View Full Version : Braves -- spring training position battles

msstate7
03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Cf-- Perez, Cunningham, Eric young jr, and almonte

2b -- callaspo, Peterson, gosselin, and peraza

LF -- young jr, kelly johnson, and almonte to platoon with gomes

5th starter -- folty, wandy, stults, and banuelos

Who you think wins these battles?

If 2 of the 5th starter candidates pitch well, do we deal minor?

I'm excited about this spring training.

Wednesday wandy gets the first start

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2015, 09:00 AM
This is sad. I recognize basically none of those names. It's almost like I quit watching baseball for 10 years and then decided to pick it up again.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 09:05 AM
This is sad. I recognize basically none of those names. It's almost like I quit watching baseball for 10 years and then decided to pick it up again.

A lot of those names are prospects that have very few mlb at bats and innings pitched

MetEdDawg
03-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I want us to deal Minor. I think we can live without him and have good enough guys ready to play that don't cost nearly as much in terms of money.

I would really like to go young this year. We've had success in the past with our young guys making big time contributions early. Heyward, Freeman, McCann, Simmons, just to name a few recently. I say we roll with Peraza and Folty for sure. Not sure about the OF yet but I'm interested to see what direction we decide to go in.

I'm actually surprisingly interested in how we do this year. I don't think people expect much from us, but I think we will be a much better contact hitting team. Small ball, do your job, low scoring team. We won't have the long ball but we will also cut down significantly on the number of strikeouts, especially with men on base. I can't even think about how many times we struck out with guys on base last year.

dawgs
03-02-2015, 10:26 AM
If y'all are hell bent on dealing minor, y'all should at least see if he can have a good start to the season so y'all can maximize the return. Given his 2014, his value is pretty low right now.

smootness
03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
If y'all are hell bent on dealing minor, y'all should at least see if he can have a good start to the season so y'all can maximize the return. Given his 2014, his value is pretty low right now.

This

There's no point in trading him now unless a team blows you away with an offer. Saving money on him doesn't really matter as we already have the roster set. We're not going to go sign or trade for anybody with that money. If he pitches well this year, I have little doubt we will deal him before the deadline.

I do hope Folty starts the year in the rotation, but we need to keep Peraza down for the first couple of months to keep his clock from starting. Though I agree with the move to start Heyward on Opening Day in 2010, if we had kept him down, we would have had an extra year on his contract to either keep him longer or get more return in a trade for him.

I'm interested in the team this year but not because I think we'll overachieve or win many games. I'm just interested to see some of the young guys - Peraza eventually, Jace Peterson, Bethancourt, Folty, Eury Perez, etc.

But I am far more interested in keeping up with our minor league teams this year.

shoeless joe
03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't deal minor.

smootness
03-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't deal minor.

We almost certainly will at some point. We have too much young pitching with higher ceilings that will much cheaper in a couple years.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't deal minor.

Earlier in his career demanding to start and now arbitration... He's good as gone this year imo

shoeless joe
03-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Just based off what I have seen I wouldn't deal him just to deal him. If we get a ton in return then ok. I would hate to deal him and then in a couple years be needing a solid middle of the rotation lefty and minor be filling that role for the Nats, mets, or some other rival.

smootness
03-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Just based off what I have seen I wouldn't deal him just to deal him. If we get a ton in return then ok. I would hate to deal him and then in a couple years be needing a solid middle of the rotation lefty and minor be filling that role for the Nats, mets, or some other rival.

The chances of us needing a middle of the rotation pitcher, given our young, talented options, are very low.

And we wouldn't just be dealing him to deal him. We would also be saving quite a bit of money, which could come in handy on the off-chance we did need a guy a couple years down the road.

For a team in the Braves' current situation, you just don't keep a decent veteran pitcher who costs a lot of money on your team for the next couple of years so that you can have a 3-4 starter, best-case scenario, in the future. Especially if you can get a decent return for the guy.

dawgs
03-02-2015, 04:31 PM
The chances of us needing a middle of the rotation pitcher, given our young, talented options, are very low.

And we wouldn't just be dealing him to deal him. We would also be saving quite a bit of money, which could come in handy on the off-chance we did need a guy a couple years down the road.

For a team in the Braves' current situation, you just don't keep a decent veteran pitcher who costs a lot of money on your team for the next couple of years so that you can have a 3-4 starter, best-case scenario, in the future. Especially if you can get a decent return for the guy.

I can't imagine minor's arbitration would be that much. More than he's making now, sure, but he's not gonna be breaking the bank.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 04:44 PM
I can't imagine minor's arbitration would be that much. More than he's making now, sure, but he's not gonna be breaking the bank.

It's the fact he took the braves to arbitration. Pretty sure it had been 14 years since a braves player had. He got 500k more than the braves offered I believe

dawgs
03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
It's the fact he took the braves to arbitration. Pretty sure it had been 14 years since a braves player had. He got 500k more than the braves offered I believe

Braves need to grow up if they are gonna get butthurt over a player using his rights as a player to maximize his income.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Braves need to grow up if they are gonna get butthurt over a player using his rights as a player to maximize his income.
The Braves thought they made a fair offer. I can't believe minor won after that garbage of a season he put up. I just think the Braves and most their fans are ready to move on from minor. He's a crybaby that isn't as good as he thinks he is. The Braves felt they had locker room issues last year which is why they brought in guys like markakis, aj, and gomes. I just feel like minor is on his way out.

(WHOLE lotta speculation on my part)

smootness
03-02-2015, 05:16 PM

Minor's already in his second year of arbitration. He made $3.85 million last year, and it jumped to $5.7 million this year, which is already more than the Braves want to be paying him. He should be eligible for FA next year, or at least by 2017.

His salary will go up again next year, and veteran pitchers with a reasonable record of success command a lot in free agency.

We will have much cheaper options, and again, these guys have more talent anyway.

shoeless joe
03-02-2015, 05:17 PM
The Braves thought they made a fair offer. I can't believe minor won after that garbage of a season he put up. I just think the Braves and most their fans are ready to move on from minor. He's a crybaby that isn't as good as he thinks he is. The Braves felt they had locker room issues last year which is why they brought in guys like markakis, aj, and gomes. I just feel like minor is on his way out.

(WHOLE lotta speculation on my part)

I just disagree.

Nothing about minor makes me think he's a selfish uncoachable player, like the ones they've gotten rid of. I guess I just see some potential there from the left side. He's shown flashes, inconsistency has gotten him up to this point.

smootness
03-02-2015, 05:20 PM
I just disagree.

Nothing about minor makes me think he's a selfish uncoachable player, like the ones they've gotten rid of. I guess I just see some potential there from the left side. He's shown flashes, inconsistency has gotten him up to this point.

Minor's fine, he's a decent pitcher. But again, the Braves have loads of young pitching talent now, and they already have 3 long-term guys in the rotation in Teheran, Wood, and Miller. There's just no use in paying a guy like Minor for the next 2-3 years on teams that aren't going to really compete if you can get some more good young talent in return.

Dawg61
03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
I am not calling BJ Upton Melvin. Dude is a basket case. Now he's suddenly "Melvin". He might be the worst signing in Braves history.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
The only way I see minor on the braves at the end of the season is if we somehow contend.

I hope he looks great and we trade him at the break for an OF prospect.

shoeless joe
03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Minor's fine, he's a decent pitcher. But again, the Braves have loads of young pitching talent now, and they already have 3 long-term guys in the rotation in Teheran, Wood, and Miller. There's just no use in paying a guy like Minor for the next 2-3 years on teams that aren't going to really compete if you can get some more good young talent in return.

All good points.

Again, if we get a good return I'm fine with a trade, just like with some other guys. But if it's me, I'm not "looking" to trade him.

dawgs
03-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Minor's already in his second year of arbitration. He made $3.85 million last year, and it jumped to $5.7 million this year, which is already more than the Braves want to be paying him. He should be eligible for FA next year, or at least by 2017.

His salary will go up again next year, and veteran pitchers with a reasonable record of success command a lot in free agency.

We will have much cheaper options, and again, these guys have more talent anyway.

I'm just saying I would see if he has a good first half of the season and then deal him, maximizing his return. Trading him off a 4.77 era or whatever it was is a bad move. Put some distance and results in between him and 2014, then swing him in a deal.

BoomBoom
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM

pretty sure he's a Super Two that is arb eligible again in 2016 and 2017. not a FA until 2018.

Minor had his off-season work derailed last year by injury. supposedly he's healthy now, but teams assume he's not as they should. if he really is healthy and can bounce back to 2013 numbers, then he's worth a couple good prospects. he could end up the best pitcher on the market at the deadline, with 2.5 years of team control. right now he's not worth jack though. most likely he brings at least a good prospect back, and that's worth a ton more than about the $3M in salary until then. plus it lets them promote someone when he's traded, which keeps that rookie down in the minors delaying his clock, which by itself is worth a few million most likely.

msstate7
03-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Tyrell jenkins has been most impressive pitcher so far for braves...

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20150302&content_id=110907788&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

smootness
03-02-2015, 09:02 PM
pretty sure he's a Super Two that is arb eligible again in 2016 and 2017. not a FA until 2018.

Minor had his off-season work derailed last year by injury. supposedly he's healthy now, but teams assume he's not as they should. if he really is healthy and can bounce back to 2013 numbers, then he's worth a couple good prospects. he could end up the best pitcher on the market at the deadline, with 2.5 years of team control. right now he's not worth jack though. most likely he brings at least a good prospect back, and that's worth a ton more than about the $3M in salary until then. plus it lets them promote someone when he's traded, which keeps that rookie down in the minors delaying his clock, which by itself is worth a few million most likely.

I think you're right about his arbitration. He'll still make a good bit before he hits FA, though.

But we agree. I think we should wait and trade him around the deadline if he turns it around. I'm not suggesting we trade him now, and I'm certainly not suggesting we keep him long-term.

msstate7
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Atlanta Braves?@Braves?22 secs22 seconds ago
#Braves announce LHP Mike Minor has been scratched from his scheduled start on Sunday vs. Houston w/ tightness in his left shoulder

Mark Bowman ?@mlbbowman
Though the #Braves aren't ready to say it, Minor will likely not be ready to start the season. No reason to have him repeat last year.

David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC
#Braves will probably have Minor get shoulder checked out, had MRIs last season that were clean, might look at back/traps/lats, etc

Well this is never good news. Everytime I hear of a pitcher with shoulder issues, I think of tommy Hanson.

shoeless joe
03-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Shoulder issues=bad news for a career

smootness
03-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Ugh. Either the Braves are just more unlucky than most w/ pitcher injuries, or we need to change the way we're doing things.

Looks like Minor may go the way of Beachy and Medlen where we just have to let him go for nothing at some point.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 07:09 AM
Wednesday's winner:

Jace Peterson -- showed great versatility in the field by playing SS and playing it well. He was 1-1 with a double and 2 walks.

Really want Peterson to win the 2b job until peraza is ready. When peraza is ready, slide Peterson to 3b and get rid of johnson.

Wednesday's loser:

Matt Capps -- pitched an inning and gave up 2 hits, 1 bb, and 2 er.

Mark Bowman @mlbbowman
Capps' fastball is sitting around 86-87 mph

Political Hack
03-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I am not calling BJ Upton Melvin. Dude is a basket case. Now he's suddenly "Melvin". He might be the worst signing in Braves history.

he might be the worst free agent signing in MLB history. Melvin can't hit, can't get on base, and the best thing about him (his brother) is gone. At least the last few years we had the "well, at least we got his brother too" argument. They sort of evened each other out when JUp was playing well.

Minor has tightness in his shoulder already. His trade value has to be next to nothing.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
So what are expectations for this year? Probably middle of the division or are we going to completely tank? 2 years until the new stadium so who do we have from this team on opening day 2017?

smootness
03-05-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm really interested to see what Peterson does. I think his most likely post long-term in MLB is as a super utility guy, but he does have a chance to stick somewhere as a starter.

I think there's a chance he can become a high average, high OBP guy with good defense and good speed and make for a nice MIF. That would certainly be nice for us over the next 2-3 years.

The problem for Peterson in Atlanta is, Simmons and Peraza are clearly the future at SS/2B, and I don't think Peterson's bat will play well enough to be a 3B long-term. Also, Ruiz and Albies are 3B options with higher ceilings within 2-3 years in the system.

I would love for Peterson to be able to give us quality at 2B until Peraza comes up, then shift to 3B, as you mentioned, until one of the young guys is ready, when he can then have huge value as a super utility guy.

shoeless joe
03-05-2015, 11:56 AM
So what are expectations for this year? Probably middle of the division or are we going to completely tank? 2 years until the new stadium so who do we have from this team on opening day 2017?

Freeman and Simmons are the only two definites in my mind as far as position players. Pitchers are a little different because one injury can change things so much but I would imagine wood and Teheran will still be around.

I can speak much on some of the newer younger guys.

smootness
03-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Oh, it's going to be a rough year. We'll probably stay ahead of the Phillies because they're just awful, but I doubt we're higher than 4th. I would be pleasantly surprised with 75 wins, honestly.

As for who will still be on the team in 3 years, I would say most of the young pitching - Teheran, Wood, Miller, Kimbrel, Foltynewicz, Banuelos, Vizcaino, along with Simmons, Freeman, and Peterson. Markakis will still be under contract. And Bethancourt will still be around if he hits well enough. There's a chance a young OF like Eury Perez is still around, too, if he plays well enough.

After that, you're probably going to have a bunch of guys who are currently 1-2 years away in the minors - Tyrell Jenkins, Peraza, Rio Ruiz, hopefully Mallex Smith.

dawgs
03-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Pretty much every ranking I've seen has the Braves in the bottom 5 of MLB with arguably the worst offense.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
Freeman and Simmons are the only two definites in my mind as far as position players. Pitchers are a little different because one injury can change things so much but I would imagine wood and Teheran will still be around.

I can speak much on some of the newer younger guys.

You're forgetting Markakis, CJ, and Bethancourt. No way those 3 guys aren't Opening Day starters, whether you agree with it or not.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Wednesday's winner:

Jace Peterson -- showed great versatility in the field by playing SS and playing it well. He was 1-1 with a double and 2 walks.

Really want Peterson to win the 2b job until peraza is ready. When peraza is ready, slide Peterson to 3b and get rid of johnson.

Wednesday's loser:

Matt Capps -- pitched an inning and gave up 2 hits, 1 bb, and 2 er.

Mark Bowman @mlbbowman
Capps' fastball is sitting around 86-87 mph

I'd think Callaspo is pretty much a lock to at 2B, although Peterson will probably play some. Regardless, they're placeholders until Peraza is ready.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
You're forgetting Markakis, CJ, and Bethancourt. No way those 3 guys aren't Opening Day starters, whether you agree with it or not.

He's talking about 2017. There's no way Chris Johnson will still be on the roster at that point, and there's a chance Bethancourt isn't.

smootness
03-05-2015, 02:46 PM
I'd think Callaspo is pretty much a lock to at 2B, although Peterson will probably play some. Regardless, they're placeholders until Peraza is ready.

IMO, it would be a big mistake to start Callaspo there instead of Peterson. If we're going young, then we need to figure out if the young guys can play.

We know what Callaspo is - a 32-year-old MIF with no bat, no speed, and below-average defense. I guarantee Peterson is better right now and also actually may play a role in the future.

I'm not saying you're wrong that he'll start, just that it would be a terrible decision that doesn't help us now and does nothing for us down the road.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 04:35 PM
IMO, it would be a big mistake to start Callaspo there instead of Peterson. If we're going young, then we need to figure out if the young guys can play.

We know what Callaspo is - a 32-year-old MIF with no bat, no speed, and below-average defense. I guarantee Peterson is better right now and also actually may play a role in the future.

I'm not saying you're wrong that he'll start, just that it would be a terrible decision that doesn't help us now and does nothing for us down the road.

Callaspo reported in overweight. I wouldn't write him in with a pen just yet.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
@mlbbowman
The #Braves have not set an exact day, but the plan is for Dr. Andrews to evaluate Minor's shoulder early next week. #Braves

smootness
03-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Callaspo reported in overweight. I wouldn't write him in with a pen just yet.

If a guy who OPS'd at .580 last year showed up overweight, he should be cut. That's a clear indication he just doesn't care.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
@mlbbowman
The #Braves have not set an exact day, but the plan is for Dr. Andrews to evaluate Minor's shoulder early next week. #Braves

Words that you never want to hear or that bode well for $1000, Alex.

msstate7
03-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Words that you never want to hear or that bode well for $1000, Alex.

Exactly what I was thinking.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC
#Braves Minor seems confident that shoulder not serious, hopes Dr. Andrews can tell him something next week, perhaps an impingement

smootness
03-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of a guy coming out of a visit with James Andrews and saying, 'Nope, everything looks good!'

Cabo32
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of a guy coming out of a visit with James Andrews and saying, 'Nope, everything looks good!'

You're right..because most of the time its other orthopedic docs that are recommending the athletes go see Andrews for further evaluation

smootness
03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
You're right..because most of the time its other orthopedic docs that are recommending the athletes go see Andrews for further evaluation

Well, I guess it's also concerning when a guy already knows Andrews well enough to just go straight to him haha.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Well, I guess it's also concerning when a guy already knows Andrews well enough to just go straight to him haha.

He could just work on brave pitchers and never miss a day of work*

MS_half-step
03-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Saw recently too where the Braves now have a position titled TJ rehab coordinator. Never a good thing, but probably smart nonetheless since they have so many now.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Saw recently too where the Braves now have a position titled TJ rehab coordinator. Never a good thing, but probably smart nonetheless since they have so many now.

We have enough of our own, but now we're trading for more

msstate7
03-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Uggla (nats) just singled off wood. Watch uggla end up starting 2b for nats and have a great bounce back year

Dawg61
03-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Uggla (nats) just singled off wood. Watch uggla end up starting 2b for nats and have a great bounce back year

Unless he magically changes that horrible twitchy stance I wouldn't worry too much. Seems like a head case to me.

dawgs
03-06-2015, 02:49 PM

Ha doubtful. Escobar will probably start and Espinoza will be the UTIL IF.

msstate7
03-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Peterson at it again today...

2-3 2 r's 1st hit off zimmermann

smootness
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Peterson at it again today...

2-3 2 r's 1st hit off zimmermann

Good stuff. He at least showed up to compete.

War Machine Dawg
03-06-2015, 07:59 PM

Way to freak out over one meaningless AB in the first week of spring training. Uggla is done.

msstate7
03-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Robert Murray
?@RobertMurrayDR
Source: Belief in industry is that the #Braves have an offer of roughly $50 million out to Hector Olivera.

msstate7
03-08-2015, 02:11 AM
Way to freak out over one meaningless AB in the first week of spring training. Uggla is done.

He's hitting .333 so far. Supposedly his vision is much better bc of marquis Grissom referring uggla to his eye doctor...

http://natsinsider.com/2015/02/22/uggla-hopes-better-vision-helps-revive-career-with-nats/

War Machine Dawg
03-08-2015, 02:20 AM
He's hitting .333 so far. Supposedly his vision is much better bc of marquis Grissom referring uggla to his eye doctor...

http://natsinsider.com/2015/02/22/uggla-hopes-better-vision-helps-revive-career-with-nats/

I repeat: Uggla is done. He had a good spring training with the Braves the season we cut him, if my memory is correct. We've seen the same stuff before about his vision being improved. When the season starts, the games actually matter, and pitchers are actually trying to get you out instead of work on their stuff, Uggla will show he's the same sub-Mendoza hitter he was in Atlanta and SF. His bat speed is pretty much gone, too.

MS_half-step
03-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Word is that Olivera may need...gulp TJ. Probably why the Braves are interested. Geez.

In other news, Shelby Miller didn't have the best start yesterday lasting only 0.1 of an inning. Still early though.

msstate7
03-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Word is that Olivera may need...gulp TJ. Probably why the Braves are interested. Geez.

In other news, Shelby Miller didn't have the best start yesterday lasting only 0.1 of an inning. Still early though.

Heard the same about TJ surgery. Anyone know recovery time on TJ surgery for non-pitchers?

Miller was bad, but I think he'll be fine

BoomBoom
03-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I repeat: Uggla is done. He had a good spring training with the Braves the season we cut him, if my memory is correct. We've seen the same stuff before about his vision being improved. When the season starts, the games actually matter, and pitchers are actually trying to get you out instead of work on their stuff, Uggla will show he's the same sub-Mendoza hitter he was in Atlanta and SF. His bat speed is pretty much gone, too.

I don't think he's done, but pitchers won't be throwing much breaking pitches for a couple weeks.

msstate7
03-08-2015, 03:55 PM
9 pitchers combine on no hitter today vs Houston. 2-2 final/10 innings

Peterson 2/4 with another run scored. He's now hitting .417 this spring.

msstate7
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
David Lee ?@David11Lee 50m50 minutes ago
Biggest takeaway so far this spring for me is Manny Banuelos. Showed feel for CB/CH Saturday after struggling with it in '14 after surgery.

David Lee ?@David11Lee 60m60 minutes ago View translation
Braves Player Notes: Foltynewicz, Peraza, Banuelos, Kurcz, others. http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/blog-post/david-lee/2015-03-08/braves-notes-foltynewicz-peraza-banuelos-others ?

msstate7
03-09-2015, 11:57 AM
@DOBrienAJC
#Braves LH Minor seeing Doc Andrews this afternoon in Pensacola. Team probably won't know or at least announce anything till Tuesday.

Kyle Tait?@MBravesRadio?8 mins8 minutes ago
#Braves optioned LHP Ian Thomas and INF Elmer Reyes to Gwinnett

Capps released

Political Hack
03-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Minor should put Andrews on retainer.

msstate7
03-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Jon Morosi?@jonmorosi?47s47 seconds ago
#Braves having ongoing conversations with Hector Olivera's camp, source confirms. @BenBadler listed them as among favorites to sign him.

msstate7
03-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Zach Klein?@ZachKleinWSB?3 mins3 minutes ago

Per MLB league source:
No structural damage on Mike Minor. He'll get rest for a few weeks

Good news

msstate7
03-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Kevin McAlpin?@KevinMcAlpin?5 mins5 minutes ago
Hart (on Minor): "the MRI's were as clean as you want to see. The shoulder is strong. He's got a little inflammation in the rotator cuff"

Mark Bowman?@mlbbowman?17 mins17 minutes ago
Minor will shut down for the next two weeks. This could put him on a similar schedule as last year, when he joined Atlanta's rotation in May

David OBrien?@DOBrienAJC?21 mins21 minutes ago
#Braves Minor no structural damage in shoulder, just inflammation in rotator cuff. Got injection, will shut it down for 2 wks, then evaluate

msstate7
03-11-2015, 03:50 PM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 21s22 seconds ago
#Braves prospect Jace Peterson keeps impressing, today showed he could fill in at SS, as well as play a solid 2B.

Gotta figure Peterson is a lock to make the team at this point. Really like this kid

msstate7
03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I know it's spring, but these 3 are looking good...

Peterson -- .360 avg .836 ops (before game today)

Simmons -- .533 avg 1.250 ops (before game today)

Bethancourt -- .375 avg .749 ops (before game today)

All of them have teed off on clay buchholtz today...

Peterson has double
Simmons 2 hits, 2 rbi's
CB 2 doubles

If these 3 can produce some this year, this might not be a terrible year

smootness
03-17-2015, 02:28 PM
I know it's spring, but these 3 are looking good...

Peterson -- .360 avg .836 ops (before game today)

Simmons -- .533 avg 1.250 ops (before game today)

Bethancourt -- .375 avg .749 ops (before game today)

All of them have teed off on clay buchholtz today...

Peterson has double
Simmons 2 hits, 2 rbi's
CB 2 doubles

If these 3 can produce some this year, this might not be a terrible year

I think it's going to be a long year regardless, but they have showed some promising signs. The problem with all three is a lack of either on-base skills or power. They will all have to hit for a really high average to have much value offensively. I would put their ceilings this year as:

Peterson - .275/.335/.380
Simmons - .280/.320/.410
Bethancourt - .260/.285/.390

Now, I would take all of that in a heartbeat obviously, and given the defense they will all bring, it would make them productive players. But it still doesn't really change what the Braves will be this year, which is about a 70-75 win team.

msstate7
03-17-2015, 02:51 PM
I think it's going to be a long year regardless, but they have showed some promising signs. The problem with all three is a lack of either on-base skills or power. They will all have to hit for a really high average to have much value offensively. I would put their ceilings this year as:

Peterson - .275/.335/.380
Simmons - .280/.320/.410
Bethancourt - .260/.285/.390

Now, I would take all of that in a heartbeat obviously, and given the defense they will all bring, it would make them productive players. But it still doesn't really change what the Braves will be this year, which is about a 70-75 win team.

Someone will have to protect FF (hopefully markakis) and the pitching will have to be special. I think the pitching could be great.

smootness
03-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Someone will have to protect FF (hopefully markakis) and the pitching will have to be special. I think the pitching could be great.

I think the pitching will be good, potentially very good. Personally, I wouldn't take it to 'great'.

Teheran and Wood have the chance to be special, and I think Miller will at least be solid. Minor's health is again an issue, and he needs a real bounce back after last year. So I think there are serious question marks about the other 2 spots in the rotation. Who takes the #5 job? Folty? Wandy? Banuelos? Wang? With the number of options, I do think we'll find somebody at least serviceable there. So starting pitching should be pretty good. The bullpen is a big question mark, though. Kimbrel is Kimbrel, and I like Vizcaino, but I'm not sure about the rest. It definitely won't be to the level of some we've seen in the past.

I don't really care about wins this year. I just want to see certain things:
1) health from young SP
2) one or two of the veteran RP to bounce back so we can flip them at the deadline
3) improvement from Simmons at the plate
4) promising things from the young guys - Folty, Bethancourt, Peterson, Eury Perez

The rest of my enjoyment will come from the farm system, which should be fun to watch. Each level will have several guys to watch.

A - Davidson, Albies, Sanchez, Fulenchek
A+ - Dustin Peterson, Camargo, Thurman
AA - Jenkins, Ruiz, Sims, Mallex Smith
AAA - Peraza, Hursh, Banuelos, maybe Folty

msstate7
03-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Keith Law's list of potential breakouts for 2015:

1. Shelby Miller SP ATL
2. Kevin Gausman SP BAL
3. Taijuan Walker SP SEA
4. Nick Castellanos 3B DET
5. Drew Hutchison SP TOR
6. Xander Bogaerts SS BOS
7. Trevor Bauer SP CLE
8. Jason Heyward RF STL
9. Jacob Turner SP CHC

msstate7
03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Jon Heyman?@JonHeymanCBS?31 secs32 seconds ago ?Orlando, FL
jace peterson is playing better than he did in padres system and will win likely win the braves 2b job

msstate7
03-20-2015, 06:01 PM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 2m2 minutes ago
Veteran lefty Wandy Rodriguez likely has rotation spot already secured, #Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said http://on-ajc.com/1C70zMk

War Machine Dawg
03-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran lefty Wandy Rodriguez likely has rotation spot already secured, #Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said http://on-ajc.com/1C70zMk

Figures we wouldn't go with a young arm. That said, I trust McDowell. He's the pitcher whisperer. Look at what he did with Harang.

msstate7
03-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Figures we wouldn't go with a young arm. That said, I trust McDowell. He's the pitcher whisperer. Look at what he did with Harang.

Wandy's been outstanding this spring. He's got a 0.75 era

He threw 5 no-hit innings tonight. Struck out 7 against pretty much the Marlins' starters

msstate7
03-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Jim Bowden ?@JimBowden_ESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Re: #Braves Jace Peterson Gonzalez "Best def 2B I've had in 8yrs" Freeman "His swing is going to play for a longtime. short & quick to ball"

Think we could see Peraza move to cf. We really seem to like Peterson

Markakis supposed to play tomorrow

shoeless joe
03-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Listening to shuerholz during the interview and it was obvious with every answer given that selfish, loser mentality, bad apples were the ones shipped out.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Listening to shuerholz during the interview and it was obvious with every answer given that selfish, loser mentality, bad apples were the ones shipped out.

Jhey?

shoeless joe
03-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I think he became one of those guys yes. I think new scenery and a couple swing adjustment ya and he could reach his potential. But he wasnt gonna do it in Atlanta. Surrounded by negativity it's easy to join in. Just my opinion but I think it's obvious the direction the team is headed and what they're trying to get away from.

The main one left is CJ. I do think getting rid of those others will help improve what Melvin brings to the team.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 01:09 PM
10:15 AM
@mlbbowman
Mike Minor is scheduled to begin his throwing program again this week. Still some hope he might be ready in late April or early May.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Two things:

1) Heyward was absolutely not a selfish bad apple.

2) Chris Johnson is also absolutely not that. We're trying to move him because he isn't very good and is obviously overpaid, but he is not at all a selfish guy. He is the most consistently available, humble guy on the roster. He's willing to do whatever the organization wants him to do. He's passionate, which sometimes boils over into anger, but he's not at all the kind of guy you're painting him to be.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Oh, and yes, Melvin absolutely is that type of guy.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Oh, and yes, Melvin absolutely is that type of guy.

Bj was. Melvin isnt*

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Bj was. Melvin isnt*

Haha +1

shoeless joe
03-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Two things:

1) Heyward was absolutely not a selfish bad apple.

2) Chris Johnson is also absolutely not that. We're trying to move him because he isn't very good and is obviously overpaid, but he is not at all a selfish guy. He is the most consistently available, humble guy on the roster. He's willing to do whatever the organization wants him to do. He's passionate, which sometimes boils over into anger, but he's not at all the kind of guy you're painting him to be.

I'll just put it like this: if bobby was still around Chris Johnson wouldn't be, or at least he wouldn't be playing. And IMO Heyward is rite there with the others. He fell into the crowd. If shuerholz and hart felt he was going to be a positive clubhouse guy that's worth the money he's gonna want they would not have traded him.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Bobby is still around, and his hand is still in the organization in a pretty big way. It was partly his decision to both keep Fredi (who is extremely similar to Bobby) and to give Hart the job.

What you see on the field is a guy who goes over the line sometimes, but it's because he cares. Guys like Melvin and Justin Upton don't truly care. That is the problem. Chris Johnson is a problem because he's making too much and doesn't get on base, but it absolutely isn't his attitude.

And we traded Heyward because we didn't believe he would sign with us in FA, not because he was a 'bad apple'. I wouldn't necessarily call him a 'locker room guy' or leader in the sense of a Markakis or Gomes, but he certainly didn't hurt the clubhouse. They just made an assessment that he would take the biggest FA contract, which we couldn't offer.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Markakis 2-3 in first ST action including a double

msstate7
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Markakis comes back and we get 19 hits with 14 runs. Maybe the offense won't be terrible...

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Markakis comes back and we get 19 hits with 14 runs. Maybe the offense won't be terrible...

You put way too much stock into what happens in spring training. It's really pretty worthless outside of injuries and position battles. Braves are gonna struggle to score and be lucky to win 75.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
You put way too much stock into what happens in spring training. It's really pretty worthless outside of injuries and position battles. Braves are gonna struggle to score and be lucky to win 75.

I don't think you can put very much stock in ST, but I don't think you can completely discount it either. I watch/listen to the first few innings of each game when mostly starters are in the games. This team is making much better contact -- no where near the strikeouts. I'm not calling a playoff run, but I will make one prediction: we score more runs than last year even without jhey, jup, and gattis.

smootness
03-23-2015, 08:21 PM
I would be very surprised if we end up scoring more runs, though it is possible.

We didn't struggle to score runs because of Ks, though. It's because guys just didn't hit well, period. We struck out similarly the year before when we hit well and won 96.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 08:30 PM
I would be very surprised if we end up scoring more runs, though it is possible.

We didn't struggle to score runs because of Ks, though. It's because guys just didn't hit well, period. We struck out similarly the year before when we hit well and won 96.

We were #1 in NL in homeruns in '13. We were #11 in NL in hr's last year. We quit generating power while continuing to strike out.

We were 29th out of 30 mlb teams in runs scored last season. We won't be that bad. Bookmark me.

smootness
03-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Right, and I'm saying that it was the drop in HRs and hits in general, not the Ks, that was the problem.

We may improve, but it definitely won't be by much. And we could score less.

Really Clark?
03-23-2015, 09:15 PM

You are right our K numbers were about the same but we had a big drop in HR and as well as OBP. Our average was .241 last year and .249 in 2013. Not much difference and both below league avg. Outside of HR our XBH totals were similar both years. Losing 60 HR from 2013 to 2014 hurt a lot. But we also had trouble scoring runners and getting timely hits especially late in the season. I do think we will score more this year but will it be league avg? That I don't know.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Eury Perez to AAA. Eric young jr will be cf till upton's back

MS_half-step
03-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Easy decision imo

smootness
03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah, Young is the clear guy to take the job for now, though I'm intrigued by Perez. I hope he hits well at AAA and gives us a potential option.

His minor league career has been good, I still think he can become a major league regular.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Kelly Johnson, gosselin, ciriaco, Cunningham, and terdoslavich... Ready to see who out of this group makes the 25 man roster.

Pretty sure stults and Wandy will fill out rotation.

Lh reliever is a major issue. Avilan has been pretty good this spring, but was really bad last year. Outman and Russell have been terrible this spring

smootness
03-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Kelly Johnson, gosselin, ciriaco, Cunningham, and terdoslavich... Ready to see who out of this group makes the 25 man roster.

Lh reliever is a major issue. Avilan has been pretty good this spring, but was really bad last year. Outman and Russell have been terrible this spring

I hope Terdo makes it. Don't care about any of the rest.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 12:35 PM
I hope Terdo makes it. Don't care about any of the rest.

Ciriaco is long shot, but he's had a great spring. Can play a ton of positions including ss. He's almost or may be 30 though, so that will probably kill em.

Here's his ST stats...

.357 BA 1 hr 9 rbi's .864 ops

I'm pulling for this guy

smootness
03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
He's a subpar bench option, nothing more.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 12:47 PM
He's a subpar bench option, nothing more.

Yeah probably so. I like em though

Terdoslavich is such a liability in the field, but could be a great ph

msstate7
03-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Right on cue my boy, ciriaco doubles off buchholtz driving in 3. That was his 2nd hit and puts his avg at .386 with 12 rbi's

BoomBoom
03-27-2015, 05:48 PM

LH reliever is a major issue mainly because Fredi has no idea how to use LH relievers. He needs a boss that tells him "If our LOOGY pitches to more than X RH batters this year, you're fired on the spot." He's so bad at it he makes me miss Bobby managing the bullpen, and i thought Bobby couldn't manage the bullpen out of a paper bag.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Ciriaco with 2 more rbi's. This guy's killing ST

msstate7
03-29-2015, 08:59 AM
James Russell released. Wow... I wasn't expecting that.

msstate7
03-30-2015, 10:26 AM
@KevinMcAlpin
#Braves continue to trim roster: RHP Michael Kohn has been reassigned.

msstate7
03-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Opening day lineup prediction:

Vs Alvarez (rhp)

Young (cf)
Peterson (2b)
FF (1b)
Johnson (3b)
Markakis (rf)
Simmons (ss)
Johnson (lf)
Bethancourt (c)

MS_half-step
03-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Considering the circumstances, I'd be ok with that, perhaps a little different order. Don't know how thrilled I would be with CJ in the cleanup, but not a lot of options there.

msstate7
03-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Considering the circumstances, I'd be ok with that, perhaps a little different order. Don't know how thrilled I would be with CJ in the cleanup, but not a lot of options there.

Young
Simmons
Markakis
FF
C. Johnson
K. Johnson/j. Gomes
Peterson
Bethancourt

MS_half-step
03-30-2015, 09:06 PM
I like the look of that

MS_half-step
03-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Will be interested to see how Fredi sees it

msstate7
03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Will be interested to see how Fredi sees it

My first prediction is what I think fredi will do

Dawg61
03-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Opening day lineup prediction:

Vs Alvarez (rhp)

Young (cf)
Peterson (2b)
FF (1b)
Johnson (3b)
Markakis (rf)
Simmons (ss)
Johnson (lf)
Bethancourt (c)

Where's the power?

msstate7
03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Where's the power?

Teheran, wood, miller, and Kimbrel haha

msstate7
03-31-2015, 11:19 PM
@JeffPassan
Braves chose to keep Kelly Johnson and place him on 25-man roster at deadline today. Good depth piece who can play 1B, 2B, 3B and OF.

msstate7
03-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Almonte cleared waivers and was sent to AAA

shoeless joe
04-01-2015, 06:54 AM
@JeffPassan
Braves chose to keep Kelly Johnson and place him on 25-man roster at deadline today. Good depth piece who can play 1B, 2B, 3B and OF.

Good decision IMO. A veteran guy that usually gives a quality AB.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Good decision IMO. A veteran guy that usually gives a quality AB.

And he has some power which we need desperately

msstate7
04-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Teheran... Wth? He's getting destroyed this spring. His ERA is 8.16 and getting rocked today. This was his last ST start and I'm less than impressed

War Machine Dawg
04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Once aGAIN...it's Spring Training. You really think Teheran is going to suck when it matters? Cause I don't. In fact, I managed to snag him for my fantasy team.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Once aGAIN...it's Spring Training. You really think Teheran is going to suck when it matters? Cause I don't. In fact, I managed to snag him for my fantasy team.

I can see him screwing around with other pitches and get rocked for most the spring. I just expected him to treat this like a dress rehearsal. I hope Teheran was goofing off

msstate7
04-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Thru 3 vs Phillies...

Teheran 3.0 ip 7 hits (3 hr's) 7 er

ST era at 8.47

msstate7
04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
#Braves claim lefty reliever McKirahan off waivers from #Marlins http://on-ajc.com/1MB2AHs

BoomBoom
04-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Teheran... Wth? He's getting destroyed this spring. His ERA is 8.16 and getting rocked today. This was his last ST start and I'm less than impressed

happened to him once before when they tried to change his delivery, to make him less injury prone. went on all year in AAA until they gave up and he went back to his old delivery.

smootness
04-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Yeah, but this isn't about his delivery changing.

I'm not overly concerned, but he could start a little slow. I'm sure before long, he'll be back to being Teheran, though.

msstate7
04-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Mark Bowman ?@mlbbowman 3m3 minutes ago
Though he remains a darkhorse candidate, Benson is seizing unexpected opportunity to claim #Braves bench spot
http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20150401&content_id=115897194&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl ?

msstate7
04-02-2015, 05:57 PM
The Braves are discussing starting pitchers wiith multiple teams, according to Mark Bowman of MLB.com (Twitter links). Bowman, who also hears that Cahill has been discussed, says the Braves aren?t comfortable slotting two similar lefties ? Stults and Rodriguez ? back-to-back in the rotation.

Taken from Braves' message board

msstate7
04-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Bob Nightengale ?@BNightengale 16m16 minutes ago
The #Dbacks indeed are on the verge of sending beleaguered starter Trevor Cahill to the #Braves, as @nickpiecoro reported earlier

msstate7
04-02-2015, 09:18 PM
10:06 PM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 4m4 minutes ago
#Braves have traded for #Dbacks RH Trevor Cahill, sent minor league pitcher Josh Elander to Arizona in deal

msstate7
04-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Wandy released.

Looks like teheran, wood, miller, Cahill, and stults in rotation. Minor to replace stults when healthy

msstate7
04-03-2015, 08:25 PM
9:07 PM
David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC
#Braves Fredi G again made it clear, without saying specifically, that Kelly Johnson is going to make the team

David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC
#Braves Fredi G made it clear only 1 position-player roster spot still being contested. (It's Benson and Cunningham for final OF spot)

msstate7
04-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Well ST ends today. I'm excited about this season. I don't necessarily expect us to be very good, but I do think we'll be better than expected.

msstate7
04-04-2015, 01:25 PM
David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 26m 26 minutes ago
#Braves are sending down (cutting) both Benson and Cunningham. No word yet on who's final OF backup.

Ciriaco, terdoslavich, or a trade?

BoomBoom
04-04-2015, 04:45 PM
David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC ? 26m 26 minutes ago
#Braves are sending down (cutting) both Benson and Cunningham. No word yet on who's final OF backup.

Ciriaco, terdoslavich, or a trade?

I think trade.

msstate7
04-04-2015, 05:41 PM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 3m3 minutes ago
#Braves likely roster: OFs Markakis, Gomes, EY Jr, KJohnson, Ciriaco; INFs Freeman, Peterson, CJohnson, Simmons, Callaspo, Gosselin?: C's Bcourt, Pzynski; P's Teheran, Wood, Miller, Stults, Cahill, Kimbrel, Grilli, JJohnson, Avilan...McKirahan, Jaime, Martin

6:23 PM
Kevin McAlpin ?@KevinMcAlpin 2m2 minutes ago
When OD roster is announced, #Braves will have 7 players remaining from 2014 OD roster (Freeman, CJ, Simba, Kimbrel, Avilan, Teheran & Wood)

7 out of 25.
That is some turnover.

dawgs
04-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Well ST ends today. I'm excited about this season. I don't necessarily expect us to be very good, but I do think we'll be better than expected.

That's like being excited for a Rick Ray coached basketball season.

msstate7
04-04-2015, 07:17 PM
That's like being excited for a Rick Ray coached basketball season.

Enjoy your year. You'll be terrible again next season. I hope the Marlins ruin the championship you're attempting to buy

dawgs
04-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Harper, stras, zimm, zimm2, desmond, ramos (traded for before he reached the majors), storen, Roark, Stammen, rendon, Espinoza, taylor, Moore, etc. are all home grown. Werth and scherzer are the only 2 signings that might fall into "buying a title" category. Span, gio, fister, and others are good value buys/trades. Just because the Braves think they are the royals when it comes to market size doesn't mean every other franchise is the peak of the evil Yankees. Maybe worry about developing your own guys (heyward, minor) instead of turning young talent into disappointmemts by the age of 25.

Also, nats won't be terrible next year. Sorry, I know it sucks to hear for Braves fans.

dawgs
04-04-2015, 07:40 PM
How much vcash do you wanna bet the nats have more players that have only played for the nats at the MLB level than the Braves have players that have only played for the Braves at the MLB level?

#sorryyallcantdraftanddeveloptalent

msstate7
04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
How much vcash do you wanna bet the nats have more players that have only played for the nats at the MLB level than the Braves have players that have only played for the Braves at the MLB level?

#sorryyallcantdraftanddeveloptalent

Seems I struck a nerve. My comment earlier was strictly concerning scherzer. I think that contract will look good this year, then it'll start looking like one of the many the phillies have

Oh and I think I have like $10 in vcash so we can bet that if you want haha

dawgs
04-04-2015, 07:57 PM
By the time the nats pay off a lot of that deal, they'll have a whole lot more TV money flowing in, plus inflation and all that. The raw numbers sound crazy, but get into the details and adjust for inflation and what not, and it's not that crazy. I also think scherzer has 3-4 good years in him. Pitchers tend to be a bit better at maintaining elite production into their 30s than hitters.

BoomBoom
04-05-2015, 02:43 PM
David O'Brien ?@DOBrienAJC 3m3 minutes ago
#Braves likely roster: OFs Markakis, Gomes, EY Jr, KJohnson, Ciriaco; INFs Freeman, Peterson, CJohnson, Simmons, Callaspo, Gosselin?: C's Bcourt, Pzynski; P's Teheran, Wood, Miller, Stults, Cahill, Kimbrel, Grilli, JJohnson, Avilan...McKirahan, Jaime, Martin

6:23 PM
Kevin McAlpin ?@KevinMcAlpin 2m2 minutes ago
When OD roster is announced, #Braves will have 7 players remaining from 2014 OD roster (Freeman, CJ, Simba, Kimbrel, Avilan, Teheran & Wood)

7 out of 25.
That is some turnover.

Ciriaco didnt make it. Carrying Outman instead. Feels like a placeholder for a trade, DL Outman like was expected after an acquisition.

msstate7
04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Ciriaco didnt make it. Carrying Outman instead. Feels like a placeholder for a trade, DL Outman like was expected after an acquisition.

Will terdoslavich be on the 25-man roster when healthy?

BoomBoom
04-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Will terdoslavich be on the 25-man roster when healthy?

Not as of now I would think. If he's doing well in AAA, he'll probably get a shot at some point.

msstate7
04-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Not as of now I would think. If he's doing well in AAA, he'll probably get a shot at some point.

Cody Ross was released by dbacks. Wonder if he'll get a call

msstate7
04-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Kiley McDaniel ?@kileymcd 1m1 minute ago
Source: Braves have traded Craig Kimbrel and B.J. Upton to the Padres

msstate7
04-05-2015, 05:20 PM
6:16 PM
Kiley McDaniel ?@kileymcd 32s32 seconds ago
Source: Matt Wisler, Carlos Quentin and Cameron Maybin headed to Atlanta in the Upton/Kimbrel deal.

VandelayIndustries
04-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Crazy! At least they get rid of B.J err Melvin's contract

dawgs
04-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Never thought the Braves would find someone to take on bj's contract and get a good pitching prospect in return. Yeah they gave up Kimbrel, but a stud closer is a pointless luxury on a bad team.