PDA

View Full Version : W Kentucky win chill thread!!!

MsStateBaseball
03-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I never said we are perfect, get a lead keep it win. Still early in the season, still have guys missing. You have to admit these teams we played aren't that bad huh? Great for us!

Paul Young and Cole Gordon need to pitch period.

John Holland had two damn good at bats, maybe that will get him going.

So how many strikeouts looking did we have?? Cohen chewed some ass for that.

We learn, we get better. Chill, long as we win huh?

Smitty
03-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Cohen needs his own ass chewed. He's got to realize that he's not a player and stop trying to win the game himself.

engie
03-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Yeah -- I didn't listen to the postgame -- but Cohen needs to take some credit for that one... And Butch too really. The players came thru in spite of everything -- and I felt the momentum shift back in gear for us when that one ended. Good stuff for many of our bigtime guys. Holland boutta go en fuego IMO -- Humphreys too if he isn't hurt. Hump has been close for awhile now...

I may be wrong -- but I think we absolutely go off tomorrow. I think Cohen will reflect -- feel the momentum -- and get the hell out of the way and let it happen.

This overmanagement stuff worked pretty well when we were less talented and playing catch up. Now we're pretty close to as talented as anyone out there and he's just got to get out of the way...

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Cohen needs his own ass chewed. He's got to realize that he's not a player and stop trying to win the game himself.

You need to stfu and go away. You're a ****ing amateur.

DawgPoundtheRock
03-10-2015, 08:30 PM

Amen, said the choir

Smitty
03-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Most agree with my statement

Smitty
03-10-2015, 08:41 PM
In my opinion the overmanagement "worked" because we had one of the best bullpens in the nation to bail Cohen out. Playing for one most of the game "works" when we throw up zeros in most innings 5-9. We aren't close to that right now. The dumb in-game was always misguided but masked due to the bullpen. The "we're winning so shut up" crowd's chickens are coming home to roost. We could have won more in the past, we could win more now. This WILL NOT fly in SEC play.

Ive said our 3-2 wins are now 5-3 losses. We've seen this in the past week. We HAVE TO get ours early and build as big of a cushion as possible (should always do this, but especially now) because our pen isn't close.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Our slugging numbers need to go up...but we are a top 5 team as far as OBP and runs scored so far. I think the offense will eventually be pretty potent.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Yeah -- I didn't listen to the postgame -- but Cohen needs to take some credit for that one... And Butch too really. The players came thru in spite of everything -- and I felt the momentum shift back in gear for us when that one ended. Good stuff for many of our bigtime guys. Holland boutta go en fuego IMO -- Humphreys too if he isn't hurt. Hump has been close for awhile now...

I may be wrong -- but I think we absolutely go off tomorrow. I think Cohen will reflect -- feel the momentum -- and get the hell out of the way and let it happen.

This overmanagement stuff worked pretty well when we were less talented and playing catch up. Now we're pretty close to as talented as anyone out there and he's just got to get out of the way...

We're scoring 6 and 4 runs (minus the bottom of the ninth and extra innings) and then we scored when we absolutely had to. The offense and the offensive strategy is not the problem. The problem the past two games has been the bullpen not stepping up and protecting leads. Even in that, it's good to see Mintz and Fitts step up and do their job.

We have talent, but we have to figure out where the pieces fit.

Now no- it wasn't a clean game by any stretch of the imagination but there are definitely some things to build on.

Saltydog
03-10-2015, 08:46 PM
He puts a lot of pressure on these guys. I remember during the NCAA and CWS run in 2013 his team was loose as a goose and they performed extremely well. I never got the feeling that last years team was loose. They played uptight all year long and it showed.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 08:47 PM
In my opinion the overmanagement "worked" because we had one of the best bullpens in the nation to bail Cohen out. Playing for one most of the game "works" when we throw up zeros in most innings 5-9. We aren't close to that right now. The dumb in-game was always misguided but masked due to the bullpen. The "we're winning so shut up" crowd's chickens are coming home to roost. We could have won more in the past, we could win more now. This WILL NOT fly in SEC play.

Ive said our 3-2 wins are now 5-3 losses. We've seen this in the past week. We HAVE TO get ours early and build as big of a cushion as possible (should always do this, but especially now) because our pen isn't close.

So, the only reason we have been winning is because of our bullpen? LOL. If our offense was that bad there is no way in hell we would have won as many games as we have in the past. Basically you're saying that we have been a fluke for four going on five years in a row- and that by definition is not a fluke.

godlluB
03-10-2015, 08:48 PM

Former MLB pitche Jason Grimsley spent most of the weekend in our trailer (his son plays for San Diego). I know he's got a checkered past, but he pitched professionally for 22 years, and has two World Series rings, and I'd wager he knows more about baseball than anyone here. By mid-game on Sunday he had the same criticism about Cohen. He said specifically that Cohen needed to realize that he wasn't playing, that it wasn't about him, and that he needed to quit micro managing the game and let the players play.

I'm not necessarily defending Smitty, but he has at least one professional who agrees with him.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
We're scoring 6 and 4 runs (minus the bottom of the ninth and extra innings) and then we scored when we absolutely had to. The offense and the offensive strategy is not the problem.

2 vs Pine Bluff
1 vs Whale's ******

The offensive strategy is costing us runs. It is a problem. The pen is also a problem.

I wish McCord would get his shit right; he should be dominant one time thru the order

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Most agree with my statement

This is a comment directed straight at you. Nothing to do with your statement.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
He puts a lot of pressure on these guys. I remember during the NCAA and CWS run in 2013 his team was loose as a goose and they performed extremely well. I never got the feeling that last years team was loose. They played uptight all year long and it showed.

No one wants to win a NC at MSU worse than Cohen. I think he may have overdid it with the intensity his first two years and that's why we had the seasons we did.

He does expect and ask a lot out of our players. But I'll tell you what- when our guys get to pro ball, it's not going to be an easier from an expectation standpoint. The difference is in the pros they don't have to keep you on scholarship.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
2 vs Pine Bluff
1 vs Whale's ******

The offensive strategy is costing us runs. It is a problem. The pen is also a problem.

I wish McCord would get his shit right; he should be dominant one time thru the order

I wish you would leave. But I can wish in one hand and shit in the other and sees which one fills up first.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
I wish you would leave. But I can wish in one hand and shit in the other and sees which one fills up first.

You disagree with my post? Why? Where am I wrong or don't "know the game"?Thats how debate works.

Also - address Jason Grimsley please.

MsStateBaseball
03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
What a problem has been is not scoring runs late, expanding the lead. Must score w one out and man on third.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 08:57 PM
2 vs Pine Bluff
1 vs Whale's ******

So, someone's ace shut us down. That's happened a lot to Billy Beane through the years too. Despite all the data in the world. That happens to everyone- even the 1927 Yankees probably got shut down a few times.

And as far as McCord, you shouldn't expect a freshman to be dominant as a freshman. Go up to New Hope and watch them play a game and then go watch MSU. You will notice the difference in play immediately. It's a huge jump and if a freshman is dominant- or even decent as a freshman count it as a blessing. Add on top of that playing for a rabid baseball fan base- there's a lot of pressure there too and it's a huge adjustment. He'll be good but he needs to learn this year more than anything.

engie
03-10-2015, 08:58 PM

He won here a year before the pitching got going... And won at UK without what I remember as great pitching...

He has had a couple off games managing lately for sure. Any manager that is under the type of microscope he is is only going to get mentioned when things backfire. Never when they go right and you take us deeper than anyone ever has.

We are leaving runs all over the place. For sure. And he's taking us out of big innings by bunting guys over from the very start of the game with no outs. We have bigger innings when we start with 1 out and the bunting is off the table.

I just want to have a discussion with him about it and get the thoughts. There has to be a method to the madness. I wish he'd spell it out -- at least in private -- because it doesn't make sense to me either.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 08:59 PM
What a problem has been is not scoring runs late, expanding the lead. Must score w one out and man on third.

True. We need to have a killer instinct.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 08:59 PM
You disagree with my post? Why? Where am I wrong or don't "know the game"?Thats how debate works.

I also agree he over manages. I've never said I disagree with every one of your points. I don't disagree with Grimsley.

You never ****ing debate anything. Al, you do is bitch when something doesn't work and how your are smarter than anyone that disagrees with it. Like I said before...you and Will James must have played on the same team...

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:00 PM
So, someone's ace shut us down. That's happened a lot to Billy Beane through the years too.

Billy Beane never lost to the SWAC.

We lessen our chances of winning with our in-game offensive strategy. Like today. The margin of error is much smaller this year without a nasty bullpen, as we have seen. We have to get all we can get, but for some reason we settle for less runs.

engie
03-10-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't have much reason to doubt that this will eventually be a nasty bullpen because of a few early struggles. We'll just start doing the piggybacking stuff again with our starters -- essentially turning them into long relievers.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:04 PM

This goes back to everything is black and white with you. And baseball is anything but that. You're ****ing obtuse and really don't know shit about the way the game is really played. You would have to have played to understand the nuances and that sometimes, even though it goes against your ****ing bunt matrix, depending on the situation and offensive and defensive personnel and given situation that it's ok to bunt. And hit and run. And to swing away. And to take a,pitch. And to steal. And any other damn situation that calls for a calculated gamble. It's a game. Not a ****ing computer program you can just punch your calculator and make the right call. You're terrible.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:05 PM
He won here a year before the pitching got going... And won at UK without what I remember as great pitching...

He has had a couple off games managing lately for sure. Any manager that is under the type of microscope he is is only going to get mentioned when things backfire. Never when they go right and you take us deeper than anyone ever has.

We are leaving runs all over the place. For sure. And he's taking us out of big innings by bunting guys over from the very start of the game with no outs. We have bigger innings when we start with 1 out and the bunting is off the table.

I just want to have a discussion with him about it and get the thoughts. There has to be a method to the madness. I wish he'd spell it out -- at least in private -- because it doesn't make sense to me either.

Agreed this has frustrated me for years is he has NEVER addressed it and reporters NEVER ask or question him about it. I think many ill-educated people actually don't see a problem. Announcers/reporters LOVE bunting and salivate every time its done. Reporters are probably not very baseball knowledgeable about expected run tables and shit like that.

Is there any way to get him on topic about this? I highly doubt there is a method, it's like Grimsley and I observe he wants HIMSELF to be 'the reason' for the win. The micro-managing is ego, pure and simple. This is what makes Butch great, he's the complete opposite.

Butch lets the pitchers figure out for themselves what they need to be successful. Hell our catchers/pitchers do all the pitch calling themselves.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:05 PM

No one mentions things when they go right- like Spruill's bunt single after Humphreys home run which then in turn sparked two more runs- both of which turned out to be very critical. At the same time I understand people questioning why Cody Brown bunted in the first inning.

And then there are some things that appear to be player screw ups like Lovelady stealing- I certainly don't know for sure, but I would suspect that Lovelady missed another sign on that one more than likely and either thought it was a hit and run or a straight steal. Still goes back on the coach because he has to make sure everyone knows the signs.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:07 PM
This goes back to everything is black and white with you. And baseball is anything but that. You're ****ing obtuse and really don't know shit about the way the game is really played. You would have to have played to understand the nuances and that sometimes, even though it goes against your ****ing bunt matrix, depending on the situation and offensive and defensive personnel and given situation that it's ok to bunt. And hit and run. And to swing away. And to take a,pitch. And to steal. And any other damn situation that calls for a calculated gamble. It's a game. Not a ****ing computer program you can just punch your calculator and make the right call. You're terrible.

Strawman Much

http://www.sundriesshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Strawman.jpg

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:08 PM
No one mentions things when they go right- like Spruill's bunt single

5 years in, still bringing up drag/push bunts. Why, I don't know.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Billy Beane never lost to the SWAC.

We lessen our chances of winning with our in-game offensive strategy. Like today. The margin of error is much smaller this year without a nasty bullpen, as we have seen. We have to get all we can get, but for some reason we settle for less runs.

There's not a SWAC equivalent team in MLB. I have seen AAA teams beat MLB teams at times though. In other words- shit happens sometimes.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Strawman Much

http://www.sundriesshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Strawman.jpg

Always some stupid shit like this is all you got. You know you've painted yourself in a corner because you've reached your limited baseball knowledge end. Ya got nothing left.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:12 PM

5 years in its the same limited baseball knowledge from you.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Agreed this has frustrated me for years is he has NEVER addressed it and reporters NEVER ask or question him about it. I think many ill-educated people actually don't see a problem. Announcers/reporters LOVE bunting and salivate every time its done. Reporters are probably not very baseball knowledgeable about expected run tables and shit like that.

Is there any way to get him on topic about this? I highly doubt there is a method, it's like Grimsley and I observe he wants HIMSELF to be 'the reason' for the win. The micro-managing is ego, pure and simple. This is what makes Butch great, he's the complete opposite.

Butch lets the pitchers figure out for themselves what they need to be successful. Hell our catchers/pitchers do all the pitch calling themselves.

You think Butch "letting them figure it out" is helping our bullpen right now? Helping Laster have mental ****ing breakdowns after a home run? Let's debate that if you want to go. And go ahead and skip your stupid ass ranting about how Brown should have pitched Sunday after his 31 pitch Saturday.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:15 PM
5 years in its the same limited baseball knowledge from you.

Thats all you got. No specifics. Same strawman from you

MsStateBaseball
03-10-2015, 09:16 PM
If I am fast and or bat left and not a power hitter, bunting is a part of the game. Hitting it to the 2b for an out gets old, bunt and make them make a play.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:17 PM

No, the difference is most reporters are objective and can see both sides. Which is something you aren't capable of doing. I don't know one reporter out there that advocates bunting. I've certainly seen some question it from time to time.

Again, even Bill James says that there are times to bunt, but you're stuck in 2002.

But the way you are is how old sabermetric people used to be- come up with absolutes like "every reporter LOVES bunting" or "every manager does this or that" and then call them stupid while trying to proclaim that certain data is applicable in EVERY situation. And then try to cut down anyone that has a viewpoint that might say that there are times the data may not be applicable.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:17 PM
You think Butch "letting them figure it out" is helping our bullpen right now? Helping Laster have mental ****ing breakdowns after a home run? Let's debate that if you want to go. And go ahead and skip your stupid ass ranting about how Brown should have pitched Sunday after his 31 pitch Saturday.

What would you have him do, scream "Where are your nutzzzzz!!1!!" at them?

Butch's pitching track record speaks for itself, as does Cohen/Mingione's offensive track record.

Butch isn't hands off, good grief, but he's not acting like its HIM on the damn mound out there like Cohen thinks he's playing the damn game.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Again, even Bill James says that there are times to bunt, but you're stuck in 2002.

STRAWWWWWWWW MANNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Tbonewannabe
03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
No one mentions things when they go right- like Spruill's bunt single after Humphreys home run which then in turn sparked two more runs- both of which turned out to be very critical. At the same time I understand people questioning why Cody Brown bunted in the first inning.

And then there are some things that appear to be player screw ups like Lovelady stealing- I certainly don't know for sure, but I would suspect that Lovelady missed another sign on that one more than likely and either thought it was a hit and run or a straight steal. Still goes back on the coach because he has to make sure everyone knows the signs.

Some of these bunts make my brain want to explode. Bunting in the 1st inning with our hottest hitter or bunting in the 8th inning when you are down 2 runs. It is like he is trying stuff that nobody does but there is a reason no one does it.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
What would you have him do, scream "Where are your nutzzzzz!!1!!" at them?

Butch's pitching track record speaks for itself, as does Cohen/Mingione's offensive track record.

Butch isn't hands off, good grief, but he's not acting like its HIM on the damn mound out there like Cohen thinks he's playing the damn game.

So he lets them figure it out and by God the pitchers and catchers call their own game but he's not hands off? Which is it? This isn't about Cohen.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Lol I love it when you do that.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Because it's working. That's yet ANOTHER tangible example of us creating runs to win a game. Which I'm sure you will call a "random example".

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Strawman? What you post about literally EVERY DAY is from 2002. Read modern baseball articles.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:24 PM
So he lets them figure it out and by God the pitchers and catchers call their own game but he's not hands off? Which is it? This isn't about Cohen.

State offers a pretty decent Intro to Logic course.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Lol I love it when you do that.

It's his comeback for everything. He probably yelled Strawman on the playground in elementary school when kids were making fun of him.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Because it's working. That's yet ANOTHER tangible example of us creating runs to win a game. Which I'm sure you will call a "random example".

I can go back to the Old 6 Pack archives from 2011 stating the same thing Im stating again here and have been for 5 seasons… There's nothing wrong with dropping a bunt for a hit. Thats not the sphere of this discussion.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
State offers a pretty decent Intro to Logic course.

So, you made a "D-"?

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Funny how nobody is addressing Engie or anyone else..

Todd is in the minority here defending the bunting and I Seen It is just all over the place, but in the minority as well.

maroonmania
03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
We're scoring 6 and 4 runs (minus the bottom of the ninth and extra innings) and then we scored when we absolutely had to. The offense and the offensive strategy is not the problem. The problem the past two games has been the bullpen not stepping up and protecting leads. Even in that, it's good to see Mintz and Fitts step up and do their job.

We have talent, but we have to figure out where the pieces fit.

Now no- it wasn't a clean game by any stretch of the imagination but there are definitely some things to build on.

Yep, but in baseball, and college baseball especially, its as much about expanding leads as protecting leads. You aren't going to have a Lindgren and Holder every year to slam everything shut at the end to win when you don't score in innings 6-9. And we haven't been scoring anything in those innings lately to speak of.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I can go back to the Old 6 Pack archives from 2011 stating the same thing Im stating again here and have been for 5 seasons… There's nothing wrong with dropping a bunt for a hit. Thats not the sphere of this discussion.

And since 2011 I can go back in the archives and document every time that we've bunted for a hit that you've said we still shouldn't have done it or how it won't work in SEC play- this despite the fact that Vanderbilt has dominated the SEC by playing small ball. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

It's tried and old- and no one wants to read about it anymore.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:32 PM

Todd is in the minority here defending the bunting and I Seen It is just all over the place, but in the minority as well.

I addressed engie. Scroll up if you don't believe me.

preachermatt83
03-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Can you remind me again why it is we can't get along on here? Bc I agree with just about every single word of this post.

engie
03-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Spruill's bunt was the absolute perfect time to do it. Moon shot -- team on their heels -- and you lay one down and have it start to come apart for them in that inning.

Cody Brown's was not. In a game where he grabbed us yet another extra base hit -- and you have the opportunity to effectively end the game in the first inning if he hits a double with Rea and Humphreys coming up. So what if he K's? So what if he hits into a DP? It's the first inning -- give us a shot for the big inning and quit playing for one run there. It should be clear at this point that we don't have the reliability in the back half of games yet...

This team is too talented with too many guys that can hit doubles to be taking the bat out of some of their hands like we are -- simply because they "can" get a bunt down.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Yep, but in baseball, and college baseball especially, its as much about expanding leads as protecting leads. You aren't going to have a Lindgren and Holder every year to slam everything shut at the end to win when you don't score in innings 6-9. And we haven't been scoring anything in those innings lately to speak of.

I get what people are saying about expanding leads- but at the end of the day, blowing 4-6 runs leads shouldn't happen. If you score 6 runs in the first inning and you don't score again, you should still win that game well over 90% of the time.

It's silly to blame the offense for the bullpen not holding a big lead. Pitchers statistically have an advantage over hitters.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Spruill's bunt was the absolute perfect time to do it. Moon shot -- team on their heels -- and you lay one down and have it start to come apart for them in that inning.

Cody Brown's was not. In a game where he grabbed us yet another extra base hit -- and you have the opportunity to effectively end the game in the first inning if he hits a double with Rea and Humphreys coming up. So what if he K's? So what if he hits into a DP? It's the first inning -- give us a shot for the big inning and quit playing for one run there. It should be clear at this point that we don't have the reliability in the back half of games yet...

This team is too talented with too many guys that can hit doubles to be taking the bat out of some of their hands like we are -- simply because they "can" get a bunt down.

If Cody bunts there, he better beat it out.

The offense will be fine- especially once we get Collins up to speed. Which will lead to more extra base hits.

What we really SHOULD be talking about is how to fix the bullpen. It's a hell of a lot easier to get 12 outs at the end of a game than it is for any offense to score 6-10 runs every single game. At least it should be.

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Im not all over the place, I'm all over your ass because of you're obtuse view of the great game of baseball. You just can't keep up. It's insulting. You won't change though unfortunately so carry on with the same ramblings you always do. Like you say 5 years!!!

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:42 PM

The offense will be fine- especially once we get Collins up to speed. Which will lead to more extra base hits.

What we really SHOULD be talking about is how to fix the bullpen. It's a hell of a lot easier to get 12 outs at the end of a game than it is for any offense to score 6-10 runs every single game. At least it should be.

Yeah but Butch let's them just figure it out. Or is he not really hands off? I can't remember which...

I seen it dawg
03-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Why address Engie when you are such an easy target. Engie actually can debate LOGICALLY.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 09:49 PM

Do you watch? Cody was asked to SACRIFICE!

IF Cody bunts? Better beat it out? Is this what we are debating against?

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Do you watch? Cody was asked to SACRIFICE!

IF Cody bunts? Better beat it out? Is this what we are debating against?

Actually, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying that IF we bunt there it better be bunting for a hit. I'm not debating whether that was a sacrifice or not- it was a sacrifice.

If you bunt Cody and he gets it into a "hot zone" for bunting for a hit, then we have two runners on base based on the odds and statistical research. And if you get runners on first and second with no one out, that's a better situation than a runner on first with no outs or a runner on second with one out. And then you have two fast runners on base and then there is the possibility of a double steal.

If you are a team that bunts, be really good at it so that you can get hits out of it.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Actually, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying that IF we bunt there it better be bunting for a hit. I'm not debating whether that was a sacrifice or not- it was a sacrifice.

If you bunt Cody and he gets it into a "hot zone" for bunting for a hit, then we have two runners on base based on the odds and statistical research. And if you get runners on first and second with no one out, that's a better situation than a runner on first with no outs or a runner on second with one out. And then you have two fast runners on base and then there is the possibility of a double steal.

If you are a team that bunts, be really good at it so that you can get hits out of it.

Or Cody could walk, HBP, draw a wild pitch, hit for extra bases SCORING Heck and being the winning run on 2nd, hit a bomb and WIN the game, etc etc etc.

Cody trying to bunt for a hit, leading at best to men on 1st and 2nd
Cody trying to hit, leading to all kind of great possibilities of winning the game
Cody getting out on purpose, with a decent chance of ****ing up and accomplishing nothing

I like option B

Double steal??? Good grief man get the winning run thrown out on the bases? No no no

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Or Cody could walk, HBP, draw a wild pitch, hit for extra bases SCORING Heck and being the winning run on 2nd, hit a bomb and WIN the game, etc etc etc.

Cody trying to bunt for a hit, leading at best to men on 1st and 2nd
Cody trying to hit, leading to all kind of great possibilities of winning the game
Cody getting out on purpose, with a decent chance of ****ing up and accomplishing nothing

I like option B

Double steal??? Good grief man get the winning run thrown out on the bases? No no no

Why do you assume he would be thrown out on a double steal? Because there is "risk" involved? Option B only has about a 38% chance of working. Bunting into a hot zone statistically actually has a better chance of getting a hit than his straight up hitting- over 40%.

If you have players that can run, you should take advantage of it. Second and third and no one out is an even better situation.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Why do you assume he would be thrown out on a double steal? Because there is "risk" involved? Option B only has about a 38% chance of working. Bunting into a hot zone statistically actually has a better chance of getting a hit than his straight up hitting- over 40%.

If you have players that can run, you should take advantage of it. Second and third and no one out is an even better situation.

1. Why do you assume a successful bunt right into the hot zone?
2. The risk of getting the winning run thrown out stealing IS NOT WORTH IT, especially when 3rd base is trying to be swiped too, damn!

JohnnyQuid
03-10-2015, 10:32 PM

I agree with alot of the things smitty says, but this to me (besides the insults or he's terrible etc) is true. There's plenty of times I'm ok with bunting, stealing, hitting and running - but that depends on who's on who's hitting are we up are we behind + dozen other things. Its just part of it. Everything in baseball to me is situational. I dont pretend to be some expert ... so just a layman with an opinion

I played baseball but never at a collegiate lvl, after high school was done for me - but its always been my favorite sport.

Todd4State
03-10-2015, 10:33 PM
1. Why do you assume a successful bunt right into the hot zone?
2. The risk of getting the winning run thrown out stealing IS NOT WORTH IT, especially when 3rd base is trying to be swiped too, damn!

1. Why do you assume a hit? Again, the odds of something positive happening are always in the favor of a pitcher.

2. It is if you have players that are good enough base runners depending on the catcher. Studies show that if you steal past a break point of 65-70% you increase your offensive output. It also keeps you out of a double play and puts the odds of a wild pitch, sac fly, etc. into play and it forces the infield to come in increasing the odds of getting a hit. Even if the runner gets thrown out at third, you still have a runner in scoring position worst case scenario assuming less than two outs.

JohnnyQuid
03-10-2015, 10:39 PM
2. It is if you have players that are good enough base runners depending on the catcher. Studies show that if you steal past a break point of 65-70% you increase your offensive output. It also keeps you out of a double play and puts the odds of a wild pitch, sac fly, etc. into play and it forces the infield to come in increasing the odds of getting a hit. Even if the runner gets thrown out at third, you still have a runner in scoring position worst case scenario assuming less than two outs.

All this plus, I think you force the defense into pressure situations and having to make a play and plenty of times probably making an error.

Smitty
03-10-2015, 10:47 PM
1. Why do you assume a hit? Again, the odds of something positive happening are always in the favor of a pitcher.

You would risk getting the winning run thrown out just because you would still have the tying run in scoring position?

engie
03-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Todd would agree that both sides have valid points if Smitty wasn't always taking such a hard line on it IMO. His approach inspires resistance alot more than his actual point does...

It's not back and white. Not in the situation being argued... I could effectively argue both sides and see both sides...

At some point, that I think we cross fairly regularly, you've got to show confidence in the players and "let them go win you a game" instead of trying to outsmart yourself. The early bunting and stuff shows a lack of coach-confidence in our players -- and I have to believe that filters down to an extent. It's easy to start blaming it when guys that are naturally far superior hitters to what they are showing currently are struggling... I can also argue the other side and say a good drag bunt for a hit -- or a hit and run or run and hit -- was one of the quickest ways for me to break a slump. Always thought too much as a player. Situational stuff made me better because it took the thinking out of it...

HancockCountyDog
03-11-2015, 08:30 AM
I talked to an old friend who went to the game yesterday, he said the HR at the top of the 9th??? where they took the lead was one of the longest HR he has ever seen hit at Dudy and he has probably watched 500 games at that stadium.

Has nothing to with this thread, just thought it was interesting.

Smitty
03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I talked to an old friend who went to the game yesterday, he said the HR at the top of the 9th??? where they took the lead was one of the longest HR he has ever seen hit at Dudy and he has probably watched 500 games at that stadium.

Has nothing to with this thread, just thought it was interesting.

It was a shot but nowhere close to the longest I've seen. Mitch Moreland used to go over the road in RF and Connor Powers sent some over the trees in LF.

Ralph
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
It was a shot but nowhere close to the longest I've seen. Mitch Moreland used to go over the road in RF and Connor Powers sent some over the trees in LF.

Yeah that was a shot, but ive seen plenty longer. I was in LF bleachers during masters salami, and it was much further. And as you said, Moreland and powers hit a few like that.

I seen it dawg
03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Frank Thomas. Ball rolled across the track and settled in the track infield.

preachermatt83
03-11-2015, 11:51 AM
albert Belle hit the longest homerun ever hit at DNF