PDA

View Full Version : San Diego part two baseball

MsStateBaseball
03-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Defense and pitching are supurb. We get the starter to go 6 innings every game, we will win a bunch. When's the last time we had starters like these?

Offense....Cohen mentioned warmer temps will help offense. Once we get going, we will be tough to beat.

I hate that it's supposed to rain all week. Really need to play Western Kentucky. It don't look like we will.

War Machine Dawg
03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Defense and pitching are supurb. We get the starter to go 6 innings every game, we will win a bunch. When's the last time we had starters like these?

Offense....Cohen mentioned warmer temps will help offense. Once we get going, we will be tough to beat.

I hate that it's supposed to rain all week. Really need to play Western Kentucky. It don't look like we will.

**** that shit. Good offensive teams hit even when it's cold. Ask LSU, SCar, etc. We suck at offense and have ever since the Hitting Guru became HC. That weather excuse bullshit pisses me off and makes me think of Cohen like this:

http://i.imgur.com/MAq8cbq.gif

Bully13
03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
yep. Cohen has failed year after year in regards to offensive production. he has proven he has no clue as to how you get cleats on the plate. he has just not figured it out. whether it be bunting or fake bunts. he 17's up time and time again.

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 09:25 PM
yep. Cohen has failed year after year in regards to offensive production. he has proven he has no clue as to how you get cleats on the plate. he has just not figured it out. whether it be bunting or fake bunts. he 17's up time and time again.

I think our post season success in his short time may prove a little different...

Bully13
03-07-2015, 09:29 PM
I think our post season success in his short time may prove a little different...

that's why I like Cohen. his teams have surprised the shit out of me time and time again. just when you think we don't have it, he pulls out wins when they are least expected. the times we didn't even make it to NE, we came so damned close when I didn't think we would even sniff it.

that's the sign of a good coach, IMO. but he needs to figure the O out. no more swac losses at the dude. totally unacceptable.

Todd4State
03-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Our offense going into this weekend including losing to Arkansas Pine Bluff was in the top 10 in runs scored per game, 26th in batting average and we are leading the SEC in OBP. Other than the SEC stat, that's out of around 300 or so teams. Compared to the rest of the country we've done pretty well.

I do think it will get better because right now we are just now getting our power guys back and healthy. It's just a matter now of getting Collins going- and that will take about a week or so realistically. And it's a matter of getting Humphreys and Rooker going as well. Once that happens we'll have more power than we do at the present moment. Collins and Rea will be fine. Not sure what to think about Humphreys right now- he needs to get back to the basics. It looks to me like he might be Wes Rea from last year. I hope he turns it around. Rooker is a freshman, so he's going to have good and bad moments.

There is no reason to complain about the offense scoring four runs in a win against a solid San Diego team and getting shut down by their ace.

bulldogcountry1
03-07-2015, 10:16 PM
I had always chalked up the small ball approach to BBCOR and our lack of team power. I assumed we would start seeing a more aggressive approach this season with more power options. That's even what it looked like the first two weeks. Now, it seems like we are right back to the original approach.

I'm just a little concerned that many opponents will score more due to the new balls, and we will lose too many close games trying to shoot for 3-4 manufactured runs.

Todd4State
03-07-2015, 10:40 PM
I had always chalked up the small ball approach to BBCOR and our lack of team power. I assumed we would start seeing a more aggressive approach this season with more power options. That's even what it looked like the first two weeks. Now, it seems like we are right back to the original approach.

I'm just a little concerned that many opponents will score more due to the new balls, and we will lose too many close games trying to shoot for 3-4 manufactured runs.

I wouldn't worry about that for a couple of reasons.

1. Our rotation is really good, and we have a lot of pitchers that strike out a lot of guys and relievers that strike out a lot of guys. We are also good about keeping the ball down. Ross and Preston are weak contact machines.

2. See what I said above. We've had to go back to exclusively small ball temporarily because of Rea, Humphreys, and Collins all being out at times early. Now that they are all back, it's a matter of getting those guys going. If they do, that will determine how diverse our lineup is. If Humphreys doesn't get going, Cohen will resort to Vickerson and Cody Brown if they are both playing better and we will be a little bit more of a small ball team. I think Rooker is going to platoon anyway.

3. Small ball is considered aggressive- stealing, bunting for hits, hit and running. What you are really saying whether you know it or not is you want more power- and we all want that. If we manufacture runs- there is nothing wrong with that. And yes, it will work in SEC play. Ask Vanderbilt. If we can get power going with our small ball- we will be really, really good. We're pretty good right now- but having power in with what we are currently doing will take us to the next level.

maroonmania
03-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Tomorrow's game is the by far the biggest of this early season. A 2-2 week against APB and SD is a heck of a lot better than 1-3. A 3 loss week against this competition could really haunt us come selection time.

War Machine Dawg
03-08-2015, 12:21 AM
that's why I like Cohen. his teams have surprised the shit out of me time and time again. just when you think we don't have it, he pulls out wins when they are least expected. the times we didn't even make it to NE, we came so damned close when I didn't think we would even sniff it.

that's the sign of a good coach, IMO. but he needs to figure the O out. no more swac losses at the dude. totally unacceptable.

Totally agree. Even though he goes way overboard with it, Will James has a very valid point about how we approach offense. It's f'n awful. And Todd and his gang can say pitching, specifically starting pitching, is what's holding us back as a program all they want. But my eyes and the scoreboard tell me something completely different: It's the offense. They just don't want to hear that because of how it might reflect in small part on Cohen.