PDA

View Full Version : Our outfield situation

Schultzy
03-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Conference play starts next weekend and it's about to get real, so how is the playing time going to shake out?
Collins - played right yesterday but will probably catch a lot
Cody Brown - has outplayed everybody else, he needs to start
Robson - good at bats and lots of speed but got benched for stupid base running that cost us a game.
Smith- superior talent in my opinion, been hurt a little, needs to play everyday I think

Humphrey - huge pop and ran down a ball in the gap Friday that was impressive, Cohen is giving him every chance bc of his upside but he better start producing, we can't afford a hole in the lineup with as many good outfielders as we have on the roster.

I'm missing some people here but I would go with Brown, Smith and Robson everyday now and put Collins at catcher.

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Until Hump starts producing might let him be Right DH. Gives him some at bats and allows you to replace him if he isn't.

Smitty
03-08-2015, 10:37 AM
All I'm gonna say is Robson is 1-11 vs Zona and San Diego with 4 K's.. The two actually talented teams we've played.

Groundout bunt to pitcher (can't drag all day on good teams)
Groundout to 1B.
Groundout to SS off the pitcher.
Groundout to 1B.
Groundout double play to 2B.
Flyout to right.

Not exactly hard contact off good arms. You can drop a bunt all day on bad squads. In the SEC you have to HIT the baseball. Too all fields I might add. Look at that spray chart against our good pitching opponents. Nothing to the left side at all. Nothing squared up. Yet some people that "know baseball" want him hitting 2nd.

RTO Dawg
03-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Why all the love for smith? He hasn't looked good to me...

Schultzy
03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Why all the love for smith? He hasn't looked good to me...

Gap power, very fast. He just hasnt been in the lineup enough to totally evaluate yet. Highly recruited guy too, we'll see if I'm right or not on him.

Schultzy
03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
All I'm gonna say is Robson is 1-11 vs Zona and San Diego with 4 K's.. The two actually talented teams we've played.

Groundout bunt to pitcher (can't drag all day on good teams)
Groundout to 1B.
Groundout to SS off the pitcher.
Groundout to 1B.
Groundout double play to 2B.
Flyout to right.

Not exactly hard contact off good arms. You can drop a bunt all day on bad squads. In the SEC you have to HIT the baseball. Too all fields I might add. Look at that spray chart against our good pitching opponents. Nothing to the left side at all. Nothing squared up. Yet some people that "know baseball" want him hitting 2nd.

So you have a pencil and a lineup card, what names are you writing down?

smootness
03-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Right now, I'm going Robson in CF, Smith in RF, Brown in LF, and Humphreys DHing.

If Robson struggles over the next couple of weekends, then I would move Brown to CF and put Humphreys in LF with Rooker DHing. If Humphreys, Rooker, or Smith struggles, then I would move Vickerson into the OF.

This will all work itself out pretty quickly.

Smitty
03-08-2015, 12:49 PM
So you have a pencil and a lineup card, what names are you writing down?

Heck
Collins
Smith
Rooker
Rea
Hump
Brown
Gridley
Holland

With this group the lineup could fluctuate more but that's my 9

Schultzy
03-08-2015, 06:25 PM
I like your lineup, Hump is the only question to me, if he can turn it around we will be solid.

I seen it dawg
03-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Conference play starts next weekend and it's about to get real, so how is the playing time going to shake out?
Collins - played right yesterday but will probably catch a lot
Cody Brown - has outplayed everybody else, he needs to start
Robson - good at bats and lots of speed but got benched for stupid base running that cost us a game.
Smith- superior talent in my opinion, been hurt a little, needs to play everyday I think

Humphrey - huge pop and ran down a ball in the gap Friday that was impressive, Cohen is giving him every chance bc of his upside but he better start producing, we can't afford a hole in the lineup with as many good outfielders as we have on the roster.

I'm missing some people here but I would go with Brown, Smith and Robson everyday now and put Collins at catcher.

I think Hump at DH and give him another wkd. Brown, Robson (has to get more disciplined), Smith

Homedawg
03-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Hump has a short leash for me. Another shot this weekend. Not ready to cut the cord yet, but he's in the birth canal.

shoeless joe
03-08-2015, 10:17 PM
I'd go smith, brown, hump. I'm not giving up on Robson, but those would start for me Friday nite. However, brown is only one I'm solid on. With Robson and vickerson available we gotta have folks in that produce.

Smitty
03-08-2015, 10:35 PM
But Robson is the best 2 hole hitter we've had**

Stepped out on that limb by myself, coming to fruition a week later. Gotta be able to HIT to win.

Coach34
03-08-2015, 10:42 PM
All I'm gonna say is Robson is 1-11 vs Zona and San Diego with 4 K's.. The two actually talented teams we've played..

Humphreys is 1-13 vs those same teams with 3 K's- yet you want him to bat 6th

Smitty
03-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Humphreys is 1-13 vs those same teams with 3 K's- yet you want him to bat 6th

6 hole ain't close to as important as the 2 hole… And Hump actually has a chance of running one out of the yard. Im not beyond sticking Vick out in LF if he doesn't click though.

14 K in 62 PA still only 23% K rate. Needs to be cut for surebut certainly not out of control especially if the ball starts flying. (Rea was at 28% in league play last year) Made hard outs today.

.277 BABIP will come up as hard as he hits the MFer. Puts him right around .260 which is fine for a 6-8 HR guy…. In the 6 hole

Dallas_Dawg
03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Didn't Jake Vickerson start the 2014 season as our CF and leadoff hitter? Is he not the answer in CF?

Smitty
03-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Didn't Jake Vickerson start the 2014 season as our CF and leadoff hitter? Is he not the answer in CF?

Cody Brown and Michael Smith trump Vick currently. Its Vick or Hump in LF, Hump has to start getting XBH or he's out and Vick's in.