PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman

msstate7
03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
5 cb's to lsu yesterday. There's gonna be a ton of talent on their team if they land him

Irondawg
03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Disappointing if not MSU I would prefer him out of the SEC

msstate7
03-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Disappointing if not MSU I would prefer him out of the SEC

Me too. I've been pulling for kansas ever since I thought we were out

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
LSU already has the #1 player in the country signed in Ben Simmons Montverde Academy. If they could manage to keep Martin & Mickey along with Quartermann, Patterson and Hornsby and were able to land Malik look out. That's a top 10 team probably top 5. Josh Gray gonna transfer again?

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
They have the #1 player along with another top 20, 5-star guy. Yes, landing Newman would certainly make them a national title contender.

Getting talented players is the best draw for getting other talented players, no doubt. There's no way they would have a shot at Newman without Simmons and Blakeney already committed.

The interesting thing, though, is that the guys they have are at SG and SF. That's a lot of wing scorers; I would be cautious about going there if I was Newman.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Nobody is starting over Newman till the NBA All-Star game.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Nobody is starting over Newman till the NBA All-Star game.

I'm not saying anybody's going to start over him. I'm just saying that it crowds things, and all of these guys will have to get playing time.

Plus, the more elite guys you have, the tougher it is to stand out. It's the problem certain guys have at UK.

Personally, I think this would be much more of a problem for Blakeney, not Newman, but it would still be something to consider. If he came to State, he would be the undisputed go-to guy and would be able to shine in any way he wanted.

But ultimately these kids want to play with other talented kids more than anything.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm not saying anybody's going to start over him. I'm just saying that it crowds things, and all of these guys will have to get playing time.

Plus, the more elite guys you have, the tougher it is to stand out. It's the problem certain guys have at UK.

Personally, I think this would be much more of a problem for Blakeney, not Newman, but it would still be something to consider. If he came to State, he would be the undisputed go-to guy and would be able to shine in any way he wanted.

But ultimately these kids want to play with other talented kids more than anything.

If Ray pulled a miracle with Newman we'd have him for one year and Ray for three more. Something to consider. Hell yes I want Newman. Hell no I don't want Ray for even one more day.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:30 PM
If Ray pulled a miracle with Newman we'd have him for one year and Ray for three more. Something to consider. Hell yes I want Newman. Hell no I don't want Ray for even one more day.

Haha so now even if we get Newman, you wouldn't want Ray. You're back-tracking on that one.

We're not getting Newman, though, so it won't matter.

Cabo32
03-05-2015, 02:34 PM
He'll probably end up at Kentucky. Play one year, then off to the NBA. It would be awesome if we could land him. I just don't like our chances.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Haha so now even if we get Newman, you wouldn't want Ray. You're back-tracking on that one.

We're not getting Newman, though, so it won't matter.

I'm not backtracking. It's simple. I want Newman. I don't want Ray. Newman guarantees Ray but Newman is only one year. It's a double edged sword.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 02:44 PM
He'll probably end up at Kentucky. Play one year, then off to the NBA. It would be awesome if we could land him. I just don't like our chances.

Kentucky doesn't have to pay players. They just set them up with shoe deals when they go pro. UK currently has former players making more than 1/2 a BILLION dollars a year just on shoe deals alone.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm not backtracking. It's simple. I want Newman. I don't want Ray. Newman guarantees Ray but Newman is only one year. It's a double edged sword.

But at one point you said you were totally fine keeping Ray if he proved he could recruit, and specifically said that landing Newman would do just that.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
But at one point you said you were totally fine keeping Ray if he proved he could recruit, and specifically said that landing Newman would do just that.

The only time I've been "totally fine" with keeping Ray was for about one hour directly following our win in Knoxville. I've been the one forever saying we will never get Newman.

BulldogDX55
03-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Kentucky doesn't have to pay players. They just set them up with shoe deals when they go pro. UK currently has former players making more than 1/2 a BILLION dollars a year just on shoe deals alone.

You are retarded if you think that number is accurate. Michael Jordan is just now a billionaire.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 03:12 PM
You are retarded if you think that number is accurate. Michael Jordan is just now a billionaire.

It's accurate if you take the life of the contract. D Rose alone has a $270 MM deal with Adidas. Ok so I fibbed on the "per year" part but you get the point. It's a shitload of money.

smootness
03-05-2015, 03:30 PM
The only time I've been "totally fine" with keeping Ray was for about one hour directly following our win in Knoxville. I've been the one forever saying we will never get Newman.

Haha that's beside the point. Yes, you've said we wouldn't get Newman from the beginning, but once it seemed like we might have some momentum, you admitted everything would change if we got him.

Now you're saying even if we do get him, you want Ray gone.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 03:44 PM
you admitted everything would change if we got him.

I've never said we'll get him so this can't be me you're remembering.

sandwolf
03-05-2015, 03:51 PM
D Rose alone has a $270 MM deal with Adidas.

He played for Calipari, but it was at Memphis.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 04:13 PM
He played for Calipari, but it was at Memphis.

Like that stops Cal from bragging on him

smootness
03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I specifically said that yes, you have opined from the beginning that we wouldn't get Newman. But you absolutely did admit at one point that on the off chance we did, it would definitely change things regarding Ray.

I haven't yet found that post, but I did find a thread on SPS from this past summer where you 1) said you just wanted a JUCO or transfer who shot 40% from 3, 2) said he couldn't land a top-100 player in what would be his 4th class, and 3) said that if he just lands 2-3 top-200 players every year, we would be in the NCAA Tournament. The clear implication is that if he started doing that, it would be acceptable.

Well, he got #1, he got #2 literally 2 weeks after you said that (and added another one in the 2016 class since), and he now has #3 in both the 2015 and 2016 classes.

Yet your stance remains entirely unchanged.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/archive/index.php/t-127293.html

Rayburn8
03-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I specifically said that yes, you have opined from the beginning that we wouldn't get Newman. But you absolutely did admit at one point that on the off chance we did, it would definitely change things regarding Ray.

I haven't yet found that post, but I did find a thread on SPS from this past summer where you 1) said you just wanted a JUCO or transfer who shot 40% from 3, 2) said he couldn't land a top-100 player in what would be his 4th class, and 3) said that if he just lands 2-3 top-200 players every year, we would be in the NCAA Tournament. The clear implication is that if he started doing that, it would be acceptable.

Well, he got #1, he got #2 literally 2 weeks after you said that (and added another one in the 2016 class since), and he now has #3 in both the 2015 and 2016 classes.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/archive/index.php/t-127293.html

Damn.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Ray's suck had yet to fully bloom back then. I wasn't expecting 12-18 with three HORRIBLE OOC losses.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Damn.

What's "damn" about it? I wasn't expecting even Ray to be this bad.

smootness
03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Ray's suck had yet to fully bloom back then. I wasn't expecting 12-18 with three HORRIBLE OOC losses.

Haha ok.

Just keep moving those goalposts.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Haha ok.

Just keep moving those goalposts.

You expecting me to wait for Simonds, Tookie and Spoon? **** that! We've seen ENOUGH!

smootness
03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
You expecting me to wait for Simonds, Tookie and Spoon? **** that! We've seen ENOUGH!

What? Those were your own words. You said you wanted to see 2-3 top-200 guys every year. Well, the 2014 class was already in at that point, so you were clearly looking forward.

And that's exactly what we've now done in the next 2 classes after you said that. But now, it doesn't matter because those guys aren't already on campus?

In other words, again, you're just moving the goalposts and changing your argument. He's done exactly what you said you wanted to see, but now it doesn't count because he hadn't done it before you said it?

You literally said you wanted to see something specific in the future, and then when he did exactly what you asked for, you claim it's nowhere good enough because it's not already here now. 'Please give me X in the future...Wait, you expect me to wait for X? That's all the way in the future!!!'

chef dixon
03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
I'd be surprised if he's not at UK, MSU, or Ole Miss.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
What? Those were your own words. You said you wanted to see 2-3 top-200 guys every year. Well, the 2014 class was already in at that point, so you were clearly looking forward.

And that's exactly what we've now done in the next 2 classes after you said that. But now, it doesn't matter because those guys aren't already on campus?

In other words, again, you're just moving the goalposts and changing your argument. He's done exactly what you said you wanted to see, but now it doesn't count because he hadn't done it before you said it?

You literally said you wanted to see something specific in the future, and then when he did exactly what you asked for, you claim it's nowhere good enough because it's not already here now. 'Please give me X in the future...Wait, you expect me to wait for X? That's all the way in the future!!!'

What the **** are you talking about dude? We are TERRIBLE at basketball. Who gives a shit what I said BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED! We are obviously horribly lower than what I expected at the time of that post. Being awful on the court will always out rule how we look on paper for me.