PDA

View Full Version : Weird observation about Cohen coached teams....

DistrictDawg92
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
To me, atleast, it always seems that nothing about our team just says WOW when looking at the roster, but he usually just finds a way to win. He will be our coach for as long as he feels like coaching.

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 08:39 PM
It's because of the types of players we recruit. Everyone talks about the five tools but work ethic and mental toughness can overcome deficiencies in baseball sometimes.

maroonmania
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
It's because of the types of players we recruit. Everyone talks about the five tools but work ethic and mental toughness can overcome deficiencies in baseball sometimes.

Yep, Cohen is mentally tough and he recruits players that are mentally tough.

DistrictDawg92
02-27-2015, 09:04 PM
I think Butch Thompson deserves a lot of credit too. During Girodo's freshman year he got lit up every game during mid-week games, however, he left State as a dominant lefty with a slider that is dirtier than Ole Miss's recruiting tactics and got drafted in the top 10 rounds. Also Preston Brown, he was not SEC material from the naked eye when he came in his freshman year, now he is our Friday starter that is 3-0 with about a 1.3 ERA. Mullen and Cohen are similar to me in the way they build their teams. We will never have more money than the traditonally powerful SEC schools, but we have players that buy in and let their coaches develop themselves to their full potential.

engie
02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
To me, atleast, it always seems that nothing about our team just says WOW when looking at the roster

Which really just indicates that it isn't fully built yet IMO...

engie
02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
We will never have more money than the traditonally powerful SEC schools, but we have players that buy in and let their coaches develop themselves to their full potential.

Let's not go overboard -- this is baseball we're talking about. We've always been among the Joneses -- and we will be going into the next generation...

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 09:37 PM
I think Butch Thompson deserves a lot of credit too. During Girodo's freshman year he got lit up every game during mid-week games, however, he left State as a dominant lefty with a slider that is dirtier than Ole Miss's recruiting tactics and got drafted in the top 10 rounds. Also Preston Brown, he was not SEC material from the naked eye when he came in his freshman year, now he is our Friday starter that is 3-0 with about a 1.3 ERA. Mullen and Cohen are similar to me in the way they build their teams. We will never have more money than the traditonally powerful SEC schools, but we have players that buy in and let their coaches develop themselves to their full potential. Butch does deserve a lot of credit. Mingione has proven to be a very good recruiter- and our small ball game has been very good this year as well. I'm impressed with what Dillon has done with our catchers as well.

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Which really just indicates that it isn't fully built yet IMO...

I'm ready to fast forward to when our incoming freshmen are juniors.

DistrictDawg92
02-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Let's not go overboard -- this is baseball we're talking about. We've always been among the Joneses -- and we will be going into the next generation...

I will admit that baseball is different than football for us, but when it comes to baseball recruiting it's a completely different game from football. Yes, we have had some highly ranked recruiting classes, but I feel like Cohen does a PHENOMENAL job of not recruiting the 5-stars, but rather the 4-stars. In baseball recruiting you can have the #1 recruiting class in the nation but it could turn out, in reality, to be only a top 20 or 30 recruiting class when the dust is settled and players have decided to sign pro contracts or not, and it is a very fine line. I feel like too often Bianco signs the players that are definitely signing a pro contract. Cohen shies away from that and signs they guys that are right on the fence that he can talk into coming to college, or the guys that will not meet their full potential until their Juniorish year. That's my tie in to Mullen, Cohen likes to develop the guys that might be a 2-star out of high school, but graduate as 4/5-stars. But yes, I agree, we have more of an advantage in baseball than football when it comes to recruiting, but you should definitely be able to see what I'm saying that Cohen and Mullen tend to have the same tactic, for the most part, when it comes to recruiting.

MsStateBaseball
02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
He has said he gets C players and they turn into A players. But now he must get some A players. Starting next year, you will see a jump in talent. On the verge of big things

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Cohen evaluates signability pretty well, but they'll take a couple of chances on a guy like a Vallot or a Pickett and hope for the best. Even a lot of the guys we take chances on have a MSU connection- like Greg Pickett, Austin Riley, or Reid Humphreys.

I seen it dawg
02-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Yep, Cohen is mentally tough and he recruits players that are mentally tough.

Ryan Gridley

messageboardsuperhero
02-27-2015, 10:25 PM
If there was one thing I could say to describe the typical Cohen coached team, it would be that they are extremely mentally tough. That's actually something I think we lacked at times last year, but it's back this year based on what we've seen thus far.

Todd4State
02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
If there was one thing I could say to describe the typical Cohen coached team, it would be that they are extremely mentally tough. That's actually something I think we lacked at times last year, but it's back this year based on what we've seen thus far.

I think we had a lot of trouble handling being patted on the back. We had a lot more question marks offensively this time last year plus our catching was really bad and had cost us a couple of games by this time last year. This year the only thing that concerns me is the rotation, but I think it will be OK.

mstatefan91
02-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I think we had a lot of trouble handling being patted on the back. We had a lot more question marks offensively this time last year plus our catching was really bad and had cost us a couple of games by this time last year. This year the only thing that concerns me is the rotation, but I think it will be OK.

Agreed with the patting on the back thing. I think the team just expected to be great and when it ran into trouble, it lacked the mental toughness to overcome. This year's team doesn't look like that to me.

shoeless joe
02-27-2015, 10:42 PM
I will admit that baseball is different than football for us, but when it comes to baseball recruiting it's a completely different game from football. Yes, we have had some highly ranked recruiting classes, but I feel like Cohen does a PHENOMENAL job of not recruiting the 5-stars, but rather the 4-stars. In baseball recruiting you can have the #1 recruiting class in the nation but it could turn out, in reality, to be only a top 20 or 30 recruiting class when the dust is settled and players have decided to sign pro contracts or not, and it is a very fine line. I feel like too often Bianco signs the players that are definitely signing a pro contract. Cohen shies away from that and signs they guys that are right on the fence that he can talk into coming to college, or the guys that will not meet their full potential until their Juniorish year. That's my tie in to Mullen, Cohen likes to develop the guys that might be a 2-star out of high school, but graduate as 4/5-stars. But yes, I agree, we have more of an advantage in baseball than football when it comes to recruiting, but you should definitely be able to see what I'm saying that Cohen and Mullen tend to have the same tactic, for the most part, when it comes to recruiting.

I disagree.

We have a lot of talent on this team. Maybe not to the level we're headed towards but he ain't makin chicken salad outta chicken shit. And I don't think that Bianco's approach fits in with what we see from them in football...which is why a large majority of their fans were ready to run him outta town before their run last year.