PDA

View Full Version : I feel better about our rotation now

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Now it's a discussion of who has to be left out because they are all pitching well.

At this moment, I think it has to be Preston, Sexton, and Tatum. By the end of the year I hope Dakota Hudson replaces Preston. I'm happy either way- you can throw Paul Young into the discussion as well possibly.

Good to see Rea and Michael Smith back. Now Humphreys just has to get over his bug and Collins has to get back soon. Lord willing- we should be 100% by the end of the year barring any more set-backs. This team has a chance to be the best offensive team since Cohen has been here in terms of balance.

I'm glad San Diego stepped up as well. We scheduled them expecting them to be a good team- and then they struggled against Morehead State. But they looked good against Texas.

Sweeping Arizona was huge for our RPI. Our schedule is easy- but we have to just keep on winning and the SEC schedule will help us out and we should be fine. Winning the Governor's Cup and South Alabama on the road could be big games for us based on the early and inaccurate RPI returns.

smootness
03-01-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm getting really excited about our young pitchers coming along. We all knew Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum had tons of talent when they showed up last year, and they're starting to put it together. If Hudson can stretch himself out and remain as effective as he has been so far, it's going to be extremely tough to keep any of those guys out of the rotation.

I think Sexton and Tatum just earned themselves weekend spots for now. This isn't the SEC yet, but you just can't keep guys hammering the strike zone with that kind of stuff off the mound.

messageboardsuperhero
03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
I feel better about this rotation 1-3 (or even 1-5) than I have about any rotation we've had under Cohen- so much depth. Agree with Brown, Sexton, and Tatum next weekend. It's amazing to me that we just played four games in three days against one really good lineup and one decent one- and we didn't even have to use Houston or Daniel Brown out of the pen. We're going to have a silly amount of game-ready arms once we start playing three game series next weekend.

A lot of people don't realize how good Arizona is offensively this year- that is a team with several Cape Cod league players on it and almost took the series against Rice last week. Pitching wise they aren't great, but they're as good as just about any lineup we'll face in SEC play this year.

Smitty
03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Let's tap the breaks on Hudson replacing Preston

MSUDawg4Life
03-01-2015, 07:30 PM
I think they are getting there. I'd like to see the entire staff continue to develop. Can't deny these last two performances by Sexton and Tatum are encouraging though.

BeardoMSU
03-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many K's did our starters have this weekend? Those boys were dealing. Everyone but Laster went deep too, right? I'm very comfortable with our starting pitching for maybe the first time under Cohen, at least top to bottom. I've been saying all off-season that I hoped we'd be able to move Ross and Fitts back to the pen, and I got my wish.

#wool

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/blogs-prod-photos/7/6/c/3/1/76c31f9f2243a6e1a5c0a64adbf3a83b.jpg?stmp=13040007 41

smootness
03-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many K's did our starters have this weekend? Those boys were dealing. Everyone but Laster went deep too, right? I'm very comfortable with our starting pitching for maybe the first time under Cohen, at least top to bottom. I've been saying all off-season that I hoped we'd be able to move Ross and Fitts back to the pen, and I got my wish.

#wool

Sexton was actually the shortest at 5.2. Brown went 6, Laster went 6.1.

But on the weekend, here were the numbers from our SP: 26 IP, 20 H (11 from Laster alone), 5 BB, 36 K, 7 ER. That is dealing and like MBSH said, that is against two legitimate lineups.

For the staff as a whole, here are the numbers: 36 IP, 28 H, 9 BB, 43 K, 8 ER, or an average of 7 H, 2 BB, 10+ K, 2 ER per game.

BeardoMSU
03-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Sexton was actually the shortest at 5.2. Brown went 6, Laster went 6.1.

But on the weekend, here were the numbers from our SP: 26 IP, 20 H (11 from Laster alone), 5 BB, 36 K, 7 ER. That is dealing and like MBSH said, that is against two legitimate lineups.

For the staff as a whole, here are the numbers: 36 IP, 28 H, 9 BB, 43 K, 8 ER, or an average of 7 H, 2 BB, 10+ K, 2 ER per game.

Damn. The pen gave up 2 hits and 1 run, lol.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Let's tap the breaks on Hudson replacing Preston

I'm talking around week five of the SEC season, not next week.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 08:27 PM
I feel better about this rotation 1-3 (or even 1-5) than I have about any rotation we've had under Cohen- so much depth. Agree with Brown, Sexton, and Tatum next weekend. It's amazing to me that we just played four games in three days against one really good lineup and one decent one- and we didn't even have to use Houston or Daniel Brown out of the pen. We're going to have a silly amount of game-ready arms once we start playing three game series next weekend.

A lot of people don't realize how good Arizona is offensively this year- that is a team with several Cape Cod league players on it and almost took the series against Rice last week. Pitching wise they aren't great, but they're as good as just about any lineup we'll face in SEC play this year.

Newman for Arizona actually won the Cape Cod League batting title twice. He's the only guy to ever do that.

preachermatt83
03-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Coach Cohen said something in his interview that leads me to believe that Tatum will start Friday night.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Well, you never know- but what Cohen said was that Tatum told him it was his goal to be the Friday night starter before the season. I think he has the ability.

Objectively speaking, Sexton only went 5.2 IP as good as he was. He might be a good fit for Sunday. Tatum went 8+, so he has the ability to get deep into a game. Preston probably could, but I think he would probably wear out over the course of the season like last year. Saturday might be a good fit for him and Ross.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Oh- and here's a scary thought. Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and Preston will all be back next year. And McCord will be better too.

Harrydawg
03-01-2015, 09:50 PM
I have wood.......serious wood.

messageboardsuperhero
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Oh- and here's a scary thought. Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and Preston will all be back next year. And McCord will be better too.

And Paul Young, Daniel Brown, Zac Houston, Cole Gordon, and whoever makes it to campus from this ridiculous 2015 pitching class... Butch will have a lot to work with moving forward. That 2015 class (on paper) looks like the best group of HS pitchers I've ever seen us sign.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 10:10 PM
And Paul Young, Daniel Brown, Zac Houston, Cole Gordon, and whoever makes it to campus from this ridiculous 2015 pitching class... Butch will have a lot to work with moving forward. That 2015 class (on paper) looks like the best group of HS pitchers I've ever seen us sign.

Cole Gordon needs to stay at first base unless he is the second coming of Nolan Ryan. Several of those freshmen for next year I think will be able to fill bullpen roles for us- Fenter and Riley in particular. But there are several other that like Small, Padgett, Trysten Barlow, Pilkington, Ford, and Breaux that wouldn't shock me if they found a spot in the pen as well.

I think Riley might be our third baseman next year as well to go along with Rooker or Gordon, Gridley, and Holland with Collins and Lovelady both coming back. I think Robson will probably be gone, but we return Humphreys and Michael Smith. If by miracle we get Greg Pickett, I think he starts as well either in the OF or at DH. Worst case scenario is Cody Brown. I think Luke Alexander will push Holland if Luke can hit and Holland struggles. Jake Mangum will push for playing time immediately as well in the OF, and Luke Reynolds will be in the 3B/OF/DH mix as well.

It_Could_Happen
03-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Cole Gordon needs to stay at first base unless he is the second coming of Nolan Ryan. Several of those freshmen for next year I think will be able to fill bullpen roles for us- Fenter and Riley in particular. But there are several other that like Small, Padgett, Trysten Barlow, Pilkington, Ford, and Breaux that wouldn't shock me if they found a spot in the pen as well.

I think Riley might be our third baseman next year as well to go along with Rooker or Gordon, Gridley, and Holland with Collins and Lovelady both coming back. I think Robson will probably be gone, but we return Humphreys and Michael Smith. If by miracle we get Greg Pickett, I think he starts as well either in the OF or at DH. Worst case scenario is Cody Brown. I think Luke Alexander will push Holland if Luke can hit and Holland struggles. Jake Mangum will push for playing time immediately as well in the OF, and Luke Reynolds will be in the 3B/OF/DH mix as well.

I promise you if Riley makes it to campus, he's a starter. Maybe not the beginning of the year, but at some point the kid will start. He's got big league stuff.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 10:17 PM
I promise you if Riley makes it to campus, he's a starter. Maybe not the beginning of the year, but at some point the kid will start. He's got big league stuff.

It wouldn't shock me at all. You're right he does have big league stuff.

smootness
03-01-2015, 10:37 PM
One guy we're overlooking, too, is Swinarski. He's as talented as anybody we'll have next year. Hopefully he can progress similar to Renfroe (I'm not saying he'll be that good, just that Renfroe flipped a switch suddenly) and break out. His talent will eventually shine.

Homedawg
03-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Todd- we really like Gordon on the mound as well. He made a big jump velo wise this spring- which was expected post tommy John- and think he has a really high ceiling on the mound.

smootness
03-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Todd- we really like Gordon on the mound as well. He made a big jump velo wise this spring- which was expected post tommy John- and think he has a really high ceiling on the mound.

Hopefully, as Todd alluded to, that will depend on who shows up from the 2015 class. Unless Gordon's potential is just through the roof on the mound, we could have a TON of really, really talented arms on campus next year, and it seems like his power at the plate would be far more important for us.

Obviously he could play both ways as well, but I like the idea of his bat more than his arm.

SouthMsDawg
03-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Are we redshirting Cole Gordon? 3 weeks in and he has ZERO ABs and hasn't pitched.

Homedawg
03-02-2015, 11:31 AM
That's what the plan is, yes.