PDA

View Full Version : McCord

msstate7
03-03-2015, 07:58 AM
With Tatum, sexton, and brown emerging as weekend starters is McCord pitching for his job tonight? Or is laster gonna be relief on weekends?

bulldogcountry1
03-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Two weeks ago, many were worried about starting pitching. Now, it looks like a decent starter or two will end up in the pen. It's a good problem to have.

Cohen doesn't really like throwing freshmen into the SEC rotation, if he doesn't have to. I think McCord will likely be the weekday guy for now. We have two with WKU next week, and it will be good to have him and probably Laster for those. I'd say they are as good or better than San Diego.

maroonmania
03-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Right now my weekend rotation would be Brown (Fr), Tatum (Sa), and Sexton (Su). 3 good starters and gives you the righty, lefty, righty look for the weekend. McCord should likely be the primary weekday starter for now and then we have Mitchell, DBrown, Houston, Laster and Fitts as the main bullpen guys.

smootness
03-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Right now my weekend rotation would be Brown (Fr), Tatum (Sa), and Sexton (Su). 3 good starters and gives you the righty, lefty, righty look for the weekend. McCord should likely be the primary weekday starter for now and then we have Mitchell, DBrown, Houston, Laster and Fitts as the main bullpen guys.

You forgot Hudson haha. Our pitching is so deep, and it's set to get quite a bit better next year as well.

maroonmania
03-03-2015, 12:49 PM
You forgot Hudson haha. Our pitching is so deep, and it's set to get quite a bit better next year as well.

Hudson is certainly another good option out of the bullpen for now. At some point may again challenge for a starting role.

engie
03-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm kinda expecting to see Paul Young's debut in one of those Western Kentucky games...

RBritt
03-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Young threw to 4 batters yesterday in the Palmero center and made them look foolish. Also hit 90-91 with ease.

messageboardsuperhero
03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Young threw to 4 batters yesterday in the Palmero center and made them look foolish. Also hit 90-91 with ease.

Very good to hear... I'm interested to see how they start him out. Does he start a game against Western Kentucky? Or does he start off in the pen?

I seen it dawg
03-03-2015, 05:50 PM
McCord will be fine. He's got some growing up to do which isn't unusual for a freshman. We need to not have the expectation he is Clayton Kershaw right now. Be realistic.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 08:52 PM
McCord lost his rotation spot after his performance against Alabama A&M. Remember we play four games early in the year on the weekend.

smootness
03-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Yeah, the guys in contention for a rotation spot right now are Brown, Sexton, Tatum, and Laster. Hudson could get himself in there, and we'll just see on Young, though I doubt he'll be able to come along quickly enough to get into the rotation during SEC play.

DudyDawg
03-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Have no faith in him after tonight

War Machine Dawg
03-03-2015, 08:58 PM
He needs to sit. Let Laster, Hudson, or a random bum from the stands pitch the midweek. You pitch that bad against a SWAC team, you don't deserve to keep starting.

MsStateBaseball
03-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Butch like all coaches sometimes do, pulled him kinda shaming him to make him work harder etc, this told him to take each start seriously, maybe McCord was kind of taking it easy. I don't know. This should make him pitch better next time.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Butch like all coaches sometimes do, pulled him kinda shaming him to make him work harder etc, this told him to take each start seriously, maybe McCord was kind of taking it easy. I don't know. This should make him pitch better next time.

McCord is just not ready yet. If they made any mistake with him it was thinking that he may be a weekend starter because if anything put pressure on him, it was that. I don't think McCord took it easy- he's just wild and can't shove it in the strike zone like he needs to. I've been saying this for weeks.

preachermatt83
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM
McCord is just not ready yet. If they made any mistake with him it was thinking that he may be a weekend starter because if anything put pressure on him, it was that. I don't think McCord took it easy- he's just wild and can't shove it in the strike zone like he needs to. I've been saying this for weeks.

exactly! Very well said Todd.

preachermatt83
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM
He needs to sit. Let Laster, Hudson, or a random bum from the stands pitch the midweek. You pitch that bad against a SWAC team, you don't deserve to keep starting.

A_M_E_N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seen it dawg
03-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Glad yall don't coach our pitchers and make the decisions.

Todd4State
03-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Glad yall don't coach our pitchers and make the decisions.

I don't question pitching McCord. After a four game weekend, he is the fifth guy. He will probably start against WKU. My guess is Laster will be the midweek guy once SEC play starts.

We've got to score more than three runs against a SWAC team. I fault that much, much more than a freshman pitcher having a rough start.

McCord will be fine- Stratton, Graveman, etc. all had rough freshmen years. I think Tatum's ERA was almost five last year. It's just a process.

I seen it dawg
03-03-2015, 11:48 PM
A process...hmmm that's enlightening. Maybe some others will pick up on it.