PDA

View Full Version : What Kenpom has to say about our basketball team over the last 14 seasons

Quaoarsking
03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
I really like the Ken Pomeroy ratings (kenpom.com) because they analyze how good teams' offenses and defenses are, and wins and losses don't enter into the equation. They're a lot better at determining how good a team really is and how they would theoretically do over the next set of games.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_08_03_15_2_16_24.png

I've charted the Overall Ranking of our team going back to 2002, along with our Offensive Ranking (blue), Defensive Ranking (green), and Luck Ranking (black). Luck is a mathematical formula that compares how good the team really is to their W/L record.

A few observations:

First of all, this chart is skewed because it doesn't include the first three years of the Stansbury Era. I would have included them if Kenpom went back that far, but unfortunately it does not. This makes comparisons of "Ray's best X is worse than Stansbury's worst X" not entirely valid.
The chart is also skewed because 2015 isn't over yet. I doubt we can do much to change our rankings at this point, but theoretically we could win 2 or 3 games this week and raise our rankings. I doubt they would fall too much with a loss to Auburn, unless we just get demolished, though, since we're already below Auburn in the rankings.
We finished #1 in defense in 2003 (lost in the first round to Butler that year as a 5 seed). We were always very good defensively under Stans until Varnado and Stewart left, and we got a lot worse. All 3 of Rick Ray's seasons have been better defensively than Stansbury's last 2. 2015 was an improvement on 2014 defensively, but only back to the point we were in 2013.
On the flip side, Rick Ray's offensive stats have been abysmal, especially 2013. We improved a lot offensively from 2013 to 2014, and a little more in 2015. However, we are still 88 spots below 2005, which was a pretty mediocre season.
We had some terrible luck under Stans, and also some under Ray. Remember, "Luck" is a poorly-named catch-all category that would reflect having bad losses that don't represent the team's actual ability. We had 3 of those this year, and had them often during Stansbury's tenure, so that's probably the reason why. Kenpom calls it luck that our record is usually less than the teams' actual ability, while I say it's just a characteristic of Mississippi State basketball, regardless of coach, to lose to bad nonconference teams.
All of Ray's teams have been significantly worse than Stansbury's teams, at least Stansbury's final 11. However, at the same time, it is clear that Ray's teams are improving. We will need to improve by more than our typical 40 spots, though, to sniff the NIT next year. Tennessee is a likely NIT team with a Kenpom ranking of 94 (74/147/112). That's 75 points better than us, so we'd need to double the improvement of 2014 and 2015 in 2016 to have a reasonable expectation to get there (and yes, we could get into the NIT with less improvement or not get there with more improvement depending on how the RPI goes and how our actual W/L record represents how good we really are.

I seen it dawg
03-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Nice stat work as always

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Coaching between Ray and Croom are eerily similar. Horrible offense with a pretty good defense. Finally recruiting like you need to but it might be too late.

Dallas_Dawg
03-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Coaching between Ray and Croom are eerily similar. Horrible offense with a pretty good defense. Finally recruiting like you need to but it might be too late.
Croomz was finally crootin during his last season with the 09 class and he got canned.

Political Hack
03-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Ray is living in the 100 to 150 range defensively. Stans was in the 0 to 50 range consistently on defense until the bottom fell out in 2010. It was obvious it was time to move on, but you would have to blindly ignore a decade of work to even come close to suggesting that Ray has been better defensively than Stans was.

tcdog70
03-09-2015, 10:07 AM
The Truth shall Set you free!!

Ralph
03-09-2015, 10:11 AM
This did it for me. Let's rename the Hump and extend Ray another 4 years and bump his pay 20%!

I love how we focus on rankings that don't take W/L into consideration. Nice.

Political Hack
03-09-2015, 10:20 AM
he's just having bad luck this year.***

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Wow 2013 offense was bad. It couldn't have gotten much worse if you had a bunch of guys from a church league just jacking threes.

Dawg61
03-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Don't worry the dead last offense will take care of itself.

maroonmania
03-09-2015, 12:12 PM
This just reaffirms for me why its been so hard to watch the product we've put on the floor the last 3 years. Harder than any team we ever had under Stans. The issue with Stans' last couple of teams was it was frustrating to see guys that were not playing up to their potential or not always giving full effort. However it was always a better overall basketball product than what we've had under Ray at any point.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Does anyone think better players will make our offense work or will it be like Jerious Norwood playing for Croom? I always thought Stans was inept at offensive coaching and now I have seen worse in RR.

Political Hack
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Does anyone think better players will make our offense work or will it be like Jerious Norwood playing for Croom? I always thought Stans was inept at offensive coaching and now I have seen worse in RR.

tackle the man with the football worked ok some games. If we have one guy who can catcha nd shoot, create of the dirbble, beat double teams, make impeccable passes out fo the double teams, dribble like allen iverson, jump like vince carter, float like Michael jordan, shoot like ray allen, pass like magic johnson, and attack the goal like Dr J we could be ok next year.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
tackle the man with the football worked ok some games. If we have one guy who can catcha nd shoot, create of the dirbble, beat double teams, make impeccable passes out fo the double teams, dribble like allen iverson, jump like vince carter, float like Michael jordan, shoot like ray allen, pass like magic johnson, and attack the goal like Dr J we could be ok next year.

So do you think that guy is Zuppardo? We could be pretty good then.

maroonmania
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Well ANY offense looks better if you have a few perimeter players that can actually knock down shots. Whether Ray or Stans I see a lot of just going "around the horn" of the perimeter passing back and forth until the shot clock becomes a factor but Stans had more guys that could actually make shots from out there. Ray's offense had leaned a lot more on Sword driving to the basket because we don't have very many guys that can make even open looks from the perimeter.

gtowndawg
03-09-2015, 03:41 PM
we haven't beaten anybody with a pulse in three years. That's all I really care about it.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2015, 04:20 PM
we haven't beaten anybody with a pulse in three years. That's all I really care about it.

I think beating LSU and Tennessee counts as beating someone with a pulse. We just follow it up by then losing to someone we should beat.

HSVDawg
03-09-2015, 04:42 PM
So according to this, Stansbury's 2003 team was better than the 2004 team? Don't think I'm buying that. Interesting rankings nonetheless though.

msstate7
03-09-2015, 04:48 PM

OM 2 years ago got into the round of 32

IMissJack
03-09-2015, 06:27 PM

That is because it is much easier to coach defense than offense. You can take average players, and if they play hard all the time and are tough, they will stay close and win a few when other teams blow it. However, it is more difficult to implement an offensive system where you actually have to read the other defense and if you don't have the athletic horses, scheme around that. Croom and McCorvey knew how to run the ball, that was it. Croom also had a good defensive coord. You cannot do that consistently when you don't have and oline and very little passing threat. Without Norwood and Dixon, Croom would have won half of what he did. From what I have seen of Ray, I don't see much of a system on offense, the team seems to hustle, but that only gets you so far. I will say this, having the right QB or PG works wonders also.