PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 09:28 PM
is with the Padres MLB team right now. Today he went 0-2 1 Run.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Better enjoy it this month.Myers, jup, and kemp on big league club

Homedawg
03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
He's not on the 40 man he's not in the sights of San diego.

Smitty
03-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Better enjoy it this month.Myers, jup, and kemp on big league club

Not the most durable players

smootness
03-05-2015, 10:28 PM
If he has another good year, he should be up by September.

Todd4State
03-05-2015, 11:03 PM
They're just trying to see what he might do against MLB pitching and they're trying to also expose him to MLB pitching in the anticipation that he will be called up at some point in the year.

He'll probably start out in AAA.

MsStateBaseball
03-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Those older guys are trade bait by All Star break.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
Big year ahead for Renfroe- curious to see if he can meet the challenge at the plate

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Those older guys are trade bait by All Star break.

I don't think the Padres stole the Marlins tactics but maybe

dawgs
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
I don't think the Padres stole the Marlins tactics but maybe

Marlins and Padres will be wild card contenders this year.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Marlins and Padres will be wild card contenders this year.

I think so too... Well if their OF defense doesn't cost them. Jup and kemp patrolling petco doesn't seem a great idea. Not sure how Myers is defensively

smootness
03-06-2015, 11:04 AM
I think the Padres will disappoint. Aside from the fact that their pieces don't really go together, it's proven that going our to make a bunch of trades and sign a bunch of FAs doesn't work. See Toronto a few years ago.

War Machine Dawg
03-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I think so too... Well if their OF defense doesn't cost them. Jup and kemp patrolling petco doesn't seem a great idea. Not sure how Myers is defensively

WTF? Kemp has been one of the elite defensive OFs for years. He takes away a ridiculous amount of hits. J-Up should be fine moving back over to RF. He's still got plenty of speed to cover ground.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
WTF? Kemp has been one of the elite defensive OFs for years. He takes away a ridiculous amount of hits. J-Up should be fine moving back over to RF. He's still got plenty of speed to cover ground.

The trade for kemp was almost voided bc of arthritis in both hips. I don't think kemp will play a solid cf this year, but I've been wrong lots of times

Smitty
03-06-2015, 11:56 AM
WTF? Kemp has been one of the elite defensive OFs for years.

Completely wrong

starkvegasdawg
03-06-2015, 12:09 PM
I can't believe we have a Renfroe thread and this fact has not been brought up yet...he's a 5 tool player.

dawgs
03-06-2015, 02:52 PM
I think the Padres will disappoint. Aside from the fact that their pieces don't really go together, it's proven that going our to make a bunch of trades and sign a bunch of FAs doesn't work. See Toronto a few years ago.

Their pitching staff will be top 5 in the league. Not nats good, but it's the next tier. And now they might actually have some offense to scores runs.

And I know the OF D might cost a few runs, but I think there will be a net gain.

smootness
03-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Kemp has never been elite and has usually been clearly below-average. And the last two years, he's taken a nosedive into unbelievably awful territory.

Their pitching will be good, but their numbers will be worse this year because of the defense. And that offense will be worse than people think. One of their big OF acquisitions OPS'd at barely over .600 last year.

They have no one in the starting lineup who is better than average defensively...literally no one. They will get decent offense from catcher, and good offense from Upton and Kemp when he's healthy. But they're starting a below-average defensive LF, a CF who was slightly below-average defensively in right field, and an atrocious defensive RF.

I just don't see that coming together well.

dawgs
03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I think it's pretty unfair to call Myers a barely .600 OPS player. He had a slow start, which can happen with the best players, then injured his wrist. Wrist/hand injuries typically linger for awhile even after a player returns to the lineup, so that clearly had an effect on his hitting after he came back. With a full offseason to continue to heal up, I'd expect him to be closer to the 2013 version than the 2014 version.

smootness
03-06-2015, 03:47 PM
I think it's pretty unfair to call Myers a barely .600 OPS player. He had a slow start, which can happen with the best players, then injured his wrist. Wrist/hand injuries typically linger for awhile even after a player returns to the lineup, so that clearly had an effect on his hitting after he came back. With a full offseason to continue to heal up, I'd expect him to be closer to the 2013 version than the 2014 version.

That's fair, but sometimes players develop bad habits when trying to battle through injuries as well, a la Heyward.

I definitely think Myers will be better the was last year, but I doubt he gets back to 2013 form. You have to factor in the natural adjustments pitchers always make after a guy comes up as well.

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Kemp was the #1 rated player in baseball in 2012. Wil Myers was the #1 rated prospect 2-3 years ago. Middlebrooks was so hot the Red Sox traded Youkilis to free up 3b for him. All three of these guys were the darlings on their teams 3 years ago. They will have huge chips on their shoulders.

smootness
03-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Kemp was the #1 rated player in baseball in 2012. Wil Myers was the #1 rated prospect 2-3 years ago. Middlebrooks was so hot the Red Sox traded Youkilis to free up 3b for him. All three of these guys were the darlings on their teams 3 years ago. They will have huge chips on their shoulders.

Eh, that's not likely to matter. They all also have track records over the last year or two that is not positive.

Middlebrooks has become garbage. At this point, it's not about him getting back to where he was, it's about him trying to salvage anything left of his career.

Kemp is just brittle; there's little he can do about that.

And Myers can definitely turn it around, but this is a big year for him. The track record of guys coming out of the gate hot, falling off a cliff, then coming all the way back isn't great.

dawgs
03-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Eh, that's not likely to matter. They all also have track records over the last year or two that is not positive.

Middlebrooks has become garbage. At this point, it's not about him getting back to where he was, it's about him trying to salvage anything left of his career.

Kemp is just brittle; there's little he can do about that.

And Myers can definitely turn it around, but this is a big year for him. The track record of guys coming out of the gate hot, falling off a cliff, then coming all the way back isn't great.

I'd say when a recoverable injury was a big part of a subpar sophomore campaign, then the bounce back rates are much higher. Middlebrooks could always be a post-hype sleeper too, especially getting out of the Boston microscope. Some guys just aren't mentally made to handle that kinda media and fan focus for 7 straight months.

smootness
03-06-2015, 07:17 PM
But Middlebrooks didn't just have a down year. He had an incredibly anemic year. It was so far away from decent, I doubt he even gets much of a chance at 3B unless Solarte is just as bad.

There's a very good chance the Padres' IF is as bad as any in baseball this year. And while their OF will probably hit pretty well, it will be equally as bad defensively.

I just don't see that adding up to a good team. They'll be ok, but I don't think they'll be much better than .500.