PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Opener

SapperDawg
03-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Who has plans for getting after turkey this weekend? I am worried the rain in North AL is going to mess up my hunt, as I can only go on Saturday morning. I hunt some public land that I have to reach with about a mile paddle in my kayak. It will be an early morning for me, no doubt.

How about y'all?

WeWillScrewItUp
03-13-2015, 09:28 PM
I will be getting up and going after them in the morning with my grandpa. The front seems to have moved out this evening and I hope they are talking in the morning.

SapperDawg
03-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Great big nada for me. Didn't even hear a gobble. Anyone else do any good?

GTHOM
03-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Thats rough man Ive been there. But me my dad and my 2 brothers did pretty good this morning, had 3 longbeards and 9 hens on us. Longbeard got to 50 yards twice but I didnt wanna risk a shot

SapperDawg
03-14-2015, 07:31 PM
It is tough. I am a public land hunter, so I mostly wait until after opening day to go when the crowds are gone. Today, I went to a spot I have that is really hard to get to - I have to paddle my yak about a mile to get there, and then I pretty much have several hundred acres to myself. There are many more misses than hits, for sure. I will be in North MS next weekend, sans wife and baby girl. Hopefully I can find a hunt while there.

WeWillScrewItUp
03-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Got one this morning. Didn't gobble once just came strolling down the road we were set up on. He had a 7.5 inch beard and 5/8 inch spurs. Not a monster bird but still a great hunt with my grandpa. Memories being made with my grandpa for sure.

SapperDawg
03-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Great deal WWSIU! I lost both my granddads when I was very young, so I never go to do any of these things with them, though I hear they were both pretty good with a fishing pole in the day. Hope you got some good pics.

engie
03-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Got one this am as well... 3 year old 10.5" beard and 1" Spurs... Saturday silence led to fired up birds on Sunday

Treemydawg
03-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Got one this am as well... 3 year old 10.5" beard and 1" Spurs... Saturday silence led to fired up birds on Sunday

Good to hear man. I never figured you were a hunter, congrats on the bird. There isn't anything in the world better than a gobbling, strutting, or spittin and drummin turkey in woods, it's just absolutely amazing. Words can't describe what turkey hunters get to experience in the woods, its just down right amazing.

engie
03-16-2015, 12:24 AM
The outdoors are my first love. I just don't talk about it much on here. Got a late start on turkey hunting and am far from being a very good turkey hunter, but am blessed with some fine property to chase them on...

Gonna get one more then try to get #3 with my bow(would be my first in that regard). Act like they did this morning and the Hoyt should be out in the next week or two. I do have a severe coyote problem though that I'm not quite sure how to deal with.. Had one hunting the same bird I was and have been noticing a lot of ground silence the last few years even for birds that come in on a string. Hardly the first time I had thought a coyote had screwed me up....

GTHOM
03-16-2015, 02:18 PM
The outdoors are my first love. I just don't talk about it much on here. Got a late start on turkey hunting and am far from being a very good turkey hunter, but am blessed with some fine property to chase them on...

Gonna get one more then try to get #3 with my bow(would be my first in that regard). Act like they did this morning and the Hoyt should be out in the next week or two. I do have a severe coyote problem though that I'm not quite sure how to deal with.. Had one hunting the same bird I was and have been noticing a lot of ground silence the last few years even for birds that come in on a string. Hardly the first time I had thought a coyote had screwed me up....

Engie I was hunting on Bienville national forest last year with my old man, had 2 birds gobbling good, they were on the ground headed our way, got to about 50 yards and all of a sudden pitched up in a tree. Next thing we see is 2 coyotes right behind them. I would have busted both of them but it was too far and we still were after the 2nd bird. Got to him and the coyotes followed him and ruined that set up too. Thats why all turkey hunters should lay any coyote they see down

engie
03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Engie I was hunting on Bienville national forest last year with my old man, had 2 birds gobbling good, they were on the ground headed our way, got to about 50 yards and all of a sudden pitched up in a tree. Next thing we see is 2 coyotes right behind them. I would have busted both of them but it was too far and we still were after the 2nd bird. Got to him and the coyotes followed him and ruined that set up too. Thats why all turkey hunters should lay any coyote they see down

I agree... I thought long and hard about depositing that $9 shell in that coyote's ass... It's just a tough decision when shooting him virtually assures the destruction of your hunt...

LandDawg
03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
with a nice 3 yr old I believe. He had a 10" beard and 1" spurs.

Like Engie, I was late to the sport of turkey hunting, but I am blessed with access to a very nice place.
This will be my 4th season to hunt and Ive had to teach myself. Ive been lucky enough to take 2 birds every year Ive hunted off this place.