PDA

View Full Version : Timmy Bowers opinion of the program under Stansbury.

TheDogFather
02-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Bowers:

I'm probably a little biased because Stans was my coach. Personally I didn't want to see him leave. I thought the tradition he had built is what every program wants. Championships aren't easy to come by. To have a program in the SEC with the likes of Kentucky, Florida, Tenn, etc. that can compete at the top year in and year out is not very likely. Somehow Stans managed to do that at Mississippi State. In saying that, I do believe in his later years he kind of lost what got him to that point. Stans was always big on discipline. We were always held accountable for what we did or didn't do. I remember a few times he'd tell Frazier he had to go and get his hair cut or tell another player he needed to shave. He didn't allow braids, doo rags, hell I remember him telling Mario after the SEC tournament championship to turn his hat around (Mario had it on backwards). He was old fashioned to a fault sometimes, but it worked for him. As time went on, I think he eased up some and allowed things that normally he wouldn't have. IMO that's when things kind of went south and when that happens, most of the time a change is going to take place.

And of Ray

Honestly I think Coach Ray has done an exceptional job considering what he has been dealt. When he took over the program he really didn't have the chance to go out and recruit. He had to find, interview, and hire assistants, move his family, and get acclimated to a new region. Not to mention Bost, Moultrie, Sidney, and Hood leaving. His first season, he only had a few scholarship players and some walk-ons. The next year you get some players in but you have some injuries, players are still young. This season looked to be the breakout season, but unfortunately we had some serious injuries early on. Things that take time to recover from – back injuries, Zappardo’s ACL injury. Now in SEC play things look a lot better. I think the thing they are searching for now is consistency. Keep getting better and enjoy the process of it. We have to understand that it takes time to completely rebuild a program starting from scratch. We are headed in the right direction.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Accurate on both sides of the equation.

sandwolf
02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. Where/when did he say this?

confucius say
02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Accurate on both sides of the equation.

More level headed than 98% of the posters on here, which is not surprising given the type of player he was. Anybody know what he is doing now? Any interest in getting into coaching?

jumbo
02-27-2015, 04:49 PM
great, now we'll have a pro Bowers/anti Bowers argument that never ends

maroonmania
02-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Great political answer. Supportive of Stans and supportive of Ray. Maybe Timmy should run for office.

TheDogFather
02-27-2015, 05:08 PM
http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/2/27/8119781/q-a-with-timmy-bowers

WPDawg
02-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Excellent. Insider information is much better than the formulated kind. That should squelch further discussion. Thanks for posting. How about we just support Coach Ray and the kids who chose to to wear the Maroon and White no matter what the record is and support their work to become better.

Coach34
02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Great political answer. Supportive of Stans and supportive of Ray. Maybe Timmy should run for office.

Exactly

Ive heard Hyche and Bullard speak about Stands- and it's nothing close to that. They do give him recruiting props though

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Hum, Hyche and Bullard. Do you REALLY want to go there 34? I would say your use of them TOTALLY invalidates anything you say about anything from here on out. Dang, I usually agree with you on football. If you didn't have this visceral personal hatred of an ex-basketball coach you would be more credible.

JohnnyQuid
02-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Doubt hyche and Bullard are who u really want carrying the torch for your cause. they're both great former dogs but 1 was never "great" or even "really good" and the other is a felon. that if I'm Not mistaken got kicked off the team yr after final 4 for pistol whipping someone on campus. And honestly I'm not sure he wasn't point shaving that year considering how many times he dribbled the ball off his foot unmolested.