PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Way to WatchESPN in HD

Dallas_Dawg
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM
I recently bought a Google Chromecast from Walmart for $35. It plugs directly into an HDMI port on your TV and is as small as a thumb drive.
You then can cast apps from your smart phone or IPAD. Since I don't like tying up my phone and don't have an IPAd, I boot up my laptop and cast from a Google Chrome browser. The picture is outstanding and HD.
Just thought I would pass that along to those who don't have smart tvs or gaming systems.

archdog
03-03-2015, 09:12 PM
I got one Christmas 2013. Works great for Netflix and Hulu.

TXDawg
03-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Got one for Christmas this year. Love it!

Dawg496
03-04-2015, 10:19 AM
What do you mean tieing up your phone? On android at least you can go about doing whatever on your phone even when casting something via Chromecast.

TXDawg
03-04-2015, 11:19 AM
What do you mean tieing up your phone? On android at least you can go about doing whatever on your phone even when casting something via Chromecast.

My experience is that you can do the same on the Apple devices. Once I start a movie on my iPad and cast it to the Chromecast, I can do whatever I want with my iPad. Just have to keep in mind that although the iPad isn't streaming Netflix, it does serve as the remote control - I'm assuming this is the same for Android since Chromecast doesn't have a remote.

tireddawg
03-04-2015, 01:32 PM
That's what I was curious about. How do you contol these thumb drives? With your phone/tablet? Forgive me I'm no techy

BiscuitEater
03-04-2015, 02:33 PM
That's what I was curious about. How do you contol these thumb drives? With your phone/tablet? Forgive me I'm no techy

There isn't much to control. I just find the MSU game on my iPhone using the WatchEspn App. When the picture comes up, you press the 'cast' rectangle in the upper right corner and the game is streamed to the TV. Control the volume with the TV controls or phone. Stop or pause stream with phone.

Phone can still be used to make, receive calls, surf, tweet, keep up with game thread on ED.

You can't use the phone to view MSU Baseball Game Tracker because it NEVER EVER works.. period. This is not your phones fault.

TXDawg
03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Biscuit's right. Same also applies for Netflix. Once you're casting, the iPhone/iPad serves only to pause, stop, or add captioning. Device can be used for all other activities once casting starts.

One interesting thing to note, though. My iPad Air will intermittently drop its wifi connection (requires resetting router to fix). I was watching a show on Netflix (casting to Chromecast) once when this happened. The show continued to play normally, but I could not pause or stop it. I ended up having to reset the router (which stopped the Netflix casting) in order to reconnect the iPad, then restart everything. Kind of a PITA, but not the Chromecast's fault.

Dawg496
03-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Chromecast is by far my favorite gadget that I have. It's so easy to send anything to your TV. A ton of apps (100+) on Android are compatible with it, I'm sure a lot on iOS as well. You literally just press one button, and select which Chromecast in your house, if you have more than one, and its on your TV.

Dallas_Dawg
03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I just meant if I have to go out back and check the grill or something and get out wifi range, I would think it would stop working.
I just use the laptop so its dedicated to streaming the game only

Dawg496
03-04-2015, 06:15 PM
I just meant if I have to go out back and check the grill or something and get out wifi range, I would think it would stop working.
I just use the laptop so its dedicated to streaming the game only

Your TV keeps playing the content, you just lose the ability to control it until you reconnect.

archdog
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM
I would like to add for anyone thinking about buying a snart tv. Buy the nonsmart tv, save hundreds of dollars and buy a chromecast for every tv in your house. Cheaper and you still have every advantage.

dickiedawg
03-04-2015, 10:30 PM
I would like to add for anyone thinking about buying a snart tv. Buy the nonsmart tv, save hundreds of dollars and buy a chromecast for every tv in your house. Cheaper and you still have every advantage.

Pretty good advice, but personally I'd spend another $15/per and go with Roku streaming sticks. You'll get a dedicated remote, and in my experience and opinion the interface is way more intuitive than Chrome cast. (Full disclosure, mine is integrated with my TV remote so I can imagine the small, included remote would be tough to keep up with.