PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Jay Harris (ESPN) say

TheDogFather
03-17-2015, 11:15 PM
"Ole Miss"? Only "Mississippi". Interesting.

BossDawg
03-18-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm surprised more people don't say "Mississippi". Evidently they just don't know the meaning behind "Ole Miss", because it's not really out there or in any modern literature that I know of. I do know there are several older books about slavery and the South that reference the origin of "Ole Miss". They're relatively easy to find using a quick Google search.

TheDogFather
03-18-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm surprised more people don't say "Mississippi". Evidently they just don't know the meaning behind "Ole Miss", because it's not really out there or in any modern literature that I know of. I do know there are several older books about slavery and the South that reference the origin of "Ole Miss". They're relatively easy to find using a quick Google search.

Sure.

Moreover Harris was saying "Mississippi" over and over as the graphic was showing "ole Miss" over and over. Made it quite strange.

Howboutdemdogs
03-18-2015, 01:03 PM
UOM is promoting the logo "Ole Miss", just like we do Hail State. It is to differentiate itself and establishing a brand name again. This time, they are trying to do so without the stigma of the Old South. A lot of new and young fans don't even know their past. Morons. To me, the will always just be Ole Piss. Nuff said.

TheDogFather
03-18-2015, 03:43 PM
UOM is promoting the logo "Ole Miss", just like we do Hail State. It is to differentiate itself and establishing a brand name again. This time, they are trying to do so without the stigma of the Old South. A lot of new and young fans don't even know their past. Morons. To me, the will always just be Ole Piss. Nuff said.

I was thinking he refuses to utter a phrase so deeply connected with the oppression of his race. But I could be wrong.

MadDawg
03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm with Boss. It's totally blows my mind more people don't refuse to call the school by their stupid nickname. Is there any other school that gets referred to by a name that has nothing to do with the actual name of the school or the mascot?

Howboutdemdogs
03-18-2015, 05:30 PM
University of Miami comes to mind,,,,,The U. That is the only I think comes close.

RougeDawg
03-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I was thinking he refuses to utter a phrase so deeply connected with the oppression of his race. But I could be wrong.

This. And the same reason former Bearsharts in the NFL rarely use it. They no longer receive a paycheck from OM, so they no longer feel the need to be loyal or turn a bought blind eye to the real OM. Bear fans only care about minorities if they think they can help them on the court, field, or diamond. Just look at Oxford itself. I wasn't alive during segregation
but I get a taste of if every two years during the Egg Bowl. That place is the centerpiece of them being able to hold on to their "Traditions".

MadDawg
03-19-2015, 09:06 AM
I will say this about the rebnecks..... their master plan of ridding the university of the col rebel is working with the young kids. I hear from my rebel friends all the time about how their kids absolutely love the Bear mascot. And it drives them bat-shit crazy because they hate it worse than integration.