PDA

View Full Version : Third straight losing season in Basketball

SouthMsDawg
03-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Prior to the hiring of Rick Ray we only had 2 losing season in the last 20 years (Williams and Stansbury). This year marks the 3rd straight losing season in a row. Let that sit in for a minute. TWO losing seasons between 1993-2013, and THREE LOSING SEASONS the past 3 years.

Im tired of the sympathetic "we are improving" "we nuked the program" "we have a bright future ahead of us" Its not that hard to go .500 in college basketball.

Next year, assuming Coach34's sources are correct on Ray being back, will be make or break. Another losing season and there is no excuse whatsoever with 5 seniors on the roster next year.

smootness
03-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Next year, assuming Coach34's sources are correct on Ray being back, will be make or break. Another losing season and there is no excuse whatsoever with 5 seniors on the roster next year.

Oh, that's absolutely true. I would go so far as to say a season 2-3 games above .500 isn't good enough, either.

Goat from MSU
03-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Do not be so quick to put stock in those sources , there could be things happening .Let's see how this plays out.

SouthMsDawg
03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Do not be so quick to put stock in those sources , there could be things happening .Let's see how this plays out.

We have lost 5 in a row to end the season and 7 of the past 8 since COACH34 guaranteed that Ray wasn't getting fired. That one win was against a BAD, BAD Mizzou team.

smootness
03-05-2015, 12:04 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say he'll be back.

Coach34
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Ray is going to get 4 years

Liverpooldawg
03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Prior to the hiring of Rick Ray we only had 2 losing season in the last 20 years (Williams and Stansbury). This year marks the 3rd straight losing season in a row. Let that sit in for a minute. TWO losing seasons between 1993-2013, and THREE LOSING SEASONS the past 3 years.

Im tired of the sympathetic "we are improving" "we nuked the program" "we have a bright future ahead of us" Its not that hard to go .500 in college basketball.

It's already unacceptable. Our brief spell in January was mostly the result of better than normal shooting. Other than that this team is pretty much the same as last year's and even the year's before. We aren't even sniffing the bubble for the CBI. Let THAT sink in.

Dawgface
03-05-2015, 01:03 PM
The only justification to bringing him back is to let the coaching world know we give coaches adequate time to build a program. That's a hard one to swallow though in the meantime.

MaxedOutMaroon
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I've been with Keep Ray Party for the longest, but now I'd be ok either way. Part of it was the recruiting class coming in, but I just had the realization that I want players who are committed to THE PEOPLE's UNIVERSITY, MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY, not Ray or a coach. That was part of stans problem, and why I have no regrets that we left that era! I'm a proponent of Ray is Croom so now let's bring in a Mullen

dawgs
03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
I've been with Keep Ray Party for the longest, but now I'd be ok either way. Part of it was the recruiting class coming in, but I just had the realization that I want players who are committed to THE PEOPLE's UNIVERSITY, MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY, not Ray or a coach. That was part of stans problem, and why I have no regrets that we left that era! I'm a proponent of Ray is Croom so now let's bring in a Mullen

The recruiting class coming in is only a borderline top 50 class. Why does everyone keep thinking we are bringing in a banner class to lead us back to relevancy?

msstate7
03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
The recruiting class coming in is only a borderline top 50 class. Why does everyone keep thinking we are bringing in a banner class to lead us back to relevancy?

Think next year's class is the one people are confusing with this year

HSVDawg
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
The bottom line is that if Coach34's sources are correct, Stricklin should be fired. Not for giving Ray another year, but for making the decision before having the full sample size of the season to make a judgment. The good ole boy hand shake promises of coaches getting X number of years to right the ship or this current year being a "throw away" is a bullshit loser approach the our athletic department should have been ridden of when LT walked out the door.

That being said, I fully believe no decision has been made and Stricklin will evaluate the overall program status and make a call after the SEC tournament.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:17 PM

The 2015 class isn't a banner class, but it's much better than what we've brought in the last couple of years. It's our best class since 2011, IMO.

As I have said before, the reason I'm optimistic about the class is because I believe Tookie and Weatherspoon will immediately be 2 of our 3-4 most talented players. Then you also add Zuppardo, and relatively speaking, that's a lot of talent to add.

The 2016 class is the one that has the potential to be very good, but the 2015 class should definitely infuse some much-needed talent into the program.

Political Hack
03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
what changed three years ago that could've caused this?

it's a mystery.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:42 PM
For the record, I am in no way saying the 2015 class should cause Ray to keep his job. I'm sick of that discussion, and I'm not going to involve myself in it anymore. Whatever Stricklin decides is fine, and I have no sway over it.

I'm simply looking forward and optimistic about what I see in next year's class. I think Tookie and Weatherspoon, along with Zuppardo and most of our roster being 3rd and 4th year guys, give us the chance to put a decent product on the court.

tcdog70
03-05-2015, 02:54 PM
It is a stretch to think ZUP coming off an injury will be as good as Roq. That means you have a freshman PG and Spoon to lift us Up to being a good team. Maybe so. We still won't have a PG over 5'11 and no real center.

Coach34
03-05-2015, 02:58 PM
It is a stretch to think ZUP coming off an injury will be as good as Roq. That means you have a freshman PG and Spoon to lift us Up to being a good team. Maybe so. We still won't have a PG over 5'11 and no real center.

I dont think thats a stretch at all- Roq is decent some nights and then some nights he is nonexistent. He scored 8 last night with 4 boards....4 turnovers and spotty defense also. He goes off once in a blue moon- but Roq will be replaced

Zuppardo will be 14 months post injury by the time the season starts

smootness
03-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Our problems now have nothing to do with our PG being under 5'11". That's a non-issue.

Very few teams have an actual center at any level of basketball. That's also not a problem in an of itself. We definitely need serious development from some of our young post guys, no doubt.

I'm curious, though, as to why you feel anyone's going to take your constant negativity seriously when you've basically admitted you don't think Stans should have ever been let go and were biased against Ray from the beginning.

There's plenty to be critical of, but trying to find every bit of negativity you possibly can and focusing on that gets really tiring.

BiscuitEater
03-05-2015, 03:50 PM

The class coming in is ranked ~50 or so team-wise BUT will end up at #12 or 13 best class in the SEC. Kentucky has the #1 class in the country and A&M is rated as high as the #3 class. Auburn is up there too. Even USCe has a higher rated class than ours.

BiscuitEater
03-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Zuppardo will be 14 months post injury by the time the season starts

That is 'counting' on someone that has not played a single game at State contributing in the future is being a bit premature.

Last year posters were saying how much better we were going to be with Zup and how much better our outside shooting was going to be with Dunlap. Both were/are hurt.

IJ and Sword were also injured to start the year.

Two years ago .. it was Daniels that was going to be the star in '14 .. except he couldn't even pass a lone math class to get himself eligible the first semester.

Don't count your chickens.

dawgs
03-05-2015, 06:03 PM
The 2015 class isn't a banner class, but it's much better than what we've brought in the last couple of years. It's our best class since 2011, IMO.

As I have said before, the reason I'm optimistic about the class is because I believe Tookie and Weatherspoon will immediately be 2 of our 3-4 most talented players. Then you also add Zuppardo, and relatively speaking, that's a lot of talent to add.

The 2016 class is the one that has the potential to be very good, but the 2015 class should definitely infuse some much-needed talent into the program.

That just illustrates how bad our recruiting has been the last couple of years if the best 2 players in our ~50th ranked class will be 2 of the most talented 3 or 4 or 5 guys. Doesn't mean they are gonna make us good.

TheDogFather
03-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Because Coach34 says so dammit.

TheDogFather
03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Our problems now have nothing to do with our PG being under 5'11". That's a non-issue.

Very few teams have an actual center at any level of basketball. That's also not a problem in an of itself. We definitely need serious development from some of our young post guys, no doubt.

I'm curious, though, as to why you feel anyone's going to take your constant negativity seriously when you've basically admitted you don't think Stans should have ever been let go and were biased against Ray from the beginning.

There's plenty to be critical of, but trying to find every bit of negativity you possibly can and focusing on that gets really tiring.

Name one reason to be biased for Rick Ray. From the beginning.

smootness
03-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Did I say there was one? I would prefer everyone to approach the discussion reasonably and not be biased in either direction.

As for the recruiting class, yes, our recruiting has been subpar the last couple of years. Not my point.

I'm simply optimistic about what they can bring, I'm not making an evaluation of whether or not we should keep Ray. That is a tired argument that never goes anywhere, and we don't have a say one way or another. I'd rather just discuss our team and players.

RougeDawg
03-05-2015, 10:09 PM

Why even bother with smoot? He misses the forest for the trees, the beach for the sand, and the ocean for the water. Reality could walk up and slap it's cock across his face and he still wouldn't be able to see reality for what it really is.

As for those of us who can logically observe a situation and perform deductive reasoning, we knew Ray was not the answer from press conference uno. What amazes me is that RR still had any single individual in his court.

RougeDawg
03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
My question for the board is this. Have we ever had 4 consecutive losing seasons, or will we set a record next year? According to C34's sources, the 4th consecutive losing season will be upon us a year from now.

Coach34
03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
My question for the board is this. Have we ever had 4 consecutive losing seasons, or will we set a record next year? According to C34's sources, the 4th consecutive losing season will be upon us a year from now.

is this a serious question? Have you not seen the 1970's or 1980's?

Liverpooldawg
03-05-2015, 10:23 PM

I saw the '80s. It looked a lot like now.

Coach34
03-05-2015, 10:31 PM
From 80-89- we had losing seasons 9 of 10 years

smootness
03-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Why even bother with smoot? He misses the forest for the trees, the beach for the sand, and the ocean for the water. Reality could walk up and slap it's cock across his face and he still wouldn't be able to see reality for what it really is.

As for those of us who can logically observe a situation and perform deductive reasoning, we knew Ray was not the answer from press conference uno. What amazes me is that RR still had any single individual in his court.

Just pure quality throughout from you. Good job on completely missing any of my recent posts, though.

Still pushing for that hitting coach job? I don't know why you wouldn't get it, we'd never lose again.

Dawg61
03-05-2015, 10:36 PM

Give Ray 6 more years!

TheDogFather
03-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I saw the '80s. It looked a lot like now.

I concur. Except there was probably more optimism then. In the eighties losing was common and there was hope of improving. Now we know what it is like to have a winning program so the turd pile on the court now hurts worse.

TheDogFather
03-05-2015, 10:41 PM

Not enough people remember. If we don't study history we are doomed to repeat it. Doomed I tell you.

thunderclap
03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
I just don't care. And I used to camp out for tickets. I'll be at the bar along with 7,000 other people who used to go to games.

RougeDawg
03-05-2015, 11:33 PM

No. I wasn't born. I'm used to at minimum, .500 seasons. Which have been the norm for my entire life except the last 3.

Eta: with our Girl Scout Pre SEC schedule, there's no excuse for us not to have had winning seasons 2 of the last 3 at minimum. Why is this so difficult to comprehend? We used to sleepwalk through games against teams better than upstate Carolina, or whoever the hell we lost two a couple months ago. We routinely lose to these bottom 150 teams and struggle to beat others, None of which is acceptable by me nor should be by anyone who gives any shits about out program or university.

RougeDawg
03-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Just pure quality throughout from you. Good job on completely missing any of my recent posts, though.

Still pushing for that hitting coach job? I don't know why you wouldn't get it, we'd never lose again.

Why don't you do a little research on the Aggies and now bears and what happened before and after a certain type of cosch was there and then left. Or just look around the nation. But then again the reality is just to plain to see for some.

RougeDawg
03-05-2015, 11:42 PM
If we fire ray this year I will purchase 4 season tickets next year and I probably won't make a game. I'll just buy to show i support the change. I had season tickets prior to 2011 but was fed up at that time as well.

JohnnyQuid
03-06-2015, 02:30 AM

LOL. *******. reachin'

ETA: it's fair to say alot weren't around for the 70's 80's. Me myself I was around for the Williams/Stans ride (was Jr. High for the Final Four run, my dad went i was so jealous.) But i can tel u this much, nobody gives a fck about 1970-1980. :confused::confused:

dawgs
03-06-2015, 02:36 AM
Hey guys, we sucked for 2 decades a long time ago, so we shouldn't be pissed we have only truly sucked for 3 years under ray.

JohnnyQuid
03-06-2015, 02:40 AM
Hey guys, we sucked for 2 decades a long time ago, so we shouldn't be pissed we have only truly sucked for 3 years under ray.

:cool::cool::cool:

I seen it dawg
03-06-2015, 06:52 AM
This poor ole dead horse just keeps getting the shit kicked out of it. But it is great to see the same people in every thread making the same arguments day after day week after week thinking one of them is all of a sudden gonna "come around". Makes for good knowledge of who the roster of somewhat intelligent posters are. It would be entertaining if it didn't make you dumber reading all of it.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 06:57 AM
This poor ole dead horse

Just wait till ray isn't fired. This horse beating is just getting started. If SS is a poster here, he'll probably fire Ray just to end this

Coach34
03-06-2015, 07:18 AM

who said this???

A question was asked about losing seasons in a row- I simply pointed out we had losing seasons every year in the 1980's but one. Nowhere was it said that makes anything ok. Stop with the bullshit

msstate7
03-06-2015, 07:22 AM
who said this???

A question was asked about losing seasons in a row- I simply pointed out we had losing seasons every year in the 1980's but one. Nowhere was it said that makes anything ok. Stop with the bullshit

You've gotta overlook dawgs. He's not handling Winston going ahead of mariota very well*

shannondawg
03-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Other than Kentucky, I don't think basketball was relevant to most of the SEC back in those days. Even during the Babe era, I think it was mostly the students that packed the old gym. But to be perfectly honest, I was one of them, and can't remember if the rank and file MSU fans really embraced basketball during that era exceot we were winning at something, and when the winning died it really didn't make a crap. I know it didn't to me.

Just as Polk made MSU a baseball school, for a long time , baseball wasn't that important to other SEC schools.

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Just wait till ray isn't fired. This horse beating is just getting started. If SS is a poster here, he'll probably fire Ray just to end this

After he fires him I hope SS punches himself in the nuts 999 times and then quits.

dawgs
03-06-2015, 11:01 AM
You've gotta overlook dawgs. He's not handling Winston going ahead of mariota very well*

Mariota can be Aaron Rodgers and winston can be Jamarcus russell for all I care. Further Mariota drops, more likely he ends up with a better situation and/or with kelly, where he'll have a better shot at succeeding.