PDA

View Full Version : Stat of the night. Rebs strike out 22 times last night and win 5-3 in extras @ LSU.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:01 AM
We leave 29 runners on base in a double header and split. We were walked like 20 times and split.

Quaoarsking
03-15-2015, 11:33 AM
That's baseball.

maroonmania
03-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Wow, so has OM won the first 2 games in their series in Baton Rouge? If so that is pretty impressive.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:42 AM
A split going into Sunday in Baton Rouge is better than a split going into Sunday at home vs Alabama. Let's be real here.

Homedawg
03-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Lsu won on Friday.

Smitty
03-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Ole Miss bullpen

7 IP, 0.00 ERA

chef dixon
03-15-2015, 11:52 AM
LSU put in a bum senior in the top of the 14th or whatever it was. He had the highest ERA on the team and was put in for a L on L matchup. Walked the first guy in 4 pitches then Orvis blasts a double on the next pitch. Ole Miss is going to be scrappy but they hit worse than us at this point in the season. Neither of us is looking like a host at this point.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:55 AM
They hit the ball harder than we do throughout the lineup. When we hit the ball, it's like we are hitting it with a wet newspaper. Stats be damned, but I like their offensive approach much better than ours. They don't try to "flick the ball through the infield", as is told to our players from our coaches. No shit.

Saltydog
03-15-2015, 12:02 PM
If they should pull out a win today they would 3-2 against those clubs and even if they lose they finished a very respectable 2-3. Not sure we would've done that..

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:05 PM
When MSStateBaseball said that we would hit 50 bombs as a team, I stopped listening to him. He does a good job on his blog and twitter account, but he's a gene's page type guy. Super sunshine. Probably thought we were an arm or two away from Omaha during Cohen's first two years at MSU. There's time for sunshine pumping and there's time to pump the brakes. He needs a boot put on his front tires.
If they should pull out a win today they would 3-2 against those clubs and even if they lose they finished a very respectable 2-3. Not sure we would've done that..

Saltydog
03-15-2015, 12:13 PM
nt

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:14 PM
We hit one off of the wall yesterday. I'm calling that a half homer. Humphries hit one a week or so ago. I'm sure he was benched for a lefty/righty situation shortly after.

Smitty
03-15-2015, 12:22 PM
I do wish we'd stop pinch running for Hump in the 7th.. He's a damn OF not a lineman. His spot has come up afterwards as well

Saltydog
03-15-2015, 12:28 PM
in the last two weeks.

RougeDawg
03-15-2015, 12:29 PM
They hit the ball harder than we do throughout the lineup. When we hit the ball, it's like we are hitting it with a wet newspaper. Stats be damned, but I like their offensive approach much better than ours. They don't try to "flick the ball through the infield", as is told to our players from our coaches. No shit.

You don't say?? Someone please tell this to Engie because he will defend our halfass slap swings, pussified approach, and shitty mechanics until the end of time, because Cohen is the God of hitting and all things baseball.

I've been saying our swings are shit and it's why we only hit little weak ground balls a majority of the time. Now to hear that hitting guru Johnny is actually coaching our players to swing this way just further confirms that he's no hitting genius. Hilarious. Can't defend Cohen now if they are actually making our hitters have shit, zero power, slap swings trying to flick the ball.

It's been obvious to some from day one that our players were not receiving proper hitting instruction. Now to hear that the actual instruction they have been receiving is making their swings less productive explains everything. I've seen numerous posts from some of you who keep up with high school baseball, wondering why these guys aren't producing once they are on campus. I believe this fully explains it for you. We are teaching them to be punchin judy's.

Que the bu, bu, bu, we lead in OBP and walks, and we can't have an extra coach, and we can't let any coaches go.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:30 PM
We are 43 away from our goal of 50. Still time to get there.**

Offshore Dawg
03-15-2015, 12:40 PM
We are 43 away from our goal of 50. Still time to get there.**

Wasn't one of those an inside the park home run.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe so. Can't remember, but it still counts. Ha!
Wasn't one of those an inside the park home run.

TopDog58
03-15-2015, 12:48 PM

They have a.250 team avg. And as the subject of the post says,they struck out 22 times in a game. But you like their approach better. Smdh

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Yeah because they drive the baseball when they hit it. They hit the ball into the gaps and to the wall. LSU has elite pitching. They had a freshman turn down 3 million to be their Saturday night guy. LSU's staff will strike out a lot of guys this year. The game went 14 innings. There was 12 strikeouts for Ole Miss through 9. To compare Ole Miss' hitters to ours as far as pop is laughable. Some people just cannot admit that they are better than us in something. They have also played a better non-conference schedule than we have up to this point.
They have a.250 team avg. And as the subject of the post says,they struck out 22 times in a game. But you like their approach better. Smdh

shoeless joe
03-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah because they drive the baseball when they hit it. They hit the ball into the gaps and to the wall. LSU has elite pitching. They had a freshman turn down 3 million to be their Saturday night guy. LSU's staff will strike out a lot of guys this year. The game went 14 innings. There was 12 strikeouts for Ole Miss through 9. To compare Ole Miss' hitters to ours as far as pop is laughable. Some people just cannot admit that they are better than us in something. They have also played a better non-conference schedule than we have up to this point.

Not being happy with our approach is one thing...but to prefer the strikeout and lower batting avg over on base and putting the ball in play is a bit odd.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Last night was a anomaly for Ole Miss. You usually don't strike out 22 times in a game and the game usually doesn't go 14 innings. They hit for more pop than we do. The did last year too. They recruit a larger athlete than we do, both on the hill and positionally. I'm not saying that I want to strike out 22 times in a game to have more power. I just want us to start hitting the damn ball aggressively into the gap. We went through a stretch recently where we had one extra base hit in 6 games. Why that isn't an issue for some of y'all is unbelievable. Their batting average is lower because they are going through a little bit of a transition year because they had the most players drafted out of any D1 school and they played a better non-conference schedule than we have so far.

Saltydog
03-15-2015, 01:25 PM
texas league blooper that the player dove for, missed and then didn't get up to run after it.........

Really Clark?
03-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Last night was a anomaly for Ole Miss. You usually don't strike out 22 times in a game and the game usually doesn't go 14 innings. They hit for more pop than we do. The did last year too. They recruit a larger athlete than we do, both on the hill and positionally. I'm not saying that I want to strike out 22 times in a game to have more power. I just want us to start hitting the damn ball aggressively into the gap. We went through a stretch recently where we had one extra base hit in 6 games. Why that isn't an issue for some of y'all is unbelievable. Their batting average is lower because they are going through a little bit of a transition year because they had the most players drafted out of any D1 school and they played a better non-conference schedule than we have so far.

Look there are things I don't like with our hitting as well. But their approach is worse in my opinion. All that extra pop you are thinking they have has given them 3 more extra base hits than us with only 2 more HR. Their strikeout totals is not good (same for us and if that gets solved our offense will increase as we are second in the league as it is right now in runs) and their runs scored are terrible. I will gladly trade more hits and runs vs more pop of 3 more extra base hits and 50 less hits overall. Our approach has issues but they are what, averaging 1.7 runs per game less than us. Their approach looks like the Braves. Low average, lots of K's and right now 9th in HR in the league. Lot of long outs it seems to me. Last year they had good numbers but that was more the anamoly with a CWS caliber team.

shoeless joe
03-15-2015, 02:25 PM

I agree that we should be more aggressive. Especially on fastballs early in counts in RBI situations, but I don't wanna trade our guys on base for just a few more extra base hits.

And I would like to see more of a gap to gap power approach by some of our guys.