PDA

View Full Version : RS Fr OL Eglton Jenkins....and the OL projection

Westdawg
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
i have talked with some guys in the know in the delta (clarksdale area) and they have said that EJ has been absolutely blowing up - in a great way - since arriving on campus. There is talk that he will more than likely crack the 2-deep this year. Talk about a kid that came from out of nowhere with his recruitment and very few positives, and now this.

I know a lot of ppl have really down-played our chances this year, specifically about what happens if Martinas Rankin cannot come in and win the starting spot outright. Truth is, there are a few guys that have a big say in who gets it. Guys like Cole Carter, who really did well in garbage time last season, or even Jocquell Johnson, who ended RS i believe when he got here from juco.

OT
Justin Senior
Cole Carter
Rufus Warren
Martinas Rankin* ( 2015 juco signee, already on campus)
Micheal Story * ( 2015 signee, already on campus)
Harrison Moon* (2015 signee) (may start work at the interior)
Damien Robinson ( yeah, may be coming back, but can't hurt to have decent depth)

OG
Devon Desper
Justin Malone
Deion Calhoun (possibly see time at C rotation)
Jocquell Johnson ( possibly be in the mix at OT this fall)
Elgton Jenkins
Jake Thomas
Ronald Cochran

C
Jamaal Clayborn
Kent Flowers ( rotating between C and OG)
Darryl Williams* (2015 signee)

With the exceptions of Cole Carter, who had tremendous potential but played at a very small school and little competition, Ronald Cochran, who was a last minute, under-the-radar signing, Micheal Story getting to campus before his recruitment was about to BLOW UP, and finally Elgton Jenkins who was also an unknown commodity but has blown up since arriving on campus, every one of these players were 3* or higher players.
That's 17 - SEVENTEEN - players who are actually decent talent to build a line around. let's for argument sake, take out the FROSH, there's still 10+ guys to work with. To say that we are hurting at OL is not true. Untested/unproven, yes. but definitely good ability, smarts, and talent to make a great line with.

engie
03-11-2015, 03:01 PM
I LOL every time someone concern trolls with these impending OL issues under Hevesy that haven't manifested themselves in 4+ seasons -- and only did initially because of Croom neglecting the position for multiple recruiting classes + a rash of injuries. Fact is -- we would have been fine in 2011 if Tobias Smith, Carmon, and Saulsberry stay healthy through Auburn and don't get Relf's ribs cracked against LSU...

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Opening Day 2 Deep IMO

LT - Rankin/Jenkins
LG - Malone/Flowers
C- Clayborn/Calhoun
RG - Desper/Thomas
RT - Senior/Warren

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure what recruiting service you are referencing when you say that all of those guys besides Jenkins were 3 stars or higher, but I'm pretty sure a few more like Cochran were 2 star guys. But that said, the majority of those players were 3 star guys.

I think that illustrates the inaccuracies of the star system when rating o-linemen.

The Hevesey can't recruit meme is silly and unfounded. He might be the best o-line coach we have had since Rick Trickett under Jackie.

smootness
03-11-2015, 03:11 PM
That's a really solid 2-deep, and it sets up to be good for several years.

smootness
03-11-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure what recruiting service you are referencing when you say that all of those guys besides Jenkins were 3 stars or higher, but I'm pretty sure a few more like Cochran were 2 star guys. But that said, the majority of those players were 3 star guys.

He said Carter, Story, Cochran, and Jenkins were below 3-stars.

mcain31
03-11-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm not worried about our OL. I've heard that we may run more counters and traps due to athleticism on the OL.

smootness
03-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm not worried about our OL. I've heard that we may run more counters and traps due to athleticism on the OL.

I'm all for this. I miss the Dixon counters. Those things were magic in Mullen's first year.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm all for this. I miss the Dixon counters. Those things were magic in Mullen's first year.

I noticed in the Texas A&M game that Desper started, it seemed like we had him pulling a lot- a lot more than we did with Beckwith. It makes me wonder if we may start to see more of that next year.

I think we have the potential to have more variety with our weapons on offense than we did last year. I hope that comes to fruition at least. We've never really had a Percy Harvin position type of guy like Dear has the potential to be, we haven't had a good H-back/FB guy since Hanrahan and I hope than Rashun Dixon can maybe fill that role, plus our best slot guy missed most of the year- but Gray, Deddrick Thomas, and Myles give us good depth there.

Realistically, I don't expect it to happen like I'm envisioning though.

MabenMaroon
03-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Our coaching staff ( and others as well ) knew about Elgton back when he was jr. and knew about his physical potential. The big question concerning Elgton was his academic elgibility and until the end of the fall semester of his sr. year it didn't look like he would qualify. He surprised folks by becoming eligible pretty much at the last minute. He was wanting to go to school with his buddy JT Gray all along and when the Tee Shephard situation went south it all fell into place. From what I have been hearing, he has been excelling both on and off the field, and you are right, he will probably be a big part of the 2-deep equation. The same sources are saying that if progress continues the way it has been, he could very well be in the starting equation by season's end. I guess he is what you would call a true sleeper or diamond in the rough type of find. Am also hearing some very good things about Calhoun as well.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Opening Day 2 Deep IMO

LT - Rankin/Jenkins
LG - Malone/Flowers
C- Clayborn/Calhoun
RG - Desper/Thomas
RT - Senior/Warren

This seems to be the consistent thinking of how it will shake out

Johnson85
03-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I feel like we have four pretty proven starters.

Justin Malone
Justin Senior
Devon Desper
Jamaal Clayborn

Then we have another group where we feel pretty certain the offense won't implode if they play.

Martinas Rankin
Cole Carter
Rufus Warren
Damien Robinson
Jake Thomas
Jocquell Johnson
Kent Flowers

We really just need two of the second group to belong in the first group and we will be in pretty good shape against all but the two or three best defenses in the SEC.

Johnson85
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
This seems to be the consistent thinking of how it will shake out

So has Carter just plateaued or regressed? Or was all that talk about him passing Senior for a little while just put out there by the coaches to motivate Senior?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2015, 05:39 PM
So has Carter just plateaued or regressed? Or was all that talk about him passing Senior for a little while just put out there by the coaches to motivate Senior?

When was this? Senior was put at RT to compete for a starting job last year against Robinson & Warren. Carter wasn't in that competition.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 05:40 PM

No, Carter is progressing- but Rankin is a 4-star talent and Jenkins is a natural. Every player earns it at State under this coaching staff- and Carter will have his chance to get it done this Spring. Its up to him to change the thinking heading into August

Ifyouonlyknew
03-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Carter needs to show some things this spring or he's going to be buried & may have to search for P/T elsewhere. Ball is in his court this spring.

GTHOM
03-11-2015, 06:13 PM
I feel like we have four pretty proven starters.

Justin Malone
Justin Senior
Devon Desper
Jamaal Clayborn

Then we have another group where we feel pretty certain the offense won't implode if they play.

Martinas Rankin
Cole Carter
Rufus Warren
Damien Robinson
Jake Thomas
Jocquell Johnson
Kent Flowers

We really just need two of the second group to belong in the first group and we will be in pretty good shape against all but the two or three best defenses in the SEC.

the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front, and our coaches need to be good enough to not to the same thing over and over again like they did

Coach34
03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front

We did in both 2nd halves when we decided to stop running so much sideways BS

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 08:41 PM
the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front, and our coaches need to be good enough to not to the same thing over and over again like they did

I'd be willing to bet that the top 2 or 3 defenses in the SEC derailed a lot of people. I can't think of a game where I could say that the offense was completely shut down- maybe the first half against Alabama?

Our defense- which also wasn't bad- hurt us more in our losses IMO. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and the 1A/1B stuff more than anything though.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 08:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the top 2 or 3 defenses in the SEC derailed a lot of people. I can't think of a game where I could say that the offense was completely shut down- maybe the first half against Alabama?

Our defense- which also wasn't bad- hurt us more in our losses IMO. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and the 1A/1B stuff more than anything though.

Our defense lost the game vs Ole Missus...over 500 yards- enough said

We were down 6 points to Bammer on the road in the 4th Q- and we let their offense pick up 4 3rd downs as they drove the ball 75 yards to put the game away- thats on the D. Especially picking up a 3rd and 8 and a 3rd and 10. Thats not on the offense. We got a stop there and we have a chance to win the game

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 09:05 PM

We were down 6 points to Bammer on the road in the 4th Q- and we let their offense pick up 4 3rd downs as they drove the ball 75 yards to put the game away- thats on the D. Especially picking up a 3rd and 8 and a 3rd and 10. Thats not on the offense. We got a stop there and we have a chance to win the game

Not to mention not being able to stop the fullback up the middle against Georgia Tech.

chef dixon
03-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Defense definitely lost the game to Ole Miss, but the offense was so predictable by the time that game came around. Defense did NOT lose us the Bama game. That drive doesn't make up for the 3 turnovers in Bama territory and predictability we were starting to show on offense. Game should have been a blowout in Bama's favor with our offensive performance.

Coach34
03-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Defense definitely lost the game to Ole Miss, but the offense was so predictable by the time that game came around. Defense did NOT lose us the Bama game. That drive doesn't make up for the 3 turnovers in Bama territory and predictability we were starting to show on offense. Game should have been a blowout in Bama's favor with our offensive performance.

Meh- was a combo job with Bama. While the turnovers certainly hurt- we needed a 4th Q stop to win the game and didnt get it. And it not like the D was tired- our O had held the ball most of the 2nd half. Bama's O won the ballgame for them when they had to- we had stolen all the momentum. Especially with Bama getting the ball and immediately being 3rd and 8 or 9 to start the drive.

chef dixon
03-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Meh- was a combo job with Bama. While the turnovers certainly hurt- we needed a 4th Q stop to win the game and didnt get it. And it not like the D was tired- our O had held the ball most of the 2nd half. Bama's O won the ballgame for them when they had to- we had stolen all the momentum. Especially with Bama getting the ball and immediately being 3rd and 8 or 9 to start the drive.

I'll buy it. Both sides of the ball deteriorated a little near the end of the season. Dak missing the TE for the touchdown I think was the 2nd quarter, just deflating.

Todd4State
03-11-2015, 10:04 PM

That's where not having Jameon most of the year, (yes, I am aware he played in the Egg Bowl) hurt us. And why I hope we use guys like Dear, Rashun Dixon, and maybe Dontae Jones in an effort to give us more variety in what we do. I didn't mention Gray because I am fairly certain that he will give us the slot position back- which we essentially lost when Lewis went down other than a few screens to Myles.

chef dixon
03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
That's where not having Jameon most of the year, (yes, I am aware he played in the Egg Bowl) hurt us. And why I hope we use guys like Dear, Rashun Dixon, and maybe Dontae Jones in an effort to give us more variety in what we do. I didn't mention Gray because I am fairly certain that he will give us the slot position back- which we essentially lost when Lewis went down other than a few screens to Myles.

Lewis hurt us in that Bama game with a couple drops. He had a tough season with his family issues, injuries and all. We were getting painfully predictable on Dak runs and were just getting stuffed over and over again.

Westdawg
03-12-2015, 09:35 AM

I think that illustrates the inaccuracies of the star system when rating o-linemen.

The Hevesey can't recruit meme is silly and unfounded. He might be the best o-line coach we have had since Rick Trickett under Jackie.

I noted Cochran, Carter, Jenkins, and Story. I ️ppl say Heavesy "can't recruit" because we rarely ever land lots of 4-5* talent. But actually there are a few 4* in that mix. Most are 3* guys. I think this unit is going to be nasty good the next few years.

Johnson85
03-12-2015, 11:15 AM
When was this? Senior was put at RT to compete for a starting job last year against Robinson & Warren. Carter wasn't in that competition.

I think at one point they put out a spring depth chart that had Carter listed ahead of Senior as Clausell's backup. Heard a couple of comments that he was passing Senior because he was having a really good off season and senior wasn't, but not from anybody that would necessarily have any insight. Maybe what really happened is that Senior was moved to RT and he didn't show up there on the depth chart because they put him behind all the people already there, like Robinson.

War Machine Dawg
03-12-2015, 02:52 PM

We also threw 2 INTs in the redzone and one of the two in the endzone. That lost the game as much or more than the D, considering we were basically guaranteed at least 6 points if we take care of the ball. We lost by 5. You do the math. BOTH sides of the ball have to be better and so do the coaches. Jay Hughes in man on Amari Cooper on the goal line is one of the biggest **** up decisions in the history of **** up decisions.

Political Hack
03-12-2015, 02:57 PM
We also threw 2 INTs in the redzone and one of the two in the endzone. That lost the game as much or more than the D, considering we were basically guaranteed at least 6 points if we take care of the ball. We lost by 5. You do the math. BOTH sides of the ball have to be better and so do the coaches. Jay Hughes in man on Amari Cooper on the goal line is one of the biggest **** up decisions in the history of **** up decisions.

uh-gree

GTHOM
03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Our coaching staff let us down after the Auburn game more than any players did. Bama game we looked shell shocked, Ole Miss we were the better team and looked flat, totally not interested. That falls on coaching. I do agree though that the defense lost that game

Really Clark?
03-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Our coaching staff let us down after the Auburn game more than any players did. Bama game we looked shell shocked, Ole Miss we were the better team and looked flat, totally not interested. That falls on coaching. I do agree though that the defense lost that game

I'm sorry I have to really disagree with the idea of a shell shocked or flat team is automatically on the coaching. There is not a human alive or dead that can motivate players to be up to their potential for every game. Momentum and execution (which is mostly on players) breeds playing at a high level. But there are just times when no matter what you do the team is going to be flat or play off. That goes for the pros as well. There is plenty of other areas you can look at as for as coaching but a flat team is a complicated issue that may have a lot or nothing to do with the coaching. If the Bama game didn't get too big for Dak (turnovers in redzone), then that game could have been much different. And I agree the second half, besides the one defensive series, we looked like a much different team.

maroonmania
03-12-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry I have to really disagree with the idea of a shell shocked or flat team is automatically on the coaching. There is not a human alive or dead that can motivate players to be up to their potential for every game. Momentum and execution (which is mostly on players) breeds playing at a high level. But there are just times when no matter what you do the team is going to be flat or play off. That goes for the pros as well. There is plenty of other areas you can look at as for as coaching but a flat team is a complicated issue that may have a lot or nothing to do with the coaching. If the Bama game didn't get too big for Dak (turnovers in redzone), then that game could have been much different. And I agree the second half, besides the one defensive series, we looked like a much different team.

Apparently we used up all our emotion last year in demolishing Vandy 51-0. Nothing left at that point for OM I guess because no doubt we didn't come out with the emotional edge we needed (same as in 2012 up there).

Really Clark?
03-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Apparently we used up all our emotion last year in demolishing Vandy 51-0. Nothing left at that point for OM I guess because no doubt we didn't come out with the emotional edge we needed (same as in 2012 up there).

I actually thought we lost some edge after the Auburn game. I'm not sure that the buy week didn't do more harm than good.

Johnson85
03-13-2015, 07:56 AM
I actually thought we lost some edge after the Auburn game. I'm not sure that the buy week didn't do more harm than good.

Yup, a sell week would have been much better.

NCDawg
03-13-2015, 10:07 AM

That's a good one. I'll admit having Jay Hughes on Amari Cooper on the goal line was a bad decision, but not sure it was worse than putting Broomfield on Alshon Jeffery. Both were terrible coaching decisions.

Really Clark?
03-13-2015, 10:13 AM

Lol. Good one. Stupid typo's.

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2015, 10:35 AM
That's a good one. I'll admit having Jay Hughes on Amari Cooper on the goal line was a bad decision, but not sure it was worse than putting Broomfield on Alshon Jeffery. Both were terrible coaching decisions.

No, Broomfield on Jeffery was a busted assignment. Banks was supposed to be on Jeffery but somehow didn't get the instruction. Broomfield saw what was happening and tried to cover Jeffery instead of leaving him wide ass open. One is a mental error by the players. Sucks, but it happens. The other is an intentional decision by the coaches that's entirely inexcusable.

MabenMaroon
03-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Illegal procedure when in the goal to goal situation was mighty huge at the time, a major momentum killer, as well as costing us 4 points.