PDA

View Full Version : Barometric Pressure Cheat Sheet (For Fishing)

BeastMan
03-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Saw this on Salty Cajun and it was from a blog on there. The last paragraph was the posters opinion and I think it's a great take as well as the blog excerpt. :

I came across this on the Angle Wise blog.

"I have known for a while that the barometric pressure affects fishing, but I always forget how. Every time I want to use the barometric pressure to figure out how fishing will be, I had to spend a while researching the subject. NOT ANY MORE! I put together a cheat sheet that I will start referring to. Here it is:
High Pressure (30.50 +) = Clear Skies = Fishing Medium to Slow = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Medium Pressure (29.70 ? 30.40) = Fair Weather = Normal Fishing = Test lures, baits, and techniques to see what works.
Low Pressure (29.60 -) = Cloudy/Rainy Weather = Fishing Slows = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Rising Pressure = Improving Weather = Fish Slightly Active = Fish slowly in deeper water or near cover.
Stable Pressure = Fair Weather = Normal Fishing = Best time to test lures, baits, and techniques to see what works.
Falling Pressure = Degrading Weather = Best Fishing = The fish will attack anything you throw at them. (well, pretty much)
So, what is the best barometric pressure for fishing? Answer: When it?s between about 29.90 and 30.90 and the pressure is rapidly falling. This is when you will find the fish most active and feeding.
You could check the barometric pressure online, but I prefer to have my own hand-held barometer, so I can keep an eye on the pressure in real-time. That way I can see exactly when the pressure starts moving in a favorable direction, and still make it to the lake in time for some awesome fishing.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
That's awesome beast...can this be applied to all fishing locations or is it mostly for off-shore? That range of 29.90 - 30.90 must be the Holy Grail of wildlife activity. Last year, I read a journal article on the best barometric pressure to hunt for mature bucks and it was right around that range. I'll see if I can find the article.

BeastMan
03-27-2015, 12:39 PM
That's awesome beast...can this be applied to all fishing locations or is it mostly for off-shore? That range of 29.90 - 30.90 must be the Holy Grail of wildlife activity. Last year, I read a journal article on the best barometric pressure to hunt for mature bucks and it was right around that range. I'll see if I can find the article.

I'm really not sure. This was off another board where most of the posters are inshore south LA guys. I would assume he had an inshore pov but I'd be willing to bet this has to also ring true for freshwater species. I've never really paid attention to barometric pressure for fishing but this simplified it enough to where I could understand and follow. I' still going to have the "go when you can" mindset but this will be something else I look at prior to a trip.

FISHDAWG
03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
good clip ... I never understood how an underwater animal could relate to air pressure but I'm sure it does ... always thought it had something to do with sunlight when the fronts would come through. But there is a noticeable difference when these conditions change on freshwater.... IMO, tide / water movement was the bigger concern until running offshore where I think these things are much less critical. I have noticed well offshore where tide is less effective that the bite will turn on and off without notice for whatever reason ... maybe it's the barometer out there as well