PDA

View Full Version : Someone remind me why we continue to play Humphries?

38843dawg
03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
strikeout machine and automatic out so far this season.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 07:04 PM
He does have some talent and needs some AB's to get better against the hooks- but batting him higher than 8th or starting him more than once every 3 games is downright stupid. He is going to be a .220 hitter this year

mparkerfd20
03-11-2015, 07:06 PM
.220 at best with 75K at this rate

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Why do we play Humphreys? Because he leads our team in home runs.

preachermatt83
03-11-2015, 09:00 PM

true, but he should be batting like 7th or 8th

Coach34
03-11-2015, 09:01 PM

and K's...while he hits .215 against a weakass schedule

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
true, but he should be batting like 7th or 8th

I agree he shouldn't be batting clean up, and dropping him down might actually help him out.

maroonmania
03-11-2015, 09:08 PM
All I remember hearing about when we signed him was that he was the most talented, most college ready offensive player Cohen had ever signed. Man, what a disappointment.

godlluB
03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
I can understand playing Humphries better than I can understand starting a pitcher with an ERA of 81 (before tonight) when the team needed a morale boost.

Homedawg
03-11-2015, 09:27 PM

Todd I think you are a good baseball guy and good poster. I think you are on point way more than not, However, it's not like hump has 6 hr and the next is zero. He's an out at this point. He's a platoon type player at this point in his career.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I can understand playing Humphries better than I can understand starting a pitcher with an ERA of 81 (before tonight) when the team needed a morale boost.

Morale boost? We won the game before in extra innings.

I would have started McCord- not sure that the results would have been any more different though. I would have been up in arms had we started one of our weekend guys- as would the entire board. We don't have five quality starters- but the good news is we are only going to play four games a week going forward which will help the pitching staff and the bullpen.

This was essentially a bullpen game, and I was fairly pleased with how they did overall. And to go further, I thought Fitts and Mintz did pretty well last night as well.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Todd I think you are a good baseball guy and good poster. I think you are on point way more than not, However, it's not like hump has 6 hr and the next is zero. He's an out at this point. He's a platoon type player at this point in his career.

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense to me for people to complain about small ball and then at the same time demand that one of the top power guys sits.

maroonmania
03-11-2015, 09:41 PM
I get what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense to me for people to complain about small ball and then at the same time demand that one of the top power guys sits.

Yes, we all want power but not if the guys average is .214. Got to hit a lot more than 2 HRs in nearly 20 games to make up for a .214 average and a buttload of strikeouts.

shoeless joe
03-11-2015, 09:55 PM
All I remember hearing about when we signed him was that he was the most talented, most college ready offensive player Cohen had ever signed. Man, what a disappointment.

A lot of that was based off where he played high school and who his older brother is.

I still think he will be a good player and am hopeful he will get ABs and show some progress by the end of this year. Dropping him in the order will take a little pressure off and may allow him to see se better pitches.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Yes, we all want power but not if the guys average is .214. Got to hit a lot more than 2 HRs in nearly 20 games to make up for a .214 average and a buttload of strikeouts.

I hear you. Humphreys has to learn how to use the whole field and become a better hitter and once he does he will hit with more power. Once Gavin gets going, he and Rea will take some pressure off of Humphreys.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
A lot of that was based off where he played high school and who his older brother is.

I still think he will be a good player and am hopeful he will get ABs and show some progress by the end of this year. Dropping him in the order will take a little pressure off and may allow him to see se better pitches.

I think you are spot on. Humphreys played in the best league in Mississippi as far as high school baseball goes.

Of course, that's not always an indicator of immediate future success.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 10:06 PM
I hear you. Humphreys has to learn how to use the whole field and become a better hitter and once he does he will hit with more power. Once Gavin gets going, he and Rea will take some pressure off of Humphreys.

Its not about pressure at this point. Its about scouting reports and what he cant hit. He is about to start facing better pitching consistently now- not worse.

I'd roll with Vickerson and stick with him. Vickerson can hit .260 playing everyday. Humphreys cant

Bully13
03-11-2015, 10:17 PM
it doesn't matter who we start now or don't. we're riding the good ship lolly pop for now. we were runner up's 2 years ago. we need to ride that for 5 more years before we get serious again. c'mon people, it's just baseball!!!

Smitty
03-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Its not about pressure, Its about scouting reports and what he cant hit. He is about to start facing better pitching consistently now- not worse.

Bingo. You don't need a psychiatrist in the dugout to explain everything contrary to some beliefs around here. I expected too much on the development side of Ming and Cohen.

Hump will get eaten alive in league play.

MsStateBaseball
03-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Hump needs experience, needs at bats, leave him alone he will figure it out.

basedog
03-12-2015, 06:32 AM
I have to laugh when I hear "pressure" for a hitter! Good players live for the moment and have no fear, bad players are scared and worry about failure.

"There's no crying in baseball"!

HancockCountyDog
03-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Hump needs experience, needs at bats, leave him alone he will figure it out.

He is a third of the way through the season, and my biggest issue is that he isn't hitting balls right at people, he is missing the ball.

Just because the guy can hit the ball a long way in BP doesn't mean anything when it comes to having power in game. I hope he gets out of it, but its not like we dont have a decent sample size that shows he might not be ready to contribute.

tcdog70
03-12-2015, 10:59 AM
If he just makes contact we score a couple more runs. when we have runners in scoring position please hit the first pitch that is down the middle. Working the count is not an option with Hump. Our younger Hitters also once they get 2 strikes on them their buttholes draw up.Pretty simple plan of Humphreys throw strike one (he takes) then throw breakers outside the zone--K

Tripp McNeely
03-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Hump needs the exact same schooling that Wes got in the off-season. Watch Hump's swings over the last couple of games and Wes' from last year. Hump needs to close up the stance and look the other way. He's too open now, and when he dives in, that added motion is skewing his vision on curveballs, causing his shoulder to fly open in reaction to that...and causing him to miss outside curveballs as bad as he did last night.

Wes figured it out. Hopefully Hump will. You close up, you might lose a smidge of power to left, but your plate coverage greatly improves, and you cut down on bookoos of wasted motion.