PDA

View Full Version : Is this "just baseball" or are we starting

Drugdog
03-07-2015, 12:25 AM
To see some issues with the team. I personally think it is a mini slump but would like to hear other opinions.

msstate7
03-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Concerned about the offense vs pitchers that throw strikes. Seems we've become dependent on free passes. I think collins getting back in the lineup will really help us take a leap forward

preachermatt83
03-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Concerned about the offense vs pitchers that throw strikes. Seems we've become dependent on free passes. I think collins getting back in the lineup will really help us take a leap forward

Agree completely.

ShotgunDawg
03-07-2015, 12:54 AM
We weren't as good as our start, and now this is just baseball. We are a nice team that will compete, but we simply lack the difference makers to make a real run this year. Look at it this way, we likely won't have a top 10 round draft pick this year unless someone uses a money saver on Seth Heck or Sexton performs really well and agrees to leave as a Sophomore eligible.

Texas A&M has 2 or 3 + a potential top 2 rounder next year, Arkansas has 2 + a 1st & 3rd rounder for next year, LSU has 3 or 4, Alabama has 2 or 3, Ole Miss doesn't really have anyone that I'm aware of unless Sikes is a money saver, & I don't believe Auburn has any.

We are a nice team this year, but Cohen's recruiting will start to show next year, if the MLB draft treats us well with our high school recruits.

The great thing is that we have an outstanding coaching staff that seems to get our players to play better than other teams coach's get theirs to, but, at some point, you need real Friday night starters and closers.

I'm a sunshine pumper in football, but not in baseball.

mstatefan91
03-07-2015, 03:46 AM
Always amazing to me. Two losses in a 50+ game season and people start losing their shit and downing the team.

Now if we lose the next two. I'll be worried as well

mstatefan91
03-07-2015, 03:48 AM
We weren't as good as our start, and now this is just baseball. We are a nice team that will compete, but we simply lack the difference makers to make a real run this year. Look at it this way, we likely won't have a top 10 round draft pick this year unless someone uses a money saver on Seth Heck or Sexton performs really well and agrees to leave as a Sophomore eligible.

Texas A&M has 2 or 3 + a potential top 2 rounder next year, Arkansas has 2 + a 1st & 3rd rounder for next year, LSU has 3 or 4, Alabama has 2 or 3, Ole Miss doesn't really have anyone that I'm aware of unless Sikes is a money saver, & I don't believe Auburn has any.

We are a nice team this year, but Cohen's recruiting will start to show next year, if the MLB draft treats us well with our high school recruits.

The great thing is that we have an outstanding coaching staff that seems to get our players to play better than other teams coach's get theirs to, but, at some point, you need real Friday night starters and closers.

I'm a sunshine pumper in football, but not in baseball.

We'll know more come SEC play. For now, keep your "we won't make a run" shtick to yourself.

basedog
03-07-2015, 04:16 AM
Amazes me as well with the loses how the "so call experts" panic and "dog" the team and players. All I know if a pitcher is on a good team or bad team, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays may look bad at the plate. Some of you guys make it sound like its so easy to be good and play good but yet we suck right now. Cohen is a good baseball coach and this team will be good in my opinion, it's early.

msstate7
03-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Amazes me as well with the loses how the "so call experts" panic and "dog" the team and players. All I know if a pitcher is on a good team or bad team, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays may look bad at the plate. Some of you guys make it sound like its so easy to be good and play good but yet we suck right now. Cohen is a good baseball coach and this team will be good in my opinion, it's early.
I don't think anyone in this thread has ripped our team or is in panic mode. I still think we can be a really good team and have a nice year, but I have concerns...

We depend on free passes.

We give up way too many free passes.

I'm not convinced fitts is a lock down closer.

We need a 3rd guy with pop to emerge. I think rea and collins will be fine.

99jc
03-07-2015, 07:32 AM
This ways a typical day for MSU sports....baseball team overrated early and the women's bb team just cant seem to get to the next level. and I agree we are not aggressive at the plate but that's what Cohen believes in.

MsStateBaseball
03-07-2015, 07:37 AM
We lost two games barely by one run each. We are slumping at the plate. I think cold weather is affecting us. Our3 big hitters coming in havent or couldn't hit, Holland, Hump and Collins. Holland is in a bad slump.

Cohen was pissed last night. Expect no one to watch strike 3 today. Wholesale changes might be in store.

Smitty
03-07-2015, 07:55 AM
We know what the problem is, it's been the same for six years.

Cohens overall approach to the offense! The hitting guru cannot coach hitting. This is proven. Over and over.

Takes 3 years to get anything out of Renfroe.
Humphreys appears to be on the same track.
CT does well with his talent as a freshman until he is changed into a awful swinged version of himself and becomes Slaps McGee.
Supposed superstar in Daryl Norris can't do anything.
Demarcus Henderson can't ever get going.

Jarrod Parks
Nick Vickerson
Trey Porter
Alex Detz
Brett Pirtle
Seth Heck

Whats the common denominator on most of our best hitters? JUCO. JUCO. JUCO. JUCO.

We have Adam Frazier and Gavin Collins and thats it coming into this year that have panned out from the jump. This is what I've been saying for years. Our approach to the offensive side of the game, be it swing coaching, philosophy, etc. has got to change. Bring in a damn hitting coach that knows what he is doing. Reassign Mingione.

Political Hack
03-07-2015, 07:59 AM
until we shell premium pitching I'll have questions. this weekend was going to be the most telling to me and we're not off to a good start.

Smitty
03-07-2015, 08:01 AM
until we shell premium pitching I'll have questions. this weekend was going to be the most telling to me and we're not off to a good start.

Agreed

Drugdog
03-07-2015, 08:02 AM
We lost two games barely by one run each. We are slumping at the plate. I think cold weather is affecting us. Our3 big hitters coming in havent or couldn't hit, Holland, Hump and Collins. Holland is in a bad slump.

Cohen was pissed last night. Expect no one to watch strike 3 today. Wholesale changes might be in store.

Can you tell us what you saw-Cohen is pissed-??

MsStateBaseball
03-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Well, he was pissed Tuesday for what they didn't do, so I'm pretty sure he was pissed last night. 6 of 7 strikeouts were looking, that's not aggressive. I assume no video too bc he was too angry. He expects a lot out of this team.

Schultzy
03-07-2015, 08:48 AM
We are a good team, the other teams pitchers are on baseball scholarship too. My everyday lineup will get us top three in the SEC and a host.

Heck ss
Robson cf
Collins c
Cody Brown rf

Rooker dh
Smith lf
Rea 1b

Gridley 3b
Holland 2b

One could toy with the bottom four but the top five need AB's. If someone gets hot you might consider moving them up but I've always believed a hot hitter should stay where he is in the lineup while on a streak.

Smitty
03-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Well, he was pissed Tuesday for what they didn't do, so I'm pretty sure he was pissed last night. 6 of 7 strikeouts were looking, that's not aggressive. I assume no video too bc he was too angry. He expects a lot out of this team.

Are we to assume that Cohen preaches an aggressive approach at the plate?

C222
03-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Are we to assume that Cohen preaches an aggressive approach at the plate?

Looking forward to you getting banned again this season.

shoeless joe
03-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Nobody "shells" premium pitching...but I do agree we need to show something against upper tier arms.

Smitty
03-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Looking forward to you getting banned again this season.

Go back to Genes

shoeless joe
03-07-2015, 09:12 AM

Cohens overall approach to the offense! The hitting guru cannot coach hitting. This is proven. Over and over.

CT does well with his talent as a freshman until he is changed into a awful swinged version of himself and becomes Slaps McGee.

Jarrod Parks
Nick Vickerson
Trey Porter
Alex Detz
Brett Pirtle
Seth Heck

Whats the common denominator on most of our best hitters? JUCO. JUCO. JUCO. JUCO.

We have Adam Frazier and Gavin Collins and thats it coming into this year that have panned out from the jump. This is what I've been saying for years. Our approach to the offensive side of the game, be it swing coaching, philosophy, etc. has got to change. Bring in a damn hitting coach that knows what he is doing. Reassign Mingione.

CT collapsed his back side on almost every swing, as well as chasing pitch after pitch above the letters...I guess Cohen coached that?

Renfroe was quite possibly the most raw player I've ever seen at a D1 school. Obviously you don't understand just how behind, from a coaching standpoint, he was when he got to campus. Everything he did in high school was pure talent. His approach was horrible, and it showed against college pitching. He steadily improved, and with the good coaching he recieved here he became a top pick in the draft...too bad Cohen sucks.

Demarcus Henderson, one of my favorites on that WS team, did not really have SEC level talent on the offensive side. He actually got a lot out of what he was given and had some extremely clutch HUGE at bats for us during his career...that damn Cohen.

Parks got better his second year here...guess that was just luck.

Porter was a left handed Wes rea without the ability to go oppo.

MsStateBaseball
03-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Yes he is aggressive. He was an aggressive hitter himself.

You will see changes today, maybe in lineup but at the plate. He is tired of it.

Smitty
03-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Porter didn't K. I guess I'm wrong Joe and we have developed a ton of great 3-4 year hitters*

A player gets better in year Two? Odd.

Cohen can recruit. He croots his ass off, especially those JUCO finds. Butch is awesome. If we could just get someone that really knew hitting we'd be one of those elite programs. But we don't have that right now from the approach, to the mechanics, to the in-game... We don't have that.

Political Hack
03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Nobody "shells" premium pitching...but I do agree we need to show something against upper tier arms.

we shelled an ok guy against Vandy last year, but I get your point. I just want to see capable bats against quality pitching before we get to SEC play, but at this point we're just going to have to wait to see how we do against SEC teams.

The good news is that pitching has been much deeper than I expected based on the preseason conversations. The bats have been the opposite though. I just wonder if once Cohen settles on more of an everyday type lineup if they'll be more consistent.

dickiedawg
03-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Clearly a troll job. Banning trolls is the one principle this board was founded on, someone step up and enforce it.

basedog
03-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Standing at the plate taking strike three is the hitters problem, for that matter taking strike two is the hitters problem, I'd bet whatever that John Cohen did not give them the take sign! Quite blaming Cohen for hitters standing at the plate and taking strike three. This team will compete and win a bunch of games.

Coach34
03-07-2015, 11:32 AM
There is nothing about coaching that makes a hitter take a called 3rd strike- not one damn thing.

The hitter is up there in control of everything in the AB- especially with 2 strikes- there are no signs at that point. Just pointless bitching going on here.

War Machine Dawg
03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
we shelled an ok guy against Vandy last year, but I get your point. I just want to see capable bats against quality pitching before we get to SEC play, but at this point we're just going to have to wait to see how we do against SEC teams.

The good news is that pitching has been much deeper than I expected based on the preseason conversations. The bats have been the opposite though. I just wonder if once Cohen settles on more of an everyday type lineup if they'll be more consistent.

Surprise, surprise.**** Cue the "we'll be better offensively this season" club.

tcdog70
03-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Seems to Me our good hitters jump on first pitch fastballs. But we have some hitters that like to look at pitches. When we play the other teams ace He eats up batters that look at strike one. I wish we would have let Hump hit away. Giving away an out when you only have three is bad. You are rolling the dice either way. How about a hit and run. He should have let Robson steal then he would have scored instead of getting throw out at third. It is all if and buts.

engie
03-07-2015, 12:09 PM
We've gone from greenlighting 3-0 to taking a crapload of first pitch strikes right down the middle in the matter of the last 2 weeks. The problem seems to be across the board right now. Let's see if an adjustment gets made today.

But let's not go overboard. As of right now, we've got the 13th best RPG offense in college baseball and the 11th best RPG pitching/defense. We're #2 in the country in scoring margin. We have hit a little lull here -- but IMO it will be shortlived. Just need one or two of our power guys to get going. The only guys that have been hitting are the singles guys -- and that doesn't lead to much run production.

Saltydog
03-07-2015, 12:25 PM
we've lost them to and the lack of offense against very questionable pitching (mainly uabp)..........

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 12:31 PM
If we all want the program to get where we think it needs to be, we need to start having freshman pitchers coming in and competing for weekend rotation spots year after year. The only issue to me with our program is frontline starting pitching ready to pitch straight out of high school. I understand that it's a huge jumb, but there's other elite programs in America that have guys coming in and compete and perform at a high-level during their freshman year. We have too many guys that are possible bullpen guys but we put them in the starting rotation. Need to have clear-cut starters. Let's be honest, Preston Brown is pretty good, but he's probably a midweek guy. We were also debating last week whether or not Vance Tatum would be a bullpen guy or a starter. We should know in mid January who are three probable starters should be for the season or at least the opening weekend.

RougeDawg
03-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Jarrod Parks
Nick Vickerson
Trey Porter
Alex Detz
Brett Pirtle
Seth Heck

You don't say?** better watch out. The Cohen posse will be here to call you an idiot and attempt to slander your name because you have pointed out the obvious. Look at OM last year and this, what is the main difference? It's essentially the same for every team with and without a dedicated hitting coach.

RougeDawg
03-07-2015, 01:26 PM
CT collapsed his back side on almost every swing, as well as chasing pitch after pitch above the letters...I guess Cohen coached that?

Renfroe was quite possibly the most raw player I've ever seen at a D1 school. Obviously you don't understand just how behind, from a coaching standpoint, he was when he got to campus. Everything he did in high school was pure talent. His approach was horrible, and it showed against college pitching. He steadily improved, and with the good coaching he recieved here he became a top pick in the draft...too bad Cohen sucks.

Demarcus Henderson, one of my favorites on that WS team, did not really have SEC level talent on the offensive side. He actually got a lot out of what he was given and had some extremely clutch HUGE at bats for us during his career...that damn Cohen.

Parks got better his second year here...guess that was just luck.

Porter was a left handed Wes rea without the ability to go oppo.

Obviously you keep up with what you read but leave out key details. When did Rendroe start raking? Was it during a season at State or a summer league with dedicated hitting coaches? DMarc's swing was never coached. You sure you were watching us play?

Hitting coaches teach technique to prevent reverse C and how to go oppo. Every point you attempted to make shows that we lack any type of instructional/mechanical hitting coach. Thank you for making them.

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 01:35 PM
You don't say?** better watch out. The Cohen posse will be here to call you an idiot and attempt to slander your name because you have pointed out the obvious. Look at OM last year and this, what is the main difference? It's essentially the same for every team with and without a dedicated hitting coach.

You two are perfect for each other.

preachermatt83
03-07-2015, 02:51 PM
If we all want the program to get where we think it needs to be, we need to start having freshman pitchers coming in and competing for weekend rotation spots year after year. The only issue to me with our program is frontline starting pitching ready to pitch straight out of high school. I understand that it's a huge jumb, but there's other elite programs in America that have guys coming in and compete and perform at a high-level during their freshman year. We have too many guys that are possible bullpen guys but we put them in the starting rotation. Need to have clear-cut starters. Let's be honest, Preston Brown is pretty good, but he's probably a midweek guy. We were also debating last week whether or not Vance Tatum would be a bullpen guy or a starter. We should know in mid January who are three probable starters should be for the season or at least the opening weekend.

You and I agree on almost everything on ED, but I think im gonna have to disagree with ya here. I think our pitching is outstanding this year. We need a new approach at the plate. If we were aggressive at the plate we would be a Omaha type team.

ShotgunDawg
03-07-2015, 03:06 PM

This guy gets it...

How we do that?

We have to win big recruiting battles for the 3rd-5th round caliber draft pick that views playing in the SEC as good business decision that could propel him into the 1st round in 3 years.

There are about 15-20 of these types of kids across the country each year. Vanderbilt will take 3 or 4 of them, Florida, and Stanford will take 1 or 2 each, and then the other 10-15 are on the market.

In this past recruiting class, we dominated this market with Riley, Fenter, Small, and possibly Ford. We dominated it, and, if these players value education enough to demand a million plus dollars in the draft, there is a chance we will have a national championship caliber team in 2 years.

Those kids have to value playing MSU at or above 1 million dollars though.

RougeDawg
03-07-2015, 03:08 PM
You two are perfect for each other.

So you can honestly say A&M and OM's offensive production was better without their hitting coach? The same hitting coach? My bad that pointing out the obvious and I feel for those who cannot see it. You sound just like the RR "moral victory" crowd. A spade is a spade no matter how you "hope" or "want" it to be something else.

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
So you can honestly say A&M and OM's offensive production was better without their hitting coach? The same hitting coach? My bad that pointing out the obvious and I feel for those who cannot see it. You sound just like the RR "moral victory" crowd. A spade is a spade no matter how you "hope" or "want" it to be something else.

My post was off topic. You and Smitty can't have a discussion about baseball without disparaging the posters you don't agree with at some point. You guys aren't true baseball people. You are beneath the game.

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I need a little bit larger sample size against good competition. We will have two guys (Tatum and Sexton) that have never started an SEC weekend. We also don't have the backend of the bullpen like we have had the past couple of years.

You and I agree on almost everything on ED, but I think im gonna have to disagree with ya here. I think our pitching is outstanding this year. We need a new approach at the plate. If we were aggressive at the plate we would be a Omaha type team.

RougeDawg
03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
My post was off topic. You and Smitty can't have a discussion about baseball without disparaging the posters you don't agree with at some point. You guys aren't true baseball people. You are beneath the game.

Hilarious. I've forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know. That's why I have the ability to notice things like players becoming better hitters over summers as opposed to under Cohen, and call it like it is. I'm sorry if you dont have the ability to notice such obvious things.

Cohen does a masterful job at managing the game as a whole and the situational aspects. I and many other on here , have not seen much coaching of swing mechanics and approach. It's obvious that someone has worked with Wes Reanin the offseason, the same way many of the hitters under Cohen have improved their hitting during summer seasons elsewhere. It's no secret that the various summer leagues do a ton of teaching and work on mechanics. It's not an actual slightest Cohen that out players hitting does not change much for the better. I have been wanting us to hire a dedicated hitting coach the last few years. I've seen and witnessed what they can do for a team. Look at the Bears. They hadbthebtalentnto make omaha for the last decade, they just never got the full potential out of them until they had the full complement of coaches.

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 03:36 PM
So mad you can't even type. Douchebag

engie
03-07-2015, 03:40 PM

Who is this "same hitting coach"? Or did you just make that up?

Players have UNLIMITED time to dedicate to baseball in summers playing away from everything and everyone they know -- not having school to go to -- and not being controlled by practice time limits. It's hilarious to me that you constantly believe coaches actually have time to make swing changes while even remotely following practice time rules. MSU is still under a bit of a microscope with the ongoing lawsuits claiming that very thing. There is not enough time or people present to actually make swing changes during the season. And the NCAA doesn't allow for that individual work outside of practice time. It's a catch .22.

Either way -- asking for and expecting people to make swing changes during the actual season just shows how much about baseball that you don't actually know...

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 03:42 PM
I agree that we need to hire a hitting coach.

engie
03-07-2015, 03:50 PM
I agree that we need to hire a hitting coach.

I'd be OK with Mingione moving on as well. He's recruited extremely well here -- but he isn't the big name for the position that IMO we need, and I'm not sure he brings much in the form of actual coaching instruction...

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm not a mingione either.

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I doubt we see him leave, unless he leaves for a head job at an NAIA, DII, DIII, or smaller level college. He's a good recruiter with a good, energetic personality. He was with Cohen at Kentucky, but we do need to add some new blood to the program. Great coaches understand when to make a move that makes the program better. Average coaches don't want to fire or reassign their coaches because they are buddies.

preachermatt83
03-07-2015, 04:12 PM
I need a little bit larger sample size against good competition. We will have two guys (Tatum and Sexton) that have never started an SEC weekend. We also don't have the backend of the bullpen like we have had the past couple of years.

neither have the "freshmen you want to come in and be a weekend starter" Not arguing, I like you as a poster but just showing you that your logic is skewed on this matter.

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Agreed to an extent. I will tell you that the word (back in the fall) from someone on the team is that our pitching was going to really have to step it up for us to compete at a high level. Butch Thompson also basically said it without saying it in interviews with Swindoll and other media guys. So far, they have answered the call. I just hope that it continues when we play better competition starting with Alabama next weekend.

Coach34
03-07-2015, 04:30 PM
And Young has yet to throw a pitch also

Jacksondevildog
03-07-2015, 04:32 PM
As I've posted for weeks, Paul young could be the difference in us hosting and being a 3 seed at Southern Cal. "Electric" is the word that I've heard.
And Young has yet to throw a pitch also

Todd4State
03-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff was really bad because our hitters had their heads up their ass. We deserved to lose that game. The pitcher for San Diego we lost to is a really good pitcher who just shut down Texas. I can live with only getting one run off of that guy even though I'm not happy that we only got one run. We scored four today off of a pitcher with an ERA of 1.60 something coming into today.

Good points have been made in this thread by a lot of people, but my two cents:

Shotgun is right about us needing legit guys to start as starting pitchers on the weekend. I think Tatum is that kind of a talent. I was kind of frustrated to find out that he was in the bullpen to start the year. Dakota Hudson is that kind of a talent as well. Paul Young- maybe. I want to see how he performs before I anoint him, but I do like the rumors that I am hearing. To win a NC in Omaha you need a minimum of two Stratton type starters and a good closer- and then maybe even one more guy that can come out of the bullpen like a Girodo. Shotgun is also right about us having those kinds of guys coming in next years recruiting class. And unless we have horrible luck we should get some- and I'll even go on a limb and say most of them.

As far as the hitting- taking pitches down the middle obviously have nothing to do with hitting mechanics. That's plate discipline. If a pitch is close with two strikes and you don't like it or it's not a good pitch to hit, you have to foul it off. The reason we walk a lot is not because we are passive- it's because we have good plate discipline. Passive teams do not have 15 more walks than strike outs on the season. Walking is not the worst thing in the world- and it's a hell of a lot better than striking out. Against Pine Bluff, we gave away too many at bats in the first four innings, and then in the middle of the first game against San Diego. I don't think that will become a norm for us though. Slumps happen over the course of a season and you just have to try to get back to what was working before.

Probably the most difficult thing for a college team to acquire is power hitting. And it's because MLB takes most all of the ones that are developed- leaving raw players like Hunter Renfroe for the rest of us. Heck, Ole Miss's hitters last year it took them FOUR years to figure it out- the other three years those guys were in college they sucked. Shotgun is right about us needing those pitchers to value MSU baseball more than a million- but honestly IMO I think we need Greg Pickett and Austin Riley to value MSU baseball more than a million as much or more than those pitchers.

Now, that by default means that guys that can run and hit for a high average are the easiest to acquire for a college team. And that's why I advocate using speed in as many ways as we can to score runs. If we can bunt for hits, steal bases, use hit and running, and etc. we can create runs and that may be the difference between winning a Friday night game or not. The key is the players have to buy into it and they have to be really good at it. Studies have shown where the high average zone is on the infield and studies have shown that we have to be successful on 65-75% of our stolen base attempts to create runs depending on which study you use. Using our speed guys, we can turn their singles, walks, HBP into doubles and triples essentially by successfully putting them into scoring position- without sacrificing an out.

Defense is something I'm always big on and that is a constant. That's more about effort and putting time in than anything, and IMO that is the easiest aspect of the game to teach and be good at.

Todd4State
03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
And as far as Mingione- he is a good recruiter, but I think he is OK as a hitting coach. Allegedly he's good at teaching bunting and he has a DVD of trick bunts that I will be sending to Smitty for Christmas. I was actually surprised at all of the places he has gotten us into since Burroughs left. He's not Godwin.

Cohen is probably the best hitting coach on the staff to be honest with you.

When Western Carolina is looking for a coach, they'll probably come after him.

Homedawg
03-07-2015, 07:26 PM
Hilarious. I've forgotten more baseball than you'll ever know. That's why I have the ability to notice things like players becoming better hitters over summers as opposed to under Cohen, and call it like it is. I'm sorry if you dont have the ability to notice such obvious things.

Cohen does a masterful job at managing the game as a whole and the situational aspects. I and many other on here , have not seen much coaching of swing mechanics and approach. It's obvious that someone has worked with Wes Reanin the offseason, the same way many of the hitters under Cohen have improved their hitting during summer seasons elsewhere. It's no secret that the various summer leagues do a ton of teaching and work on mechanics. It's not an actual slightest Cohen that out players hitting does not change much for the better. I have been wanting us to hire a dedicated hitting coach the last few years. I've seen and witnessed what they can do for a team. Look at the Bears. They hadbthebtalentnto make omaha for the last decade, they just never got the full potential out of them until they had the full complement of coaches.

Hahahaha. This is comical bullshit. I know I seen it, and trust me, he knows the game. I've read your bull shit and you don't know shit as I've said before. But keep spouting, and maybe you can get a couple of followers to believe half of what you say.

Drugdog
03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Well, I've have quit a few opinions to sift thru.

Glad we won today. Need to start another streak.

Thanks for the input fellows.

Coach34
03-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Hahahaha. This is comical bullshit. I know I seen it, and trust me, he knows the game. I've read your bull shit and you don't know shit as I've said before. But keep spouting, and maybe you can get a couple of followers to believe half of what you say.

I Seen It is probably the most knowledgeable all around baseball guy on the board. I may know more about hitting- maybe. But his pitching and defense knowledge is SEC coaching level.

shoeless joe
03-07-2015, 11:39 PM

There is one rule about baseball that is universal...the guy that claims to know the most typically knows the least. Someone that really knows the game doesn't have to tell anyone that they know the game.

JohnnyQuid
03-08-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm not a mingione either.

This is kinda funny, i wanted him gone last year. Got drunk in a baseball thread during the SR at UL-L and called him butch in the half-coma i was in. and ended up getting banned for a month over it. was kinda shitty. ha (you had no part in that dont think just brought up old memory, thats all)

RougeDawg
03-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Who is this "same hitting coach"? Or did you just make that up?

Players have UNLIMITED time to dedicate to baseball in summers playing away from everything and everyone they know -- not having school to go to -- and not being controlled by practice time limits. It's hilarious to me that you constantly believe coaches actually have time to make swing changes while even remotely following practice time rules. MSU is still under a bit of a microscope with the ongoing lawsuits claiming that very thing. There is not enough time or people present to actually make swing changes during the season. And the NCAA doesn't allow for that individual work outside of practice time. It's a catch .22.

Either way -- asking for and expecting people to make swing changes during the actual season just shows how much about baseball that you don't actually know...

Where did I say I expected them to make changes during the season? There you go again with the engie twist trying to make something up to discredit. You ever heard of fall ball? They not supposed to work on their swing then as well? They have about 6-7 other months of the year where they sent playing "season" games to obtain some hitting instruction.

And no they didn't have sand hitting cosch. I vaguely remembered during the super regional the announcers talking about the hitting cosches and they were some of the best in ncaa. ULL hired Deggs away from A&M and the baggies offensive production fell off. Now Goodwin is at ECU or some other Carolina school.

They showed each teams offensive outputs before and after the changes of hitting coaches was made and it was pretty dramatic. That's the point I'm making about having a dedicated hitting guy.

tcdog70
03-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Damn I'm glad Coach knows how much baseball everybody on this board knows. I seen it knows the most, except for Coach himself.Such a asinine statement. Y'all might know baseball, but how in the **** do you know what other people know?

War Machine Dawg
03-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Damn I'm glad Coach knows how much baseball everybody on this board knows. I seen it knows the most, except for Coach himself.Such a asinine statement. Y'all might know baseball, but how in the **** do you know what other people know?

Because C34 and I Seen It are friends in "real life."

engie
03-08-2015, 02:33 AM

That is simple. It's game insightfulness and perspective. That's obvious to some and probably oblivious to others...

If you haven't figured out by now that Iseenit knows the game of baseball --- you are in the wrong group...

Don't bother telling me how much you know -- show me how much you know...

I seen it dawg
03-08-2015, 09:31 AM

I'm smarter than you.

I seen it dawg
03-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Where did I say I expected them to make changes during the season? There you go again with the engie twist trying to make something up to discredit. You ever heard of fall ball? They not supposed to work on their swing then as well? They have about 6-7 other months of the year where they sent playing "season" games to obtain some hitting instruction.

And no they didn't have sand hitting cosch. I vaguely remembered during the super regional the announcers talking about the hitting cosches and they were some of the best in ncaa. ULL hired Deggs away from A&M and the baggies offensive production fell off. Now Goodwin is at ECU or some other Carolina school.

They showed each teams offensive outputs before and after the changes of hitting coaches was made and it was pretty dramatic. That's the point I'm making about having a dedicated hitting guy.

Im waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy smarter than you.

Smitty
03-08-2015, 09:46 AM
This has become clownish. Breaking out the term "knowing the game" is such a cop-out in baseball discussions. It's used to end debate not continue it. (See Joe Morgan-sabermetrics)

I seen it dawg
03-08-2015, 12:53 PM
This has become clownish. Breaking out the term "knowing the game" is such a cop-out in baseball discussions. It's used to end debate not continue it. (See Joe Morgan-sabermetrics)

You never "debate". It's your way and no other all the time. You make some good point and are right on some things but you can never acknowledge another position as maybe being better than yours and the fact you might be wrong occasionally. Your maturity level in discussions and what you perceive as your depth of and astounding baseball acumen is what is clownish.

I guess you and will james "played" on the same baseball team...

MSUDawg4Life
03-08-2015, 01:33 PM
You never "debate". It's your way and no other all the time. You make some good point and are right on some things but you can never acknowledge another position as maybe being better than yours and the fact you might be wrong occasionally. Your maturity level in discussions and what you perceive as your depth of and astounding baseball acumen is what is clownish.

I guess you and will james "played" on the same baseball team...

Ouch!