PDA

View Full Version : Petition: Let Callaway Boys and Olive Branch Girls Go to NYC

TheRef
03-12-2015, 01:46 PM
So this petition is to write a special waiver to allow Callaway's boys (including Malik Newman) and Olive Branch's girls to travel to the National High School Tournament in NYC. With both teams being in the Top-25 of the country, it's only fair to send our two best teams to this tournament. It's also pretty silly that state law won't let them go to this tournament when they've deserved it.

https://t.co/HBY4kUc3Ex

msstate7
03-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Velma Jackson (with our boy, weatherspoon) have a claim at that title also. Velma and callaway have 2 losses. Velma beat callaway by 7. Callaway beat Velma by 8. Pretty even, I'd say...

1bigdawg
03-12-2015, 02:30 PM
It's also pretty silly that state law won't let them go to this tournament when they've deserved it.

https://t.co/HBY4kUc3Ex

Is is State law or the MHSAA that won't allow it?

TheRef
03-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Is is State law or the MHSAA that won't allow it?

MHSAA rule that they like to enforce, for some reason.

smootness
03-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Have they been invited to play? There are only 8 teams that play in that tournament.

TheRef
03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Have they been invited to play? There are only 8 teams that play in that tournament.

I'm sure Callaway has...they're No. 4 in the country

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-12-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm all for eliminating the rule all together, but let's not make a special consideration this year and not the next. That will open a bigger can of worms. Any idea of the cost of the trip and who would pay for it?

TheRef
03-12-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm all for eliminating the rule all together, but let's not make a special consideration this year and not the next. That will open a bigger can of worms. Any idea of the cost of the trip and who would pay for it?

Georgia has set a precedent for it with one of their highly-ranked teams. They have a similar rule and allowed one of their teams to participate in the National tournament.

I'm sure they would do a fundraiser or something...much like how Callaway paid for going to games multiple states away.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Georgia has set a precedent for it with one of their highly-ranked teams. They have a similar rule and allowed one of their teams to participate in the National tournament.

I'm sure they would do a fundraiser or something...much like how Callaway paid for going to games multiple states away.

Possibly so, but it's a state by state issue. It's not national, so I'm not sure how much that precedent is worth. I can't fully support the trip if we don't know for sure where funding is coming from. If it's all from fundraising, I'm all for it.

Dawg61
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Possibly so, but it's a state by state issue. It's not national, so I'm not sure how much that precedent is worth. I can't fully support the trip if we don't know for sure where funding is coming from. If it's all from fundraising, I'm all for it.

If the schools can raise the money I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed. Boasting the National Champs in basketball has got to be a positive for the State.

notsofarawaydawg
03-12-2015, 03:53 PM
My concern is which SCHOOL would really be paying for the trip? Could become a bidding war for Malik.

quickstrike2
03-12-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't see any problem with it. If they school can raise the money to go and wants to go, it should happen. I might be missing something, but I don't see why the MHSAA should be able to use a power trip and stop it.

Boomer15
03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't see any problem with it. If they school can raise the money to go and wants to go, it should happen. I might be missing something, but I don't see why the MHSAA should be able to use a power trip and stop it.

It's out of season. It allows them to practice while everybody else can't. I think that's a big problem with it. You open it up for schools and other sports to try and do this.