PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Four Roses

SapperDawg
03-07-2015, 09:29 PM
I celebrated my fourth wedding anniversary to my wife a few weeks ago, and if you are in to the traditional and modern gift deal they were flowers or fruit. She knocked it out of the park and gave me two bottles of Four Roses bourbon: Small Batch and Single Barrel. I have been enjoying these for a few weeks now and feel good enough about them to provide an informed opinion.

First the single barrel: I have spent the most time with this one, and like it a lot. This is an easy drinker, I think best neat or with just a small bit of dilution. At first, I stuck with the single barrel almost exclusively, but over the last few days I have been switching back and forth between this one and the small batch.

The small batch is much more spicy on the palate (think rye spicy) compared to the single barrel, and I didn't care for it at first. After drinking it over an ice ball, I have to say I like the small batch more and more - especially during this cold snap. Over time, this one is becoming my favorite of two.

They are equal proof at 45%, and these are two good drinkers for reasonable prices. If I was drinking it neat, go for the single barrel. If you are an over ice drinker, the small batch is what you want. The guy at the liquor store sold my wife on these saying the small batch was better for mixing cocktails and the single barrel for drinking. No way would I do this. If you want to mix cocktails get the Four Roses yellow label for less than $20.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/F43DE885-4ADC-42E4-AF3D-0724E7A201BD_zpstyestouv.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/F43DE885-4ADC-42E4-AF3D-0724E7A201BD_zpstyestouv.jpg.html)

FlabLoser
03-08-2015, 12:30 AM
There are varying recipes of the single barrel at different stores. Some stores got to visit 4R and hand chose a stock to sell.

I think they are all good and some are world beater amazing.

SapperDawg
03-08-2015, 08:26 AM
One of my collegues in MI has a hand selected bottle for me from a small store outside Ann Arbor that made the visit. Looking forward to getting that one.

I like how 4R is open about the different mash bills and yeast they use, but I dont think I am into the chase for all those like some are.

BeastMan
03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for these reports. I always find them fascinating