PDA

View Full Version : Huge problems on offense - baseball

Smitty
03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
If Cohen isn't going to change his philosophy or development strategy we will not be a top tier program year in and year out. How do we get this problem fixed? Does he have complete autonomy on staff decisions?

We need a top tier hitting coach, period. The in-game strategy is secondary but we have, for years, not hit.

Bully13
03-11-2015, 10:14 PM
cohen is the problem. we seem to have an attitude about putting the coach over the program. I've never seen such retardation / wasted talent in a long time.

preachermatt83
03-11-2015, 10:18 PM
If Cohen isn't going to change his philosophy or development strategy we will not be a top tier program year in and year out. How do we get this problem fixed? Does he have complete autonomy on staff decisions?

We need a top tier hitting coach, period. The in-game strategy is secondary but we have, for years, not hit.

I agree. I think Cohen is a great recruiter and above average coach, albeit he makes some dumb moves at times. I honestly believe we are one REALLY good hitting coach away from being the best program in College Baseball. We are pitching and defending well enough to beat anyone, we just can't hit. And that has been the problem since Cohen has been here.

Smitty
03-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Great recruiter, great infield coach.

But if you aren't willing to admit and fix your faults you will never be that top tier. Because our faults are huge offensively.

Smitty
03-11-2015, 10:48 PM
ALSO - Those moon shots from WKU… Yep…… They use Eastons.

berr6728
03-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Great recruiter, great infield coach.

But if you aren't willing to admit and fix your faults you will never be that top tier. Because our faults are huge offensively.

I was called out by many of you as being negative with my comments, but you may now see why I was stating the things I said. You all can kiss our coaches ass as being the savior for baseball. But he will never be a national championship winner at MSU, as he will not change or admit to being wrong. we have tremendous talent but it is not being used as it should. I applaud the poster who said we will never be a top tier program as we have a head coach who is sturburn and hardheaded. The elite programs do not waste the OOC games to find his starters. We have done it for 7 years and still have problems adjusting. I have never been sold on Cohen as our coach, just like Stricklen as our AD. When you give someone their dream job you can figure that they will not rock the boat and make strong decisions. We will never be a top tier athletic program in the SEC as long as our AD has his lifetime job and our baseball coach also has his. Just my 2 cents worth, The 4 losses in last 6 games is why we will never be a top tier team in the country. It is not the losses but who we lost to.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 10:59 PM
ALSO - Those moon shots from WKU… Yep…… They use Eastons.

I agree w you every now and then, in this case, I agree again. But w that said, Adidas isn't our problem. Our hitters are.

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2015, 11:04 PM
I agree. I think Cohen is a great recruiter and above average coach, albeit he makes some dumb moves at times. I honestly believe we are one REALLY good hitting coach away from being the best program in College Baseball. We are pitching and defending well enough to beat anyone, we just can't hit. And that has been the problem since Cohen has been here.

1. The 2015 recruiting class is good, but, if he's such a great recruiter, why don't we have any top 10 round draft picks on our team?

We aren't wasting talent. We just have very little of it.

We have nice players that can compete, but we don't have difference makers.

IMO, we are playing at right about what our talent level is.

In comparison, LSU is playing right about where their talent level is: Bregman - 1st rounder, Foster - top 3 rounder, Stevenson - Top 5 rounder Poche - Top 7 rounder in 2016, Lang - 1st rounder in 2017, Laird - Top 10 rounder & so on and so on....

Where are our top 10 round players? This isn't so much about coaching as it's about winning recruiting battles for good players that can run, impact the ball, & throw gas with wipe out sliders.

That's what this is about.

The good thing, is that the coaches have realized this and have guys coming in like Riley, Ford, Fenter, Pickett, & Small. Now we just have to hope that we don't lose all of them to the draft. Odds are in our favor to probably get 3 of the 5

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Here are the batting averages from our "huge problem"- or am I putting words into your mouth again Smitty?

C- Collins- .083, but just coming back.
1B- Rea- .342
2B- Gridley- .339
3B- Spruill- .313
SS- Heck- .384
LF- Vickerson- .361
CF- Robson- .396
RF- Brown- .372
DH- Holland- .255 after starting the year at .185 at one point I believe.

And again, I will say it- we are near the top of the country in offense at this present time. Including in runs scored, OBP, batting average, and walks. Now, Smitty is going to talk about how we've been "beating up" lesser oppoents- but that's because he is hoping everyone is too ignorant to look up the fact that Arizona and San Diego are good teams- who we are 3-2 and should be 4-1 against right now had our bullpen not had a meltdown in a game where our "huge problem" scored 6 runs.

The biggest issue we have had on offense since Cohen has been here has been injuries. Jarrod Parks missed an entire year, CT and Daryl Norris were constantly hurt, last year Robson was out, and now we've had issues with Rea- who has missed parts of seasons since he has been here, Collins, and now Humphreys.

In the meantime, Hunter Renfroe has become a first round pick, Frazier, Pirtle, and Parks became good SEC hitters and have gone on to pro baseball. Seth Heck has been good, Rea looks a lot better, Collins will be a draft pick next year and maybe Humphreys if he can get his act together, etc. There are too many signs that show improvement for there to be a "problem". Like with Croom, you could compare his offense with others around the country and you could see that there was an issue. With Cohen, you can't do that with statistics- which is why Smitty rarely uses them to defend his position other than saying "but we bunt too much".

If someone REALLY wants to do something to help the offense out, I would suggest having a booster go throw about 2 million dollars at Greg Pickett.

And before anyone asks- I'm purposefully left off Humphreys and Rooker because the players I listed are the ones that probably should be playing the most right now- although Lovelady has a strong argument for the DH spot right now.

RougeDawg
03-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I agree w you every now and then, in this case, I agree again. But w that said, Adidas isn't our problem. Our hitters are.

Hitters mechanics, preparation and approach at the plate are all issues. Been saying this for the last few years but I kept getting bashed repeatedly by just about every so called "baseball" person on here. How dare I point out obvious issues with our offense, as long as short porch at Kentucky, hitting guru was running the show. I've noticed with Cohen with many on here, they see only those things they wish to see and hope will happen. Not look at the entire picture of facts and body of work before they make their decisions.

It's simple to see that if our hitters even get any hitting instruction at all , the instruction is for them to be defensive slap hitters and hope to score runs.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 11:06 PM
I was called out by many of you as being negative with my comments, but you may now see why I was stating the things I said. You all can kiss our coaches ass as being the savior for baseball. But he will never be a national championship winner at MSU, as he will not change or admit to being wrong. we have tremendous talent but it is not being used as it should. I applaud the poster who said we will never be a top tier program as we have a head coach who is sturburn and hardheaded. The elite programs do not waste the OOC games to find his starters. We have done it for 7 years and still have problems adjusting. I have never been sold on Cohen as our coach, just like Stricklen as our AD. When you give someone their dream job you can figure that they will not rock the boat and make strong decisions. We will never be a top tier athletic program in the SEC as long as our AD has his lifetime job and our baseball coach also has his. Just my 2 cents worth, The 4 losses in last 6 games is why we will never be a top tier team in the country. It is not the losses but who we lost to.

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

Didn't Ron Polk lose to Mississippi College with the 85 team?

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2015, 11:07 PM
we have tremendous talent but it is not being used as it should.

Not in the least

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 11:08 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

He might have flaws, no he does have flaws. However, he did take us to the finals of the cws. Come on man. Who else has done that?.......ummmmmmm nobody.

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Didn't Ron Polk lose to Mississippi College with the 85 team?

I think we lost to them in 88 or 89 as well.

Smitty
03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Todd is very good at listing the names of baseball commits (Alexander, Barlow, James, Pilkington, Pickett, Riley) thats off memory from the many many Todd-Lists that get posted.

Todd is not very good at actual baseball and logic/common sense.

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Todd is very good at listing the names of baseball commits (Alexander, Barlow, James, Pilkington, Pickett, Riley) thats off memory from the many many Todd-Lists that get posted.

I actually think Todd knows the game very well. You just don't like the answers

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 11:13 PM
1. The 2015 recruiting class is good, but, if he's such a great recruiter, why don't we have any top 10 round draft picks on our team?

We aren't wasting talent. We just have very little of it.

We have nice players that can compete, but we don't have difference makers.

IMO, we are playing at right about what our talent level is.

In comparison, LSU is playing right about where their talent level is: Bregman - 1st rounder, Foster - top 3 rounder, Stevenson - Top 5 rounder Poche - Top 7 rounder in 2016, Lang - 1st rounder in 2017, Laird - Top 10 rounder & so on and so on....

Where are our top 10 round players? This isn't so much about coaching as it's about winning recruiting battles for good players that can run, impact the ball, & throw gas with wipe out sliders.

That's what this is about.

The good thing, is that the coaches have realized this and have guys coming in like Riley, Ford, Fenter, Pickett, & Small. Now we just have to hope that we don't lose all of them to the draft. Odds are in our favor to probably get 3 of the 5

THANK YOU. Hence my comment about Greg Pickett. We have to find a way to get players like Pickett and Riley to actually turn down $$$$ and come to MSU like LSU and Vanderbilt do. Of course it helps that every kid in Louisiana which has more baseball talent than Mississippi feels a duty to go play for LSU- and the fact that they can use TOPS to whatever the name of the program is is just the icing on cake.

If we have Chase Vallot, we wouldn't miss Gavin Collins and Dale Burdick would be starting at our revolving door at third base right now.

That said, winning with the players that we are getting helps- and getting guys like Renfroe and eventually Collins into pro ball and MLB speaks well for us. Going to Omaha and building the new stadium will help as well.

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 11:32 PM

Here's your problem smitty, bunting is a sin. Never ever should you bunt. You say it's ok sometimes, but I've never seen you agree w it ever. There is a time and a place to bunt. There are tons in factors, who's up, who's on deck, who's hot, who's not, who's pitching etc....yet you use a stat book that says it's never ok to bunt. Hell statistically it's better to go for two every time in football. Yet playing bama it's not a good idea. Statistically it's better to go for it on every forth down less than 7 yards....you get the point. There's more to the game than reading a book.....heck 2 weeks ago your ultimate lineup had hump hitting 3rd, now you say he need to sit for vick(which I have no issue w by the way). You swore it was the ultimate line-up. Sometimes you just bitch to bitch....

Smitty
03-11-2015, 11:33 PM
.249 team average since the Pine Bluff fiasco.

6 XBH… in our last 6 games. If my counting is correct.

Lead the conference in sac bunts.. Tons of buntfails (like today's 1st)

Cody Brown leads our team in slugging AND sac bunts…

47% of our runs came in 4 games… Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Alcorn, and Alabama A&M. Yes, we are beating up on shitty teams, Todd.

Smitty
03-11-2015, 11:35 PM
heck 2 weeks ago your ultimate lineup had hump hitting 3rd, now you say he need to sit for vick

Unlike Cohen I use new info and change my approach to maximize success based on using all evidence.

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Unlike Cohen I use new info and change my approach to maximize success based on using all evidence.

Fair enough on that point, which you should. And kudos to you- notice you failed to retort to the other points.... I will say you have calmed some......some

RougeDawg
03-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Here's your problem smitty, bunting is a sin. Never ever should you bunt. You say it's ok sometimes, but I've never seen you agree w it ever. There is a time and a place to bunt. There are tons in factors, who's up, who's on deck, who's hot, who's not, who's pitching etc....yet you use a stat book that says it's never ok to bunt. Hell statistically it's better to go for two every time in football. Yet playing bama it's not a good idea. Statistically it's better to go for it on every forth down less than 7 yards....you get the point. There's more to the game than reading a book.....heck 2 weeks ago your ultimate lineup had hump hitting 3rd, now you say he need to sit for vick(which I have no issue w by the way). You swore it was the ultimate line-up. Sometimes you just bitch to bitch....

Bunting in situations where bunting is needed is different when you have players that can execute and when you have players that cannot. Based on what I have seen, we don't have players who can bunt correctly. Rarely do any of our hitters ever get the bat out in front of themselves and the plate, slightly with the head pointed up/handle down, either barrel or handle pointed toward opposite base you are attempting to bunt, and then catching the ball on the bat bending at the knees to adjust to height of pitch.

Most of our hitters, keep the bat close to their bodies, out over the plate, usually flat, not properly oriented to the direction they wish to bunt, and then they stab at the ball while moving hands up and down without using knees. Any one of these done incorrectly, greatly reduces your success rate when bunting.

I can go in depth as to why each of these items is critical to bunting if needed. But the main point is we haven't had a mechanically sound bunter since Adam Frazier. Demarcus Henderson could have raised his average 50-100 points if he had been taught the proper bunting mechanics. All of these things people are talking about are apparently not being addressed by our coaching staff, but are not problems new to 2015.

DawgFromOxford
03-11-2015, 11:45 PM
I'm going to guess probably not, but anything we can do as a fanbase to voice our opinion to Cohen about hiring a hitting coach?

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm going to guess probably not, but anything we can do as a fanbase to voice our opinion to Cohen about hiring a hitting coach?

We can hire whoever, it's john's hitting philosophy. Right or wrong. Good or bad. Hitting coach won't change a thing.

Smitty
03-12-2015, 07:00 AM
We can hire whoever, it's john's hitting philosophy. Right or wrong. Good or bad. Hitting coach won't change a thing.

Disagree completely. Cohens dumbass calls are costly but our lack of developing hitters, proper technique, etc, affects damn near every plate appearance.

It's just very unfortunate that the same issues are failed to even be addressed as issues, let alone get fixed, for half a decade. We need an active media campaign, tweeting reporters to ask these questions. Our interviews are basically John talking with no tough, digging deep questions. We deserve answers.

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Here's what I'm sick of... I'm sick on Cohen saying in every interview that we want to have an "aggressive offensive approach," and then we turn around and have a week like this. I mean, how in the **** is sac bunting your hottest hitter in the first inning with no one out aggressive? That is the antithesis of aggressive- that is the definition of passive, pussified baseball. How is continuously watching fastballs down the middle of the plate early in the AB and in fastball counts aggressive baseball? That is a passive, "let's hope the other team screws up" philosophy- and it s boring as hell to watch, usually doesn't work that well against competent competition, and it's really starting to piss me off.

And what's worse is that this passive philosophy we've had the last few games (bunting in the first inning) is starting to trickle down to the players, and they're starting to lose confidence, IMO. Let the players play John. Let them swing the damn bat in a 2-0, 3-1 count.

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Also, what makes this even worse is that Cohen probably takes this poor offensive week to mean we need MORE smallball- without even considering the fact that this philosophy is screwing with our player's heads and makes them think you have no confidence in them... I mean, we're playing Western ****ing Kentucky and going against some true freshman they're having to throw to the wolves. He gives up a leadoff double and is rattled, so what do we do instead of going for the jugular and playing AGGRESSIVE baseball? We force our hottest hitter to make an out.

The players need confidence... Bunting in the first inning against a scrub from western Kentucky, playing to try and scratch out a run in the first inning- it's just ridiculous, and it would totally screw with my mentality at the plate if I was on the team.

shoeless joe
03-12-2015, 07:29 AM
This really is becoming comical.

Are there some adjustments we could make they may improve us offensively? Yes...and 13 other teams in the SEC would say the same. If Collins' ball Friday nite stays fair and the pen doesn't blow it Sunday then all of you wouldn't be losing your shit about how "Cohen sucks" and "we'll never be good at baseball with Cohen". And I was one of the ones on here saying I wanted to see how we did against better pitching when we jumped out so hot, but at the same time you can't jump off a cliff when the offense hits a lull. 5 games does not a season make...and we very easily could have been 4-1 in those 5.

We all knew coming in that this group lacked the overall skill of the last few years so I'm not sure what the big surprise here is. If I had to bet I'd say Cohen has this team battling and competing all SEC season and we'll see how it shakes out in the end. Hopefully some of the guys that need developing will get their ABs in and improve, even against the better pitchers we will face from here on out.

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2015, 07:34 AM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

Oh lord... Good to see you're still posting the nonsensical ramblings of Darryl...

Smitty
03-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Also, what makes this even worse is that Cohen probably takes this poor offensive week to mean we need MORE smallball

This is correct, it's playing out just like 2012's offense did.

mic
03-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Biggest problem outside of maybe Heck Collins and yes. Frosh Griddley , this team has ZERO STONES and is soft..
Somebody needs to go Paul O'Neil on a dugout cooler, or get in some ass .. Nope we are too busy trying to orchestrate what funny dance or chant or what inning we will wear our belts around heads and hats to the side..
There has to be a few on this team step up and say enough with the bullshit.. And Let's start ****ing hitting the baseball...

maroonmania
03-12-2015, 08:53 AM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

Well, Cohen has some issues primarily on developing hitters but he is still an upgrade from Polk who never won a championship and never would have won a championship. Couldn't even win a championship in 85 with 4 major leaguers on the team at a time when MSU was one of the few schools that put any emphasis on baseball. Cohen has already gotten within 2 wins of a NC with more talent on the way. So yes, we have some issues in our offensive philosophy but for you to say we will never have a NC winner at MSU under Cohen when he has already been in the WS finals in just year 5 is just off base.

HancockCountyDog
03-12-2015, 08:55 AM
The one post that caught my eye - have we really scored 47% of our runs in four games? If so, I think everyone would agree that the stats are skewed then.

Also, I've always thought that for the most part the team batting average drop when going to league play; So I checked it out and here are the results:

In 2014, our team BA. throughout the entire season was .275; In conference .263 which means our OOC BA was roughly .290;
In 2013, our team BA, throughout the entire season was .293; In conference .274 which means our OOC BA was roughly .312;
In 2012, our team BA, throughout the entire season was .251; In conference .228 which means our OOC BA was roughly .274;

Currently we are hitting .297. We can expect our SEC average to be around .270 if history is any indication.

My biggest concern is that we have 38 extra base hits (26 doubles, 5 triples and 7 homers) in 19 games. That means we are averaging 2 XBH per game. Against pretty average competition. That is a huge concern.

For comparison, AU has 51 XBH in 17 games, Bama has 50 XBH in 15 games. The bears who's offense is putrid has 39 XBH in 16 games against much tougher competition.

If history is any indication, and it usually is in baseball, we can expect our average to drop now that SEC play is about to start which means it will be even tougher to score runs. That is a big concern.

BiscuitEater
03-12-2015, 08:59 AM
You all can kiss our coaches ass as being the savior for baseball. But he will never be a national championship winner at MSU, as he will not change or admit to being wrong. we have tremendous talent but it is not being used as it should. I applaud the poster who said we will never be a top tier program as we have a head coach who is sturburn and hardheaded.

Where were you 20 months ago while I was sitting in Ameritrade watching MSU play in the CWS Championship games?

I'm 62 years old .. and that is the closest Mississippi State has come to a NC in one of the 'big 3' sports in my lifetime.

I got it .. YOU don't like Cohen .. at all. He ISN'T perfect. Who is? Why not let this season 'play out' BEFORE calling for a firing squad?

sandwolf
03-12-2015, 09:04 AM
The one post that caught my eye - have we really scored 47% of our runs in four games? If so, I think everyone would agree that the stats are skewed then.

Yes, 63 out of 135 runs were scored in 4 games.

BiscuitEater
03-12-2015, 09:13 AM
This is correct, it's playing out just like 2012's offense did.

Is that the one that was in the CWS Championship .. or was it the year before? I forget.**

BiscuitEater
03-12-2015, 09:19 AM
This really is becoming comical.

Are there some adjustments we could make they may improve us offensively? Yes...and 13 other teams in the SEC would say the same. If Collins' ball Friday nite stays fair and the pen doesn't blow it Sunday then all of you wouldn't be losing your shit about how "Cohen sucks" and "we'll never be good at baseball with Cohen". And I was one of the ones on here saying I wanted to see how we did against better pitching when we jumped out so hot, but at the same time you can't jump off a cliff when the offense hits a lull. 5 games does not a season make...and we very easily could have been 4-1 in those 5.

We all knew coming in that this group lacked the overall skill of the last few years so I'm not sure what the big surprise here is. If I had to bet I'd say Cohen has this team battling and competing all SEC season and we'll see how it shakes out in the end. Hopefully some of the guys that need developing will get their ABs in and improve, even against the better pitchers we will face from here on out.

Post & I agree.

Anyone that thinks Wes or Heck haven't made 'hitting adjustments' from last year are blind. Why not wait a while .. before real panic.

Smitty
03-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Batting average is a flawed metric to use. You hit the nail on the head when discussing our lack of power we are seeing with XBH, especially given our schedule.

47% of our runs came in 4 games.
Cody Brown leads the team in slugging and sac bunts.
We lead the conference in sac bunts, not counting the numerous bunt fails as well.

Currently 7th in the nation in Sac Bunts… 7th! Playing a weak ass schedule we are still 7th.

Smitty
03-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Is that the one that was in the CWS Championship .. or was it the year before? I forget.**

No, that was the team that

1. bunted our 3 hole hitter in the 1st inning with the first two batters of the game on base, yielding just one run..
2.Tried to squeeze home Wes 17ing Rea in the 2nd inning.. (no runs scored)
3.Got Rea thrown out at 3rd base on a sac bunt attempt in the 4th inning.. (no runs scored after the bunt attempt)
4. Sac bunted a man from 1st to 2nd in the 7th.. (no runs scored)

And lost the last game of our season 3-2 to Samford in the most Cohenball game ever.
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/stats/bb/2012/ms0603.htm

Smitty
03-12-2015, 09:33 AM

This whole attitude with baseball is the issue. Nobody wants to get rid of Cohen but there is a glaring weakness that can EASILY be fixed to make us an annual power. WHy wouldn't you want that fixed.

"Cohen did some good things so I'm not gonna say anything about flaws" is what you people are saying. Our flaw is an easy fix! Getting players is the challenge in college ball and thats what we do very well! We have major problems developing hitters and making in-game calls. Easy fix. Hire a hitting coach and stop bunting all the damn time!

We were #1 in the country in football this year, but everyone could still see 1A 1B was flawed. Its no different here but you have some people with baseball that make it so personal they can't allow ANY criticism because "look at what Cohen's accomplished"… Is there a problem? Can we fix it and get EVEN BETTER as a program? Yes and Yes.. You people like Biscuit are whats holding us back not moving us forward.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-12-2015, 09:34 AM
The sac bunting is completely out of hand. The sac bunt in the first inning was absolutely inexcusable. Your leadoff guy rips a double down the line...and you sac bunt your #2 guy? Who does that?! Let the guy swing away. We are getting on base at a very nice clip, just stop with the bunting for pete's sake.

BiscuitEater
03-12-2015, 09:40 AM
I was called out by many of you as being negative with my comments, but you may now see why I was stating the things I said. .

And, again .. you appear after a loss. So, I'm 'calling you out again. You don't like Cohen ..

But he will never be a national championship winner at MSU, as he will not change or admit to being wrong.

You 'may' be right .. but he has got us closer than ANY other coach in 125 years.

I applaud the poster who said we will never be a top tier program as we have a head coach who is sturburn and hardheaded. .

Yea, and he reminds me of another 'sturburn and hardheaded' coach. In fact, Saban is probably the most 'sturburn and hardheaded' coach in the college coaching business. Seems to be working okay for Bama.

Just my 2 cents worth, The 4 losses in last 6 games is why we will never be a top tier team in the country. It is not the losses but who we lost to.

Okay, guess we will see 'how' the season plays out. Sure hope you only come here to post when we lose. What a miserable way to follow MSU baseball.

Reminds me of the ~3 year campaign Coach34 waged on SPS against Stans .. that's worked out well**

messageboardsuperhero
03-12-2015, 10:13 AM
This whole attitude with baseball is the issue. Nobody wants to get rid of Cohen but there is a glaring weakness that can EASILY be fixed to make us an annual power. WHy wouldn't you want that fixed.

"Cohen did some good things so I'm not gonna say anything about flaws" is what you people are saying. Our flaw is an easy fix! Getting players is the challenge in college ball and thats what we do very well! We have major problems developing hitters and making in-game calls. Easy fix. Hire a hitting coach and stop bunting all the damn time!

We were #1 in the country in football this year, but everyone could still see 1A 1B was flawed. Its no different here but you have some people with baseball that make it so personal they can't allow ANY criticism because "look at what Cohen's accomplished"? Is there a problem? Can we fix it and get EVEN BETTER as a program? Yes and Yes.. You people like Biscuit are whats holding us back not moving us forward.

Spot on. I love Cohen as our coach for the most part, but like any coach, there are things he could get better at. You can point out someone's flaws without wanting them fired- that's called constructive criticism. Nobody here wants Cohen fired, except Darryl of course.

HancockCountyDog
03-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Spot on. I love Cohen as our coach for the most part, but like any coach, there are things he could get better at. You can point out someone's flaws without wanting them fired- that's called constructive criticism. Nobody here wants Cohen fired, except Darryl of course.

Good lord, I must still be hungover from last night, but I completely agree with Smitty's post.

tcdog70
03-12-2015, 11:40 AM
The sac bunting is completely out of hand. The sac bunt in the first inning was absolutely inexcusable. Your leadoff guy rips a double down the line...and you sac bunt your #2 guy? Who does that?! Let the guy swing away. We are getting on base at a very nice clip, just stop with the bunting for pete's sake.

can we not hit the ball to the right side and get the runner to 3td that way? we might even get a hit. Man on second is usually in scoring position, unless you are MSU . We have a third base coach who won't wave the runner Home. Collins steals second then they hold Him up on a ball Wes hit right down right field Line, My grandmother could have scored. Of course with no outs Collins is left stranded.

maroonmania
03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

We were #1 in the country in football this year, but everyone could still see 1A 1B was flawed. Its no different here but you have some people with baseball that make it so personal they can't allow ANY criticism because "look at what Cohen's accomplished"? Is there a problem? Can we fix it and get EVEN BETTER as a program? Yes and Yes.. You people like Biscuit are whats holding us back not moving us forward.

The biggest problem is you carrying on about all of this on a message board to us like WE AS FANS are suppose to be doing something about it. JOHN COHEN is the coach and he is the only one that can do anything about it. All we can do is complain, which a lot have started doing. Cohen's boss is Scott Sticklin who would be the only person I know that might influence Cohen to do something about it. There is NO EASY FIX when the guy in charge doesn't want anything changed or believe there is a philosophy change needed. Your rants should be sent to John Cohen's mailing address I guess because you carry on like somebody here has some control to change our offensive philosophy and they don't. People that defend Cohen's philosophy or our offensive output here don't have any control or influence either.

sleepy dawg
03-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Darryl Berryhill
Class of 1963/65
Box 13 DNF/PDS
berr67258@bellsouth.net
1-225-205-1499

At least he didn't use as an excuse as to why we shouldn't build a new stadium.

mstatefan91
03-12-2015, 03:52 PM
The bunting decisions kill me. Tuesday, Cody Brown was made to bunt as the lead off man. Cody "rip doubles and triples" Brown should never bunt...

maroonmania
03-12-2015, 03:55 PM
The bunting decisions kill me. Tuesday, Cody Brown was made to bunt as the lead off man. Cody "rip doubles and triples" Brown should never bunt...

I don't think there has ever been more agreement on this board than the fact that its asinine to bunt with your #2 hitter in the lineup in the first freakin' inning right after you leadoff guy gets a double and is already in scoring position.

mstatefan91
03-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't think there has ever been more agreement on this board than the fact that its asinine to bunt with your #2 hitter in the lineup in the first freakin' inning right after you leadoff guy gets a double and is already in scoring position.

That may be what I'm thinking about. I thought there was an inning Tuesday where Cody was made to bunt as the lead off hitter in the inning. Either way, really really dumb. Cody has been the guy who has gotten it done at the plate this year