PDA

View Full Version : WR/TE question...

HoopsCoach21
03-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know anything on Shelby Christy and Jessie Jackson? I know they have both been injured (Christy's being much more recent) but I was wondering how they are coming along.

Also I think I heard rumors at one time or another on one or both of these guys that they could be moved to TE eventually. That might be the best move for them if they don't have the speed to play receiver but I was really hoping one of them could develop into a big target on the outside when Bear moves on. Moving them to TE could be the better move though because I'm not sure what we have after Walley. The Hutcherson kid seems to have the size and the tools but he didn't show much last year.

I'm probably more excited about our WR core this year than I can ever remember and I'm hoping these guys others can help us have continued success there in the future. Thoughts?

smootness
03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I want them both at WR. Hammond and Christy came in the same class, and I don't want them both going to TE.

Also, if Dontea Jones is moving to TE, we absolutely need some bigger targets on the outside. We are loaded in the slot for the future, and have plenty of numbers at TE. We need WR.

Really Clark?
03-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Jackson is working the same WR spot as Fred Brown. Thomas and Gray are working outside and slot WR positions. Christy is working with TE. Malik Dear is working slot and RB. Ross is 1st team slot followed by Myles right now

Bothrops
03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
We don't need anymore TE's. We need to go with the players we have, which is 4 or 5 guys.

War Machine Dawg
03-18-2015, 03:18 PM
We don't need anymore TE's. We need to go with the players we have, which is 4 or 5 guys.

Uhhhh.....we don't have ANY reliable TEs right now. Walley is injury prone and no one else has played more than about 15 snaps. Hutcherson has potential, but we wasted him last year on STs and a very few offensive snaps. He should've redshirted. After that, we have no one at TE. Rashun Dixon hasn't played football in years. I actually like moving Christy to give us another option. Counting on an injury prone TE, a JUCO who's barely played, and a true freshman isn't a recipe for success.

Really Clark?
03-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Uhhhh.....we don't have ANY reliable TEs right now. Walley is injury prone and no one else has played more than about 15 snaps. Hutcherson has potential, but we wasted him last year on STs and a very few offensive snaps. He should've redshirted. After that, we have no one at TE. Rashun Dixon hasn't played football in years. I actually like moving Christy to give us another option. Counting on an injury prone TE, a JUCO who's barely played, and a true freshman isn't a recipe for success.

I agree with you. Don't forget Hammond, although he is another with no experience. I would like to have about 6 guys who all have different TE skill sets for this offense. From the type that can be a traditional attached type TE to H-Back to a split end receiving threat, hybrids.

mic
03-18-2015, 04:01 PM
How times have changed... The only offensive concerns we have going into the season is at TE. Should tell you all you need to know about how good our offense should be and will be next year...
And FWIW we will be fine at TE.. And actually if a few can step up and run block well we will be just as good or better at the position..

smootness
03-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Regardless of whether we have any proven guys at TE, throwing more unproven guys over there doesn't solve it. We don't have many outside WRs that will be underclassmen next year. Taking one or two of them and moving them to TE doesn't really solve the TE issue, and it weakens our future at WR, which is more important.

Todd4State
03-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Regardless of whether we have any proven guys at TE, throwing more unproven guys over there doesn't solve it. We don't have many outside WRs that will be underclassmen next year. Taking one or two of them and moving them to TE doesn't really solve the TE issue, and it weakens our future at WR, which is more important.

At some point we have to stop making every WR that is over 6'4" a TE. Especially since there is a trend of big WR's like Calvin Johnson, Kelvin Benjamin and Bear Wilson in football nowadays. Traditional TE's are starting to be Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski sized. 6'6"-6'7" 260-265 guys.

And I do not want a 5'8" guy like Deddrick Thomas lining up at the outside WR spot. Steve Smith is the exception to that rule.

Todd4State
03-18-2015, 04:34 PM
How times have changed... The only offensive concerns we have going into the season is at TE. Should tell you all you need to know about how good our offense should be and will be next year...
And FWIW we will be fine at TE.. And actually if a few can step up and run block well we will be just as good or better at the position..

I think we have a chance to have a lot of different types of weapons than at any other time in Dan's tenure. My fear is that Dan won't use those players to maximize what our offense can be.

If Walley ends up being the TE- I'm fine with that. He's a solid player that is only going to get better if he can stay healthy.

Really Clark?
03-18-2015, 04:39 PM

I agree we need to sign outside guys in this class for sure but I think the fact that guys are being moved with what we already have on the team should let you know that they probably are not going to play outside WR either. The move is two fold, helps the TE position but also gives them a better chance to get on the field. It doesn't look like they would have cracked the two deep at outside WR this year either and that's with younger guys already jumping them. They are going to get buried if the coaches don't do the right thing and that's try to find a position on the field where they can contribute. Other guys are or are being projected to pass by them. Including a RS freshman and true freshman. And when Jones comes in I suspect he will jump up the TE depth chart pretty quick as well. But who knows some guys come on later than others and some always are just pretty good at multiple positions but can never reach the next level.

smootness
03-18-2015, 04:49 PM
I agree we need to sign outside guys in this class for sure but I think the fact that guys are being moved with what we already have on the team should let you know that they probably are not going to play outside WR either. The move is two fold, helps the TE position but also gives them a better chance to get on the field. It doesn't look like they would have cracked the two deep at outside WR this year either and that's with younger guys already jumping them. They are going to get buried if the coaches don't do the right thing and that's try to find a position on the field where they can contribute. Other guys are or are being projected to pass by them. Including a RS freshman and true freshman. And when Jones comes in I suspect he will jump up the TE depth chart pretty quick as well. But who knows some guys come on later than others and some always are just pretty good at multiple positions but can never reach the next level.

But who are these young outside WRs?

After next year we'll have Wilson, Ross, and Brown as SRs (if they don't leave) and then what? We needs guys like Christy and Jackson to step up behind them.

And Todd, I agree we need to keep some of these guys on the outside. It's the same criticism I've had about our tendency to take every bigger edge rusher and move them inside to DT. It's part of the reason we've had issues with a lack of true pass rushers at DE at times.

Really Clark?
03-18-2015, 05:01 PM

After next year we'll have Wilson, Ross, and Brown as SRs (if they don't leave) and then what? We needs guys like Christy and Jackson to step up behind them.

And Todd, I agree we need to keep some of these guys on the outside. It's the same criticism I've had about our tendency to take every bigger edge rusher and move them inside to DT. It's part of the reason we've had issues with a lack of true pass rushers at DE at times.

Justin Johnson, Jackson, we will have to decide what to do with Cam Myers but outside is a definite possibility along with Spivey, plus the guys we sign in 2016 and who's to say that one of them might move back. But for right now they are buried and cannot get reps at Outside WR. But that gives you at least 5 outside guys with Gray working multiple positions. Also, let's see how the spring works out does anybody not see a scenario where Ross is moved back out because of the slot position.

Eta. Right now I think it will work out but if we have guys declare early for the draft there could be an issue. And this is the spring, nothing is set in stone.

mic
03-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Dont everyone close the book on Gabe being a solid SEC WR for us. Remember he will just be a soph. Has good size.
Everyone is quick to fall in love with 6'4 .. 6'5 WR .. Lot more to playing that position than just having good size and looking the part...

The staff must feel VERY comfortable about our WR core in the next few years based on the move of Graham to defense.
There are some really good looking big outside WR in this years recruiting class. We have a great shot at a number of them and they will all have a year or 2 to get ready .. Won't have to come in right away and get thrown into the fire..

And I Have a strong feeling you will see a lot of the WR core lined up all over the field this year in different positions.. Get the best guys on the field ...

Todd4State
03-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Dont everyone close the book on Gabe being a solid SEC WR for us. Remember he will just be a soph. Has good size.
Everyone is quick to fall in love with 6'4 .. 6'5 WR .. Lot more to playing that position than just having good size and looking the part...

The staff must feel VERY comfortable about our WR core in the next few years based on the move of Graham to defense.
There are some really good looking big outside WR in this years recruiting class. We have a great shot at a number of them and they will all have a year or 2 to get ready .. Won't have to come in right away and get thrown into the fire..

And I Have a strong feeling you will see a lot of the WR core lined up all over the field this year in different positions.. Get the best guys on the field ...

I don't have a problem with small WR's- I just want them in the slot. I want the outside WR's to be at least 6'1" and ideally 6'5". Bear is my prototype.

I'm glad they moved Graham because he dropped a lot of passes last year. He didn't really impress me that much- but I could see him doing better at CB. Dear, Thomas, Mixon, and Gray is only a sophomore not to mention Myles- all of those guys are better than Graham at slot IMO.

Todd4State
03-18-2015, 05:29 PM

I hear you about the pass rushers as well. A guy comes in at 250- let's beef em up.