PDA

View Full Version : TSUN at it again $$$$$$$$ as if we didn't know..

99jc
03-04-2015, 08:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/brother-of-top-qb-recruit-shea-patterson-hired-at-ole-miss-221308405.html

Msujd164
03-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I hate TSUN. Buuuuuut what is illegal about this?

Harrydawg
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't think anyone said it was......but I have a question - is this new position? Who held this position previously?

I assure you, UM got permission or clarification prior to doing this, it stinks that bad........

TXDawg
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I thought it was illegal to hire a former coach or family member as an incentive to sign a recruit. Of course, as long as the guy is even remotely qualified (which this guy appears to be), it's nearly impossible to prove.

If I remember correctly, Nutt did the same thing with Malzahn at Arky to get the Springdale 5 - highlighted by Mitch Mustain. That move was equally transparent (especially after Malzahn was fired when Mustain transferred. Nutt caught a lot of flack for it, but nothing was done by the NCAA.

Msujd164
03-04-2015, 08:32 PM
If we had to hire someone to get the #1 QB in the nation, I hope we would do it too.

Bucky Dog
03-04-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't think anyone said it was......but I have a question - is this new position? Who held this position previously?

I assure you, UM got permission or clarification prior to doing this, it stinks that bad........
I believe the CL said it was a newly created administrative job! It's not illegal but very very sleazy. Kinda like when you offer said high school coach a position to bring said number 1 tackle in the country to OM and then make a movie about him!!

Coach34
03-04-2015, 08:37 PM
If we had to hire someone to get the #1 QB in the nation, I hope we would do it too.

He's not the #1 QB in the nation. He is an overrated 7 on 7 QB by most accounts locally. He wasnt even #1 on LSU's board and we all know how badly they need QB's. His biggest value to them is who may join him in that class.

mic
03-04-2015, 08:39 PM

He isn't #1 QB in country , but if hiring his big brother ( 3rd different school he has worked at in 3 years) seals the deal with this kid then hats off to them...

Harrydawg
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
I'll say one thing about those slimy MF's......they'll do damn near anything to win.

That's what makes it so damn funny when they fail.

mic
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
He's not the #1 QB in the nation. He is an overrated 7 on 7 QB by most accounts locally. He wasnt even #1 on LSU's board and we all know how badly they need QB's. His biggest value to them is who may join him in that class.

Agree.. Big names could follow..
They better hope he does stay committed cause I would be shocked if Kinciad is on the roster come August..

BossDawg
03-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I'll say one thing about those slimy MF's......they'll do damn near anything to win..

You mean they'll do damn near anything to land high profile recruits. To them, winning takes a back seat because landing some "important" recruit makes their fans feel important in turn.

Spiderman
03-04-2015, 09:28 PM

We damn sure didn't to get the #1 basketball recruit.

If The Big Train were an Ole Miss alum, he would now be in his 3rd year employed by the OM basketball program in some capacity.

State has got to change the mentality in the Athletic Department when it comes to this type stuff.

Todd4State
03-04-2015, 09:29 PM
The funny thing to me is they all talk about Oxford like it's some magical hip cool place where everyone that goes there wants to go to college there. And yet they have to hire brothers, give scholarships and jobs to family members of recruits, etc. So, if Oxford is so great- why do they have to do all of that?

Coach34
03-04-2015, 09:31 PM
The funny thing to me is they all talk about Oxford like it's some magical hip cool place where everyone that goes there wants to go to college there. And yet they have to hire brothers, give scholarships and jobs to family members of recruits, etc. So, if Oxford is so great- why do they have to do all of that?

exactly

ShotgunDawg
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM

You know, I'm glad we don't do this. It isn't worth it.

Name one time where this has ever helped a team win a championship? I can't think of once that it's helped a team win a championship by hiring a connection to a top recruit.

Mustain turned out to be garbage at Arkansas

Would Saban do this? Meyer? Poppovich? Coach K? Cohen? Corbin? etc.....?

Again, if it's about winning championship, then tell me once where this type of action has led to a team winning a championship?

I think it's leads to entitlement and tension within the team, if the kid isn't as advertised.

Patterson is a nice QB, but from a tool standpoint, he is undersized, isn't fast enough to beat people with his speed, and doesn't have a great arm. Basically, he will have to read defenses, have good protection, and great WR play to be effective.

People compare him to Drew Brees, but the problem is that Drew Brees was barely recruited out of high school. Drew Brees is the exception, not the rule. All to often, we anoint young players that are exceptions, just because they are more polished at a younger age.

I'm glad MSU doesn't participate in this practice. It's simply not a sustainable business model for long term winning and there is no evidence that it leads to winning a championship.

ShotgunDawg
03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
We damn sure didn't to get the #1 basketball recruit.

If The Big Train were an Ole Miss alum, he would now be in his 3rd year employed by the OM basketball program in some capacity.

State has got to change the mentality in the Athletic Department when it comes to this type stuff.

Disagree. You don't win by doing this. It's short term gratification for long term problems.

smootness
03-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Disagree. You don't win by doing this. It's short term gratification for long term problems.

Agreed.

We can't say on one hand that we like that Mullen sells hard work to recruits, then turn around and want to play the OM game and hire relatives to get a kid's signature.

Our way is working. Keep doing it.

HailState39110
03-04-2015, 09:52 PM
They haven't developed a QB out of high school since Romaro

1) Schaffer - transfer from TN
2) Snead - Transfer from Texas
3) Masoli - transfer from Oregon
4) Wallace - transfer from Arkansas St / JUCO
5) now Machine Gun Kelly - transfer from Clemson / JUCO

By all accounts if this kid ever starts it will be 10+ years since OM had a starting QB that actually was recruited out of high school to play there. I would be a little concerned by that stat if I was a qualit D1 high school QB recruit

Todd4State
03-04-2015, 10:30 PM

By all accounts if this kid ever starts it will be 10+ years since OM had a starting QB that actually was recruited out of high school to play there. I would be a little concerned by that stat if I was a qualit D1 high school QB recruit

Patterson will either break the streak because he is about to own them if he doesn't already and they have to start him- or Ole Miss is just using him to get other "big time" recruits and then will burn Patterson at the alter in lieu of some hot shot JUCO QB.

Heck, if Kelly sucks, they'll probably just let him do something stupid, leak it out to the media and kick him off the team and then start Patterson.

That's Ole Miss's QB plan- let that sink in for a moment.

Ours is to develop Nick Fitzgerald and let him fight it out with Damien Williams. If there is anything Dan does well, it's develop QB's.

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Not that what Nutt did at Ark has anything to do with Jim Bakker at OM but..... What really happened. Nutt recruited the springdale kids. At the time, Mustain was a living legend in that state. I mean ridiculously worshipped and annointed the next Peyton Manning. Mustain committed to arkansas. Then later opened his recruitment up. Nutt was against hiring Malzhan. But was then told if he didn't hire malzahn and land Mustain, he would be shown the door. Nutt hired Malzahn and all the sprngdale kids. Once on campus, supposedly, he treated Malzahn like sh***. Supposedly Nutt and the DC called him "high school". Being a true freshman, Mustain was 3rd on the depth chart. The fans raised hell and complained of Nutts conservative offense.

Malzahn quit after a year. Mustain transfered. The underground campaign to fire Nutt began.

smootness
03-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Ours is to develop Nick Fitzgerald and let him fight it out with Damien Williams. If there is anything Dan does well, it's develop QB's.

Don't forget Staley. By no means as Fitzgerald completely passed him.

That battle will almost certainly be a Fitz-Staley battle, I don't see Williams being a big factor.

mic
03-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Don't forget Staley. By no means as Fitzgerald completely passed him.

That battle will almost certainly be a Fitz-Staley battle, I don't see Williams being a big factor.

I agree .. I think everyone will be VERY happy with what we get out of Staley when it's his time ..

Alldawg
03-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Not that what Nutt did at Ark has anything to do with Jim Bakker at OM but..... What really happened. Nutt recruited the springdale kids. At the time, Mustain was a living legend in that state. I mean ridiculously worshipped and annointed the next Peyton Manning. Mustain committed to arkansas. Then later opened his recruitment up. Nutt was against hiring Malzhan. But was then told if he didn't hire malzahn and land Mustain, he would be shown the door. Nutt hired Malzahn and all the sprngdale kids. Once on campus, supposedly, he treated Malzahn like sh***. Supposedly Nutt and the DC called him "high school". Being a true freshman, Mustain was 3rd on the depth chart. The fans raised hell and complained of Nutts conservative offense.

Malzahn quit after a year. Mustain transfered. The underground campaign to fire Nutt began.

Not arguing the story, but didn't Mustain start off 8-0 that hear before Nutt blew it and took control of offense.

MabenMaroon
03-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I agree .. I think everyone will be VERY happy with what we get out of Staley when it's his time ..

I agree with that but once Tiano gets acclimated I think he surpasses them both. Kind of woolly to think about the future of qb on our team.

Reason2succeed
03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Does Ole Miss, I'm sorry the University of Mississippi even bother to teach Ethics are their grand institution?

ShotgunDawg
03-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Does Ole Miss, I'm sorry the University of Mississippi even bother to teach Ethics are their grand institution?

I'll be honest. I don't think it's unethical.

I just think it's a dumb, desperate way to run your business and, de facto, isn't a sustainable business model. I don't blame Ole Miss for doing it, especially when you they haven't been able to develop a high school QB since the Clinton administration, but MSU hasn't had this problem, and thus would be dumb to participate in this sort of strategy.

Maroonthirteen
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah I had to refresh my memory. Robert Johnson was a returning senior. He started the 1st game. Mustain started the 2nd and a few more after. Then Casey Dick took over at QB.

I lived over there then. I remember the absolute fire storm and bashing Nutt over his run oriented offense with the greatest QB of all time on the bench. Nevermind they had 3 NFL rbs and made it to the SECCG. They wanted Nutt burned at the stake for mishandling Mustain.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I agree with that but once Tiano gets acclimated I think he surpasses them both. Kind of woolly to think about the future of qb on our team.

We'll see. I doubt a redshirt freshman would beat both Fitz and Staley out, but I definitely like that we'll have real competition among talented guys.

Personally, I still believe Staley is the most talented of the group. I haven't seen Fitz or Tiano in person, but I did see Staley, and he looked phenomenal. Very easy arm strength and a really smooth stride for a guy that size. He's massive, athletic, and has a cannon.

TUSK
03-05-2015, 02:40 PM

Romaro "developed"?

I must have missed that.

MabenMaroon
03-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Hey TUSK! Where ya been?

sandwolf
03-05-2015, 03:24 PM
I'll be honest. I don't think it's unethical.

I agree.

I just think it's a dumb, desperate way to run your business and, de facto, isn't a sustainable business model. I don't blame Ole Miss for doing it, especially when you they haven't been able to develop a high school QB since the Clinton administration, but MSU hasn't had this problem, and thus would be dumb to participate in this sort of strategy.

I actually think it is pretty damn smart. It probably is not sustainable, but I see very little risk and the potential for huge rewards. Its not like they hired his brother to be the offensive coordinator....they hired him as the associate director for recruiting operations. And they are getting one of the top QB recruits in the country to act as a centerpiece for their 2016 recruiting class. The absolute worst case scenario is that he turns out to be a bust that doesn't live up to his star rating and he isn't able to attract any other highly rated recruits. Best case is that he pans out and gives them 3-4 years of very good quarterback play and is able to help attract a few other high profile guys to OM. I would roll those dice every single time.

Reason2succeed
03-05-2015, 04:39 PM
It may not be illegal but it is definitely in question of being unethical. They are doing just enough to clear the law and ignoring the spirit of the law. If the NCAA wants to maintain a modicum of respect they should make this practice illegal immediately. But we all know that the NCAA is a laughing stock. I am glad that State avoids such desperate measures.