PDA

View Full Version : This is what they look like

ShotgunDawg
03-19-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but I'm just saying that this is what they look like. I hope we have him for more than 2 years

Gerri Green pic from yesterday

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/416/495/3495416.jpg

Coach34
03-19-2015, 12:21 PM
It's unlikely Green even starts for 2 years

ShotgunDawg
03-19-2015, 12:23 PM
It's unlikely Green even starts for 2 years

WOW! Then I would assume that we have a chance to be unbelievable on defense.

msstate7
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM

Chris jones is just now starting. BTW... Has Chris slimmed up

Coach34
03-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Unless Benni leaves after 2015- nowhere for him to play. The Browns are going to start and our WLB and SS will be hybrid guys

Coach34
03-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Chris jones is just now starting. BTW... Has Chris slimmed up

Has Chris Jones even started 1 game for us yet?

msstate7
03-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Has Chris Jones even started 1 game for us yet?

No. I was referring to him starting this upcoming year

FISHDAWG
03-19-2015, 12:49 PM
don't know about actually starting but I have seen him in very early on the opening defensive series in several games ... it did seem like he actually started a game, can't remember

RougeDawg
03-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Gerri will probably play 30% of snaps on 1B's and we will waste his talent like we have done with Chris Jones. Our defensive line was a beast with Preston and Jones in at the same time, yet Collins treated these type lineups like the plague. I just pray Manny doesnt do this same type of ridiculous bullshit with our better players.

smootness
03-19-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't understand, are there more pictures?

Gerri Green is going to be an absolute monster, btw. I would guess he forces himself into the rotation pretty heavily.

Homedawg
03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Gerri will probably play 30% of snaps on 1B's and we will waste his talent like we have done with Chris Jones. Our defensive line was a beast with Preston and Jones in at the same time, yet Collins treated these type lineups like the plague. I just pray Manny doesnt do this same type of ridiculous bullshit with our better players.

How have we wasted Chris jones? He didn't play hard last year. He was too easily blocked. And don't say because we beefed him up. He's a huge human. Keeping him near 305 is hard enough.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
These are Chad Bumphis' words not mine, so don't crawl my ass after you read it....

He said on BSR this morning that the other players on the team told him that by mid season people will forget who B. McKinney was. Said he was much more athletic than B Mac.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Chris Jones is never going to be under 300 again

smootness
03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
These are Chad Bumphis' words not mine, so don't crawl my ass after you read it....

He said on BSR this morning that the other players on the team told him that by mid season people will forget who B. McKinney was. Said he was much more athletic than B Mac.

He'll have to go out and do it, but he's capable of that. He was clearly the best player in MS in 2013.

Jack Lambert
03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I get worried everytime I see one of our guys. I am usually as big and just as in shape and there is no way I could suit up and go.

smootness
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I get worried everytime I see one of our guys. I am usually as big and just as in shape and there is no way I could suit up and go.

I have no clue what this means.

mic
03-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Once Chris J understands he is a DT and will be a DT at the next level he will be a monster.. Hopefully that is this year...

Dallas_Dawg
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Once Chris J understands he is a DT and will be a DT at the next level he will be a monster.. Hopefully that is this year...

He can be a 3-4 defensive end like his big brother Fletcher Cox at the pro level. He will have to earn that first round grade playing a 4-3 Defensive tackle, however. Hopefully Diaz can light a fire under his ass this year

Treemydawg
03-19-2015, 07:03 PM

^^^^this. I hope this 1b shit is a thing of the past. I was blasted and several posters wanted me banned for speaking out against it early in the season last year. cough(WMD)cough. The 1a and 1b experiment was a total cluster17 and should never be tried again. Put your best players on the field and let them play. The 1b experiment proved that it doesn't work when we got to SEC play.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 07:08 PM
You better hope we play 1B's- that's hiw Gerri will get on the field more

AlSwearengen
03-19-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't mind 1b as long as there aren't 10 other 1b's out there with them at the same time.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 07:31 PM
I agree- I prefer a mix at different points- never a whole damn unit

Dawgcentral
03-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I don't mind 1b as long as there aren't 10 other 1b's out there with them at the same time.
I was about to make a similar statement. Selective substitution would serve us better. Can we not develop depth this way? We can be well rested in the 4th quarter without giving up 90 yard passes and runs during the course of the game.

bulldawg28
03-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Green is too talented not to play. I expect many packages created for him.

Really Clark?
03-19-2015, 07:39 PM
^^^^this. I hope this 1b shit is a thing of the past. I was blasted and several posters wanted me banned for speaking out against it early in the season last year. cough(WMD)cough. The 1a and 1b experiment was a total cluster17 and should never be tried again. Put your best players on the field and let them play. The 1b experiment proved that it doesn't work when we got to SEC play.

Disagree. Portions of the 1B personel didn't work and that should have been adjusted. But because of the high number of plays our defense played last year, it was a good thought. If we had played traditional minutes of 1's and 2's with the number of plays our defense played the expectation would have been fatigue that could have cost us more games and/or more injuries. Our defense played 15% more plays this year compared to last. That's a big jump. The failure of the 1b's wasn't the general concept it was the adjusting for personel. Some guys just wasn't ready. And as far as DL goes the rotation and reps percentages were not as big of a difference compared to the past. You have to keep DL fresh.

Treemydawg
03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Disagree. Portions of the 1B personel didn't work and that should have been adjusted. But because of the high number of plays our defense played last year, it was a good thought. If we had played traditional minutes of 1's and 2's with the number of plays our defense played the expectation would have been fatigue that could have cost us more games and/or more injuries. Our defense played 15% more plays this year compared to last. That's a big jump. The failure of the 1b's wasn't the general concept it was the adjusting for personel. Some guys just wasn't ready. And as far as DL goes the rotation and reps percentages were not as big of a difference compared to the past. You have to keep DL fresh.
I agree with this for the most part, yes you have to keep players fresh, BUT you do not have to have mass subs on D to keep your players fresh. Rotate guys in and out periodically in the game as they get tired. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT mass sub a whole group of players (1b) for a more talented group of guys that are tired.The scheme of a different unit of players- (1a)-(1b) who aren't as talented as the other group will never work. When a (1a) player gets tired sub someone else in, let the (1a) guy get a rest, and once he has get his ass back in the game because he will more than likely have a bigger impact on the game than the (1b) guy. There is a reason for having starters and second or third team players, its because the starters are better, just do what you can to keep them on the field.

Really Clark?
03-19-2015, 08:23 PM
I agree with this for the most part, yes you have to keep players fresh, BUT you do not have to have mass subs on D to keep your players fresh. Rotate guys in and out periodically in the game as they get tired. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT mass sub a whole group of players (1b) for a more talented group of guys that are tired.The scheme of a different unit of players- (1a)-(1b) who aren't as talented as the other group will never work. When a (1a) player gets tired sub someone else in, let the (1a) guy get a rest, and once he has get his ass back in the game because he will more than likely have a bigger impact on the game than the (1b) guy. There is a reason for having starters and second or third team players, its because the starters are better, just do what you can to keep them on the field.

Well we are splitting hairs somewhat here because we are probably in the same playbook, but I think again the concept of what they wanted to do with a 1b group was fine. Part of that equation was to actually play them more than just when the starters were tired. A departure from the traditional substitution you are suggesting. I really believe coach was as honest and candid about our team during the pregame speech at LSU that was recorded. I think the coaches had a really good feel that offensively this unit was going to be pretty special if it just executed. The counter to an offense that is explosive and running a lot of plays like we did last year is it requires the defense to play a lot more. Which we did. I think the concept was born from studying high powered offenses and some of the failings of accompanying defenses and the issue we have harped on for some time and that is our defense giving out late in games. The failure again was the personel and the groupings and how that was handled. Honestly even the wholesale change deal would not have been so bad if it wasn't for a few weak links. However that was the glaring mistake that should have been corrected. A change in those decisions probably gets us pretty close to the groupings that the majority of us would have applauded. It was close to being a great strategy but it is seen as mostly a failure because of the lack of in season personel adjustment. And rightly so.

Treemydawg
03-19-2015, 08:35 PM
You are right on cue with the concept of what they wanted to do with the 1b group, its a great concept and idea as long as 1b group is as talented as 1a, but they weren't and the defense suffered as a whole because of the 1b mass sub unit. You are exactly right in saying we are splitting hairs. I think we both agree on the same concepts, maybe I'm just not explaining my side of the concept as well as I should.

ShotgunDawg
03-19-2015, 10:42 PM
I don't understand, are there more pictures?

Gerri Green is going to be an absolute monster, btw. I would guess he forces himself into the rotation pretty heavily.

It's an evaluation term. When you say, "This is what they look like" you are referring the belief that the player looks like a star or NFL player. The truth is that most NFL, MLB, or NBA players have a certain look to them that the general population doesn't have.

An experienced NFL scout would likely see that picture of Green & notice his size, body type, and the general flexibility & posture in his body that is noticeable by the stance he is in.

I know it sounds weird, but, if an experienced evaluator saw that picture, he would immediately try to find out how that person was, write his name down, and make sure he scouted him.

hells bells
03-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Chris Jones is never going to be under 300 again

My mother-in-law said the same thing about her weight 34. She was right.

Jack Lambert
03-20-2015, 07:50 AM
I have no clue what this means.

I am a big guy but I don't feel like I am big enough to play and when I see them in person and stand next to them I don't know what to think.

Barking 13
03-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Disagree. Portions of the 1B personel didn't work and that should have been adjusted. But because of the high number of plays our defense played last year, it was a good thought. If we had played traditional minutes of 1's and 2's with the number of plays our defense played the expectation would have been fatigue that could have cost us more games and/or more injuries. The 1b's caused our defense to have to play 15% more plays this year compared to last. That's a big jump. The failure of the 1b's wasn't the general concept it was the adjusting for personel. Some guys just wasn't ready. And as far as DL goes the rotation and reps percentages were not as big of a difference compared to the past. You have to keep DL fresh.

FIFY - but they got 15% more experience***

thf24
03-20-2015, 01:44 PM
The biggest problem with the 1B's was not the whole unit substitution (even though it was a problem), it was that there were zero scheme or role changes made between the two units. Zach Jackson is not a bad player, but the majority of our fanbase now thinks so because he was inserted into the spot of a freak athlete who could play linebacker, safety, and probably even a little corner with zero scheme adjustments, and expected to play the same role with the same responsibilities. Naturally, he got burned badly on multiple occasions, and now everyone thinks he sucks. If we're going to continue the whole unit substitutions (which I hope we don't), I hope Manny realizes, unlike Collins, that there is going to be drop off and shifts in skill sets when moving down the depth chart, and that he needs to adjust accordingly.

Aces High
03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
It's an evaluation term. When you say, "This is what they look like" you are referring the belief that the player looks like a star or NFL player. The truth is that most NFL, MLB, or NBA players have a certain look to them that the general population doesn't have.

An experienced NFL scout would likely see that picture of Green & notice his size, body type, and the general flexibility & posture in his body that is noticeable by the stance he is in.

I know it sounds weird, but, if an experienced evaluator saw that picture, he would immediately try to find out how that person was, write his name down, and make sure he scouted him.

You are such a troll...

Really Clark?
03-20-2015, 01:53 PM
FIFY - but they got 15% more experience***

Haha. I think it had more to do with our offense but appreciate the sarcasm.

FlabLoser
03-20-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm with Aces on this one. Have been for some time.

bulldawg28
03-20-2015, 02:45 PM
You are such a troll...

This is true I mean the evaluation. Scouts are suckers for measurables.

maroonmania
03-20-2015, 03:02 PM
You better hope we play 1B's- that's hiw Gerri will get on the field more

Subbing players in for downs or even series happens everywhere. It was the wholesale changeout of our entire defense every other series like a hockey line that was so ridiculous last year. Green will get his snaps for sure.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-20-2015, 04:27 PM

For what it's worth

Mullen spoke at a lunch in Starkville a few weeks ago, and said something pretty similar to this.