PDA

View Full Version : Would we get more value by spending money on AD salary?

codeDawg
03-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Could we spend $300K-500K more / year on the AD position and make a bigger impact on MSU as a whole? Looking at SEC salaries for AD, it's no surprise to see the MS at the bottom. Also looking at that list it's no surprise to see some schools are overspending relative to their performance.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/sec-athletic-director-salaries/

There is no doubt that in the short time Byrne was here he had a bigger impact on MSU athletics than anyone I can remember. Could we get our Ninja back for $1MM, or at least find someone that could make a similar contribution?

TheRef
03-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Christ....y'all really want Scott Stricklin gone just because of Ray don't y'all?

Dawg61
03-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Christ....y'all really want Scott Stricklin gone just because of Ray don't y'all?

Abso****inglutely

TheRef
03-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Abso****inglutely

Seriously? So he 17'd up his first hire. He obviously learned from it with his subsequent hires. Vann, Schaefer, Vball, Soccer, etc. The dude has learned from his mistake.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Our athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in. Y'all cant see the forest for that one tree that keeps getting in the way.

DawgFromOxford
03-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Yeah I'm with the Ref on this one. Besides Ray I think Stricklin has done well. Plus he doesn't embarrass us by getting in twitter fights like the other AD in the state.

TheRef
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
And before you start praising the Ninja, remember that he's the one that pissed off people by reseating the Hump just for more money....

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Our athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in. Y'all cant see the forest for that one tree that keeps getting in the way.

This. Stricklin has done a great job for the most part. No idea how you could want him fired right now.

codeDawg
03-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Are we in the best shape we have ever been in? Sure, but look at the pitiful history we're comparing ourselves to. We are where we are because of the trajectory Byrne set us on. Say what you will, but SS is no GB. Why can't we continue to have a GB caliber AD?

As for the forrest and tree, it's not one tree that's a problem right now. Men's BB is a pretty significant part of the forest.

TheRef
03-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Are we in the best shape we have ever been in? Sure, but look at the pitiful history we're comparing ourselves to. We are where we are because of the trajectory Byrne set us on. Say what you will, but SS is no GB. Why can't we continue to have a GB caliber AD?

As for the forrest and tree, it's not one tree that's a problem right now. Men's BB is a pretty significant part of the forest.

Okay...so you're saying ALL OF THIS SUCCESS is because of Byrne...got it....but MBK failure is because of Stricklin. No agenda here....nope....none at alllllllll *********************

Political Hack
03-12-2015, 12:02 PM
One of the three is in dismal condition, but the other two are thriving. If one of those swings the other direction, it would be time to move quickly. The only thing that needs to be done IMO is to make sure that we formulate a controlled hiring process for the next time we have to hire a coach in the big 3. If we can do that and take some of the pressure off of Strick in that process, then I don't see any reason to remove him at this point.

Had we missed a bowl because of the scheduling of Okie State and then the SEC screwing us shortly after with the conference schedule, I would feel differently. We were lucky CDM was able to coach his butt off that year and get us to a bowl game despite a ridiculous schedule and awful injuries out the gate (and in the spring).

quickstrike2
03-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Wow, this is a little radical. I think Scott has done a pretty job as a whole, and I'm very pleased. He butchered the basketball hire, there is not much question in my opinion. We were in a tough spot and had to make a difficult hire, but why he chose the totally and completely off the radar hire of Ray will never be known. Hopefully he learned from that, and he has shown in his hire after that he did.

Dawg61
03-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Seriously? So he 17'd up his first hire. He obviously learned from it with his subsequent hires. Vann, Schaefer, Vball, Soccer, etc. The dude has learned from his mistake.

It's not just that he 17ed up the hire. It's his CONTINUED 17 up of the hire and his smug assholeness about it.

1. SS ****s up by not having a backup plan in place if Stansbury actually refuses to his terms.
2. SS ****s up by being sloppy and letting details get leaked about Prohm being hired which looks like it would of been a homerun. Prohm changes his mind once details got leaked.
3. SS ****s up by putting shackles on recruiting with the shy away from AAU shit and doesn't even entertain the idea of hiring Scott Drew who wants out at Baylor and had his agent contact us saying he's interested in it.
4. SS goes against everyone else telling him to hire Payne.
5. SS hires the 3rd assistant from one of the historically worst programs in the ACC that has zero HC experience and zero ties to MS. Rick Ray was a ****ing ACTUARY for a year. Holy shit that is a fireable offense by ITSELF.
6. SS really really ****s up by hiring the actuary after ONLY FIFTEEN DAYS!
7. SS continues to **** up by unexplainably giving Ray a year extension. (rumored)
8. SS continues to **** up by not firing Ray this year when it will be the only time he can offer a senior laden team to the new hire.

SS has done a good job in every other sport but his ego and continual **** ups in basketball is so egregious it wipes everything else out. Dan Mullen is the reason our football program is healthy. SS has very little to do with that.

codeDawg
03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Okay...so you're saying ALL OF THIS SUCCESS is because of Byrne...got it....but MBK failure is because of Stricklin. No agenda here....nope....none at alllllllll *********************

Mullen and Cohen were Byrne hires. Ray is a SS hire. Not only was Ray a major mistake, it's not being cleaned up.

Do you trust SS to hire the next basketball coach? Do you trust him to do the obvious thing and fire the one that isn't working out?

My only agenda is MSU winning. Having an AD in place that can not only make the best decisions up front, but have the humility to correct mistakes is paramount to having a successful program. The issue today isn't just the hire, it's the "two more years" stance.

If we're stuck with Ray for 2 more years either way, why don't we spend less money per year (than a new BB coach salary) on an AD we can trust to do the right thing?

TheRef
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Mullen and Cohen were Byrne hires. Ray is a SS hire. Not only was Ray a major mistake, it's not being cleaned up.

Do you trust SS to hire the next basketball coach? Do you trust him to do the obvious thing and fire the one that isn't working out?

My only agenda is MSU winning. Having an AD in place that can not only make the best decisions up front, but have the humility to correct mistakes is paramount to having a successful program. The issue today isn't just the hire, it's the "two more years" stance.

If we're stuck with Ray for 2 more years either way, why don't we spend less money per year (than a new BB coach salary) on an AD we can trust to do the right thing?

If you look at the hires that SS has done after Ray, you can see that his hiring process has improved dramatically. The guy has learned from his mistake, and he will take the action that he thinks is best for MSU. Now where are you seeing that we have him for 2 years? As far as I know, he never got an extension. So next year is his last year on the contract.

Liverpooldawg
03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
I think he got one after his first year.

TheRef
03-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I think he got one after his first year.

yet no one reported it? Not a single article, not even a press release from the University?

Dawg61
03-12-2015, 12:48 PM
The guy has learned from his mistake, and he will take the action that he thinks is best for MSU.

What? No he hasn't and no he won't because RAY IS STILL THE HC!

TheRef
03-12-2015, 12:48 PM
What? No he hasn't and no he won't because RAY IS STILL THE HC!

Yet he hired great coaches after Ray...I think he learned, 61. I'm done talking to you about this. Good day, sir.