12's more lenient requirements for JUCO transfers (I believe that the SEC requires 1 more math course than the Big 12 does or something like that).

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Cincy, byu, boise, all are ahead of memphis and Tulane (even more lulz) in any big 12 pecking order. Hell I'd put smu and Colorado st ahead of them too. Memphis and Tulane don't even have their own on campus facilities in any big 3 sport, do they? A pending big 12 network gives them a lot of power.

engie
03-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Damn, this is the first I have heard of this. That would have an interesting effect on the CFB landscape in this area.......and possibly a damaging effect on State and Ole Miss. Memphis in a Power 5 Conference would make the state of TN way more difficult to recruit, would give us competition for all the AL, LA and North MS kids, and would really give us competition for the MS JUCO recruits due to the Big 12's more lenient requirements for JUCO transfers (I believe that the SEC requires 1 more math course than the Big 12 does or something like that).

There's been a couple of threads discussing it and articles from most media outlets out there at some point or another since the end of the CFB season. Enough so that the Big12 addressed it a few different times.

I agree with you that Memphis/Tulane in the Big12 would be bad for MSU and Ole Miss on many levels. The Big12 has shot it down for now, and I hope they keep it shot down...https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=memphis+to+big+12

engie
03-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Cincy, byu, boise, all are ahead of memphis and Tulane (even more lulz) in any big 12 pecking order. Link?

Hell I'd put smu and Colorado st ahead of them too. SMU? Seriously? No way you understand the drivers of expansion with that inclusion.

Memphis and Tulane don't even have their own on campus facilities in any big 3 sport, do they?Tulane built a brand new football stadium last year.

A pending big 12 network gives them a lot of power.
There aren't alot of tv sets in Idaho. BYU has their own network locked in for awhile(along with the LHN). Cinci is the 3rd logical expansion candidate to go with Tulane and Memphis. The others simply are not. It's about TV sets. Those 3 bring alot of them.

RougeDawg
03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Memphis possibly going to Big12 would hurt the Bears more than Tulane Potentially hurting us. Tulane moving to the big12 would put a squeeze on Lester and his ability to pluck the recruits he wants from Louisiana, aside from the 2 or 3 Bama, A&M, and Florida steal each year. In recent years the New Orleans area has been producing some of the top recruits (Fortnette and others I can't recall) in the nation. Big12 interests in their own back yard would hurt LSU.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Memphis and Tulane going to the big 12 would only hurt the big 12. The rest of us would point and laugh. That'd be worse than the sec going after UCF and USF. Speaking of which, wouldn't shock me if either of both of those schools are tabbed for expansion before Memphis and Tulane.

I'd like to see links to Memphis and Tulane being 2 of the 3 front runners for big 12 expansion. As in more than some writer speculating, but actual rumors at least.