PDA

View Full Version : Similarities

msstate7
03-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Basketball started 5-0 only to collapse.

Baseball started 13-0. We're now 15-5.

Basketball struggled offensively. Baseball struggles offensively.

Basketball had several late leads only to see them slip away. Baseball has had late leads slip away late.

JohnnyQuid
03-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Ray=cohen. I'm joking ofc. I like John Cohen. I'd like a real hitting coach tho

maroonmania
03-14-2015, 04:58 PM
It was a horrible basketball season and its very much looking like baseball season is going to be an utter disappointment as well based on expectations. Oh well, guess we can pay attention to Spring football practice. Hard to lose games there.

Drugdog
03-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Girls softball has more guts than the baseball team.

Saltydog
03-14-2015, 05:52 PM
nt

msstate7
03-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Oh and add both teams had best player have surgery right before season

tcdog70
03-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Give me a Break. Shit our baseball team isn't close to Basketball shitty. Cohen will get this team rolling. We will beat Bama today.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 07:37 AM
Bump.

6-12 since 13-0

basedog
04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
This baseball team want win a series this year, it will be a first and this ain't no April 1st joke.

I don't follow recruiting and watching this over rated bunch is the reason.

This team is gonna go down as one of the worse in my lifetime.

As for as basketball, that's all behind us now, happy days ahead.

msstate7
04-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Bump

22-21

Thank God we fixed basketball.

Billy Ray Valentine
04-25-2015, 09:24 PM
This baseball team want win a series this year, it will be a first and this ain't no April 1st joke.

This^

Quaoarsking
04-25-2015, 09:38 PM
The difference is that we likely end up a top 100 RPI team in baseball, which we've done every year under Cohen, including the abysmal first two, while we were never even a top 200 RPI team under Rick Ray.

msstate7
04-25-2015, 09:44 PM
The difference is that we likely end up a top 100 RPI team in baseball, which we've done every year under Cohen, including the abysmal first two, while we were never even a top 200 RPI team under Rick Ray.

That top 100 rpi will be the result of the conference we play in. If sec basketball teams had the rpi's that sec baseball teams have, our basketball rpi would've been higher.

Seriously q, has our rpi risen bc of wins or just losing to good teams?

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 10:10 PM
That top 100 rpi will be the result of the conference we play in. If sec basketball teams had the rpi's that sec baseball teams have, our basketball rpi would've been higher.

We all know the answer to that. SEC baseball = SEC football.

War Machine Dawg
04-25-2015, 10:12 PM

You were close. We got lucky and took 2/3 from SCar. I'm not even sure we can take 2/3 from UT at this point.

confucius say
04-25-2015, 10:16 PM

That logic works both ways. Bc if sec baseball were same as sec basketball, we would have more baseball wins. We can make comparisons, fine. But anybody who thinks our baseball program is in the shape our basketball program was in two months ago is mistaken, to put it mildly.

Todd4State
04-25-2015, 10:22 PM
And like basketball there will be some changes at the end of the year. That said, no way they will be Howland-esque types of changes in terms of excitement, but changes nonetheless.

Todd4State
04-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Ray=cohen. I'm joking ofc. I like John Cohen. I'd like a real hitting coach tho

I'd like a guy that is a better hitting coach that also recruits tough hard nosed players like the ones that we had that got us to Omaha and have been on our historically good teams.

basedog
04-26-2015, 07:44 AM
And like basketball there will be some changes at the end of the year. That said, no way they will be Howland-esque types of changes in terms of excitement, but changes nonetheless.

Todd, I don't know how much change Cohen can make to get this train back on the track for next year. I've been a big Cohen fan until now and I have started seeing dinks in his armor. He hasn't adjusted and if anything he has gotten worse. Remains me of the "Emory The Memory", he would call a play and if it didn't work he would run again like it was practice!

Cohen had it going but he seems to have lost his team but even more so now he is losing his support, slowly but that is gonna be the biggest change IMO.

If Cohen wasn't an ex alum and player, he would be in deeper trouble, our baseball program is the one program we all use to hang our hat on regardless, seeing it right now is very sad to me cause losing your fan base is harder now days to get them back.

RougeDawg
04-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Todd, I don't know how much change Cohen can make to get this train back on the track for next year. I've been a big Cohen fan until now and I have started seeing dinks in his armor. He hasn't adjusted and if anything he has gotten worse. Remains me of the "Emory The Memory", he would call a play and if it didn't work he would run again like it was practice!

Cohen had it going but he seems to have lost his team but even more so now he is losing his support, slowly but that is gonna be the biggest change IMO.

If Cohen wasn't an ex alum and player, he would be in deeper trouble, our baseball program is the one program we all use to hang our hat on regardless, seeing it right now is very sad to me cause losing your fan base is harder now days to get them back.

^^This^^. I agree with everything but will add That Cohen's flaws have been there from the beginning for those who chose to see them. Those flaws were more than masked by a trio of hitters and a lock down pen. Renfroe, Frazier, and Pirtle all were taught their hitting elsewhere. Hell even most of our better hitters during the Cohen era have been JUCO transfers. Everyone wants to get behind a new coach and I understand that, but to me Johnny's never Displayed any type of coaching that exudes "Hitting Guru" to me. He has shown that he can manage a game when he has some great hitters who were taught by someone else, but when he is responsible for making them more productive hitters and doesn't have a short porch in right field, the offense is putrid. This has been displayed from day one and I've been saying that we need a hitting coach all along. And for that, I have caught shit on here and Fanny Pack for about 5 years.

Bully13
04-26-2015, 11:03 AM
both lost a home game to a swac team.

msstate7
05-02-2015, 06:50 AM
23-24 now. Since the 13-0 start, we are 10-24.

I didn't even keep up with last night's game. I never miss any of state's big 3 games, but I did last night. Our baseball program is not in good shape.

confucius say
05-02-2015, 07:14 AM

I didn't even keep up with last night's game. I never miss any of state's big 3 games, but I did last night. Our baseball program is not in good shape.

We get it, we suck this year. Our program is fine. One down year does not make a bad program, particularly in baseball.
Ask ucla. Ask Florida. Ask Lsu. All have had a down year with their current coach. Our fans are passionate and that's great. But it also leads to shortsighted, snap judgements sometimes, bc we want to win so badly.

msstate7
05-02-2015, 07:43 AM
We get it, we suck this year. Our program is fine. One down year does not make a bad program, particularly in baseball.
Ask ucla. Ask Florida. Ask Lsu. All have had a down year with their current coach. Our fans are passionate and that's great. But it also leads to shortsighted, snap judgements sometimes, bc we want to win so badly.

If we were losing with underclassmen, I wouldn't be as worried. We're losing with upperclassmen though. I think we'll be in decent shape with starters, but I think the pen will be a problem again next season. I like hump, Collins, and maybe rooker and robson (if back), but I see a ton of question marks after that. Even Collins has a lot to prove. Collins has been horrible this year. I think assuming we're back next season takes a much larger leap of faith than thinking we'll be the same as this year

maroonmania
05-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Assuming we only win the SC series (1-9 for the SEC season), when is the last time we were that bad? Have we ever gone an entire SEC season without winning a series?

confucius say
05-02-2015, 08:00 AM
If we were losing with underclassmen, I wouldn't be as worried. We're losing with upperclassmen though. I think we'll be in decent shape with starters, but I think the pen will be a problem again next season. I like hump, Collins, and maybe rooker and robson (if back), but I see a ton of question marks after that. Even Collins has a lot to prove. Collins has been horrible this year. I think assuming we're back next season takes a much larger leap of faith than thinking we'll be the same as this year

We will be back in a regional next year. Houston will be closer and will be good. Mintz, Hudson, sexton are coming around. Need to add a big arm and a lefty matchup guy out of the pen and find another starter.

Collins will be fine next year. Hump is going to make a jump. Reynolds had become the guy we thought he would be. Holland must be replaced. Gridley will play great defense and hit .250 in the 9 hole. Have to find a first baseman who is an RBI producer. Robson and brown will help out but need a big time hitter in of. There are pieces that must be filled with this recruiting class, but we have several guys who will be good players next year.

msstate7
05-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Basketball -- 12th place finish in sec. 6-12 record (.333 winning %)

Baseball -- 14th (last) place is almost a certainty. 8-20 (.286 winning %)

Rick ray had a better season that Cohen

13-0 start and 11-28 since

CadaverDawg
05-14-2015, 09:10 PM

What a joke. Cohen better be thanking his lucky stars for Butch Thompson and his bullpen the last several years... because if not for them the last few years, this season would have him picking up a job at Northwestern St during the offseason.

I'm all for dealing with a "down year here and there", but for Pete's sake, we suck.

Really Clark?
05-14-2015, 10:23 PM

Not that baseball hasn't had a poor year but in all fairness SEC baseball is a good bit better than basketball.

msstate7
05-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Not that baseball hasn't had a poor year but in all fairness SEC baseball is a good bit better than basketball.

We lost to a swac team, lost a series to San Diego, split with wku, lost to south Alabama, lost to Memphis, and only won 1 sec series. It's not like it took top notch competition to beat us.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 06:24 AM
We lost to a swac team, lost a series to San Diego, split with wku, lost to south Alabama, lost to Memphis, and only won 1 sec series. It's not like it took top notch competition to beat us.

But you were posting about our SEC record and comparing between the two using SEC only games. In that scenario, the comparison you posted, you really have to adjust for competition level because of weak SEC basketball and how strong SEC baseball is. While the other is true, that was not a part of your comparison. Like I said it's not that we are not a poor team, just that is an unequal comparison.

msstate7
05-15-2015, 06:38 AM
But you were posting about our SEC record and comparing between the two using SEC only games. In that scenario, the comparison you posted, you really have to adjust for competition level because of weak SEC basketball and how strong SEC baseball is. While the other is true, that was not a part of your comparison. Like I said it's not that we are not a poor team, just that is an unequal comparison.

I think finishing place within your conference (primary competition) is the adjustment for competition level.

We could look at preseason projections. Basketball was projected to be last place and barely exceeded that projection. I think baseball was projected middle of the pack and severely failed short

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 07:20 AM
I think finishing place within your conference (primary competition) is the adjustment for competition level.

We could look at preseason projections. Basketball was projected to be last place and barely exceeded that projection. I think baseball was projected middle of the pack and severely failed short

All valid points and true. But had nothing to do with your original post and what I disagreed with. You are adding to it now to make sense. You don't have to, I understand what we are, but the original post I believe is a bit misleading when just looking at those numbers. Our OOC schedule and preseason ranking are irrelevant in the context of your original point of comparing the two SEC only records. How bout this, if they both won every SEC game which is more impressive of a feat given the competiton level of each sport in this conference and the difficulty it is to go undefeated in each sport.

msstate7
05-15-2015, 07:24 AM
All valid points and true. But had nothing to do with your original post and what I disagreed with. You are adding to it now to make sense. You don't have to, I understand what we are, but the original post I believe is a bit misleading when just looking at those numbers. Our OOC schedule and preseason ranking are irrelevant in the context of your original point of comparing the two SEC only records. How bout this, if they both won every SEC game which is more impressive of a feat given the competiton level of each sport in this conference and the difficulty it is to go undefeated in each sport.

Well considering no sec baseball team has gone undefeated (at least not in modern history) and an sec basketball team went undefeated this year, I'd say baseball by far haha

CadaverDawg
05-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Just think about how bad that Ray team really was that Cohen compared to. It was actually much WORSE, but played a dump schedule so their record wasn't as bad as it could have been if the SEC didn't suck in basketball.

See how that works.

Obviously I'm just making a sarcastic point...I get what you're saying, but it works both ways, ha.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Well considering no sec baseball team has gone undefeated (at least not in modern history) and an sec basketball team went undefeated this year, I'd say baseball by far haha

Haha. That's correct and was kind of my point in comparing the sports. Both had bad years, it's just hard to make it comparable because the sports are so different and the conference as a whole is stronger in baseball.

I will say that because of what baseball was thought to be, emotionally it can feel like it was worse. And in that context, the fall from thinking we may be good (baseball) compared to hoping to be average (basketball) there is a good argument that baseball preformed worse than its norm and perceived potential this year. But just going by the SEC records though is an unfair comparison.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Just think about how bad that Ray team really was that Cohen compared to. It was actually much WORSE, but played a dump schedule so their record wasn't as bad as it could have been if the SEC didn't suck in basketball.

See how that works.

Obviously I'm just making a sarcastic point...I get what you're saying, but it works both ways, ha.

Agreed it does but again his original post was concerning SEC games only.

sleepy dawg
05-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Starting 5-0 in basketball isn't exactly a collapse. You actually have to build something before it can collapse.

basedog
05-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Really interesting seeing all of the post again. Since there are so many experts on ED, some in a certain sport and others in all sports, I now consider myself an expert in calling what I saw early with this team. Cohen should play the last 2 games as try-outs for next seasons, bench upper class-men and tell the under-classmen you are now playing for a spot on next year's team. Two game tryout, if the mo-fo's don't show hustle and class wearing the traditional MS cap, then see u!

I know Cohen want do this but why not? Damn, one weekend series win, and 8 Sec wins, no matter what or how should we ever be in this bad of a situation. Yes, down years ok but at least make the damn Sec tourney!

Btw, I'm not saying fire Cohen, yet, but I'm saying he is on the clock now to get this turned around quickly, and like I'm on record as saying, I lost confidence he will next year. That's a big task frm what I see coming back and you never know how the incoming guys will pan out!