PDA

View Full Version : Women's Team...

It_Could_Happen
03-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Apperantly Faulk just said on 24 7 that the NCAA has contacting the athletic department about us hosting. I'm not a member over there. Has anyone seen it?

smootness
03-16-2015, 01:04 PM
That would be great. Bracketology has us as a 5, and we were a 4 before losing to UK in the SECT, so it's certainly possible we get the 4.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
If we host....my body is ready...and I'll be so excited.

TXDawg
03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
After the season they've had, the women deserve to host.

Screw RPI...if you're Top 15 in the nation and finished 3rd in the SEC and don't host...there's something wrong with that.

smootness
03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
RPI is lower, but our Sagarin ranking is 16. And that seems to be the better measure since UConn holds a big lead in the Sagarin rating over the #2 team yet is 5th in the RPI.

BulldogBear
03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
When will they announce the Ladies' bracket?

TheRef
03-16-2015, 01:57 PM
When will they announce the Ladies' bracket?

ESPNU at 6:00 PM CDT

BulldogBear
03-16-2015, 02:01 PM
ESPNU at 6:00 PM CDT
I'm actually looking forward more to watching our Girlies than the men's tourney for once. This is also the first year in a few that I've haven't taken off the Thursday and Friday for Men's round one to eat wings and chili and watch all day. My enthusiasm died this year with State hoops. I'm sure I'll find a few underdogs to root for and revitalize my interest. College Football is my favortie sport but my favorite sporting EVENT has always been the Men's NCAA basketball tourney.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 02:05 PM
If you haven't had a chance to watch this women's team play in person and we end up hosting. Do yourself a favor and go to this game. The atmosphere is tremendous as most in attendance have been supporters for years. After every win, the Bulldogs will usually stick around and take photos, visit, and converse with fans near their tunnel. I'm not sure if they will be able to do this in a NCAA Tournament setting, but they are some of the most humble group of athletes I've seen in a while. Vic has these Ladies doing the right thing, and you can tell.

confucius say
03-16-2015, 02:06 PM
After the season they've had, the women deserve to host.

Screw RPI...if you're Top 15 in the nation and finished 3rd in the SEC and don't host...there's something wrong with that.

I think we host but not as a top four seed

TheRef
03-16-2015, 02:07 PM
I think we host but not as a top four seed

You have to be a top-four regional seed to host.......

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
If we host I wonder if the pricing structure for tickets will change or if it'll be close to what it is for a regular season game.

confucius say
03-16-2015, 02:15 PM
You have to be a top-four regional seed to host.......

This is incorrect. Normally, yes. Not this year. Louisville will be a top 4 seed but will be on the road. That opens up one spot. Oh st will be in same boat if they are a top 4 seed, and they are projected as a 4 or 5. Neither of these two may host bc their venues are being used in the men's tourney.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 02:15 PM
If we host I wonder if the pricing structure for tickets will change or if it'll be close to what it is for a regular season game.

Should see a slight increase...probably $15-25 per ticket (as opposed to $5 general admission)

TheRef
03-16-2015, 02:17 PM
This is incorrect. Normally, yes. Not this year. Louisville will be a top 4 seed but will be on the road. That opens up one spot. Oh st will be in same boat if they are a top 4 seed, and they are projected as a 4 or 5. Neither of these two may host bc their venues are being used in the men's tourney.

Ah okay...I forgot about those two venues being host sites for the first round of the NCAA Men's tournament. Irregardless, I don't see us being in one of those slots.

mparkerfd20
03-16-2015, 02:23 PM
All I know is our Women's Basketball and Women's Softball teams are having success and the men counterparts to those programs are stinking it up. I'd much rather both go back to sucking if it means our Men's Basketball and Baseball team are at the top of their game.

All that said, I've very proud of both of our Ladie's teams so far this year.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
All I know is our Women's Basketball and Women's Softball teams are having success and the men counterparts to those programs are stinking it up. I'd much rather both go back to sucking if it means our Men's Basketball and Baseball team are at the top of their game.

All that said, I've very proud of both of our Ladie's teams so far this year.

Or how about all four do well.........ya know.....since we don't have a team national championship in any NCAA sanctioned sport, I feel that we should cheer for any team that has a chance right now associated with MSU.

starkvegasdawg
03-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Just please don't let us be in the same bracket as UConn.

smootness
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Just please don't let us be in the same bracket as UConn.

Both ESPN and CBS do have us in UConn's region, which I would be ok with. It would be cool to make the Sweet 16 and see us play UConn. Would also be good experience for all our freshmen and soph's going into next year.

With regard to Louisville, I don't see us getting a 6 or 7, so I don't see that coming into play. I guess there's a chance Ohio State gets a 4 and we get the 5 and host, but I think we're actually closer to a 4 than they are.

That is going to really stink for Louisville, btw.

maroonmania
03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
That would be great. Bracketology has us as a 5, and we were a 4 before losing to UK in the SECT, so it's certainly possible we get the 4.

And the sad part is that we were cruising in that UK game until Vivians got her thumbnail ripped off. Everything changed after that and I'm sure for her to handle or shoot a basketball with that kind of pain in her hand was a terrible situation. Would hate to see an injury like that cost us a rare chance to host the NCAAs.

smootness
03-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Can we also talk about how good this team is going to be two years from now?

Vivians, Richardson, Dillingham, William, Salter, Chapel, Okorie, Salter, Schaefer, and Nevitt will all still be around, and we have a couple of girls coming in next year that are just outside the top 100, rated similarly to William and Salter coming out.

That team is going to be loaded and very experienced. Vivians may lead the country in scoring that year.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Vivians, Richardson, Dillingham, William, Salter, Chapel, Okorie, Salter, Schaefer, and Nevitt will all still be around, and we have a couple of girls coming in next year that are just outside the top 100, rated similarly to William and Salter coming out.

That team is going to be loaded and very experienced. Vivians may lead the country in scoring that year.

Vivians already led the SEC in scoring THIS year with 15.0 PPG.

smootness
03-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Vivians already led the SEC in scoring THIS year with 15.0 PPG.

I know, and she may challenge for the NCAA scoring title next year. But I think that definitely by her junior year, she's going to be absolutely lighting it up to the tune of 20+.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 03:55 PM
I know, and she may challenge for the NCAA scoring title next year. But I think that definitely by her junior year, she's going to be absolutely lighting it up to the tune of 20+.

I agree...Morgan William will improve over the offseason and become a dominant PG.

maroonmania
03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
I agree...Morgan William will improve over the offseason and become a dominant PG.

Who takes over the Center position next year for Alwal?

TheRef
03-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Who takes over the Center position next year for Alwal?

Chinwe Okorie

MabenMaroon
03-16-2015, 06:38 PM

Don't forget Jasmine Spears, top 10 rated JUCO player coming in as well.

Quaoarsking
03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Shit. Got a 5 seed, will play Friday in Durham.

Homedawg
03-16-2015, 06:47 PM

Instant impact.

MabenMaroon
03-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Disappointed in not hosting but it is a doable draw. Come on gals ride the wave and take out the Dukies, then on to Spokane!

Praise the Lord and Go Dawgs!

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
so pissed from a personal standpoint. was very much looking forward to attending these games. have been great all year.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Personally, I think we got the best draw of the tournament.

TXDawg
03-16-2015, 07:53 PM
I like having Maryland as the 1-seed in our region. It's almost as though the committee considered us to be the best 5th seed. Unfortunately, it also means that we have Tennessee as the 2-seed which is not good at all.

All in all, I think we have a good shot of making the Sweet 16 and if things go right, maybe even the Elite 8.

sleepy dawg
03-16-2015, 08:05 PM
RPI is lower, but our Sagarin ranking is 16. And that seems to be the better measure since UConn holds a big lead in the Sagarin rating over the #2 team yet is 5th in the RPI.

Sagarin's overall rating focuses very much on score, and very little on actually winning. His "elo_score" rating actually uses wins/loses and score. That ranking has us at 24.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
I broke down why I think we got the best draw: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/03/16/analysis-lady-bulldogs-get-best-draw-of-2015-ncaa-field/

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
03-16-2015, 08:25 PM
i see your point Ref, looking at the bracket we may have the best path of the 4/5 seeds. this draw may be the best we could have gotten as a team. going on the road may even help us focus. but i'm still (selfishly) upset that i don't get to experience march madness at the Hump. especially w/ a team this much fun to watch.

TheRef
03-16-2015, 08:31 PM
i see your point Ref, looking at the bracket we may have the best path of the 4/5 seeds. this draw may be the best we could have gotten as a team. going on the road may even help us focus. but i'm still (selfishly) upset that i don't get to experience march madness at the Hump. especially w/ a team this much fun to watch.

Oh I am mad about that too, but I'm okay with the draw. Let's spank some ass in Cameron Indoor....

State82
03-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Does the dreaded 12/5 curse apply to women's hoops? Surely not.

Quaoarsking
03-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Does the dreaded 12/5 curse apply to women's hoops? Surely not.

No, there are very few upsets in the women's tournament. You will probably finish at or near the top of a women's pool with an all-chalk bracket.

shoeless joe
03-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Weren't we a 5 seed in 96?

smootness
03-17-2015, 03:09 AM

Did not know that. That's awesome. What position?

mcain31
03-17-2015, 03:53 AM
Did not know that. That's awesome. What position?

She's a forward originally from New Albany.
Here's a story about this year's signing class:
http://insidemsusports.com/2014/11/12/schaefer-signs-three/