PDA

View Full Version : scalpers at the baseball game past weekend

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I know these guys will always be there but this kinda annoyed me. You could buy a general admission ticket for 5$ and sit anywhere u wanted to including the grandstand the whole weekend - and I'm sure most people knew that.

The 3rd game my friend and I were walking into the stadium passing by the hump and we're asked by one of these guys did we need tickets out of curiosity I asked - $20 he said cos these are "center court". i just laughed but it made me think - what if someone who didn't know actually paid that. Just thought it was kinda shady situation and on a weekend where u can sit anywhere for 5$ our administration might wanna keep and eye on such things considering it's happening <100 yrs from an entry gate.

smootness
03-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Anyone trying to scalp for a game where the stands are about 1/3 - 1/2 full, especially given that the $5 will allow you to sit anywhere as you said, has way too much time on their hands. They can't be actually making money that way.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I thought the $5 tickets were for bleachers only. That change?

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
I thought the $5 tickets were for bleachers only. That change?

Went to midweek games last year and could sit anywhere with general admission. This weekend was nobody at portals checking tickets etc - yes you could sit wherever u wanted. There were actually 15+ arizona fans down the first base line in first 4 rows for the game saturday. I'm sure once SEC play starts all that changes.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Went to midweek games last year and could sit anywhere with general admission. This weekend was nobody at portals checking tickets etc - yes you could sit wherever u wanted. There were actually 15+ arizona fans down the first base line in first 4 rows for the game saturday. I'm sure once SEC play starts all that changes.

Good to know. I had been thinking about taking the family to a game but was wanting the chairbacks. I guess if you end up in the seat of a season ticket holder you can always just move. Does anybody know if kids need a ticket for baseball?

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Anyone trying to scalp for a game where the stands are about 1/3 - 1/2 full, especially given that the $5 will allow you to sit anywhere as you said, has way too much time on their hands. They can't be actually making money that way.

I'm sure they didn't and that wasnt really the point - it's just a bad look and it seems like people preying on people who don't know better. That's all.

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Good to know. I had been thinking about taking the family to a game but was wanting the chairbacks. I guess if you end up in the seat of a season ticket holder you can always just move. Does anybody know if kids need a ticket for baseball?

If someone wanted to sit in their seats im sure they would tell you and wouldnt be a big deal. We sat right behind the plate for both arizona games was alot of fun (other than almost freezing to death friday). Signs at the ticket office said all must have ticket regardless of age so I'd assume yes to the kids needing tickets.

YazooDawg23
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Scalpers are apart of the fabric of sports and it's capitalism. Chill out old man. Let a brother try to make a buck.

smootness
03-02-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm sure they didn't and that wasnt really the point - it's just a bad look and it seems like people preying on people who don't know better. That's all.

I kind of agree, though if you pay $20 to a scalper for a ticket without first attempting to just buy one from the ticket booth, you're asking for it.

Anyone walking up to the stadium can see it isn't close to being full, so you know tickets are for sale. You should always at least see what the price is before buying from a scalper. That's just kind of common sense.

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Scalpers are apart of the fabric of sports and it's capitalism. Chill out old man. Let a brother try to make a buck.

I'm 32 years old, and it's a brother trying to get a rock more likely.

smootness
03-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm 32 years old, and it's a brother trying to get a rock more likely.

Yikes

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I kind of agree, though if you pay $20 to a scalper for a ticket without first attempting to just buy one from the ticket booth, you're asking for it.

Anyone walking up to the stadium can see it isn't close to being full, so you know tickets are for sale. You should always at least see what the price is before buying from a scalper. That's just kind of common sense.

I agree with all of that and in general I dont have a problem with scalpers they can serve their purpose - just thought it was a bad look considering everything else. I was just playing out different scenerios in my head - first time ppl coming wanting to sit in chairbacks etc get con'd (cos say what you want with 5$ anywhere seating that's basically a con) - might leave a bad taste in someones mouth.

BeastMan
03-02-2015, 03:09 PM
It pisses me off that fans actually give these guys free tickets. Take a little bit of effort and get a good Bulldog in your seat. Don't get a good Bulldog ripped up.

A cpl years back I was going to a big bball game. I ask scalper what he wants and he says fifty. I said I'd give him 25 and he got pissed. I told him tip-off was in 5 mins and those tickets would be worthless paper. Why not take this 25? He says they were given to him and he could care less. He's throw them away if he didn't get 50. When you give your tickets to these a-holes, that's what you're doing. You aren't doing a good deed.

smootness
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
It pisses me off that fans actually give these guys free tickets. Take a little bit of effort and get a good Bulldog in your seat. Don't get a good Bulldog ripped up.

A cpl years back I was going to a big bball game. I ask scalper what he wants and he says fifty. I said I'd give him 25 and he got pissed. I told him tip-off was in 5 mins and those tickets would be worthless paper. Why not take this 25? He says they were given to him and he could care less. He's throw them away if he didn't get 50. When you give your tickets to these a-holes, that's what you're doing. You aren't doing a good deed.

This is a good point, but my gosh, the stupidity if you really did get them for free.

First, if you got them for free, the smart thing to do (if they're being sold for $5) is to sell them for 4 dollars, not 20.

Second, if you throw away $25 because you didn't pay for the ticket to begin with, I don't know what to say. So if they had paid even $5 for the ticket, they would take the $25, but since they paid $0, they'll throw the $25 away? That is hilariously dumb.

bulldogcountry1
03-02-2015, 04:40 PM
After suffering in the bleachers many times because the chairbacks were "sold out", yet 1/3rd full, I decided that I was more than happy to pay a scalper face value for chairback ticket. I was glad they were there to give me an option until I was able to get season tickets.

As for those who overpay for tickets when it's obviously not necessary, just call it a learning experience. There's only 3 occasions where paying more than full price would be reasonable: SBW, UM, and LSU.

State82
03-02-2015, 04:41 PM

This. Whenever I have extras I just give them to someone like parents with kids or older folks. Saturday I gave them to a mother with her boys. Sometimes it takes a little extra effort but get them in the hands of people that will use them properly.

JohnnyQuid
03-02-2015, 04:49 PM
After suffering in the bleachers many times because the chairbacks were "sold out", yet 1/3rd full, I decided that I was more than happy to pay a scalper face value for chairback ticket. I was glad they were there to give me an option until I was able to get season tickets.

You're absolutely right and as I said there are times they definately serve their purpose. This weekend though just wasnt one of them and the only thing is was doing was setting up an opportunity for someone unsuspecting/uneducated about non-conference seating to get taken advantage of. If chairbacks were sold out / not open to everyone for this game and he was wanting to sell that ticket for $20 I am certain I wouldnt have made this post to begin with.

I had just played with scenerios in my head and just curious others opinions of it. Not a huge thing, but it is what it is. Some of the onus certainly falls on the buyer tho.

Treemydawg
03-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Yes, you will need tickets for the kids I took both of mine a couple of weeks ago and they got to run out on the field with Robson and Humphreys. They will never forget that experience for the rest of their lives. We got to the game about a hour early and the girls inside the gate asked if they would like to run out with the team, so if you get there early enough they should still be looking for kids to run out with them.

godlluB
03-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Yes, kids need tickets, but if you intend to go to many games, sign them up for Bully's Kids Club (it used to be the Junior Bulldog Club). I costs around $35, but one of the perks is free entry into baseball games.Kids can join up to 13 years old.

dickiedawg
03-03-2015, 07:39 AM

As for those who overpay for tickets when it's obviously not necessary, just call it a learning experience. There's only 3 occasions where paying more than full price would be reasonable: SBW, UM, and LSU.
I'm not sure I agree with your last sentence. Any SEC game, where they're checking tickets to get into the grandstand, I'd rather pay a scalper 30-40 bucks to get decent seats than pay the ticket office $20 and sit in the bleachers.

LibraryDawg
03-03-2015, 07:55 AM
A couple of years ago when we hosted the regional, I had a scalper ask $60 a piece for two chair backs. I went to the ticket window and paid $10 a piece for general admission.