Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Gridley
Rea
Smith
Lovelady
Holland

Tough to leave out vickerson and brown but if he's ready Collins has to at least dh. That leaves out Rooker as well. Hump better get it going soon though.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Based on what you've seen so far. Let's assume it's vs a rhp

For me:

Robson - let's see if he can handle it
Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Gridley
Rea
Smith
Lovelady
Holland

Tough to leave out vickerson and brown but if he's ready Collins has to at least dh. That leaves out Rooker as well. Hump better get it going soon though.

Probably too right handed...

L
R
R
R
R
R
R
R
L

smootness
03-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Collins is going to catch.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Heck (r) -- SS
Robson (l) -- cf
Collins (r) -- c
Rea (r) -- 1b
Holland (l) -- 2b
Gridley (r) -- 3b
Reynolds (l) -- dh
Smith (r) -- rf
Vickerson (l) -- LF

smootness
03-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I think Humphreys has to be in the lineup regardless of who is pitching. His potential is too good, we need him to keep seeing pitching so he can get it going.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 09:37 PM
I think Humphreys has to be in the lineup regardless of who is pitching. His potential is too good, we need him to keep seeing pitching so he can get it going.

Dh vs lhp.

I don't want him in the OF

smootness
03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm saying I would put him in the lineup against righties, too. His potential is too good to only hit him against lefties.

Irondawg
03-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Yeah mine is probably too righty heavy for Cohen but Reynolds hasn't shown me enough to force him in unless you want to sit gridley. We really lack a lh power bat don't we

preachermatt83
03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
I have 2 lineups that would be my weekend lineups pretty regularly.

Lineup 1
heck SS
gridley 3B
brown LF
Collins C
rea 1B
hump DH
vickerson RF
Holland 2B
Robson CF

Lineup 2

Heck SS
Gridley 3B
Brown RF
Collins DH
Rea 1B
Hump LF
Lovelady C
Robson CF
Holland 2B

Smitty
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Heck SS
Collins C
Smith RF
Humphreys DH
Rooker LF
Holland 2B
Rea 1B
Gridley 3B
Robson CF

THAT is the MF lineup.

justwin
03-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Heck SS
Collins C
Smith RF
Humphreys DH
Rooker LF
Holland 2B
Rea 1B
Gridley 3B
Robson CF

THAT is the MF lineup.

dam that is the MF'ing lineup. Nicely done. I really like the combo of Hump and Rooker and haven't thought about it that way before. I'd probably have Rea 4-6 though.

Todd4State
03-05-2015, 11:07 PM
1. Heck SS
2. Gridley 2B
3. Collins C
4. Humphreys LF
5. Rooker DH
6. Robson CF
7. Rea 1B
8. Spruill 3B
9. Smith RF

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
1. Heck SS
2. Gridley 2B
3. Collins C
4. Humphreys LF
5. Rooker DH
6. Robson CF
7. Rea 1B
8. Spruill 3B
9. Smith RF

You've lost your damn mind with Spruill.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2015, 11:43 PM
1. Robson - CF
2. Heck - SS
3. Collins - C
4. Hump - LF
5. Rooker - DH
6. Holland - 3B
7. Rea - 1B
8. Smith - RF
9. Gridley - 2B

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 12:01 AM
You've lost your damn mind with Spruill.

Third base is a hole for us. Do you want the guy that walks but can't hit in Reynolds? Do you want the struggling John Holland- who is hitting worse than Spruill in at second base while forcing Gridley somewhat out of position and thus weakening us slightly defensively? Or do you want the veteran but struggling Matthew Britton who has the worst stats of any of the third basemen. Spruill is hitting for a higher average, has a higher slugging percentage, and more extra base hits than the others.

I'm basically going off of stats.

There is a reason why Austin Riley will be our starting third baseman should he come to school next year.

Smitty
03-06-2015, 12:10 AM
John Holland will hit SEC pitching far better than Matt Squirrel.. Prep for that. My lineup is the go out there and HIT Conference pitching lineup.

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 12:48 AM
John Holland will hit SEC pitching far better than Matt Squirrel.. Prep for that. My lineup is the go out there and HIT Conference pitching lineup.

Perhaps. Right now third base is a revolving door and no one has stepped up as of now. Including Spruill.

War Machine Dawg
03-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Third base is a hole for us. Do you want the guy that walks but can't hit in Reynolds? Do you want the struggling John Holland- who is hitting worse than Spruill in at second base while forcing Gridley somewhat out of position and thus weakening us slightly defensively? Or do you want the veteran but struggling Matthew Britton who has the worst stats of any of the third basemen. Spruill is hitting for a higher average, has a higher slugging percentage, and more extra base hits than the others.

I'm basically going off of stats.

There is a reason why Austin Riley will be our starting third baseman should he come to school next year.

I'm much more willing to give the guy who's been an elite player at every level a chance to win the job and work his way out of it than I am to hand it over to a freshman who's looked like garbage so far. You'd rather go with the unknown quantity. Yeah, Holland's struggling. But his track record says he'll figure it out and be a serious baller.

If he doesn't work, I'd go with Britton. Sure, we sacrifice offense with him. But he's by far the best defensive option. Or maybe we could do what makes the most sense of all - try Hump at 3B. He was recruited as a 3B, if memory serves. Then you free up LF for Rooker/Brown/Vickerson, getting more of your best hitters into the lineup.

Irondawg
03-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Whereas I was once optimistic that our problem was too many hitters, the reality is looking more like we have too many guys that are the same hitter and they all play 3B or COF. I'm not sure there is really that much difference in Brown, Vickerson, Smith in the OF and Spruill, Reynolds, Gridley, Holland in the IF with Britton the weakest hitter and has honestly probably about played himself out of the conversation. Rooker and Humphries give you some power potential in the COF/DH spot but you lose some plate discipline, speed and defense.

On the IF guys I'm also not sure how to rate them all defensively.

Gridley has earned the PT until he loses it in my book. Humpreys is the guy we need to become an xbh threat and run producer so I'd give him a few more weeks to earn/lose that spot. To me he DH's unless you want to get Rooker's bat in there (assuming he's worth than Hump defensively). and if we keep never hitting XBH then we need to roll the dice with Rooker. Right now I'd give Holland, Smith and Brown most of the other PT

vs RH:

Robson
Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Brown
Rea
Holland
Smith
Gridley

vs LH

Gridley
Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Rooker
Smith
Rea
Holland/Spruill/Britton
Robson (if robson looks terrible vs LH maybe Smith could play CF)

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 01:26 AM
I'm much more willing to give the guy who's been an elite player at every level a chance to win the job and work his way out of it than I am to hand it over to a freshman who's looked like garbage so far. You'd rather go with the unknown quantity. Yeah, Holland's struggling. But his track record says he'll figure it out and be a serious baller.

If he doesn't work, I'd go with Britton. Sure, we sacrifice offense with him. But he's by far the best defensive option. Or maybe we could do what makes the most sense of all - try Hump at 3B. He was recruited as a 3B, if memory serves. Then you free up LF for Rooker/Brown/Vickerson, getting more of your best hitters into the lineup.

Well, let's just make this a meme then. "Todd4State wants Spruill." I'm not happy with ANY of the third basemen- including Spruill. I'm simply going by the stats and who is performing the best at THIS moment. Not sure where the disconnect is or how much clearer I can make this. Statistically Spruill sucks less than the others right now- but not by much.

Holland only hit .243 at FSU as a freshman. Not bad, but not exactly setting the world on fire either. Personally, I don't like what I am seeing from him so far. I hope he turns it around. I think he is trying to do too much and now Gridley is threatening his job.

I would not be shocked if it ends up being Britton at the end of the year based on his history as a player- he always starts slow and then finishes decently. I don't think we can totally count on that either.

I would be fine with Humphreys at third- but I don't think Cohen will do it. It would allow us to get Vickerson and Rooker in the lineup at the same time. There is a benefit to Humphreys playing OF this year which is learning it because with Riley possibly coming in, he's probably going to be moved back out there anyway.

I'm not sure that Reynolds is ever going to be anything more than a guy that walks a lot and he looks like a role player to me.

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Whereas I was once optimistic that our problem was too many hitters, the reality is looking more like we have too many guys that are the same hitter and they all play 3B or COF. I'm not sure there is really that much difference in Brown, Vickerson, Smith in the OF and Spruill, Reynolds, Gridley, Holland in the IF with Britton the weakest hitter and has honestly probably about played himself out of the conversation. Rooker and Humphries give you some power potential in the COF/DH spot but you lose some plate discipline, speed and defense.

On the IF guys I'm also not sure how to rate them all defensively.

Gridley has earned the PT until he loses it in my book. Humpreys is the guy we need to become an xbh threat and run producer so I'd give him a few more weeks to earn/lose that spot. To me he DH's unless you want to get Rooker's bat in there (assuming he's worth than Hump defensively). and if we keep never hitting XBH then we need to roll the dice with Rooker. Right now I'd give Holland, Smith and Brown most of the other PT

vs RH:

Robson
Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Brown
Rea
Holland
Smith
Gridley

vs LH

Gridley
Heck
Collins
Humphreys
Rooker
Smith
Rea
Holland/Spruill/Britton
Robson (if robson looks terrible vs LH maybe Smith could play CF)

Power hitters typically strike out more than contact hitters/speed guys in general. The power hitters that don't strike out a lot are usually going to end up in Cooperstown barring steroid use. Now, in a perfect world you would have legit all five tool guys. But that's not even a reality in MLB, much less the SEC.

And no, I'm not advocating against power hitting- I'm just saying that those guys are going to strike out some and to expect it, but the trade off is going to in the form of home runs and extra base hits. So, it's worth it in the long run depending on the overall production of the player.

Really the only hole in the lineup I see is at third base.

C- Worst case scenario is Lovelady, and he has been a pleasant surprise so far.
1B- Rea has done pretty well- with 9 BB's and 1 K.
2B/3B- Gridley is hitting very well and will be a freshman player of the year candidate.
SS- Heck is hitting well- almost .400
LF- Humphreys will be fine.
CF- Robson is hitting over .400
RF- If Smith can't come back, Vickerson is doing well.
DH- Rooker needs to play more and leads the team in home runs.

JohnnyQuid
03-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Robson
Gridley
Rea
Collins
Humphreys
Heck
Vickerson
Holland
Smith (Kinda a 9-1 guy- dont know enough about him yep but hoping- this is assuming he is who we thought he'll be)

I dont do all this left right bullshit. I think with robsons speed and bat control he belongs at top of the order much more than mid (how many times u see a cleanup guy bunting for basehit) IMO this protects the middle of ur order and the bottom end isnt too bad. It's a decent mix of l/r althought a bit right heavy. A good hitter is gonna hit IMO, give em a chance.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Robson
Gridley
Rea
Collins
Humphreys
Heck
Vickerson
Holland
Smith (Kinda a 9-1 guy- dont know enough about him yep but hoping- this is assuming he is who we thought he'll be)

I dont do all this left right bullshit. I think with robsons speed and bat control he belongs at top of the order much more than mid (how many times u see a cleanup guy bunting for basehit) IMO this protects the middle of ur order and the bottom end isnt too bad. It's a decent mix of l/r althought a bit right heavy. A good hitter is gonna hit IMO, give em a chance.

The problem with not doing the R-L thing is it makes it really easy for opposing coaches in the middle to late innings concerning bullpen.

I seen it dawg
03-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Heck
Robson
Collins
Hump
Rea
Vick
Rooker
Holland
Gridley

There are guys I'd like to see in the lineup (Smith) but the OP was based on what we've seen so far.

chef dixon
03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
I think you gotta have Brown in the line up. Everyone is high on Smith but he will need to prove his worth... a first AB double goes a long way in the fan's eyes.

chef dixon
03-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Also really impressed with Rea so far this year. 10 walks, 1 K. The guy is seeing the ball far better than I thought he would.

Irondawg
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Just given our problems scoring runs the idea of having Rooker and Humphreys in the lineup is appealing as with collins and rea it gives us at least 4 guys capable of getting XBH somewhat regularly.

Political Hack
03-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Heck SS
Collins C
Smith RF
Humphreys DH
Rooker LF
Holland 2B
Rea 1B
Gridley 3B
Robson CF

THAT is the MF lineup.

It's good. I'd move Robson up to get him more ABs and any lineup without Brown is missing something IMO. Kid makes plays. Also, I'd have Rea almost as a default 5 hole hitter at this point. He's good enough to protect the bat in front of him, but he just doesn't have the lumber to be a cleanup guy.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
1. Heck
2. Robson
3. Collins
4. Rea
5. Rooker
6. Smith
7. Holland
8. Lovelady
9. Gridley

War Machine Dawg
03-06-2015, 11:47 AM
1. Heck
2. Robson
3. Collins
4. Rea
5. Rooker
6. Smith
7. Holland
8. Lovelady
9. Gridley

What's your beef with Hump? He's clearly one of out best 9 hitters.

SouthMsDawg
03-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Im still curious to see why so many people think that Smith is going to be an everyday guy? Vickerson and Cody Brown have been very solid so far and are experienced.

SouthMsDawg
03-06-2015, 11:57 AM

Hump has hit the ball well often this year just had some bad luck with balls getting to the warning track or outfielders making diving or running catches.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM

He's hitting .240 against sub-par pitching- and leads the team in strikeouts. Thats not going to improve once SEC pitching starts flying at him

preachermatt83
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
I think you gotta have Brown in the line up. Everyone is high on Smith but he will need to prove his worth... a first AB double goes a long way in the fan's eyes.

YES!!!!!!!!!!

preachermatt83
03-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Im still curious to see why so many people think that Smith is going to be an everyday guy? Vickerson and Cody Brown have been very solid so far and are experienced.

amen!

I seen it dawg
03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
It's good. I'd move Robson up to get him more ABs and any lineup without Brown is missing something IMO. Kid makes plays. Also, I'd have Rea almost as a default 5 hole hitter at this point. He's good enough to protect the bat in front of him, but he just doesn't have the lumber to be a cleanup guy.

Basically my lineup. I'd rather Brown play over Vick as I'm not a fan but he is hitting right now.

smootness
03-06-2015, 01:40 PM

It's not about that double for me, it's about what Cohen has said about him. Cohen likes to point out certain guys, and he usually ends up being right. It's why I'm so high on both Smith and Humphreys.

There will be some interesting decisions that have to be made, though, because we have guys who are performing well that are competing with guys who have more long-term potential. So do you take a few possible lumps early with the hopes their talent eventually shows and they tear it up? Or do you go with the hot hand at the risk of not allowing those guys the experience to get better and reach their potential?

I'm specifically thinking of guys like Humphreys and Smith vs. guys like Vickerson and Brown.

Smitty
03-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Robson is not a top of the order SEC hitter, IMO... Him and Gridley make a nice 8-9 rounding out the lineup of solid HITTERS in my lineup

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Smith was our best hitter in the spring right before the season starts. He hits a double and then pulls his quad or whatever.

Tbonewannabe
03-06-2015, 03:35 PM

I am not a numbers guru like some folks but hasn't Britton been the worst at 3rd in hitting and defense? Seems like someone posted some stats about his fielding being not as good as thought. The guy does make some great plays at the corner though.

smootness
03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I am not a numbers guru like some folks but hasn't Britton been the worst at 3rd in hitting and defense? Seems like someone posted some stats about his fielding being not as good as thought. The guy does make some great plays at the corner though.

He's got great range and a great arm but struggles to simply make plays. Personally, I'd rather just have a sure-handed guy over there, especially if Britton's not going to give you any offense.

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 03:41 PM

At this moment he is. I really wouldn't read too much into his defense at this point because most of those errors were made with Rea out and throwing to a guy that I'm not sure if he has ever played first before. Same with our other third basemen as well.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Britton has gotten off to an absolute awful start. It looks like he may have packed it in at this point. Or he is putting too much pressure on himself to perform well and it's making him worse- either way- it's not good.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Smitty- Robson is probably the most perfect 2 hole hitter we've had in a decade or more. Bunts, hits ground balls, steals bases, etc. absolutely perfect 2-hole guy. It's a travesty he isn't already there

Brahmabull
03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Why is Humphreys no longer at third? B/c Cohen is preparing him for outfield on the assumption that Riley shows up?? Seems to me we have plenty of OF combos but need a 3rd baseman. Why not Humphreys?

I seen it dawg
03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
We have a 3rd baseman. Gridley. He will move to 2nd next yr.

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Why is Humphreys no longer at third? B/c Cohen is preparing him for outfield on the assumption that Riley shows up?? Seems to me we have plenty of OF combos but need a 3rd baseman. Why not Humphreys?

Not totally about Riley at all. He was expecting Britton at the very least to be better than he has been so far. You expect a senior to perform better than he has. Plus, we also acquired Spruill and Luke Reynolds from the JUCO ranks in addition to Riley and if they perform you have to play them as well, so looking into the future you have 2-3 guys that is their primary position and then you have Humphreys who is more versatile.

And I don't think that Humphreys going back to third is totally out the window at this point. If Smith starts to perform, Vickerson keeps performing, Gridley keeps performing, and Holland keeps struggling it may become even more of a possibility.

Edit to say I do think it will probably be at least a few weeks before we resort to that because we don't know if Smith is just messed up for the year, and I think he is going to give Holland a chance to straighten himself out. And then I think he will give Britton a shot first before resorting to Humphreys.

Political Hack
03-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Smitty- Robson is probably the most perfect 2 hole hitter we've had in a decade or more. Bunts, hits ground balls, steals bases, etc. absolutely perfect 2-hole guy. It's a travesty he isn't already there

I can't compare him to our past hitters, but I agree that guy was born to bat 2nd.

Smitty
03-06-2015, 06:29 PM

2 hole guy needs to hit. Modern baseball. Robson is a 8-9 hole hitter. Anything else is a travesty. Damn old school BS thinking is still alive and well.

Gavin Collins should hit 2nd.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 06:44 PM
2 hole guy needs to hit. Modern baseball. Robson is a 8-9 hole hitter. Anything else is a travesty. Damn old school BS thinking is still alive and well. Gavin Collins should hit 2nd.Ok- we are an old school team that bunts. And those teams need a guy like Robson batting 2nd- not Collins. That's the way we play- so that's the way you set your line-up

Smitty
03-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Ok- we are an old school team that bunts. And those teams need a guy like Robson batting 2nd- not Collins. That's the way we play- so that's the way you set your line-up

**** that still a bad move. Robson can't hit good pitching. Why does 2 hole need to bunt? It's well established bunting one guy over is ****ing stupid. If we want to win we have to hit. My lineup is the most productive.

Heck
Collins
Smith
Hump
Rooker
Holland
Rea
Gridley
Robson

Or something close to that.

Coach34
03-06-2015, 07:43 PM
* It's well established bunting one guy over is ****ing stupid.

John Cohen doesnt think so- and we play his way. Not your way

Coach34
03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Not to mention- Robson is facing a draft pick today and been on base twice in 3 AB's. Thats what a 2-hole guy does

Coach34
03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
**** that still a bad move. Robson can't hit good pitching. Why does 2 hole need to bunt? It's well established bunting one guy over is ****ing stupid. If we want to win we have to hit. My lineup is the most productive.

Heck
Collins
Smith
Hump
Rooker
Holland
Rea
Gridley
Robson

not to mention any line-up with Hump in it batting higher than 8th is a joke

Todd4State
03-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Heck
Collins
Smith
Hump
Rooker
Holland
Rea
Gridley
Robson

Robson has the highest batting average on the team and an OBP of .569. And I know you understand the difference- but Coach said we bunt- not sacrifice.

Shit- the other sabermetric people get it. You're so 2008.

Schultzy
03-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Whatever happened to getting your best hitters the most at bats?

Political Hack
03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
why would anyone argue against a productive at bat in the 2 hole? regardless of what style of ball you play?

Someone who doesn't waste at bats, that's going to move the lead off man and get in base a lot, that's pretty ideal in any situation, no????

RTO Dawg
03-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Rooker Collins and Brown need to be in lineup!!!

Schultzy
03-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Rooker Collins and Brown need to be in lineup!!!

Yes and I would add Smith to that list.
Heck
Robson
Collins
Brown
Smith
Rooker
Rea
Bridled
Holland

I seen it dawg
03-07-2015, 11:22 AM
After last night....
Heck
Robson
Collins
Rea
Brown
hump
Smith
Holland
Gridley

maroonmania
03-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Robson has the highest batting average on the team and an OBP of .569. And I know you understand the difference- but Coach said we bunt- not sacrifice.

Shit- the other sabermetric people get it. You're so 2008.

Robson has improved most areas of his game but for such a speedy guy I really don't understand why he is such a terrible fundamental baserunner. Seriously, over his 2+ years I have seen Robson make some of the dumbest outs on the bases that I've ever witnessed in college baseball.

preachermatt83
03-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Robson has improved most areas of his game but for such a speedy guy I really don't understand why he is such a terrible fundamental baserunner. Seriously, over his 2+ years I have seen Robson make some of the dumbest outs on the bases that I've ever witnessed in college baseball.

lol, so have I. Its odd