PDA

View Full Version : BB coach

MidTNDawg
03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Seeing the utk / lsu score makes me wonder whether or not we considered Donnie Tyndall. Anybody with any info?

Homedawg
03-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Seeing the utk / lsu score makes me wonder whether or not we considered Donnie Tyndall. Anybody with any info?

Why would he leave UT to come here?

MaxedOutMaroon
03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
I might be a little naive on my short search, but I wouldn't be mad if Steve Prohm

MidTNDawg
03-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Tyndall was at usm. This is his first year at utk. He inherited pretty much the same kind of mess that R Ray inherited. We could have hired him I am sure.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Considering that he hadn't even been hired by USM yet I'd say no.

engie
03-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Tyndall was at usm. This is his first year at utk. He inherited pretty much the same kind of mess that R Ray inherited. We could have hired him I am sure.

Yeah -- and we would be dealing with the NCAA scrutiny that still has a decent chance to cost him his job there -- has destroyed USM's program -- and cost most of his assistants their jobs. Nevermind that he's already lost to Ray in Knoxville.

There were certainly better options than Rick Ray and there still are -- but I don't fault Stricklin for a minute for not hiring Tyndall. Or Eustachy for that matter, who probably would have been a really good hire considering how he's winning at Colorado St and his time spent recruiting MS...

It_Could_Happen
03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
2 Words: Jeff Capel. That's my dream hire but I don't know if we would pay enough. He's a proven winner and has been studying under coach K for a few years now since he got canned at OU. I think it would take at least 2 million though.

smootness
03-05-2015, 10:00 PM
2 Words: Jeff Capel. That's my dream hire but I don't know if we would pay enough. He's a proven winner and has been studying under coach K for a few years now since he got canned at OU. I think it would take at least 2 million though.

I said this in another thread, but no thanks. His tenure at Oklahoma ended in failure and amid the NCAA investigating. And looking back at his VCU tenure, they've been better since he left. He studied under Coach K before his failure at OU as well, so that doesn't really do much for me.

I'm always highly skeptical of coaches who have made a strong run early in their tenure only to have it collapse after that.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Yeah -- and we would be dealing with the NCAA scrutiny that still has a decent chance to cost him his job there -- has destroyed USM's program -- and cost most of his assistants their jobs. Nevermind that he's already lost to Ray in Knoxville.

There were certainly better options than Rick Ray and there still are -- but I don't fault Stricklin for a minute for not hiring Tyndall. Or Eustachy for that matter, who probably would have been a really good hire considering how he's winning at Colorado St and his time spent recruiting MS...

Ray also lost to Tyndall in Starkville scoring only 47 points after attempting 44 free throws. Tyndall has also beat #15 Butler, Kansas State, Arkansas and whipped LSU in Baton Rouge. He was left with four players. Oh and he has a better record than Ray's year 3 in his year 1. UT is terrified of the NCAA because of Pearl so they have been overreacting ever since to anything. Tyndall isn't getting fired cause of some shit in Hattiesburg.

smootness
03-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Ray also lost to Tyndall in Starkville scoring only 47 points after attempting 44 free throws. Tyndall has also beat #15 Butler, Kansas State, Arkansas and whipped LSU in Baton Rouge. He was left with four players. Oh and he has a better record than Ray's year 3 in his year 1. UT is terrified of the NCAA because of Pearl so they have been overreacting ever since to anything. Tyndall isn't getting fired cause of some shit in Hattiesburg.

You missed his point.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
You missed his point.

No I didn't. His point was to shit on Tyndall.

smootness
03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
No I didn't. His point was to shit on Tyndall.

Sure, but his point was that Tyndall left his last program in shambles. It's that he may hurt UT in the future, not that his job is at risk because of this investigation.

And it's absolutely relevant. The job he just left has serious questions around what he was doing there and has already led to USM disciplining themselves.

Crazy, isn't it, that the coaches with serious NCAA/ethical questions are the ones you keep pointing to as bringing in all this supposed talent in a short period of time.

BTW, he also had issues at Morehead as well.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Crazy, isn't it, that the coaches with serious NCAA/ethical questions are the ones you keep pointing to as bringing in all this supposed talent in a short period of time.

Don't go full retard. Tyndall isn't under investigation for anything he did at UT. UT is where he signed eight players in three weeks.

JohnnyQuid
03-06-2015, 02:45 AM
Don't go full retard. Tyndall isn't under investigation for anything he did at UT. UT is where he signed eight players in three weeks.

true.

His trouble , any and all, is gonna come from USM

engie
03-06-2015, 08:05 AM
true.

His trouble , any and all, is gonna come from USM

Show me where Tyndall has been cleared of anything?

He hasn't -- and with new ncaa regulations placing more blame on coaches -- his head is still squarely on the chopping block.

If this were true -- why were(at least 2) UT assistants fired in connection with the investigation at usm?

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Show me where Tyndall has been cleared of anything?

He hasn't -- and with new ncaa regulations placing more blame on coaches -- his head is still squarely on the chopping block.

If this were true -- why were(at least 2) UT assistants fired in connection with the investigation at usm?

I must of missed were Tyndall was found guilty of anything. His UT assistants weren't fired either they quit.

engie
03-06-2015, 08:41 AM
I must of missed were Tyndall was found guilty of anything. His UT assistants weren't fired either they quit.

You aren't found guilty or innocent prior to the ending of the trial. This isn't rocket science. Tyndall is still under investigation.

You probably think Mirando quit too, huh?

In August 2013, the NCAA revised its enforcement policy to place more responsibility on head coaches to maintain an air of compliance in their programs.

Nevermind that Tyndall left Morehead St on probation as well. He could very well end up getting nailed with a repeat offender tag under the new NCAA stipulations. Let's not pretend Tennessee compliance is on top of their game -- they are even worse off than we are.

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Tennessee just overblowing everything like usual.

confucius say
03-06-2015, 10:22 AM
You aren't found guilty or innocent prior to the ending of the trial. This isn't rocket science. Tyndall is still under investigation.

You probably think Mirando quit too, huh?

Nevermind that Tyndall left Morehead St on probation as well. He could very well end up getting nailed with a repeat offender tag under the new NCAA stipulations. Let's not pretend Tennessee compliance is on top of their game -- they are even worse off than we are.

True. Spoke with a former coach who is close to bob kesling, tenn play by play guy, and his thoughts were if dt gets a show cause penalty, tenn will fire dt.

smootness
03-06-2015, 10:35 AM

:facepalm:

'He's left his last 2 programs under investigation, but his current investigation is in regard to his last job, so clearly he could never come under investigation for something he 's doing at UT.'

Sound logic.

coastdoglover
03-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Who cares. Until we have an opening now, nothing in the past matters. Tyndall is probably a decent floor coach but I can't see Scott hiring him because of the NCAA ordeal. I would rather have Eustachy than what we have but I am not sure he would even leave Colorado State to come back to Mississippi. There has to be some good coaches available and we have the funds to get anybody we want to get but we will find out if our AD thinks basketball is important soon. Regardless of Engies numbers, we have lost enough to hire about anybody out there considering how much we lost in revenue over the last 3 years.

mparkerfd20
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
We might could get a reduced rate on Jim Boheim after today's sanctions. **

engie
03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Who cares. Until we have an opening now, nothing in the past matters. Tyndall is probably a decent floor coach but I can't see Scott hiring him because of the NCAA ordeal. I would rather have Eustachy than what we have but I am not sure he would even leave Colorado State to come back to Mississippi. There has to be some good coaches available and we have the funds to get anybody we want to get but we will find out if our AD thinks basketball is important soon. Regardless of Engies numbers, we have lost enough to hire about anybody out there considering how much we lost in revenue over the last 3 years.

I really enjoy your posts when they include perspective like this... Just saying...

We'll agree to disagree on the money thing. I'll put together the opposing argument the way I would have structures it for you guys in coming days in regards to Ray and money. It's the actual method that should have used to argue it down to a stalemate...