PDA

View Full Version : OT: Seattle

Coackjek
03-13-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm spending a week in Seattle next week and was wondering if anyone has been there lately. What are some the best eats and things to see while out there?

Dawg61
03-13-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm spending a week in Seattle next week and was wondering if anyone has been there lately. What are some the best eats and things to see while out there?

My sister lives in Seattle. The food is awesome! Go to the most obscure sushi bar and dim sum places you can find. Phenomenal sushi in Seattle.

dawgs
03-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Must do:
Get a roast carribbean pork sandwich to go from paseo in Fremont. Call ahead and skip the line. Then take your sandwich down to Fremont brewery and enjoy it with a beer. Seriously it's one of the best 2 sandwiches I've ever had along with schwartz's deli smoked meat in montreal.

Other good stuff:
Salumi is also a world renown sandwich spot. Obviously walk around pike place market. If you are into music definitely check out the experience music project next to the space needle - it was started by jimi Hendrix's family. If you like beer, the brewery scene is primarily centered around the southern end of the ballard neighborhood in a warehouse district - my fav is Reuben's brews (along with the previously mentioned fremont brewery). If the weather is nice, head over to west seattle and walk along the waterfront for the best views of the downtown skyline, and it's a pretty awesome isolated neighborhood. Also, look into a ferry over to widby island and spend a day exploring. If you like soccer/sports, check and see if the sounders are playing at home and go, seattle (along with portland) have the best soccer fans on the country (edit: looks like the sounders play at home 3/14 if you'll be there by saturday).

godlluB
03-13-2015, 07:13 AM
If you have any interest in aviation or history, don't miss the Museum of Flight. It's one of the best aviation museums in the world.
If you have time, take a ride on a ferry, the views are spectacular.

Coackjek
03-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys! Salumi was a definite and I've heard about the Asian fare. The EMP, Museum of flight and the Needle were going to be hit as well. I'm one of those that like to find the "diamonds in the rough" when it comes to going somewhere new. Not big on sushi but will definitely try while there.

jbjones
03-13-2015, 09:43 PM
I would say "go to Ivers", but I see that it's temporarily closed. Damn awesome seafood joint there on the water.

Other than that, hit up the market! It's an awesome sight, and there are tons of stuff there. Good way to sample a lot of stuff. Seattle is one of my favorite cities in the US. Great place, enjoy it.

Todd4State
03-13-2015, 10:25 PM
I would say "go to Ivers", but I see that it's temporarily closed. Damn awesome seafood joint there on the water.

Other than that, hit up the market! It's an awesome sight, and there are tons of stuff there. Good way to sample a lot of stuff. Seattle is one of my favorite cities in the US. Great place, enjoy it.

Ivers being closed even temporarily makes me sad.

Todd4State
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
I did an OT school rotation there for three months so, I'm not sure that I can say that I "lived" there, but I was "in residence" at least.

I was going to say Iver's, but apparently that's not an option. That was my favorite restaurant there. I second the EMP and they have some duck tours- the duck is a hovercraft- that are pretty good. I always liked hanging out at Pike's Place Market. That's where they throw the fish, but there are some good restaurants there. You can buy some good food to take home- fruits vegetables and get some apples from Washington state. The Space Needle is good.

I don't know how long you are going to be there or what your transportation situation is like, but Mt. Ranier is not too far away from there. There will be a pretty good bit of snow there until May at least though. If you are going during the summer, that's a great place to go. Mt. St Helen's does helicopter tours over the volcano- there is still ash embedded into the highway throughout the Central/Eastern part of the state.

Most of the tourist stuff is along the waterfront. And if you go to a Sounders or a Mariners game, those stadiums are not far from there.

Fred Garvin
03-13-2015, 10:45 PM

There's more than one Ivers around town.

dawgs
03-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys! Salumi was a definite and I've heard about the Asian fare. The EMP, Museum of flight and the Needle were going to be hit as well. I'm one of those that like to find the "diamonds in the rough" when it comes to going somewhere new. Not big on sushi but will definitely try while there.

Just an FYI, paseo >>>>>>>> salumi imo. Though I haven't been to paseo since they were shut down for tax evasion and under paying employees, but it was reopened with the same employees, just a new owner.

Gas works park is also a cool park on the water with a good view of downtown to go relax in if the weather's nice.

Bullmutt
03-14-2015, 11:45 AM
If you like upscale dining, try La Campagne- just up the hill from Pike's Market. Very well prepared food. Any of the fresh salmon is great, regardless of recipe used.. Good wine list.

scottycameron
03-14-2015, 12:23 PM

Go get some fake eyeglasses and nerd out with your iPad in a starbucks. The fish market is supposed to be cool. They actually throw the fish all over the place.

lawdawg
03-14-2015, 03:17 PM

Go to Salty's for some fine dining with crab legs. The view is incredible (looking out over the sound back back toward downtown).

Make time to go to the park at Queen Anne's Point (or Mary or something). If you want a picture with the needle, downtown, and Rainier, that's the spot.