PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of the RPI system - baseball scheduling idea

bulldogcountry1
03-14-2015, 08:09 AM
There's been a lot of complaining about how Cohen doesn't schedule a strong enough OOC schedule. The only partial explanation I have heard is that he wants the fans to have as many home games as possible, which is pretty weak. There's been several ideas thrown around about just simply scheduling better, playing in big tournaments, or hitting the road. All are reasonable suggestions, and we should definitely do at least one of those things.

Here's the thing - scheduling isn't always a slam dunk. See Arizona last year. They won the CWS in what, 2012? We schedule them, and they turn into a SWAC RPI killer. You just can't do anything about that, though, right? I think you can.

Cohen loves to front load the schedule. We only have one midweek game after SBW. The problem is that you don't always know what you are going to get a year or more after you pencil them onto a future schedule. There is something that can be done.

My (partial) solution: Create "regional pools" of 6-8 teams that have agreed to play at least a couple games sometime in the latter part of the midweek season on specific dates. All schools agree that teams will be matched up according to RPI: highest two RPI teams play, next highest two, and so on. Home and away can be agreed upon in advance. Maybe all the games can be played at a minor league park. This will help protect those teams fighting for a host site or a regional spot by reducing some of the risk that comes with scheduling OOC.

It's just a small start, but it's something. It could develop into something where teams are in 2 or 3 different pools, amounting to 6 games. That could make a huge difference in RPI.

MsStateBaseball
03-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Well, he wants our great fans to have as many home games as possible. 15 for the SEC is given. Ron had roughly 16 non conf. Cohen bumped it up to 21 roughly. 2 in Pearl, one at Memphis, big alumni base and one at south Alabama, big alumni and recruiting base around Mobile.

Quaoarsking
03-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Another idea would be to expand the SEC season from 30 to 39 games. This would allow us to play a full round robin (determining the champion more fairly) and get 9 more good RPI games on the schedule.

Instead of 4 non-conference weekends and 10 SEC, do 2 non-conference weekends and 12 SEC. The final SEC series would be up to the teams to schedule, either on one of the first 2 weekends or during the midweek sometime.

I would also support some conference-wide rules on non-conference scheduling to keep everyone's SOS and opponent's opponent's record up.

messageboardsuperhero
03-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Well, he wants our great fans to have as many home games as possible. 15 for the SEC is given. Ron had roughly 16 non conf. Cohen bumped it up to 21 roughly. 2 in Pearl, one at Memphis, big alumni base and one at south Alabama, big alumni and recruiting base around Mobile.

I don't think most of our fans would care if sacrificed one weekend in February to play a road series that helps our RPI- not that many people show up to watch baseball in 40 degree weather anyway. IMO, you will see us play a few more early season OOC road games in the future, and that is definitely a good thing.

Todd4State
03-14-2015, 01:44 PM
It's about us being like LSU and doing what they do. LSU very rarely leaves the state of Louisiana- and if they do it's to play a major tournament like the one in Houston that they went to this year. It's about being the flagship baseball program in the state. Polk was making us go to places like La Tech, North Florida, etc. LSU also plays 2-3 games in New Orleans.

We already do one home and home series with a PAC 12 team- and this just happened to be the home year for us which means we get four home weekends to start.

Then there are considerations like travel, how much class time that the players will miss, the cost of not having a home game- all of that factors in.

I like the 39 SEC game idea- but I don't think it will happen because I don't think the coaches are going to only want one weekend of OOC games.