PDA

View Full Version : Greg Carter

DawgPoundRock
03-14-2015, 10:59 PM
He would be my first call if/when the day we have to replace our bball coach. He's been highly successful at Starkville high and tonight they won the 6A championship

engie
03-14-2015, 11:01 PM
You've got to be kidding me...

State82
03-14-2015, 11:05 PM
You forgot your ****

ShotgunDawg
03-14-2015, 11:05 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3227175/you-serious-clark-o.gif

dickiedawg
03-14-2015, 11:08 PM
Good one.**

ShotgunDawg
03-14-2015, 11:12 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/e41a5b8d13f0ffbf1acd01640252a9ac/tumblr_nkdbgpP7ca1riwu3co1_500.gif

War Machine Dawg
03-14-2015, 11:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MKqTF99.gif

whosyourdawgy
03-15-2015, 10:11 AM
I would love for him to be on the staff. But he has to learn the college basketball game and recruiting first. He he done well at the high school game but he isn't ready for all that is coaching at college basketball yet

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Yes. Let's hire a 6A basketball coach to have him come into a program that's currently on life support because we have zero fan support and a head coach that was a no-name when we hired him. After we gave our current head coach a "gentlemen handshake agreement for 4 to 5 years" we will let him learn on the job and fire him, just to turn around and hire a new guy with zero college coaching experience. That will get season tickets and excitement up. While we are at it, we need to fire Cohen and hire Satartia's junior high coach. They looked really good in their first and third defense versus Benton Academy.

cheewgumm
03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
" hiring a high school coach is a big mistake ". - Gus Malzhon

I probably wouldn't hire him either but it's not like we're gonna bite anyone that is going to pack the hump immediately.

Also obviously hiring a coach is more art than science so who knows who will be good, of the people we could get.

msstate7
03-15-2015, 10:32 AM
" hiring a high school coach is a big mistake ". - Gus Malzhon

I probably wouldn't hire him either but it's not like we're gonna bite anyone that is going to pack the hump immediately.

Also obviously hiring a coach is more art than science so who knows who will be good, of the people we could get.

Gus was hired as an OC wasn't he?

engie
03-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Except Gus rode Mustain to an assistant job -- then led the nation two or three times in a row in total offense at Tulsa -- before winning a title at Auburn. Gus was a college coach for 7 or 8 years and won a Broyles award before getting his shot at Arkansas St...

Same thing as hiring a hs coach to be a hc in the sec**

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Yep. Malzahn was probably one of the most innovative offensive minds in high school football and had the Springdale 5 or whatever that led him to Arkansas with Nutt. It's amazing that we have fans that would be cool with us hiring a high school coach to be our head coach at MSU. We would be the laughing stock of the NCAA. C'mon people.

cheewgumm
03-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Yeah, Gus would have probably failed had he not had all that assistant coach experience*********

cheewgumm
03-15-2015, 11:16 AM
And spare me the exhaustive research that is forthcoming. I don't care and generally agree... I probably woildnt hire himeither.

However, if try to hire talen( smart people)t no matter where they came from and how much assistant coah experience they had.

Doesn't Ray have assistant coach experience?

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure what you are arguing/discussing here. Greg Carter is a high school head coach with zero (I think) college coaching experience. Rick Ray was at Clemson and I think Purdue before he came to Mississippi State. You can't compare the two. If that's not what you were talking about, my bad.
And spare me the exhaustive research that is forthcoming. I don't care and generally agree... I probably woildnt hire himeither.

However, if try to hire talen( smart people)t no matter where they came from and how much assistant coah experience they had.

Doesn't Ray have assistant coach experience?

cheewgumm
03-15-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm arguing being an assistant basketball coach at the college level is not a guarantee that you can handle and thrive as a head college coach.

What matters is are you smart?

You can be smart without having been a college assistant.

Experience is over rated iMO.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:25 AM
I agree that intelligence is important, but I disagree about experience. You need some level of experience of running a program (daily ops, practice organization, recruiting, being the spokesman for the program and speaking at luncheons and booster functions). There's more to being a head coach at a high level school that just knowing the game. Some of the best college baseball coaches are at junior colleges and division 3 because they lack certain aspects that would make them successful at a high level. Their knowledge of the game and "coaching them up" is excellent. You put them in a room with boosters and give them a microphone to speak and they fold like a cheap card table. I've had multiple college coaches tell me that.

chef dixon
03-15-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm arguing being an assistant basketball coach at the college level is not a guarantee that you can handle and thrive as a head college coach.

What matters is are you smart?

You can be smart without having been a college assistant.

Experience is over rated iMO.

I agree to extent. What good does being an assistant at Purdue and Clemson do? We don't really know the answer to that. We don't know if he was really even contributing shit to those programs. We took a pretty huge shot in the dark and it is pretty clear that he didn't have adequate preparation in his assistant gigs to be able to take a HC position on. Stricklin is going to have to really dig into these candidates the next go-around.

cheewgumm
03-15-2015, 11:29 AM
I think the answer is we can find both.

But to me intelligence is #1. I hate seeing people dismissed because of lack of experience. Talent is
Much
More
Important..

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Scott Stricklin made the comment on Bo Bounds show a couple of weeks ago that there are coaches in every sport better than the ones that we currently have at Mississippi State. He said that they are young and would do the job for a lot less money than we pay Cohen and Mullen. He said the hard part is identifying them. He said that he is sure that there's an AD out there that would do a better job than him for less money, but identifying them is the issue. It's hard to say, "hey, this guys outstanding. Let's hire him at a D1 program. He has zero college experience." Our fans want to fire Ray now and he had years of college coaching experience at decent programs. In this day and age of sports in the SEC, you can't gamble on a guy with no experience. If he makes a 36 on the ACT and can draw play up with the best of them, that doesn't guarantee that he can win games.

But to me intelligence is #1. I hate seeing people dismissed because of lack of experience. Talent is
Much
More
Important..

tcdog70
03-15-2015, 11:50 AM
I think Babe came right out of High School,, also Kermit Davis.

HancockCountyDog
03-15-2015, 11:56 AM
He would be my first call if/when the day we have to replace our bball coach. He's been highly successful at Starkville high and tonight they won the 6A championship

Just because our program feels like a high school program doesn't mean it is one. Just when I think some bear fans can't troll us more than they do, they come on here with this bullshit.

Click an ad while you are here.

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 11:59 AM
This>
Just because our program feels like a high school program doesn't mean it is one. Just when I think some bear fans can't troll us more than they do, they come on here with this bullshit.

Click an ad while you are here.

codeDawg
03-15-2015, 12:01 PM

Much
More
Important..

The vast majority of successful coaches are competent XO guys, but above average recruiters. You have to have both, but recruiting is the most important. That's something you don't learn coaching high school and you need a few years learning at the college level.

DawgPoundRock
03-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Doesn't know the college game? Greg carter was an assistant coach from 1994-2001

Jacksondevildog
03-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Yep, but that was 14 years ago. Hell, if y'all want to do something crazy, just bring back Richard Williams. His last year was about 16 years ago, and he's coached high school hoops since then. That gets three of our requirements out of the way. He's smart. He was recently a high school coach. His last college experience was in 1998.
Doesn't know the college game? Greg carter was an assistant coach from 1994-2001

TopDog58
03-15-2015, 12:43 PM

No shit. Lot of brain farts here. Carter was an assistant at MSU for half a decade during the sweet 16 and final four runs. Didn't he also go to Houston for a while? That being said, this is a dumb discussion. He shouldn't even be in the conversation as a potential hire

ScottH
03-15-2015, 01:34 PM
I do think Carter should be an assistant if he was inclined to do such again.

shoeless joe
03-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Carter has it made in the shade rite where he's at. Unless some administrator comes in and completely rearranges his gig he will prolly retire at SHS.