PDA

View Full Version : Tonights loss

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:22 PM
I guarantee you the leaders of the team stood up and said this is not happening again this year, bad loss. I was worried about San Diego this weekend but not as much now bc I think these guys will come out w guns blazing against them.

msstate7
03-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I would rather the leaders step up and not allow it to happen at all

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 09:27 PM
The "leaders of this team" are why this happened.

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
You know how bad losses are to teams, light a fire under them.

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Our bats have been silent for the last week. No home runs this past weekend. We need everyone to hit.

Homedawg
03-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Our bats have been silent for the last week. No home runs this past weekend. We need everyone to hit.

You still stuck on your homerun number you set earlier?.....it's not happening unless we move all our games to Lexington.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 09:35 PM
When we get Rea, Collins, and Humphreys back, the power will be there- which is pretty much now. Cohen needs to play Rooker more too.

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:35 PM
I still think 50 plus. We have numerous guys who will hit 5-10.

Smitty
03-03-2015, 09:43 PM
When I say every ****ing game matters, every at bat, every pitch….. Its nights like tonight that I look to!

Inexcusable and lets start at the top. Reynolds has a hole in his swing. Get him out of the damn lineup. Rooker! Where are you! We KNOW who can hit for power put them in the lineup! Is Gridley, Robson, or Vickerson a 1-5 SEC hitter? No. Stop the bullshit Cohen. Don't **** around for one game, don't give one inch or you get the shit like tonight.

Ohhhhh Fitts is our clooooooooooser so we HAVE to bring him in there.. WRONG. Fitts is not the K guy we've had the last 2 years.

Horrible strikeouts tonight.. We thought we were so badass we could roll up and rope a shitty team, got away from an approach, and ****ing sucked.

Why couldn't Smith DH? Start? He did this weekend…

Homedawg
03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
When we get Rea, Collins, and Humphreys back, the power will be there- which is pretty much now. Cohen needs to play Rooker more too.
Fine- but we aren't a power club. As for rooker, hit better and he'll play more....

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Cohen video, he was pissed at the older guys hitting. Didn't compete at the ABs. Cohen was beat up his first two years, now we have a great team, he shouldn't lose.

If Ark PB win a few if these down the road then he is right, they are a good club.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Fine- but we aren't a power club. As for rooker, hit better and he'll play more....

Are you kidding me about Rooker? He leads our team in home runs and is second in RBI's- in less playing time, plus he is hitting for a higher average than Reid Humphreys who has started every game other than the ones he was out ill for. Not to mention he leads our team in slugging percentage.

Homedawg
03-03-2015, 09:50 PM
When I say every ****ing game matters, every at bat, every pitch….. Its nights like tonight that I look to!

Inexcusable and lets start at the top. Reynolds has a hole in his swing. Get him out of the damn lineup. Rooker! Where are you! We KNOW who can hit for power put them in the lineup! Is Gridley, Robson, or Vickerson a 1-5 SEC hitter? No. Stop the bullshit Cohen. Don't **** around for one game, don't give one inch or you get the shit like tonight.

Ohhhhh Fitts is our clooooooooooser so we HAVE to bring him in there.. WRONG. Fitts is not the K guy we've had the last 2 years.

Horrible strikeouts tonight.. We thought we were so badass we could roll up and rope a shitty team, got away from an approach, and ****ing sucked.

Reynolds had poor pitch selection today. Not saying he should play, just pointing it out. But since u brought up holes in swings, rooker has a big one, he does offset the misses w some pop so at least there is a case. Vickerson isn't a 1-5 hitter. But if you take everyone you say isn't a 1-5 guy sec hitter we won't have a lineup. So there's that

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Cohen video, he was pissed at the older guys hitting. Didn't compete at the ABs. Cohen was beat up his first two years, now we have a great team, he shouldn't lose.

If Ark PB win a few if these down the road then he is right, they are a good club.

Seth Heck stepped up with his 3 K's.

Homedawg
03-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Are you kidding me about Rooker? He leads our team in home runs and is second in RBI's- in less playing time, plus he is hitting for a higher average than Reid Humphreys who has started every game other than the ones he was out ill for. Not to mention he leads our team in slugging percentage.

Leading our team in hr isn't a huge accomplishment. We aren't a power club, I think I said that. It's true. If you are saying you want him to get hump's at bats fine, but we don't need a 3rd k guy in the lineup all the time.

mstatefan91
03-03-2015, 09:56 PM
It was a bad loss. Let's not go overboard and rip everything about the team.

smootness
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM

Thank you.

This team still has the chance to be extremely good, same as before tonight.

We just have to move forward and play much better than that.

HancockCountyDog
03-03-2015, 10:02 PM
It's one damn game. Yes, it's a bad loss, but it's just one game.

Homedawg
03-03-2015, 10:03 PM

Agreed

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Leading our team in hr isn't a huge accomplishment. We aren't a power club, I think I said that. It's true. If you are saying you want him to get hump's at bats fine, but we don't need a 3rd k guy in the lineup all the time.

We've played 14 games. If this was game 50, you might have a point. I'm not trying to argue that we are a power club- but I am saying that the power that we do have has been out a lot this first month.

What we are intended to be is a team that has 4-5 power guys and 4-5 speed guys. We need both Humphreys and Rooker in the lineup the majority of the time.

It should be:

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Gridley
3B- Spruill
SS- Heck
LF- Humphreys
CF- Robson
RF- Vickerson/Smith
DH- Rooker

maroonmania
03-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Seth Heck stepped up with his 3 K's.

Yep, it was a total team loss tonight. Biggest lesson is that there is no excuse for scheduling this many SWAC games. Nothing good can come from scheduling a lot of games where there is nothing to gain and a lot to lose. This was our 4th SWAC game (would have been the 5th without a weather cancellation). Two is the absolute max we should be scheduling in that league.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Yep, it was a total team loss tonight. Biggest lesson is that there is no excuse for scheduling this many SWAC games. Nothing good can come from scheduling a lot of games where there is nothing to gain and a lot to lose. This was our 4th SWAC game (would have been the 5th without a weather cancellation). Two is the absolute max we should be scheduling in that league.

I agree. I would much rather have played Delta State because then we wouldn't have the RPI hit if we lose to them and by playing them we get to do the same things that we would normally do against a SWAC team.

And I would only play Delta State twice.

msstate7
03-03-2015, 10:15 PM
What about Tulane, ull, la tech, etc? Why aren't we playing teams like this?

maroonmania
03-03-2015, 10:18 PM

I don't know. Some have said we had a real scheduling problem when we pulled out of the tournament in Houston.

Smitty
03-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Quit with the speeeeeed shit Todd we need players that can HIT! Or woukd you have us teach Brandon Holloway how to bunt. "Speed" is way down the list on what hitters need and your continued insistence on either power or "speed" is pre-Vietnam baseball thinking.

Speed... Damn.

Heck Collins Smith Hump Rooker Rea hit 1-6. Then plug in your Gridleys Vickersons Robsons Hollands.

When I said this is the most unknown team we've had in recent memory.... Yeah. Can we hit great or suck, we still don't know.

GreenheadDawg
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM

Hold on. Is APB in the SWAC? Please tell me they're not.

Skydawg1
03-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Hold on. Is APB in the SWAC? Please tell me they're not.If you watched the game on SEC+ you may not believe they are in the SWAC, but they are.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 11:01 PM

It's fine to play teams like that too- but every team plays a few SWAC caliber teams. Those teams are a lot better than a SWAC team with the exception of maybe La Tech. La Tech wouldn't really help us out that much. The other two would be fine.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Quit with the speeeeeed shit Todd we need players that can HIT! Or woukd you have us teach Brandon Holloway how to bunt. "Speed" is way down the list on what hitters need and your continued insistence on either power or "speed" is pre-Vietnam baseball thinking.

Speed... Damn.

Heck Collins Smith Hump Rooker Rea hit 1-6. Then plug in your Gridleys Vickersons Robsons Hollands.

When I said this is the most unknown team we've had in recent memory.... Yeah. Can we hit great or suck, we still don't know.

Go to bed.

Probably shouldn't do this- but I don't want either/or- I want BOTH power and speed. If that's pre-Viet Nam baseball thinking, speed wouldn't be one of the five tools that scouts look for.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't know. Some have said we had a real scheduling problem when we pulled out of the tournament in Houston.

Well, the NOLA Tournament folding hurt maybe more. But where the Houston Tournament comes in is that tournament is a lot more stable- and thus less likely to fold than a first year tournament.

We replaced the Houston Tournament with San Diego- a typically solid mid major, as they may be this year. But when the NOLA Tournament folded about a year ago we had to scramble and we ended up with Alabama A&M and Marshall.

preachermatt83
03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
We've played 14 games. If this was game 50, you might have a point. I'm not trying to argue that we are a power club- but I am saying that the power that we do have has been out a lot this first month.

What we are intended to be is a team that has 4-5 power guys and 4-5 speed guys. We need both Humphreys and Rooker in the lineup the majority of the time.

It should be:

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Gridley
3B- Spruill
SS- Heck
LF- Humphreys
CF- Robson
RF- Vickerson/Smith
DH- Rooker

I think RF should be a platoon of Brown/Vickerson... Im just not nearly as high on Smith as some of you guys are. In all but 1 of his ab's this year he has looked completely lost. Cody Brown is a ball player.

I seen it dawg
03-03-2015, 11:43 PM

Well that's been brewing awhile. Hopefully you take a nap

I seen it dawg
03-03-2015, 11:45 PM

One of these days you might pick up some baseball knowledge in these threads and maybe become a baseball guy. I learn all the time from them....

Todd4State
03-04-2015, 12:32 AM
I think RF should be a platoon of Brown/Vickerson... Im just not nearly as high on Smith as some of you guys are. In all but 1 of his ab's this year he has looked completely lost. Cody Brown is a ball player.

Smith just has to get healthy and get some at bats which is what he is doing now. If he can't make it back- we have options.

Smitty
03-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Being faster is preferable obviously but it's down the list on what a hitter needs to be successful. Your classification of "speed" guys is way off. I mean was CT a "speed" guy stealing 2-5 bases? It's a bad classification. If you want a couple guys with the ability to drag bunt or steal a base that's one thing, given that hopefully they can HIT good pitching as well.. But I don't want Brandon Holloway to put on the spikes just because he has speed.

maroonmania
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
You know baseball is a strange game, APB only made solid contact on one ball the entire 8th inning where they took the lead and it resulted in us ending their inning with the DP. Biggest issue from last night was Fitts coming in and hitting a guy and then walking a guy on 4 straight pitches. That is not what you want a see from a guy that wants the closer role. The 2 "hits" that Ross Mitchell gave up in that inning were just weak hit balls on the infield that went in the right places for them.

SouthMsDawg
03-04-2015, 12:47 PM
I still think 50 plus. We have numerous guys who will hit 5-10.

We will be lucky to hit 30 as a team. No way possible we hit 50

engie
03-04-2015, 12:48 PM
The bottom line is -- this game was a shitburger that we forgot how to hit in. Holder, Fitts is not. The amount of pitches we are taking and the amount of count working we are doing is making us timid at the plate. We didn't have very many good swings last night of note.

This is what many of us were complaining about in our scheduling model. Had this been to UAB or Memphis, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it was to Arkansas Pine Bluff at home -- and that loss is going to haunt our RPI all season. Scheduling doesn't matter -- until you lose a couple. We can't afford a single additional loss like this on the season if we are to be playing postseason baseball in Dudy Noble.

ConkyMSU
03-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Cal State Fullerton lost to a SWAC team this year as well. Bad shitty game, but get over it.

maroonmania
03-04-2015, 01:40 PM
The bottom line is -- this game was a shitburger that we forgot how to hit in. Holder, Fitts is not. The amount of pitches we are taking and the amount of count working we are doing is making us timid at the plate. We didn't have very many good swings last night of note.

This is what many of us were complaining about in our scheduling model. Had this been to UAB or Memphis, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it was to Arkansas Pine Bluff at home -- and that loss is going to haunt our RPI all season. Scheduling doesn't matter -- until you lose a couple. We can't afford a single additional loss like this on the season if we are to be playing postseason baseball in Dudy Noble.

That's why its asinine to schedule like we did this year. You play enough games against ANY kind of competition in baseball and eventually you are likely to drop one. You just need enough good wins to make up for it and outside of conference games we won't have many opportunities to get good wins. Let's just hope that AZ has a good year.

It_Could_Happen
03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I just wanna say my hometown is very close to UAPB. My high school team actually played against one of their relief pitchers (he did not throw last night). I actually batted against the guy twice and we shelled him. He only throws 84-88. Last night was just an example of what happens when you don't bring your A game every night. We had a poor approach at the plate all night. A lot of our guys were pulling off the ball trying to swing to hard. Do I still think we are a good team? Yes. However, we are not good enough to not show up every night. I still think we can have a great year, but that loss last night was absolutely embarassing and I hope the players feel the same way.

maroonmania
03-04-2015, 02:44 PM
I just wanna say my hometown is very close to UAPB. My high school team actually played against one of their relief pitchers (he did not throw last night). I actually batted against the guy twice and we shelled him. He only throws 84-88. Last night was just an example of what happens when you don't bring your A game every night. We had a poor approach at the plate all night. A lot of our guys were pulling off the ball trying to swing to hard. Do I still think we are a good team? Yes. However, we are not good enough to not show up every night. I still think we can have a great year, but that loss last night was absolutely embarassing and I hope the players feel the same way.

Well I only got to watch after the resumption of the rain delay but the guy that pitched against us the last 4 innings looked as good as any pitcher we've faced this year. Big, tall lefty that was pounding the strike zone with velocity. One or two good pitchers being on their game for the opposition can totally turn around any baseball game. We certainly didn't play our best but I think that has as much to do with a terrible playing environment as anything else. We played a lot of the game with rain coming down and nobody in the stands. The loudest thing at the game was the APB dugout. Easy for us to sit at home and say that doesn't matter but these are 19 to 21 year old guys out there probably not really enjoying being out there in that situation.

State82
03-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Had this been to UAB or Memphis, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it was to Arkansas Pine Bluff at home -- and that loss is going to haunt our RPI all season. Scheduling doesn't matter -- until you lose a couple. We can't afford a single additional loss like this on the season if we are to be playing postseason baseball in Dudy Noble.

Exactly. We need to play Alcorn and Valley (one game each) just to provide them a little help but no other SWAC team should show up on the schedule ever again. It's killing us and anyone who tries to blow this off as not an overwhelming deal has paid absolutely no attention to the goings on of the selection committee recently.

ShotgunDawg
03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
This is baseball. It happens. There are night where you just suck. Just make sure it doesn't become a trend.

maroonmania
03-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Exactly. We need to play Alcorn and Valley (one game each) just to provide them a little help but no other SWAC team should show up on the schedule ever again. It's killing us and anyone who tries to blow this off as not an overwhelming deal has paid absolutely no attention to the goings on of the selection committee recently.

Agreed, heck why not play USM a home and home in weekday games in addition to the Jackson game. That would be better than all of these Alcorn St., Ark-PB, MVSU midweekers that nobody shows up to and just serve as RPI killers. At least a few people would show up to the USM games.

Todd4State
03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Agreed, heck why not play USM a home and home in weekday games in addition to the Jackson game. That would be better than all of these Alcorn St., Ark-PB, MVSU midweekers that nobody shows up to and just serve as RPI killers. At least a few people would show up to the USM games.

We won't be going to Hattiesburg to play baseball any time soon.

We may play them in Pearl and Biloxi- I'm not sure how that is going to work out. Personally I prefer that we play them once.

Todd4State
03-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I apologize if I have said this in the thread already- but I would rather play Delta State twice than a SWAC school.

State82
03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I apologize if I have said this in the thread already- but I would rather play Delta State twice than a SWAC school.

I know this was discussed within the past week but don't remember the details. If we play DSU does it count on overall record but does not figure in RPI calculations?