PDA

View Full Version : Damn, are we going to be stacked on the mound next year...

CadaverDawg
06-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Woody
Lindgren
Fitts
Bracewell
Ross Mitchell
Holder
Will Cox
Gentry
Shelly
Hudson
Norris
Bradford
Maybe even Evan Mitchell

We are built to be back soon. Just gotta keep working on the bats

maroonmania
06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Well we better find some dependable starters in that group. Its nice to have a great bullpen but how much better it COULD have been if we could have matched that bullpen with a dependable 1-2-3 punch of Graveman-Mitchell-Lindgren (or Woody if he had been healthy). Instead outside of Graveman we had noone that could get past 3 innings. I doubt there has ever been a team with such weak starting pitching reach the CWS finals.

Goat Holder
06-25-2013, 11:05 PM
I've been telling you all that we have an above average chance to be right back here next year.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
We will have GREAT starting pitching next season. Our Ace being a guy like Graveman will be a thing of the past starting next year.

I am expecting big things from our staff next year. I'm thinking Woody and Lindgren have great years next season. And we probably throw Fitts or Cox as our 3rd starter unless a Dakota Hudson or someone steps up.

If our bullpen was this bad ass with no starting pitching, imagine what it will be when every starter gives us 5-6 innings at least. That's what we will see e next few years.

Cox is either going to be a great starter, or an incredible set up guy for Holder. And Ross will be able to be our long relief. Ben Bracewell may even end up being a midweek starter or something, who knows. There will be some guys step up and some that may have injuries or our yearly head cases, but all in all, we are building a yearly championship contender from the mound. We just need our hitting to continue to improve.

maroonmania
06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Woody gets a pass because obviously he wasn't healthy even when he did pitch. Lindgren going to have to get some mental toughness or something because there is no reason he shouldn't have been at LEAST a dependable starter this year and he wasn't. So until I see a change I have no faith in Lindgren. Everyone else, to me, is unproven as a starter. Fitts did a decent job in the postseason but coming out and going less than 3 innings doesn't make you a starter. I look at it as the fact that we have a lot of options but also a lot of question marks on the mound next year. For every Girodo we have there is an E. Mitchell. So you just don't know which way a pitcher's career is going to go as they mature.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Maroon, I respect your thoughts...but can our starters be any worse next year?? I dont think it's possible.

So yes, I can say that we will be much improved at our starting pitching, because we can't be any worse. And we made it to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP with NO starting pitching. That is unreal in and of itself.

Goat Holder
06-25-2013, 11:28 PM
but can our starters be any worse next year?? I dont think it's possible.

While it can be alot worse, the answer to your question is 'no', in our situation.

It really is a testament to the coaching staff. Our pitchers at the end were of average talent. This whole deal about our bullpen? Yeah that's a nice way of saying our starting pitching wasn't any good. And we still finished #2 in the country.

Pitching will be lights out next year. We WILL be a national seed.

msstate7
06-25-2013, 11:29 PM
I think lindgren makes huge strides this offseason. I think he's our opening day starter and Friday guy all year.

maroonmania
06-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh no, I agree with that, we won't be any worse next year. However, I think we were beyond fortunate to accomplish what we did this year with the starting pitching we had. To be a true "juggernaut" type team/program we need at least 2 stud starters on the mound AND still have a third dependable guy and keep a good bullpen. So no we won't be worse next year I just don't know that I can AUTOMATICALLY say we will have "GREAT" starting pitching next year. That was my only point.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Not a shocker

Woody
Lindgren
Fitts
Bracewell
Ross Mitchell
Holder
Will Cox
Gentry
Shelly
Hudson
Norris
Bradford
Maybe even Evan Mitchell

We are built to be back soon. Just gotta keep working on the bats

CadaverDawg
06-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Where the **** is Norris going to go? Pro? Haha, he must be on that Evan Mitchell wacky shit if he thinks he should go pro. If he would come back next year and actually work, he could improve his draft stock. Hell, if there is ever a position on this team that is up for grabs next year it's 3rd base...but he must not have the drive to work for it. He could even be a pitcher for us next year and improve draft stock. Oh well, he would be dumb to go, but whatever.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Also, here's the bats we will have to choose from....

Detz
Pirtle
Rea
Bradford
Humphries (signee)
Henderson
Robson
Britton
Hann
Armstrong
Collins (signee)
Garner
Vickerson (signee)
JUCO signee catcher?
Who else am I missing?

Surely we can find 9 guys out of that group to scratch a few runs across per game for our bad ass pitching staff.

Todd4State
06-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Lindgren is going to the Cape this summer and I think that will benefit him greatly. See Chris Stratton. Woodruff just has to get healthy. I think Dakota Hudson is going to be special, and he's my favorite to win the Sunday job. Jacob struggled after the Vanderbilt series- but he also flashed his potential as well. He was brilliant against Auburn. To me, he just has to learn to put misfortune behind him and get the next hitter.

Todd4State
06-26-2013, 12:26 AM
C- Cody Kelly (AKA the JUCO catcher)
1B- Big Wes. With experience and likely a more hitter friendly baseball to hit.
2B- Pirtle, Pirtle, Pirtle
3B- Humphries. Too bad he isn't a year older. We could have used him this year.
SS- Britton. Calling it now.
RF- Demarcus
CF-CT
LF- Robson
DH- Detz

CadaverDawg
06-26-2013, 12:36 AM
RF- Demarcus
CF-CT
LF- Robson
DH- Detz

That is exactly the lineup I was throwing out in chat during the game. Except I had Garner at C because I didn't know the Juco catcher. I actually hope that Robson either improves tremendously, or Vickerson/Collins can provide immediate outfield help....because I don't like the idea of having 3 tiny outfielders with weak arms and not much power at the plate. Bradford, Robson, Henderson seems like a very weak all around group out there...but they would be great at getting to fly balls.

And I totally agree about Britton. I have been saying all year that he will surprise everyone before he's gone. He is a big guy that has wheels and if he is a mainstay in the lineup I think he can be Pirtle-esque for us at the plate. His defense will be the key...if he can just play a solid shortstop he will start. As good as Frazier was, he also made some lazy errors and I don't think it's crazy to think Britton can be just about as good in the field with a good off season.

Will James
06-26-2013, 12:42 AM
I think lindgren makes huge strides this offseason. I think he's our opening day starter and Friday guy all year.

1st rounder

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-26-2013, 08:13 AM
RF- Demarcus
CF-CT
LF- Robson
DH- Detz

Won't that be kind of disappointing if Garner is not the starting catcher? I thought the guy was supposed to be pretty legit.

CadaverDawg
06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Won't that be kind of disappointing if Garner is not the starting catcher? I thought the guy was supposed to be pretty legit.

He will still be just a freshman, so as long as he is a legit starter by his sophomore or Junior year, Im cool with that.