PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray returning???

Acid mouth
03-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Despite what the vast majority of MSU basketball fans want, it has become apparent that the RR project will return. My question is, has Scott addressed the fans/alumni about Rays return? Does anyone else feel like he should? He can't seriously think that we are happy about 13 wins in year 3 and that this elephant in the room will just go away if not addressed. I'm just curious if he has the same expectations of our program as he did 3 years ago. If so, anything short of NCAA in year 4 gets Ray shown the door. If not, why the double standard? I didn't send him an email but I read where some of u did. Any news?

Rayburn8
03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
We've known for a while he was returning. The problem Ray has is that SS is asking Ray to do something that is impossible in modern college basketball. He is asking Ray to win without cheating. You can't ask someone to do that and then fire them after year three. That is why he still has a job.

gtowndawg
03-17-2015, 10:44 AM
and he never responded to any of us. He obviously doesn't care. Not sure what to tell you.

And yes, we are all longtime Bulldog Club members. Not saying he should drop everything but after a week it's obvious he's not going to respond to what was a very respectful email asking for a better product on the court.

MadDawg
03-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Despite what the vast majority of MSU basketball fans want, it has become apparent that the RR project will return. My question is, has Scott addressed the fans/alumni about Rays return? Does anyone else feel like he should? He can't seriously think that we are happy about 13 wins in year 3 and that this elephant in the room will just go away if not addressed. I'm just curious if he has the same expectations of our program as he did 3 years ago. If so, anything short of NCAA in year 4 gets Ray shown the door. If not, why the double standard? I didn't send him an email but I read where some of u did. Any news?

1. SS will not address the fans or alumni about Rick Ray. Why should he? He's in year ONE according to Ray/SS.

2. SS in no way shape or form has anything close to the same expectations as he did 3 years ago. And neither do most of the fans now.

BulldogDX55
03-17-2015, 11:34 AM
and he never responded to any of us. He obviously doesn't care. Not sure what to tell you.

And yes, we are all longtime Bulldog Club members. Not saying he should drop everything but after a week it's obvious he's not going to respond to what was a very respectful email asking for a better product on the court.

He has one year left and if he doesn't have a vastly improved squad next year, he is out. This is all well known. You and your fellow longtime bulldog club member should, if you want to help, support the program so that if we do let Ray go, it will be a more attractive destination for whoever comes next. The worst thing you can do is to withdraw support, unless you want to end up with another Ray level hire next year.

Raytoraid83
03-17-2015, 11:40 AM
He has one year left and if he doesn't have a vastly improved squad next year, he is out. This is all well known. You and your fellow longtime bulldog club member should, if you want to help, support the program so that if we do let Ray go, it will be a more attractive destination for whoever comes next. The worst thing you can do is to withdraw support, unless you want to end up with another Ray level hire next year.

Ridiculous argument. If he's gonna get fired next year, why wait and set the program back another year?? Change needs to happen now but Stricklin won't pull the trigger. Like it's been mentioned, he doesn't care about the program at all right now as long as no one is wearing a wife beater --although wife beaters would look better than some of Rick Rays suits--. Pretty depressing.

BulldogDX55
03-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Ridiculous argument. If he's gonna get fired next year, why wait and set the program back another year?? Change needs to happen now but Stricklin won't pull the trigger. Like it's been mentioned, he doesn't care about the program at all right now as long as no one is wearing a wife beater --although wife beaters would look better than some of Rick Rays suits--. Pretty depressing.

Support the program so that if/when Ray is fired we have a better chance at a better replacement is a ridiculous argument? Get help.

MadDawg
03-17-2015, 12:15 PM
He has one year left and if he doesn't have a vastly improved squad next year, he is out.

Curious as to what you and other believe is the threshold of "vastly improved".

NIT? Bubble? NCAA's?

chef dixon
03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Its not out of this world for freshman to make big impacts and that's what Ray's career is banking on right now. He needs Tookie to be better than Ready from day 1 and needs Weatherspoon to be better than Fred from day 1 for us to have any legitimate season. If Tookie can come in and actually facilitate some offense and Weatherspoon adds a legit 3pt threat we could take a nice step. Need vast improvement from Black and Ndoye. I've given up on Ware being worth anything more than a big man that travels or gets his shit swatted half the game. Houston needs to mature quickly and average about 10 and Sword needs to average about 15 and stay healthy all season. A lot of things need to go correctly but hell, maybe we are due.

BulldogDX55
03-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Curious as to what you and other believe is the threshold of "vastly improved".

NIT? Bubble? NCAA's?

Personally, I'd be okay with a top two seed in the NIT, so I guess the bubble would be the spot I'd shoot for this year. Less than that, fired, more than that is an unrealistic goal at this point. This would put us as a top half of the SEC team, and that is pretty good for now.

Acid mouth
03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think not allowing to recruit in the AAU circuit is what really made the program toxic (but we were in bad shape). That would've make it extremely difficult to entice an elite coach but $1,000,000 per year isn't chump change. I'm surprised about yall not getting a response to your emails. I've only email the AD once (the ninja about 8 years ago when I had just join the BC) and I received a phone in 15 minutes. I felt like royalty. I definitely think that he needs to explain what Rays expectations are so that "we" as a fan base have a full understanding of where the future of MSU basketball is going. What we have become is completely unacceptable.

Dawgface
03-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I emailed SS about a month ago. I didn't bitch too bad but let him know I wasnt happy. He did reply simply saying 'thanks for writing'. Of course there wasn't much he could say to someone he didn't know.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think not allowing to recruit in the AAU circuit is what really made the program toxic (but we were in bad shape). That would've make it extremely difficult to entice an elite coach but $1,000,000 per year isn't chump change. I'm surprised about yall not getting a response to your emails. I've only email the AD once (the ninja about 8 years ago when I had just join the BC) and I received a phone in 15 minutes. I felt like royalty. I definitely think that he needs to explain what Rays expectations are so that "we" as a fan base have a full understanding of where the future of MSU basketball is going. What we have become is completely unacceptable.

Where did the not allowed to recruit AAU rumor come from? All the guys he's ever committed played AAU ball & that's where we 1st saw them. Now if you want to say we're not dealing with the runners & agents in AAU that's different but some people really think we don't recruit AAU ball players anymore.

smootness
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
The 'not allowed to recruit AAU kids' is one of the weirdest and most easily disproved rumors I've ever seen, yet here it is again.

The AD is never going to come out and draw a line in the sand on what expectations are for a coach, and they're never going to come out and address why a coach is still around and what they have to do to keep their job. That would be an awful decision and would basically kill recruiting.

Bothrops
03-17-2015, 01:27 PM
How many fricking threads must we have about RICK RAY??????????? ****!!!!!!!!--

maroonmania
03-17-2015, 01:31 PM
The 'not allowed to recruit AAU kids' is one of the weirdest and most easily disproved rumors I've ever seen, yet here it is again.

The AD is never going to come out and draw a line in the sand on what expectations are for a coach, and they're never going to come out and address why a coach is still around and what they have to do to keep their job. That would be an awful decision and would basically kill recruiting.

I think rightly or wrongly people are taking the terms "cleaning up the program" and "recruiting without cheating" that have been thrown around here as "not recruiting in the AAU circuit". There is definitely some truth in that for a lot of the AAU dealings I would think.

Acid mouth
03-17-2015, 01:37 PM

Well I stand corrected with the AAU comment. Hiring Ray was an awful decision and it basically killed the Hump. Pick your poison.
Ifuonlyknew, u seem to have as much or more inside knowledge of our athletic department and I really appreciate your comments. Do u think an NIT invitation next year is good enough to retain Ray? CBI? I'm just amazed at the lack of concern about the men's basketball program.

preachermatt83
03-17-2015, 01:37 PM

he responded to my email but it was generic, "Thank you for your input and support of msu athletics" crap.

BiscuitEater
03-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Its not out of this world for freshman to make big impacts and that's what Ray's career is banking on right now. He needs Tookie to be better than Ready from day 1 and needs Weatherspoon to be better than Fred from day 1 for us to have any legitimate season. If Tookie can come in and actually facilitate some offense and Weatherspoon adds a legit 3pt threat we could take a nice step. Need vast improvement from Black and Ndoye. I've given up on Ware being worth anything more than a big man that travels or gets his shit swatted half the game. Houston needs to mature quickly and average about 10 and Sword needs to average about 15 and stay healthy all season. A lot of things need to go correctly but hell, maybe we are due.

But you do remember the SAME arguments some made on here last year .. Maurice Dunlap was going to solve the 3 point drought. Johnny Zuppardo was coming in to contribute from the start of the season. Even Elijah Staley was 'hailed' as part of the solution. Chance at the 'bubble'; NIT needed for ONE MORE YEAR.

NOBODY knew that the injuries were coming .. BUT, Ray's teams have been snake bit. ANYBODY THAT IS COUNTING ON INCOMING FRESHMEN TO SAVE THIS TEAM IS JUST PLAIN 'WISHING.'

Also, transfer season is here and NOBODY knows 'if' Ray can even keep what he has together. FTF didn't look too happy playing only a couple of minutes against Missou .. and he looked downright pissed not playing at all against Auburn in the SECT.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Well I stand corrected with the AAU comment. Hiring Ray was an awful decision and it basically killed the Hump. Pick your poison.
Ifuonlyknew, u seem to have as much or more inside knowledge of our athletic department and I really appreciate your comments. Do u think an NIT invitation next year is good enough to retain Ray? CBI? I'm just amazed at the lack of concern about the men's basketball program.

Right now today I don't think you can put a baseline it has to be "_____________" or he's gone. I do think he's going to have to significantly improve in the W/L department to keep his job. I can't put a # on it though. 1 thing I am glad about is that we will no longer have to wonder if we will keep Ray if he has a losing season or just break even.

chef dixon
03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
But you do remember the SAME arguments some made on here last year .. Maurice Dunlap was going to solve the 3 point drought. Johnny Zuppardo was coming in to contribute from the start of the season. Even Elijah Staley was 'hailed' as part of the solution. Chance at the 'bubble'; NIT needed for ONE MORE YEAR.

NOBODY knew that the injuries were coming .. BUT, Ray's teams have been snake bit. ANYBODY THAT IS COUNTING ON INCOMING FRESHMEN TO SAVE THIS TEAM IS JUST PLAIN 'WISHING.'

Also, transfer season is here and NOBODY knows 'if' Ray can even keep what he has together. FTF didn't look too happy playing only a couple of minutes against Missou .. and he looked downright pissed not playing at all against Auburn in the SECT.

I never said I was expecting any of what I typed.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2015, 01:50 PM
and he looked downright pissed not playing at all against Auburn in the SECT.

Missing practice will do that to you.

chef dixon
03-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Also seriously if FTF wants to transfer, it will make zero difference in our season next year.

BiscuitEater
03-17-2015, 02:08 PM
I never said I was expecting any of what I typed.

Must have misread when you said ..

Its not out of this world for freshman to make big impacts and that's what Ray's career is banking on right now.

So, is Ray 'banking' on freshmen to 'make big impacts' or not?

.. and stay healthy all season. A lot of things need to go correctly but hell, maybe we are due.

So, you don't 'expect' us to stay healthy or for a lot of things to 'go correctly' either?

I don't think it will happen either.

Dawg61
03-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Also seriously if FTF wants to transfer, it will make zero difference in our season next year.

I'm the biggest FTF hater on here but it'll make a difference if his spot isn't replaced with a great shooter. Fred does bring defense, length and athleticism. Fred is top 10 all-time in blocked shots at MSU. He does have value.

Raytoraid83
03-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Lots of rumblings from inside the program that FTF and Travis Daniels are strongly considering transferring...

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Lots of rumblings from inside the program that FTF and Travis Daniels are strongly considering transferring...

I won't be upset. Give Houston all the minutes he can handle.

Dawg61
03-17-2015, 02:45 PM

Ray needs to get on the jucos then before NSD adding two more to this class that can SHOOT could be the difference in Ray keeping his job or getting fired.

Goat from MSU
03-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Daniels can't due to JUCO - SEC tranfer rules we are his last stop. Unless it is NAIA or Div. 2.

smootness

Two things:
1) This would just be weird from their standpoint. Transfer after your junior year? When you're already losing out on playing time on a 13-19 team? Where are they going to go, NC Greensboro?
2) If it did happen, fine. Go find some guys. I think both can be important contributors next year, but neither are irreplaceable.

Dawg61
I won't be upset. Give Houston all the minutes he can handle.

Yea freeing up the two spots this year instead of after next year actually helps us. That is if Ray can actually replace them with upgrades.

Goat from MSU
03-17-2015, 02:48 PM
THe way our AD has been acting Ray still might get his 5th year ,I would not put it pass anyone.
Ray needs to get on the jucos then before NSD adding two more to this class that can SHOOT could be the difference in Ray keeping his job or getting fired.

bluelightstar
03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Yea freeing up the two spots this year instead of after next year actually helps us. That is if Ray can actually replace them with upgrades.

I see no reason to think that he can.

shannondawg
03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd just like to see an announcement of some kind. But, I guess saying he was going to evaluate the program would be hilarious.

Coach34
03-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Lolz- where are they gonna go- Delta St? They are Sr's and not close to graduating

Coach34
03-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I'd just like to see an announcement of some kind. But, I guess saying he was going to evaluate the program would be hilarious.

Ray is returning outside of something extreme happening in the next week

bluelightstar
03-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Ray is returning outside of something extreme happening in the next week

Yeah, from what I've heard (which by the time I hear it is fourth or fifth-hand, of course), the only thing that could get him fired this year is cursing out Keenum or Mississippi making a Final Four.

RougeDawg
03-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Yeah, from what I've heard (which by the time I hear it is fourth or fifth-hand, of course), the only thing that could get him fired this year is cursing out Keenum or Mississippi making a Final Four.

Love to be a fly on the wall for that one and listen to a cussing tirade with "like" between every foul word.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-18-2015, 10:08 PM
One way or the other, Stricklin needs to announce if he is coming back or not. The "don't talk about it and maybe it'll die down" approach is going to kill Ray on the recruiting trail this Spring. He either needs to announce he gets another year or fire him. Obviously I want him gone but if he's coming back at least give him a chance on signing Malik.

msstate7
03-18-2015, 10:14 PM
One way or the other, Stricklin needs to announce if he is coming back or not. The "don't talk about it and maybe it'll die down" approach is going to kill Ray on the recruiting trail this Spring. He either needs to announce he gets another year or fire him. Obviously I want him gone but if he's coming back at least give him a chance on signing Malik.

Ray still has a year on his contract. There's nothing to announce as far as SS is concerned.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 05:50 AM

There has been no speculation by anyone that he wouldn't return next year- nothing really to announce. Hell, on TV all you have heard people talk about how improved the team was and that the peogram was headed in the right direction. There hasn't been anything about his job being in jeapordy.

Quaoarsking
03-19-2015, 06:51 AM

Is anyone under the impression he might be fired? I thought we all already knew he's coming back.

shannondawg
03-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Except maybe keeping the fan base informed.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Except maybe keeping the fan base informed.

Informed about what? aGAIN- there has been no speculation at all that he would be fired.

TimberBeast
03-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Informed about what? aGAIN- there has been no speculation at all that he would be fired.

It wouldn't hurt to let the fans know. I tried to get season tickets several years ago and couldn't, because they were sold out (that will likely never happen again). I would like to get season tickets again to take my kids to games, however, if Ray is here next year I will pass and wait another year. So announcing if we are going to continue killing our basketball program for yet another season could be helpful to fans.

bluelightstar
03-19-2015, 10:21 AM

the fact that TV and media felt the need (unprovoked?) to come out and say Ray should not be fired means they all see the elephant in the room that we are terrible.

coastdoglover
03-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Bear Bryant once told the media that Charlie Shira was a great coach too and we had fools who wanted to keep him after winning 16 games in 4 years.

quickstrike2
03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
We were told Croom was awesome as well by the media and other coaches. We should put a lot of stock in what the media say because they are definitely looking out for us and like us being relevant.**

MadDawg
03-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Bear Bryant once told the media that Charlie Shira was a great coach too and we had fools who wanted to keep him after winning 16 games in 4 years.

actually 16 games in 6 years

shannondawg
03-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Maybe you don't read your own board.

Coach34
03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Maybe you don't read your own board.

you mean when I posted that Ray would have to pistol whip a student and then rob Barnes and Noble that we might consider firing him???? That came out of the Athletic Office so I'm really confused as to what you mean? Some fans hopeful that we might fire him doesn't correlate to speculation on his future

shannondawg
03-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Three are more than a few fans Coach, If Stricklin wants to see the slide in season ticket sales continue, he can say nothing. The best way to meet a problem is to meet it head on, not keep quiet about a very obvious rift in the fan base.

I am of the opinion Ray will be back, and have stated my feelings on this board as well to Scott that I won't be renewing season tickets Why pay good money to save my seats for when the day comes that the product on the floor warrants me wanting them back. They will be there for the asking. The reseating of the Hump will go down as something the old timers will be talking about in years to come. Young fans probably think its an old wives tale.

Acid mouth
03-19-2015, 02:25 PM
It wouldn't hurt to let the fans know. I tried to get season tickets several years ago and couldn't, because they were sold out (that will likely never happen again). I would like to get season tickets again to take my kids to games, however, if Ray is here next year I will pass and wait another year. So announcing if we are going to continue killing our basketball program for yet another season could be helpful to fans.

I was naive to think that we were a top tier SEC basketball team so maybe I'm partially to blame. I just feel that what has been done to the program is nothing short of a catastrophe. Self-induced death penalty is how one of u described it and it's spot on. I would compare this to a CEO missing fiscal year earning for the 3rd straight year and not even having a conference call. We can't just assume that RR is returning (even tho we all do). Hell, we won fewer games this year that last. Where is the accountability. Nothing hurts worse than being stuck in the land of obscurity.