PDA

View Full Version : what did yall think about the strike zone today in game 1?

Bully13
02-28-2015, 11:06 PM
this was my first game I had a chance to watch this year and I can't recall seeing a bigger strike zone called by an ump in recent memory. I can't remember seeing so many strikes called in the upper chest area along with pitches that seemed below the knees. that low pitch called strike on Rea looked real low. the ump seemed to be giving a lot to the pitchers on the inside and outside of the plate but the highs and lows seemed way unusual.

did anybody else think it was out of the ordinary or is this common from what yall have seen so far this year?

maybe the ump was cold and wanted to get it over fast?

oh, and we got hosed on a couple plays when our runners beat the throw at 1st too.

it was really fun watching Sexton figure out what the ump was giving and boy did that guy work it. he was hitting that outside corner like a major league pitcher. too bad he left that curve ball hanging in the zone for that guy to get his 1st college HR. after that, his confidence seemed to wane. but at 52 degrees, maybe he'd thrown enough pitches at the point when his dominance started to fade.

and wtf is up with ross mitchell everytime he enters a game where we're either tied or behind and we end up winning?

Todd4State
02-28-2015, 11:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken the strike zone was supposed to get bigger this year to "offset the bats"- which is ridiculous I know.

smootness
02-28-2015, 11:23 PM
and wtf is up with ross mitchell everytime he enters a game where we're either tied or behind and we end up winning?

Yep, that has a tendency to happen when you don't give up any more runs.

And Todd is right, they've apparently made the zone bigger, especially at the top, to offset some of the advantage the hitters gained with the new balls. Which is really stupid because the change in balls was supposed to offset the huge advantage the pitchers were given with the new bats. Not to mention that the new balls help some pitchers, too.

Bully13
02-28-2015, 11:41 PM
I thought the announcers did a good job today explaining the differences in the changes of the ball today. the ball is going to carry longer on those deep flies but the pitchers are going to be able to put more spin on their benders.

I don't like called strikes in the upper chest area. that's just not modern day baseball. I played a year in h.s. baseball and if anyone has played at that level, you know that a high fastball is one of the hardest pitches you can hit. a 90 mph plus pitch at high chest / shoulder level takes the most talented hitter there is to connect on that.