PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Hudson

messageboardsuperhero
02-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Just got back from the two games today... I think we're going to have to find a bigger role for Hudson. I don't know what that role will be, but he's been lights out his last two appearances. Laster will be a good left-handed relief pitcher for us- but due to the sheer number of quality starters we appear to have, he probably shouldn't be in the rotation IMO. Sexton was outstanding, save for that one mistake. His propensity to give up the long ball is a little worrisome though and something to keep and eye on.

Also, I can't wait to see what our offense looks like when everyone gets healthy and comfortable. That is all.

Jacksondevildog
02-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Doing all of this without Collins and Smith is impressive. Pitching is starting to become a strong area. Paul Young is also about to start pitching. I hear his stuff is electric.

engie
02-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Still haven't even really gotten Holland, Humphreys, and Reynolds going at the plate yet. All 3 have star potential IMO...

DudyDawg
02-28-2015, 07:15 PM
I like Laster starting. Lefty w good stuff and can eat innings. He didn't have it at all today and still had a quality start and six shutout innings.

basedog
02-28-2015, 07:18 PM
I agree DudyDawg.

preachermatt83
02-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Just got back from the two games today... I think we're going to have to find a bigger role for Hudson. I don't know what that role will be, but he's been lights out his last two appearances. Laster will be a good left-handed relief pitcher for us- but due to the sheer number of quality starters we appear to have, he probably shouldn't be in the rotation IMO. Sexton was outstanding, save for that one mistake. His propensity to give up the long ball is a little worrisome though and something to keep and eye on

Also, I can't wait to see what our offense looks like when everyone gets healthy and comfortable. That is all.

Amen. On all accounts.

Statefan
02-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Just got back from the two games today... I think we're going to have to find a bigger role for Hudson. I don't know what that role will be, but he's been lights out his last two appearances. Laster will be a good left-handed relief pitcher for us- but due to the sheer number of quality starters we appear to have, he probably shouldn't be in the rotation IMO. Sexton was outstanding, save for that one mistake. His propensity to give up the long ball is a little worrisome though and something to keep and eye on.

Definitely wasn't expecting to hear that before the season started

Todd4State
02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
I like Laster starting. Lefty w good stuff and can eat innings. He didn't have it at all today and still had a quality start and six shutout innings.

Nope- that's who he is. He gives up hits and gets into jams and then finds ways to get out of it. The guy set a MSU record for hit batsmen in a game- and we STILL won.

As long as he doesn't give up runs, that's fine- but my heart prefers a performance like Sexton where we strike almost everyone out.

DudyDawg
02-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Nope- that's who he is. He gives up hits and gets into jams and then finds ways to get out of it. The guy set a MSU record for hit batsmen in a game- and we STILL won.

As long as he doesn't give up runs, that's fine- but my heart prefers a performance like Sexton where we strike almost everyone out.

I think he is better than he showed today. He's not got electric stuff by any means and when he's on he still pitches to contact and let's guys on. Usually it's not solid every single time like today. But he will let you swing and dare you to put it where the D can't get it. Which most cant. I like that in a starter. Not so much out of the pen. The guy gets out and stays on the mound for 7 without you even knowing

smootness
02-28-2015, 11:20 PM

It'll work itself out. Laster's results were ok today, but you can't get yourself into those kinds of problems consistently in the SEC and be an effective starter.

If Hudson keeps pitching this well, he'll get his shot, like Tatum has. I think Preston Brown pretty much has a starting spot set, but I don't think anything is fully guaranteed. It wouldn't completely shock me if Sexton, Tatum, and Hudson are the 3 primary SP at the end of the year. Of course that's not likely, but I think it's at least possible.

And all this doesn't even factor in Paul Young. We have a ton of quality arms, and I'm not sure Laster is good enough.

Todd4State
02-28-2015, 11:32 PM
I think he is better than he showed today. He's not got electric stuff by any means and when he's on he still pitches to contact and let's guys on. Usually it's not solid every single time like today. But he will let you swing and dare you to put it where the D can't get it. Which most cant. I like that in a starter. Not so much out of the pen. The guy gets out and stays on the mound for 7 without you even knowing

You said he's better than he showed today- to clarify I don't think he's bad. I think he could start if we absolutely had to start him. His Governor's Cup performance was absolutely gutsy and he shut Ole Miss down to the point where they resorted to diving into the ball because they weren't making good contact. You are right- he is very aggressive and attacks the hitters. Which is also a good attribute for a relief pitcher to have. And he can drop his payload on a team if he knows he is going to face the hitters once as opposed to having to go through the order three times in a row and hold something back. That's why Ross and Fitts are better as relief pitchers than they were as starters too- even though it's not uncommon for Ross to go through the order more than once.

Hudson, Tatum and Sexton are guys that are probably going to be drafted after their junior years- and probably in the top 15 rounds. They can make guys swing and miss even after one time through the order.

engie
02-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Agreed on all accounts...

Sexton is close. Hudson seems to be getting there too. I want to see them be able to do it every time before I totally buy in though.

smootness
02-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Somebody talked about our pitching talent being below several teams in the SEC, and right now I would agree with that.

But Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum would totally change that. Those guys have as much talent as just about anybody in the conference. Obviously it's very unlikely they all pitch well enough this year to reach their potential, but if just one or two pick it up and do what they're capable of, that gives our whole team a huge boost in competing for the conference title and beyond.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Somebody talked about our pitching talent being below several teams in the SEC, and right now I would agree with that.

But Hudson, Sexton, and Tatum would totally change that. Those guys have as much talent as just about anybody in the conference. Obviously it's very unlikely they all pitch well enough this year to reach their potential, but if just one or two pick it up and do what they're capable of, that gives our whole team a huge boost in competing for the conference title and beyond.

If we just had to start Preston, Ross and Laster we would be OK. But when it comes to winning a championship you really need two guys like Stratton. That's ultimately why we lost to UCLA- we just couldn't match their pitching and by the time Butch decided Pollorena was done we were down and couldn't come back. That's why LSU won NC's in the 80's and we would just go to regionals. When you are talking NC's elite starting pitching is more critical than a dynamic offense in my opinion. I've seen a few teams that weren't very good offensively win championships- I can't think of one team that won a championship with bad pitching at any level.

The good news is guys like Hudson, Sexton, Tatum and McCord have the potential to be as good as Stratton. If you asked Butch what the rotation was going to look like last year when Lindgren was a senior in high school, he probably would have told you Woodruff, Lindgren, and Fitts- and only one of those really was a guy in the rotation but the other two had SEC ace potential and it just didn't work out that way because of Woodruff's injuries and Lindgren not being able to start because of his personality traits.

smootness
03-01-2015, 12:28 AM
If we just had to start Preston, Ross and Laster we would be OK. But when it comes to winning a championship you really need two guys like Stratton. That's ultimately why we lost to UCLA- we just couldn't match their pitching and by the time Butch decided Pollorena was done we were down and couldn't come back. That's why LSU won NC's in the 80's and we would just go to regionals. When you are talking NC's elite starting pitching is more critical than a dynamic offense in my opinion. I've seen a few teams that weren't very good offensively win championships- I can't think of one team that won a championship with bad pitching at any level.

The good news is guys like Hudson, Sexton, Tatum and McCord have the potential to be as good as Stratton. If you asked Butch what the rotation was going to look like last year when Lindgren was a senior in high school, he probably would have told you Woodruff, Lindgren, and Fitts- and only one of those really was a guy in the rotation but the other two had SEC ace potential and it just didn't work out that way because of Woodruff's injuries and Lindgren not being able to start because of his personality traits.

Good stuff. I like the fact that we have quality pitchers who can get it done and give us the chance to be very good even if the ace-type guys don't put it together.

I'm with you. Whether our rotation is Brown, Laster, Mitchell, or Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, we're going to be a very good team.

KB21
03-01-2015, 08:52 AM

You know what's exciting to think about? Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and McCord will be here next year along with hopefully Jared Padgett, Parker Ford, Gray Fenter, Austin Riley, Ethan Small, Trysten Barlow, Keegan James, Kale Breaux, Noah Hughes, Konnor Pilkington, and Ryan Cyr. That is going to be one loaded pitching staff if everyone comes to school.

Harrydawg
03-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Hell, we were worried about missing Collins and now we have what seems to be an abundance at catcher. The talent we have on any given day on the bench is really crazy (for any position).

MsStateBaseball
03-01-2015, 09:50 AM
I bet Hudson getsva start versus W Kentucky next week.

Saltydog
03-01-2015, 10:13 AM
as hard as he did pre injury. Before the injury last year he was consistently 93-95. This year, he's 91-92. Now, with that being said it's also obvious he has much better command of his pitches, at least until this point.

MSUDawg4Life
03-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Hell, we were worried about missing Collins and now we have what seems to be an abundance at catcher. The talent we have on any given day on the bench is really crazy (for any position).

I thought we had an abundance at catcher before Collins went out. I was concerned about getting them all enough reps.

Of course, we're a better team with Collins but I knew the other guys were more than capable of taking up the slack.

MSUDawg4Life
03-01-2015, 12:31 PM
You know what's exciting to think about? Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and McCord will be here next year along with hopefully Jared Padgett, Parker Ford, Gray Fenter, Austin Riley, Ethan Small, Trysten Barlow, Keegan James, Kale Breaux, Noah Hughes, Konnor Pilkington, and Ryan Cyr. That is going to be one loaded pitching staff if everyone comes to school.

Yep.

Seems like somebody wants to win a national championship really bad.

Todd4State
03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
as hard as he did pre injury. Before the injury last year he was consistently 93-95. This year, he's 91-92. Now, with that being said it's also obvious he has much better command of his pitches, at least until this point.

Sometimes with young pitcher you have to kind of "bring them back" a little bit on velocity so that they can learn command. Once they learn that, then sometimes they can get back to where they were.

In high school ball, if there's a pitcher that throws 95-96 some hitters will be so intimidated they will swing three times and sit down. And even more of them will just swing at whatever is thrown up there. College hitters aren't going to be scared of a guy throwing 95-96 and they actually have plate discipline (well, some of them- certainly more than high school)

BiscuitEater
03-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Still haven't even really gotten Holland, Humphreys, and Reynolds going at the plate yet. All 3 have star potential IMO...

Thought Reynolds had a good day yesterday ... 1 of 3 in first game ... 1 of 2 in second ... hit it hard ... .400 for the day shows some promise

engie
03-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Thought Reynolds had a good day yesterday ... 1 of 3 in first game ... 1 of 2 in second ... hit it hard ... .400 for the day shows some promise

Yeah, Reynolds is kinda starting to get going. But he's not hitting for doubles/power yet like I perceive that he will based on his JUCO statline. He had 24 XBH in 218 ABs there. His SLG is currently half of what it was in JUCO, while his OB is reasonably close, while K'ing twice as often. The pitching he's seen thusfar isn't really an upgrade compared to JUCO -- and we've got the new balls helping that out even more. He's going to be hell on wheels when he really gets going.

Holland is missing inside of pitches. I can't fully put my finger on exactly why it is. He's squaring some balls up timing wise that he should drive -- but he's fouling them off to the left side. He will figure that out IMO. He was a .406, 24 XBH in 202 ABs. His SLG is currently well under half of what it was, his OB is down .160, K'ing twice as much. So, in essence the same story as Reynolds.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that both of those guys are a lot better hitters than we've seen thusfar. They are pretty close to equally as good of hitters as Michael Smith, who we basically haven't seen ever since he hit a double in his first MSU AB...

The talent level is becoming a comedy really....