PDA

View Full Version : New Commit-Nate Lowe, analysis of 2016 position--baseball

MsStateBaseball
03-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Hence, the beginning of building the 2016 club. Cohen did an excellent job last spring bringing in the JC's to "plug holes" into our lineup. I think he did a damn fine job.

Lowe is a JC player from St. Johns River in Florida. Former infielder Will Coggin is an assistant coach. Also former player Kyle Hahn is the starting shortstop. Lowe is 6-3 235, bats left throws right and can pitch also.

Why did we get a JC player for first base for the 2016 season? Wes Rea will be gone. Leaving Trent Waddell and Cole Gordon as returnees.

Looks like Trent Waddell will be a pitcher in 2016. When Rea went out with an injury, middle infielder John Holland started at first. I don't think he had any reps in the fall at first. Waddell only comes in late innings. Cole Gordon 6-6 240 likely to be redshirted this year (don't know why), did strike out a lot in fall ball but it seems his future is at pitcher also. He really did well in the preseason scrimmages.

Junior to be Reid Humphreys most likely will be moved to 1B. 2016 is his draft year. It will show MLB he can play OF and 1B, just like his brother, Tyler Moore.

So Nate Lowe will be brought in to bolster 1B position. If Reid is the starter, then Lowe who has hit 10 HR's so far in JC ball, can pinch hit or be a DH. Freshmen Konnor Pilkington and Trysten Barlow can play first also but bring no college experience.

Lowe is the 19th commit/signee for 2015. Coaches most likely expect to lose 2 to the MLB draft.

I would not doubt we get a JC middle infielder and if we lose freshman Elih Marrero to the draft, a JC catcher. Cohen always brings in a JC for these two positions.

engie
03-05-2015, 10:18 AM
This guy is a take regardless of everyone else's comings and goings IMO. He leads JUCO in homeruns and RBIs and is second in total bases. That team is #2 nationally.

SouthMsDawg
03-05-2015, 11:51 AM
If he's hitting bombs at the rate he currently is, then Its very likely he will get drafted high and we will never see him set foot on campus in Starkville.

smootness
03-05-2015, 12:01 PM
If he's hitting bombs at the rate he currently is, then Its very likely he will get drafted high and we will never see him set foot on campus in Starkville.

I've seen nothing that suggests he'll be drafted that high.

He's got great power, evidently, and walks a decent amount, but he also strikes out quite a bit and seems stuck at 1B defensively. That doesn't exactly scream draft risk.

engie
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
His team has played like 26 games already. So, while 10 is a pretty gaudy number already, it's not as gaudy as you'd think considering I automatically assumed they had played about half of that.

Guy K's a ton -- doesn't hit many doubles -- no triples -- but drops bombs.

Appears that he was an East Cobb Yankee teammate of Ryan Gridley, which was our obvious in here. Lowe will be showing up here as a Soph. This is his first year of JUCO ball.

MsStateBaseball
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
The roster has him a So. this year. He played a full season at Mercer. So he should come in as a Junior. He is from Marietta Ga, so he was on a travel team since he was 8 probably. He has seen great competition. Again, we are just getting insurance for a thin position according to me, see earlier post. It will be him and Humphreys for the most playing time.

engie
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with insurance at a "thin" position. But picking up elite talent when elite talent is available.

Rooker, Humphreys, Gordon, and Waddell are all more than capable of playing over there...

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah, he'll be a junior next year. But a good pickup regardless. My guess is that he will be an absolutely all-or-nothing hitter in the SEC, but it's nice to have a guy that dangerous in the lineup.