PDA

View Full Version : First base coach

bulldogcountry1
02-27-2015, 11:21 PM
So far, it's been a revolving door of bench players coaching first. I guess it's good experience and keeps more guys involved, but at some point, it seems like it might be a good idea to put someone on the payroll out there. I can't recall seeing another team do that outside of a blowout or coach ejection.

Am I way off base on this? It just seems like it's not being taken seriously when Britton or whoever is coaching first.

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Unless we start having a ton of guys picked off, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2015, 10:19 AM
I agree with OP. We need to have a damn coach over there. This isn't Ethel vs Eupora. Put a coach over there to actually coach base runners during the game.

MsStateBaseball
02-28-2015, 10:32 AM
SEC play will be a coach. Lots of players will be coaches too you know, its what their majoring in.

Political Hack
02-28-2015, 10:58 AM
first base coach past high school is almost pointless IMO. the calls are coming in from 3rd and any other time most runners have a green light or red light regardless.

I can stand over there and yell "back".

I seen it dawg
02-28-2015, 05:44 PM
SEC play will be a coach. Lots of players will be coaches too you know, its what their majoring in.

Yes but a live game that matters isn't the time for it.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2015, 05:44 PM
first base coach past high school is almost pointless IMO. the calls are coming in from 3rd and any other time most runners have a green light or red light regardless.

Obtuse

smootness
02-28-2015, 08:00 PM

This

They're not telling anybody when to steal, and the batter is facing the outfield when rounding first, so he can see the play in front of him; he doesn't need anyone telling him whether or not to go.

They're quite literally just there to say 'good job' and take ankle/elbow guards and batting gloves.

Jacksondevildog
02-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Honestly, I like Cohen trusting some of our players to be out there and lead and teach while they are not playing. That's just an extension of their roles as players. They don't just send anyone out there. Collins (catcher and leader) and Britton (senior) have been the main ones I've seen. There's a reason behind it. This isn't someone's dad that yells "go" to have the runner steal like they do in "SELECT" ball.

Intramural All-American
02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Our new coach that replaced Wells is a hitting coach. He wants to be in the dugout so he can communicate with the hitters and watch them as they hit. Don't be surprised to see players at first base all season.

I seen it dawg
03-01-2015, 12:07 AM
It's not a big deal either way I just think we should put a coach over there that a staff guy.

Political Hack
03-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Obtuse

I literally cannot think of a single assistant coach in any sport that has less responsibility. Can you?

Jacksondevildog
03-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Our bench coaches in hoops?

I literally cannot think of a single assistant coach in any sport that has less responsibility. Can you?

bulldogcountry1
03-01-2015, 08:27 AM
I agree that 99% of the time that responsibility is just to collect body armor and share high fives, but I am thinking about those rare situations that always seem to wait to happen in big games. In those instances, it pays to have an experienced extra set of eyes. It will be even more important when we go on the road where we are less comfortable. It will only take one screw up before everyone is on here bitching about it.

Jacksondevildog
03-01-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm sure that Cohen has thought about all of those possible scenarios. I trust his judgment based off of results that he's produced. He's not a dumbass.

engie
03-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Primary role of a 1B coach in the modern game is pitcher/catcher reads. That's why we trot Collins out there -- to see if he can pick up on something guys are doing that tip their pitches. Catchers are, in general, more likely to notice these things than position players. You'd be amazed at how many do and you can see it from the 1B coaches box. We'd use a specific encouragement phrase to let the dugout know he had it -- then read his left hand -- and call in to the batter what pitch was coming from the dugout with other pre-determined phrasing.

By using this relay system, even if the opposing coach picked up that you knew what was coming, he didn't know where you were getting it from. Alot of times coaches would drive themselves totally insane changing signs and confusing their catchers -- all because their pitcher was lazy with his grips or came set differently with his offspeed stuff...

smootness
03-01-2015, 01:14 PM
I agree that 99% of the time that responsibility is just to collect body armor and share high fives, but I am thinking about those rare situations that always seem to wait to happen in big games. In those instances, it pays to have an experienced extra set of eyes. It will be even more important when we go on the road where we are less comfortable. It will only take one screw up before everyone is on here bitching about it.

I'm not sure what kind of situation you're talking about, though. In what rare situation would you need a 1B coach to make some kind of call?