PDA

View Full Version : Your #1 football question you want answered this Spring?

Coach34
03-17-2015, 05:35 PM
For me-

How does the DL shake out? Brown and Jones are studs. AJ played well last year. Can Nick James step up and play half a game? Is Corey Thomas as good as advertised? Can Adams play more plays? Can the jucos provide good depth?

This group has talent- can they become the 2-deep we need to win 9-10 again?

Liverpooldawg
03-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Offensive line. Can we replace 3 guys who turned out to be pretty decent SEC linemen?

DCdawg
03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
RB. I want to see if Shumpert steps up to take the main role (though I'm sure it will be shared) or if Aeris or Dontavian push for more playing time.

msstate7
03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Of our RS freshmen, which ones are ready to contribute at a high level?

Homedawg
03-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Safety. Can Bryant step up and be a player(starter) as a RS fr. Or even show flashes. Can Coman and Evans become more serviceable.

I chose safety as a backup- dL is a bigger concern but coach had that covered.

Howboutdemdogs
03-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Defensive Backfield. What will the rotation be. Who steps up and who will learn / advance the most.

bluelightstar
03-17-2015, 06:17 PM
For me-

How does the DL shake out? Brown and Jones are studs. AJ played well last year. Can Nick James step up and play half a game? Is Corey Thomas as good as advertised? Can Adams play more plays? Can the jucos provide good depth?

This group has talent- can they become the 2-deep we need to win 9-10 again?

My #1 question. Obviously, having a great secondary would be preferable, but we won 10 games with those guys getting lit up pretty much every game. You can't win ten games if you're losing the battle at the line of scrimmage to other offensive lines. That's what I want to see, and I think it'll be fine, honestly.

Dawgowar
03-17-2015, 06:18 PM
How is Dan going to improve every aspect of our Special Teams? Can we attempt FG's of the routine variety in such a manner that I stay off the organ transplant list for heart and stomach?

Why can't our cheerleaders look like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbk92G655k

iPad not I loading correctly, sorry

starkvegasdawg
03-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Has 1b been forgotten?

Dawgowar
03-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Has 1b been forgotten?

+1

Dawg61
03-17-2015, 06:30 PM
How's Manny doing?

Alldawg
03-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Has 1b been forgotten?

Question 1b, if not, can we forget it

sbcmortgageman
03-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Me Who's gunna kick and how far can they kick it?

sandwolf
03-17-2015, 07:22 PM
1. Defensive Line
2. Kicker
3. Offensive Line....more specifically Martinez Rankin

Dawgcentral
03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Offensive line.
Running backs.
Can we burn an aggressive pass rush with screens.
Can we build a lead and get some playing time for the #2 QB.

I seen it dawg
03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Is Manny going to be left alone?

Todd4State
03-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I want to know if we are going to have more diversity on offense- Dear at ATH, Dixon at H-back/FB, etc.

Treemydawg
03-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Do we have a capable field goal kicker on the team?

TaleofTwoDogs
03-17-2015, 09:57 PM
#1 Question: Can we sustain success on the football field? If the answer is "yes" then concerns are moot, if not, then we are just MSU and "it don't matter anyhow".

Coach34
03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
#1 Question: Can we sustain success on the football field? If the answer is "yes" then concerns are moot, if not, then we are just MSU and "it don't matter anyhow".

well what is "sustain success"??

we've been successful 5 straight years as we have gone bowling each year. 8-4 in 2015 would be "success".

gravedigger
03-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Safety. Can Bryant step up and be a player(starter) as a RS fr. Or even show flashes. Can Coman and Evans become more serviceable.

I chose safety as a backup- dL is a bigger concern but coach had that covered.

Have to agree. Which is rare for you and me.

Id like to see how aggressive the d as a whole is.

Todd4State
03-17-2015, 11:28 PM

My thought and hope is that the LB's blitzing more and giving defenses different looks will help mask any problems we may have. The bad thing about doing what Geoff did is you put guys on islands and you're asking them to perform plus you're asking four d-linemen to get go up against at least five o-linemen to get pressure on the QB- and that to me is a numbers advantage for the offense unless you have an elite d-line.

The stats may prove me wrong, but it seemed to me like we had a hard time sacking the QB and creating turnovers. I think those are two areas that we should improve in whether my perception is right or wrong. If we do that, it will help us out with field position which theoretically should allow us to score more points on offense. As opposed to letting the other team drive 70-80 yards downfield take a bunch of time off the clock and keep our offense on the sideline.

Dawgface
03-18-2015, 06:07 AM
All areas discussed are important. Not sure what is #1. In general terms.....I'm interested in seeing how well the D performs under Manny. And who steps up at RB. Of course how well our RB's perform hinges on how well the guys do at OL. All are important areas.

FlabLoser
03-18-2015, 06:36 AM
I want to see the PK be 80%.

FISHDAWG
03-18-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm curious as to how many false starts we will have at left tackle with whoever replaces Clausell

Coach34
03-18-2015, 08:19 AM
I want to see the PK be 80%.

Didnt we do this last season?

Homedawg
03-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Ha. Good stuff digger

mic
03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Is Manny going to be left alone?

Exactly..
And which players are going to take the role of on the field and in the locker room leaders...
I think our team had better chemistry last year than our staff did...

Liverpooldawg
03-18-2015, 08:55 AM

we've been successful 5 straight years as we have gone bowling each year. 8-4 in 2015 would be "success".

We don't see eye to eye when it comes to basketball (to put it mildly) but we usually agree on football. That is spot on. When you are building a program in football the number one objective is to bowl every year. The real measure of how well you are doing long term isn't how high the highs are but how low the lows are. If you bring the floor up the ceiling usually rises with it. Thats what Mullen has done.

Coach34
03-18-2015, 09:05 AM
We don't see eye to eye when it comes to basketball (to put it mildly) but we usually agree on football. That is spot on. When you are building a program in football the number one objective is to bowl every year. The real measure of how well you are doing long term isn't how high the highs are but how low the lows are. If you bring the floor up the ceiling usually rises with it. Thats what Mullen has done.

Agreed. Our schedule is tougher than most. Our odd numbered seasons are tougher with Bama and LSU at home- plus the usual swing games on the road. This year we can hopefully pull an upset over one of the big boys at home. Both can be had this year. Getting LSU early is key and with what Bama lost- we have a shot there too.

But the bottom line is that only half the SEC has been to 5 straight bowls- so it's really a lot tougher than people want to give credit for. We have to continue to bowl- and find a way to win a couple big games.

sandwolf
03-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Didnt we do this last season?

Yes......Sobiesk made 86% (12 out of 14) of his field goals last year.

dawgpound
03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
to me it is how we replace the starters on the O-line and who will be the every down back that can fill that spot. I'm also interested in how our DB's will be but as mentioned earlier we weren't too great in that area last year and still had a great season so i'm not too concerned but our run game is vital and needs to be very productive

Schultzy
03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Can Clayborn be the road grater we thought he'd be last year? Can Rankin step in? Is Gerri Green going to be that next great LB?

tcdog70
03-18-2015, 12:10 PM
I want to see how well our backup QB can Play.(whomever that is). I want to see Williams and Lee run the ball. I want to see what Gray can do in the slot and as a returner. Green and the Holmes lb -Jung I want to see if they are ready. i have faith our OL will be AOK.

mic
03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
I want to see how well our backup QB can Play.(whomever that is). I want to see Williams and Lee run the ball. I want to see what Gray can do in the slot and as a returner. Green and the Holmes lb -Jung I want to see if they are ready. i have faith our OL will be AOK.

Jung won't be here until the summer.

Coach34
03-18-2015, 01:02 PM

Benni Brown is already our next great LB. Pro Scouts were talking at Pro Day about him being better than McKinney- just not as physically gifted. Green might end up being the best in awhile due to his talent plus what he can learn from the Brown brothers. I look for all 3 of those guys to be in at the same time on Goalline D

smootness
03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
There aren't many questions that can be answered in the spring.

Pretty much the only answers we'll get are with regard to position - Dear at RB or slot, Gerri Green at MLB, OLB, or with his hand on the ground some, etc.

We won't really know anything else until games start.

1bigdawg
03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Agreed. Our schedule is tougher than most. Our odd numbered seasons are tougher with Bama and LSU at home- plus the usual swing games on the road.

That is a historical perspective. Odd numbered seasons are tougher for a good team, but they are easier for a championship run. A great team can beat Bama and LSU at home and possibly run the table on the less traditional powers on the road. That is a lot easier than beating them both (as well as our cross state opponent) on the road.

There are fewer "easy" wins, but a better chance at the whole enchilada.

justwin
03-18-2015, 03:44 PM
has Mullen learned how to use a RB? the games we lost were b/c we didn't feed JRob, Griff, etc

most importantly, has Dak learned how to pitch/read the option? Not reading the option and not using the outside space lost us the Bama and OM game b/c he would never give it up on the speed sweep nor pitch in time on option plays.

tcdog70
03-18-2015, 03:56 PM
has Mullen learned how to use a RB? the games we lost were b/c we didn't feed JRob, Griff, etc

most importantly, has Dak learned how to pitch/read the option? Not reading the option and not using the outside space lost us the Bama and OM game b/c he would never give it up on the speed sweep nor pitch in time on option plays.

I don't know about that. Sometimes the defense won't let you run. 8 and 9 in the box will stop a running game. But that means that we have single coverage's that we can exploit. The slot man should take over a game. Also Wilson should kill them with 8 men in the box.Screen passes --use it.

Barking 13
03-18-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm curious as to how many false starts we will have at left tackle with whoever replaces Clausell

;)

TaleofTwoDogs
03-18-2015, 11:35 PM

"sustain success means competing with your own conference on a consistent basis. It means beating LSU, Bama, & Alabama more often than once a decade. If you can run with the big boys without stumbling you have achieved the sustained success.

Where'sWaldo
03-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I don't know about that. Sometimes the defense won't let you run. 8 and 9 in the box will stop a running game. But that means that we have single coverage's that we can exploit. The slot man should take over a game. Also Wilson should kill them with 8 men in the box.Screen passes --use it.

Unfortunately Bama didn't stack the box against us. I knew the game was over in the 1st qtr when we were struggling to pick up a yard with only six guys in the box.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately Bama didn't stack the box against us. I knew the game was over in the 1st qtr when we were struggling to pick up a yard with only six guys in the box.

knew the game was over? We were down 6 points in the 4th Q and had Bama 3rd and 9 on their 30 yard line. Game was nowhere near over in the 1st

tcdog70
03-19-2015, 09:37 AM

If we don't let Bama's QB scramble for a first down , it was a good chance we win the Game. The interceptions in the red zone and Tubby dropping some passes were the reason we lost , not the fact that Bama stopped our running game.

rtdawg
03-19-2015, 10:03 AM

HUH? The QB scramble on 3 & 9 was a killer. We stop them there, I say we have a great chance to win the game. We didn't play well in the 1st half but the game was definitely not over in the 1st qtr....

NeshobaChuck
03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Offensive Line. Can they hell fast enough and form that bond you need to have there? Cause to me that's my only worries is OL

thf24
03-19-2015, 11:56 AM
If we don't let Bama's QB scramble for a first down , it was a good chance we win the Game. The interceptions in the red zone and Tubby dropping some passes were the reason we lost , not the fact that Bama stopped our running game.

HUH? The QB scramble on 3 & 9 was a killer. We stop them there, I say we have a great chance to win the game. We didn't play well in the 1st half but the game was definitely not over in the 1st qtr....

I know it's sour grapes and failing to get it done at the end of the day, but it still frustrates me how Preston was in position but got the ever-living shit held out of him on one of those two scrambles for first downs.