bluelightstar
03-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Didn't LSU miss 6 straight free throws?

msstate7
03-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Not gonna argue, but missing the ft's is on the players

JOHNHEVESYMADE
Will be interesting to see how they do next year with a top 10 class.

Coach34
Yep- and that's on the players. But that team has collapsed in the last 5 mins all year long.

Liverpooldawg
Awesome recruiting can't even hide him- wow

He is in the NCAA and WE are sitting home with a better coach?

msstate7
03-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Will be interesting to see how they do next year with a top 10 class.

If they keep Mickey and Martin, they'll be outstanding. If they keep 1, they'll be pretty good. If they lose both, who knows

confucius say
03-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Prob true, but would you take him over ray right now?

dawgs
03-19-2015, 10:34 PM
He might be the 13th worst, but he sure as hell ain't the worst. And recruiting is half (or more) of "coaching" in college basketball.

I seen it dawg
03-19-2015, 10:55 PM
2 touches for Martin their best player after being up by 15. That's Stains level right there.

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Any person affiliated with Ricky Ray making fun of another coach with a 61-37 record over the last three years is an idiot. I mean they would really just ooze idiocy.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Jones can't hold Rick Ray's jock as a floor coach. Rick Ray can't hold Johnny Jones' jock as a recruiter.

The he only idiot here would be you if you can't see the talent discrepancy Jones has had vs Ray. Not to mention Ray beat Jones this year head to head with Bloodman and Endo playing during the game. That tells anyone with an intelligence level past jello who the better coach is

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Jones can't hold Rick Ray's jock as a floor coach.

Holy shit....

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Jones can't hold Rick Ray's jock as a floor coach. Rick Ray can't hold Johnny Jones' jock as a recruiter.

The he only idiot here would be you if you can't see the talent discrepancy Jones has had vs Ray. Not to mention Ray beat Jones this year head to head with Bloodman and Endo playing during the game. That tells anyone with an intelligence level past jello who the better coach is

You've gone mental. I mean like you need help mental.

maroonmania
03-20-2015, 08:46 AM

Doesn't really matter, basketball is the sport where recruiting is the most important thing. Its probably at least 75% of the job. Ray is a pretty good floor coach at least defensively and maybe he is alright offensively if he had better talent (I don't really know) but it absolutely doesn't matter if you don't have the players. For all your years of calling Stans "The Recruiter" it was always ironic to me because THAT should be at the top of the list of what you look for in a college basketball coach. No, it doesn't mean a guy shouldn't be able to be at least a decent floor coach or be able to keep control of his program but it all starts with recruiting ability. If you don't have that its over before it starts and is where we are at right now, we just don't have the horses.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 08:50 AM
You've gone mental. I mean like you need help mental.

Righttttttt

Jones played Ray this year with wayyyy more talent
A better bench
in front of 2500 people- so there really wasn't a significant home court advantage

and lost

thf24
03-20-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm not going to comment on where Jones ranks among SEC coaches, but I have very little doubt that his career will be defined by underachievement and riddled with Stansbury-type head-scratching losses to teams with greatly inferior talent.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Righttttttt

A better bench
in front of 2500 people- so there really wasn't a significant home court advantage

and lost

So are you saying that Ray is overachieving?

Coach34
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
So are you saying that Ray is overachieving?

He did that day against LSU- how can you say he didn't? Sword is the only player we had on the floor that belonged with that LSU group and we won.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
I mean damn- look at our roster. Look at our bench- and you tell me where we should have finished this season?

Look at Jones roster and his future draft picks- how did they finish? And they lost to us

RossDawg82
03-20-2015, 09:07 AM
He did that day against LSU- how can you say he didn't? Sword is the only player we had on the floor that belonged with that LSU group and we won.

So Hugh Freeze is a better coach than Nick Saban??? This kind of logic cant be used to describe what is going on with our team. You cant justify that we have a good coach by one game. We lost so many games we should have won this year, we lost several games by 20 or 30 points, and only out up 40 or 50 points in a majority of our games. Both coaches are horrible and have proved this. Saying one is better than the other is a fruitless waste of breath.

MadDawg
03-20-2015, 09:11 AM
So, using 34's logic, Rick Ray > Kevin Stallings. That's good to know. ***

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 09:12 AM
I mean damn- look at our roster. Look at our bench- and you tell me where we should have finished this season

Well, we finished near the bottom and got embarrassed by SC and Aub to finish out the season so yeah, about where I figured. The thing is, no we didn't finish dead last (17 yeah!), but those two teams are definitely trending up, while we're treading water with our shit coaching staff.

mic
03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
2 touches for Martin their best player after being up by 15. That's Stains level right there.

Best player... Dude is a lottery pick..

mic
03-20-2015, 09:16 AM
If they keep Mickey and Martin, they'll be outstanding. If they keep 1, they'll be pretty good. If they lose both, who knows

Martin is gone. Lottery pick.
Mickey is probably gone
They may even lose Quarderman. I think he is a pro.. Probably 2 round..

Coach34
03-20-2015, 09:17 AM
So Hugh Freeze is a better coach than Nick Saban??? This kind of logic cant be used to describe what is going on with our team. You cant justify that we have a good coach by one game. We lost so many games we should have won this year, we lost several games by 20 or 30 points, and only out up 40 or 50 points in a majority of our games. Both coaches are horrible and have proved this. Saying one is better than the other is a fruitless waste of breath.

stop going to extremes

A) Hugh Freeze had an extreme home advantage with a packed stadium- Gameday there. It was an insane day for them. Ray played LSU with a 1/4 full Hump

B) What games did we lose that we should have won? Take the name off the jersey and compare the players. What team should we have beaten with an injured Ready and Sword? Or the one where we played without Ware? You really can't be serious?

Coach34
03-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Bottom line- if they had equal talent on a neutral court- anybody picking Jones over Ray is an idiot. If you wanted to get into a recruiting contest? That's a different story

mic
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Lsu also lost to auburn twice .. And I think mizzu..

It wasn't just this game it was all year.. That LSU team underachieved big time .. It had everything a great team needs except lack of depth..
Point guard . Yes ( and he could play the 2 and 3 )
Shooting guard . Yes
And 2 studs inside.. Hell yes

When it come to JJ and RR ... If u give RR that LSU team they are still playing today.. And for that matter wouldn't have been a 9 seed...

And yes I am all for replacing RR here..

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Part of being a good coach in college IS recruiting.

You act like it's a completely different function all together. Nick Saban is the best coach in the country because he has excellent gameplans AND he is an incredible recruiter. The 2 are not mutually exclusive like you always make them out to be. So here we are...

Ray. Terrible Recruiter + Good Floor Coach (Says You) = Sitting at Bufallo Wild Wings in March

Jones. Great recruiter + Terrible Floor Coach (Says You) = NCAA Tournament Bid

You tell me which is more important

RossDawg82
03-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Bottom line- if they had equal talent on a neutral court- anybody picking Jones over Ray is an idiot. If you wanted to get into a recruiting contest? That's a different story

Bottom Line is that we do not have the talent. There is so much more that goes into coaching at the collegiate level than Wins and Losses. We are a horrible basketball team, and only the ignorant would say we have shown improvement. The only aspect we have improved since RR has gotten to Starkville is community service. We have no talent, we have no offense, and worst of all we have no support. We used to have to get to a game hours in advance for tickets, now you get a free pizza if you show up. Its sad and pathetic, but most of all this product on the court is insulting to the people who played,coached, and supported MSU basketball in the past. You can justify all you want that RR is not as bad as XYZ, but the BOTTOM LINE is we are one of the worst teams in the conference and there is no hope of improvement.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Bottom line- if they had equal talent on a neutral court-

Good thing we know that will never happen***

HancockCountyDog
03-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Hell, I bet Bobby Knight would be most coaches in the country with equal talent. Unfortunately recruiting is more than 50% of the job when it comes to basketball.

You could give UK's roster to anyone that has coached YMCA 6 year old basketball and go against Ray in the hump, and the YMCA guy wins 10 times out of 10.

Just edit your post to say Jones is the worst floor coach in the SEC. Probably right there. Worst coach - no way. The worst coach in the SEC isn't in the NCAA tourney and doesn't have a top 5 recruiting class in the country coming to their campus.

MadDawg
03-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Good thing we know that will never happen***

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:05 AM
The worst coach in the SEC isn't in the NCAA tourney and doesn't have a top 5 recruiting class in the country coming to their campus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq1wzW3zhT0

ETA: excluding Bruce Pearl. I don't know what his current recruiting looks like, but I'm confident it's much better than what Auburn is normally used to.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Righttttttt

A better bench

and lost

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I mean damn- look at our roster. Look at our bench- and you tell me where we should have finished this season?

Look at Jones roster and his future draft picks- how did they finish? And they lost to us

Yet if they continue to win 20ish games and contend for tourney spots, then he's not the worst. Not when we have a coach with a sub-.400 winning % overall, not conference, but overall.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Too bad coaching college basketball includes recruiting. If you can't recruit, then you aren't a good coach.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Part of being a good coach in college IS recruiting.

You act like it's a completely different function all together. Nick Saban is the best coach in the country because he has excellent gameplans AND he is an incredible recruiter. The 2 are not mutually exclusive like you always make them out to be. So here we are...

Ray. Terrible Recruiter + Good Floor Coach (Says You) = Sitting at Bufallo Wild Wings in March

Jones. Great recruiter + Terrible Floor Coach (Says You) = NCAA Tournament Bid

You tell me which is more important

nobody is saying recruiting isn't important- no doubt it is. Very important
nobody is saying Ray is John Wooden. Nobody is saying Ray should keep his job another day. This thread wasn't even about Ray.

im simply saying Ray is better at the coaching aspect than Jones is. Will Ray be as successful as Jones? Highly unlikely. He will never recruit like Jones. But Jones is an awful floor coach- that can't even be disputed

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:22 AM
ETA: excluding Bruce Pearl. I don't know what his current recruiting looks like, but I'm confident it's much better than what Auburn is normally used to.

Auburn is bringing in a borderline top 10 class this year, so they're about to leave us in the dust too.

Meanwhile, half of ED thinks our borderline top 50 class will lead us back to the promise land and solve our talent problem.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 10:23 AM
Too bad coaching college basketball includes recruiting. If you can't recruit, then you aren't a good coach.

Talking simply the coaching aspect- I'm sorry too many of you can't separate that part of it due to your hate for Ray

Coach34
03-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Auburn is bringing in a borderline top 10 class this year, so they're about to leave us in the dust too.

we'll beat Auburn in Sville next year

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:26 AM
nobody is saying Ray is John Wooden. Nobody is saying Ray should keep his job another day. This thread wasn't even about Ray.

im simply saying Ray is better at the coaching aspect than Jones is. Will Ray be as successful as Jones? Highly unlikely. He will never recruit like Jones. But Jones is an awful floor coach- that can't even be disputed

I don't know if ray is all that good of a coach given the lack of progress many guys on our roster have made (especially ware, fred, Daniels), and if he can't manage a roster, why should I think he can manage a game plan and draw up innovative plays to get guys in the best positions to succeed?

dawgs
03-20-2015, 10:28 AM
"Worst coach". Last time I checked, that included all aspects of being a coach.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:29 AM
This thread wasn't even about Ray.

im simply saying Ray is better at the coaching aspect than Jones is. Will Ray be as successful as Jones? Highly unlikely.

Then wtf are you talking about? We can only go off what we see with our eyes. Observation. This isn't imagination land. Rick Ray can't even have a winning season, let alone a spot in the big dance.

Shit, that's like me saying "I'd be a world-class painter, if it wasn't for my horrible brush-strokes".

RossDawg82
03-20-2015, 10:33 AM
How can a "good floor coach" not manage to put points on the board or beat the press defense. This whole year it seemed that teams would toy with us, but once we hit a couple shots, they would press and we were completely lost. A good floor coach can create ways to beat that and Ray proved he cannot. So I disagree that he is a good floor coach. Anything other than he is one of the worst overall coaches in the country will not make sense to me.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Talking simply the coaching aspect- I'm sorry too many of you can't separate that part of it due to your hate for Ray

This has nothing to do with hate for RR. I like RR as a person. I liked him as a coach when we got him. But we 17'ing suck, and to point otherwise is just trolling. And just so you know, I wanted RS gone...actually gone sooner than he was (Its sad I feel I am required to state this). Criticizing a coach because he has led our program to 3 straight losing seasons doesn't mean we "hate" him; who's pushing an agenda now?
I don't know about everyone else, but I find it beyond Simple Jack that you would type (with a straight face) that RR is a better coach than someone who won 20 games, is recruiting at a high level, doesn't have off the court/locker-room issues (that we know of), and made it to the NCAA. Ray won't sniff that next year. So what if he is underachieving? Most coaches in the SEC are considering the level of talent they have; that's the nature of college ball now - just because you have a 5* next to your name coming out of high school doesn't mean you're a polished basketball player.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:41 AM
How can a "good floor coach" not manage to put points on the board or beat the press defense. This whole year it seemed that teams would toy with us, but once we hit a couple shots, they would press and we were completely lost. A good floor coach can create ways to beat that and Ray proved he cannot. So I disagree that he is a good floor coach. Anything other than he is one of the worst overall coaches in the country will not make sense to me.

This too.

Floor coach? Where the hell are you seeing this, Coach? Why, because we play "good" defense for stretches of games? (that has nothing to do with the poor shooting and general basketball skills of the SEC...of course not).

We are a horrible passing team. One of the worst teams in the conference in A/TO margin. One of the worst teams in the country in assists per game. We are a horrible rebounding team. We don't box-out at all; basically we have horrible technique in most facets of the game. We'll play "good" defense for 23 seconds of the shot clock, force a bad shot, but give up an offensive putback on the rebound. Guys like Ware and Fred haven't been developed, if anything they've regressed. We still can't attack a zone. We still can't shoot 3's, and you can't say that's a lack of talent either - look at those mormons the other night: what is their average recruiting class the past 3 or 4 years?

Coach34
03-20-2015, 10:45 AM
These basketball discussions never cease to amaze me. Johnny Jones got in the Tourney- so therefore he is better at coaching the game than Ray says the Ray hatersBut if this was a football discussion before last August- every single damn one of you would defend Mullen and talk about what a better coach he is than Les Miles- he just doesn't have the talent Miles has. It's ****ing hilarious. Not a swinging dick on this site would say Miles was a better game coach than Mullen. But since he was going to better bowl games he must be better right????

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:46 AM
These basketball discussions never cease to amaze me. Johnny Jones got in the Tourney- so therefore he is better at coaching the game than Ray says the Ray hatersBut if this was a football discussion before last August- every single damn one of you would defend Mullen and talk about what a better coach he is than Les Miles- he just doesn't have the talent Miles has. It's ****ing hilarious. Not a swinging dick on this site would say Miles was a better game coach than Mullen. But since he was going to better bowl games he must be better right????

I've never once said that, but good job deflecting and changing the subject**

quickstrike2
03-20-2015, 10:50 AM
I'll take a coach that underachieves and makes the big dance over one that overachieves and beats that coach one day in January. Jones isn't that great, but recruiting makes his team relevant. I've learned my lesson about basketball, I would rather be upset about our team in February and March, than not even caring anymore in December.

RougeDawg
03-20-2015, 10:50 AM

So what you're telling everyone here, "just keep playing defense, the offense will take care of itself" Is the mindset and game plan of a "Great floor coach".

At least your post can be defended by the timestamp. The liquor stores did open at 10 am.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:52 AM
At least your post can be defended by the timestamp. The liquor stores did open at 10 am.

Ha!

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-20-2015, 11:01 AM

I will say it. Les Miles is a better coach than Dan Mullen because of on the field results. Until Dan Mullen wins a National Title and has top 10 recruiting classes year in and year out this will be true. Having LSU on your helmet or jersey doesn't automatically equal winning (ask Gerry Dinardo).

This is the same reason that Jones is one of the better coaches in the SEC. BECAUSE HE RECROOTS SO WELL. You can make the exact same argument about Rick Ray and John Calapari. Calapari isnt some innovative X's and O's genius. He simply has better players than everyone else. You would probably argue that Rick Ray could coach circles around Calapari if he didn't have 7 future NBA guys, but in reality (where only one of us in this comversation resides) it doesn't 17'ing matter.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
I will say it. Les Miles is a better coach than Dan Mullen because of on the field results. Until Dan Mullen wins a National Title (and plays in another) and has top 10 recruiting classes year in and year out this will be true. Having LSU on your helmet or jersey doesn't automatically equal winning (ask Gerry Dinardo).

This is the same reason that Jones is one of the better coaches in the SEC. BECAUSE HE RECROOTS SO WELL. You can make the exact same argument about Rick Ray and John Calapari. Calapari isnt some innovative X's and O's genius. He simply has better players than everyone else. You would probably argue that Rick Ray could coach circles around Calapari if he didn't have 7 future NBA guys, but in reality (where only one of us in this comversation resides) it doesn't 17'ing matter.

Well said, Bruce. I added a little tidbit though.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 11:06 AM

That's not even a close to apt comparison. Mullen just had us ranked #1 in the country, has taken us bowling 5 straight years (probably the equivalent of 3 ncaa tourneys and 2 NIT tourneys), just went to a "BCS" bowl (equivalent of a 2 seed), beat lsu in their house at night, finished ahead of lsu in the west this year, and went to a better bowl than lsu this year. So there's at least plenty of evidence to suggest mullen is at minimum a good coach and you can argue the difference between him and miles over the long run really is the ability for LSU to sign a top 10 class every season without leaving their state. Ray hasn't shown any production on the court to support your statements. Literally has shown nothing.

RougeDawg
03-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Righttttttt

A better bench

and lost

That was one of LSUs worst and sloppiest games of the year. LSU Shot 37% to our 44% but shot 17 more shots. We shot 36% from 3 to their 17%. We made 23 of 35 free throws to their 11 of 21.

For the season LSU shot 45.6% from the field and 34% from 3 point, so they clearly had an off game against us. In comparison, on the season we shot 43% from the field and 30.6% from 3.

Conclusion. We shot slightly better than our averages, against LSU, in this game while they shot well below their season average against us, yet only lost by 6. Nothing about any of this tells anyone that Ray is better than Jones at any aspect of basketball, coaching or recruiting. The win was a matter of circumstance and the circumstance was LSU being way off during that particular game.

The following game against TN we were once again unconsciously shooting the lights out. We shot 56% from the field to their 42%. We shot 73% from 3 to their 25%.

It required extremes away from one teams season average in both instances for us to come away with victory. That's why the remainder of the season we lost the majority of the games, because our offensive averages were some of the worst in the nation.

msstate7
03-20-2015, 11:18 AM
That was one of LSUs worst and sloppiest games of the year. LSU Shot 37% to our 44% but shot 17 more shots. We shot 36% from 3 to their 17%. We made 23 of 35 free throws to their 11 of 21.

For the season LSU shot 45.6% from the field and 34% from 3 point, so they clearly had an off game against us. In comparison, on the season we shot 43% from the field and 30.6% from 3.

Conclusion. We shot slightly better than our averages, against LSU, in this game while they shot well below their season average against us, yet only lost by 6. Nothing about any of this tells anyone that Ray is better than Jones at any aspect of basketball, coaching or recruiting. The win was a matter of circumstance and the circumstance was LSU being way off during that particular game.

The following game against TN we were once again unconsciously shooting the lights out. We shot 56% from the field to their 42%. We shot 73% from 3 to their 25%.

It required extremes away from one teams season average in both instances for us to come away with victory. That's why the remainder of the season we lost the majority of the games, because our offensive averages were some of the worst in the nation.

Lsu lost to us, mizzou, and auburn twice

dawgs
03-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Our poor shooting in literally almost every other game is not ray's fault. However when we shoot lights out for 2 games it's a sign that ray is coaching his ass off.

Likewise, when other teams have off nights, it's a sign that the coach is a bum (even if they make the tourney!). But when they shoot lights out, it's because they have superior players, and the coach still sucks worse than our <.400 coach (even if he takes them to the tourney!).

Right C34?

RougeDawg
03-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Lsu lost to us, mizzou, and auburn twice

Ok. Doesn't refute how far from the norm LSU's stats were in the game vs us and how far from the norm ours were on edging out Tennessee.

If I had to bet I'd say there were similar circumstances in those games LSU played as well.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I didn't realize we had so many people here that would rather have Miles than Mullen

msstate7
03-20-2015, 11:29 AM
I didn't realize we had so many people here that would rather have Miles than Mullen
I don't. If you flipped coaches, Mullen would have lsu right there with bama. On miles' watch, lsu has fallen to 2nd tier in the sec

RossDawg82
03-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Who cares about 1 game. Why we are basing the success of our coach to a game against one team is beyond me. Justify in any way you wish, but at the end of the day, we are a horrible product from top to bottom. We have lost all support for the program, and the only reason that he is still coaching is because of Pride from our AD. There isn't anyone who cares at all about MSU basketball that can look in the mirror and say that they have any confidence that RR will turn this around or be even the slightest bit successful. He will not, and it is the players and the fans that have to suffer. So enjoy another year of 1500 fans during conference games and a 13 win season, because I honestly think RR has peaked at MSU. This is like a bad marriage, sometimes you just know that its not going to work.

dawgs
03-20-2015, 11:59 AM

I'd rather have mullen, but because I can see that mullen has closed the gap in the on field results enough to make the intellectual leap from mullen taking our guys where he did this past season to what he could do if he had the advantages of lsu football. ray hasn't done anything to justify taking that intellectual leap.

maroonmania
03-20-2015, 12:14 PM

This is apples and oranges because Miles, Mullen and Jones ALL WIN. Even before last August Mullen had taken us to 4 straight bowl games. When you talk Miles, Mullen, Jones and Ray there is one in there not like the others because that one has never come close to a winning season.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 12:38 PM
This is just hilarious. So many "Les Miles sux as a coach but wins with talent" posts over time here- but now suddenly he is awesome because you guys backed yourself into a corner. I love it.

9 out of 10 people in the city I live in would tell you Mullen is a better coach than Miles- and half would want him as the next LSU coach

bluelightstar
03-20-2015, 12:40 PM
This is just hilarious. So many "Les Miles sux as a coach but wins with talent" posts over time here- but now suddenly he is awesome because you guys backed yourself into a corner. I love it.

9 out of 10 people in the city I live in would tell you Mullen is a better coach than Miles- and half would want him as the next LSU coach

That Miles/Mullen deflection is such obvious bait that I am literally shocked by how many people want to debate it with you

Political Hack
03-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Rick Ray's jock strap aint that big.

tcdog70
03-20-2015, 12:46 PM
one of the best x and os Coach i've ever seen is Bob Boyd--but with no talent that means your ass will lose. I saw JJ 's team execute an out of bound play. That is way more than Ricky Ray. Please tell us one good set RR runs on offense. Give an example of his excellent floor coaching ability. He is absolutely to worst Coach from top to bottom in the SEC. Coach you have found another way to up your hits, but Damn Man is it worth it? I didn't think your basketball post could get any more stupid.

MadDawg
03-20-2015, 12:51 PM

And 9.9 out of 10 people in the city everyone lives in would tell you Jones is a better coach than Ray - and 99.9% would want to keep Jones as the LSU coach.

Refute it.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 01:06 PM
one of the best x and os Coach i've ever seen is Bob Boyd--but with no talent that means your ass will lose. I saw JJ 's team execute an out of bound play. That is way more than Ricky Ray. Please tell us one good set RR runs on offense. Give an example of his excellent floor coaching ability. He is absolutely to worst Coach from top to bottom in the SEC. Coach you have found another way to up your hits, but Damn Man is it worth it? I didn't think your basketball post could get any more stupid.

ya'll are some dumb mf'ers

1st of all- not one time in this thread have I said Ray is some great coach- I have said he coaches a game better than Johnny Jones- it ain't even close.

Ray has easily the worst 8-9 player rotation in the SEC- yet was a break or two from winning 8-9 SEC games. We absolutely in no way underachieved with the roster we put in the floor. So that obviously says the guy is at worst a decent coach. Is he awesome? **** no he isn't. But he does a better job of coaching the players he has than JJ does.

As far as a set he ran? The last game we played- Auburn. We ran a double post ball screen for IJ at the top of the key- IJ came of the screen to the left- Sword faked high and back cut- IJ hit him for an uncontested lay-up. There is your set you asked for.

Coach34
03-20-2015, 01:10 PM
And 9.9 out of 10 people in the city everyone lives in would tell you Jones is a better coach than Ray - and 99.9% would want to keep Jones as the LSU coach.

Refute it.

wrong- one of the Surgeons I work with laughs at Jones. His words today "an empty chair can coach better than Jones. I saw last night coming a mile away"

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 01:15 PM
wrong- one of the Sturgeons I work with laughs at Jones. His words today "an empty chair can coach better than Jones. I saw last night coming a mile away"

Oh, so 1 person's comment out of a 1 person sample-size? Glad we got that cleared up.***

And where do you work that you can talk to fish?***

msstate7
03-20-2015, 01:16 PM
And where do you work that you can talk to fish?***

Haha

MadDawg
03-20-2015, 01:17 PM
wrong- one of the Surgeons I work with laughs at Jones. His words today "an empty chair can coach better than Jones. I saw last night coming a mile away"

That still doesn't mean he would rather have Ray. It hasn't been established yet that Ray > empty chair.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 01:17 PM
It hasn't been established yet that Ray > empty chair.

You're on a roll.

ETA: I didn't realize RR was guest of honor at the RNC...

http://www.motherjones.com/files/clint-eastwood-chair-rnc-2012.jpg

thf24
03-20-2015, 01:18 PM
As far as a set he ran? The last game we played- Auburn. We ran a double post ball screen for IJ at the top of the key- IJ came of the screen to the left- Sword faked high and back cut- IJ hit him for an uncontested lay-up. There is your set you asked for.

There was actually quite a bit of these kinds of offensive improvements down the last stretch of the year, even as people on here continued to complain that Ray doesn't know how to run an offense. Likely because they either didn't want to acknowledge it or they were so tuned out at that point. It didn't really amount to much because no matter how good your offensive gameplan is, it doesn't mean anything if your guys can't put the ball in the hole, something our less-than-stellar talent level made difficult. While I'm not all that happy with Ray right now and wouldn't be devastated if a change was made now, I still think he can turn it around with the potential talent upgrades coming in over the next two years, because his offense isn't as bad as it looked this year or many of you claim it is.

msstate7
03-20-2015, 01:25 PM
There was actually quite a bit of these kinds of offensive improvements down the last stretch of the year, even as people on here continued to complain that Ray doesn't know how to run an offense. Likely because they either didn't want to acknowledge it or they were so tuned out at that point. It didn't really amount to much because no matter how good your offensive gameplan is, it doesn't mean anything if your guys can't put the ball in the hole, something our less-than-stellar talent level made difficult. While I'm not all that happy with Ray right now and wouldn't be devastated if a change was made now, I still think he can turn it around with the potential talent upgrades coming in over the next two years, because his offense isn't as bad as it looked this year or many of you claim it is.

I don't think I saw a team miss more point blank shots than us this year. If our guys could just make an easy shot/layup, our assists and point totals would look much better.

I certainly believe talent is the main issue. If ray wasn't showing life on the recruiting trail, I'd be ready to pull the trigger too. I really like tookie, weatherspoon, hicks, and Simonds. Ray needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat and land Malik, mulder, or juco pf

SouthMsDawg
03-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Righttttttt

A better bench

and lost

I guess you are using the LSU win from this season as Ray's "Marquee Win" at MSU.

If spinning things that way makes you better have at it, however Johnny Jones has won a lot of games as a HC and now has coached 2 teams into the NCAA tournament. Ray is basing his job and career off just getting into the NIT next year. Jones has 2 McDonalds AAs coming in next year we have one all State guy coming in and a kid from Carver who averaged 6ppg this season.

HancockCountyDog
03-20-2015, 01:42 PM
If and when Newman signs with LSU, we will just have to hope that LSU has to suffer through another tourney season with a terrible coach.

I wish my suffering came with a tourney appearance as a prize. Every day I go to my mailbox looking for my Rick Ray prize, and every day it's empty.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-20-2015, 01:42 PM
ya'll are some dumb mf'ers

1st of all- not one time in this thread have I said Ray is some great coach- I have said he coaches a game better than Johnny Jones- it ain't even close.

Ray has easily the worst 8-9 player rotation in the SEC- yet was a break or two from winning 8-9 SEC games. We absolutely in no way underachieved with the roster we put in the floor. So that obviously says the guy is at worst a decent coach. Is he awesome? **** no he isn't. But he does a better job of coaching the players he has than JJ does.

Here is where your argument goes down the drain. You act like it is some piece of bad luck that we have the worst players in the league. Rick Ray is responsible for this. Getting talented players to come to State is part of his job as the coach.

quickstrike2
03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Can we please keep this floor coaching amazingness quiet. Like I said yesterday, I am afraid somebody is going to take this man away from us.*******

Coach34
03-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Here is where your argument goes down the drain. You act like it is some piece of bad luck that we have the worst players in the league. Rick Ray is responsible for this. Getting talented players to come to State is part of his job as the coach.
I understand that and he has failed miserably in recruiting to this point. Having Bloodman and Endo come in as subs is ridiculous in Year 3. I'm with you 100%. That's why I said I would be totally fine if we bought him out and sent him packing. But he is still a better floor coach than JJ

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Then wtf are you talking about? We can only go off what we see with our eyes. Observation. This isn't imagination land. Rick Ray can't even have a winning season, let alone a spot in the big dance.

Shit, that's like me saying "I'd be a world-class painter, if it wasn't for my horrible brush-strokes".

I'd be rich if I wasn't broke.

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Righttttttt

A better bench

and lost

Ok. Ok. Ray is better than Jones. (Said while patting his head and leading him away to his padded cell)

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 03:15 PM

How can it be overachieving when he is better than Jones?

MadDawg
03-20-2015, 03:19 PM
How can it be overachieving when he is better than Jones?

That circular logic thing is a bitch, isn't it?

TheDogFather
03-20-2015, 03:19 PM

How can you say Ray would win with better talent? He has never won with anything. Hell Ray may be worse with better talent but you don't know either way.