PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing worse than 2nd

Quaoarsking
06-25-2013, 10:38 PM
There's no way I could be more miserable over the end of a season. Not losing in the semis. Not losing to UVA. Not losing to Central Arkansas in Starkville. In a few weeks I might think about how great of a season it was overall, but thinking about it right now just makes me sick to my stomach.

msstate7
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree with you. Did I just agree with q? This will fuel our fire though. We'll be back

Coach34
06-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm actually ok

We overachieved a little- especially considering our lack of starting pitching. This is a start-we'll be back again- and probably next season.

Bully13
06-25-2013, 10:41 PM
There's no way I could be more miserable over the end of a season. Not losing in the semis. Not losing to UVA. Not losing to Central Arkansas in Starkville. In a few weeks I might think about how great of a season it was overall, but thinking about it right now just makes me sick to my stomach.

good post q.. good stuff.. this shit hurts.. agree totally

hailmari
06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Spot on, coach.

FlabLoser
06-25-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm actually ok

We overachieved a little- especially considering our lack of starting pitching. This is a start-we'll be back again- and probably next season.

Agree.

Nothing worse than 2nd? Does Q remember Polk II?

PMDawg
06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm actually ok

me too. I was actually surprised at how mad I did not get. It was a fun ride, good exposure, a heckofa season. We were not the best, or second best, team in the country. But we played and coached our way there. Proud of the whole team & staff. Proud to be a dog today.

Will James
06-26-2013, 09:35 AM
My bad for the rant. Obviously too far. But I agree Q.

msstate7
06-26-2013, 10:02 AM

I'm sure there were more rants than yours. You just showed the world yours.

Hypnodawg
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
I keep trying to tell myself that what the team did this season was incredible and that I should be happy; but, the way we played last night was far from incredible. That loss was miserable.

dickiedawg
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
I disagree. Definitely not trading places with Ole Miss right now.

Ronny
06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
..if UCLA had been in our bracket instead of the opposite bracket, they would have ousted our asses 2 weeks ago.

Bottom line is this was an over achieving MSU team that was lucky enough to be in the bracket opposite the best team in the tornament. That's why we played for the NC.

FlabLoser
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
..if UCLA had been in our bracket instead of the opposite bracket, they would have ousted our asses 2 weeks ago.

Bottom line is this was an over achieving MSU team that was lucky enough to be in the bracket opposite the best team in the tornament. That's why we played for the NC.

Nobody is lucky enough to be in any bracket.

Brackets are seeded. We deserved to be in the bracket we were in.

Ronny
06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Nobody is lucky enough to be in any bracket.

Brackets are seeded. We deserved to be in the bracket we were in.

I don't know who deserved what.

All I am saying is if we would have been in UCLA's bracket, they would have knocked us out of the tournament early.

And playing for the NC would have been a pipe dream.

Coach34
06-26-2013, 10:44 AM
My view is this:

A team with our starting pitching, a great bullpen, and a solid line-up should have not made it out of the Supers- but we did. Making it to Omaha was great, and playing for the NC was the gravy.

Now then, it's what we do with that experience from here that is the key to the future of the program.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
If you're not first you're last. Hell I was high on peyote when I said that.

engie
06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm with Coach and Flab...

This team was a Super-Regional -- Borderline CWS -- team with another postseason overachievement. It is NOWHERE CLOSE to the best overall team that we will field under Cohen.

Hell, people need to remember that this team was recruited on the heels of the worst seasons in MSU baseball history where EVERYTHING was going against us. Only our true freshman class, which didn't contribute much, were recruited AFTER we'd turned the corner and made the little Super-Regional run down in Florida. How much do you think recruiting already has(and especially is about to) improved?

I said all along that without 2 of Woodruff, Lindgren, and Mitchell that we wouldn't be elite. Somehow, we still managed to go further than any other team in MSU history. Sucks that we lost in the end, but it is what it is. ELITE begins to happen next year -- when I fully expect us to compete for an SEC title. VERY few teams win it all in Omaha the first time they go as a group. It's when the go back 3 times in 4 years(UCLA) that they finally break through...

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-26-2013, 11:41 AM

This team was a Super-Regional -- Borderline CWS -- team with another postseason overachievement. It is NOWHERE CLOSE to the best overall team that we will field under Cohen.

Hell, people need to remember that this team was recruited on the heels of the worst seasons in MSU baseball history where EVERYTHING was going against us. Only our true freshman class, which didn't contribute much, were recruited AFTER we'd turned the corner and made the little Super-Regional run down in Florida. How much do you think recruiting already has(and especially is about to) improved?

I said all along that without 2 of Woodruff, Lindgren, and Mitchell that we wouldn't be elite. Somehow, we still managed to go further than any other team in MSU history. Sucks that we lost in the end, but it is what it is. ELITE begins to happen next year -- when I fully expect us to compete for an SEC title. VERY few teams win it all in Omaha the first time they go as a group. It's when the go back 3 times in 4 years(UCLA) that they finally break through...

Honestly I did not think we would make it past Virginia.

engie
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Me neither.

We bring back a ton next year in general terms. With the easier SEC schedule, I want to compete for a regular season title for the first time in 25 years...

DownwardDawg
06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
My view is this:

A team with our starting pitching, a great bullpen, and a solid line-up should have not made it out of the Supers- but we did. Making it to Omaha was great, and playing for the NC was the gravy.

Now then, it's what we do with that experience from here that is the key to the future of the program.

^^^This^^^
I'm actually just fine today. I was a basket case Friday when we played Oregon State. I never expected to make it that far and couldn't believe that we were on the cusp of actually playing for a NC. Once we won Friday I relaxed a little. i was hoping to host a Regional this year. Obviously, we far exceeded that. I never thought we would beat Virginia until we won that 1st game. This season has been a blast and I will never forget it. Hopefully we'll be regulars in Omaha.

PMDawg
06-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Speaking of...can we delete that thread. No offense to Will but I would be embarrassed for a player or recruit to see that.

Sandman14
06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

This is exactly right.

When we earned a regional host and then won the regional, that was what this team had the firepower to do. That was achieving what we were capable of.

Both UVA and OSU were better teams than ours, and we beat their asses. That's overachieving. Maybe you could argue that we were playing better as a unit at the end of the season and thus were a better team than UVA or OSU...I don't know. All I know is that the way this team came together was somewhat surprising. Making Omaha without one single elite starting pitcher is very difficult. Winning 3 games at Omaha without a single elite starting pitcher is damn near impossible. I'm sure it's been done before, but not often.

I woke up this morning feeling no pain whatsoever and with my chest bulging out. We are building a dynasty. The recruiting game just changed. Some kids out there didn't know what MSU baseball was all about. Now they do. For sure.

This season just locked up the next 5 years as being extremely fun because I know that during baseball season, I'm going to be hanging on every radio broadcast.

NOW GET THE DAMN THING WORKED OUT WHERE ALL THE FRIGGAN GAMES CAN BE BROADCAST ON THE RADIO, STRICK.

maroonmania
06-26-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't know who deserved what.

All I am saying is if we would have been in UCLA's bracket, they would have knocked us out of the tournament early.

And playing for the NC would have been a pipe dream.

Well yea you could probably say that in hindsight BUT before the CWS started NOBODY and I mean NOBODY would have said UCLA was the best team in that bracket. Most folks would have said they were maybe third or even the fourth best team in that bracket. You have to remember that we beat the Pac-12 champ (Oregon State) twice while UCLA finished 3rd in that conference behind Oregon as well. UCLA was certainly a quality team but they just got hot and put it all together at the right time.