PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Russell

state66
02-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Is Tyler going to make a run at getting picked up by a team? I know a lot of you have always said he will never make it but I would love to see him given a chance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MacGrifferous/status/571340423681191936/video/1

I seen it dawg
02-27-2015, 11:46 AM
No

Political Hack
02-27-2015, 11:52 AM
I think he could easily be a very solid #3 QB in the NFL and draw a paycheck. He's got the brains, the arm, can make all the throws, and won't get hurt as a scout team QB. He'd also be proficient as a #3 in an emergency situation.

msstate7
02-27-2015, 11:53 AM
If Russell wants to make a run at the nfl, he probably needs to play arena league or something similar for at least a year

Political Hack
02-27-2015, 11:55 AM
If Russell wants to make a run at the nfl, he probably needs to play arena league or something similar for at least a year

why? the best way to get a roster spot in arena or the CFL is to try out for an NFL team, get invited to camp, get cut and then go play in one of those leagues. If he could get an invite to camp, he'd be dumb to do it the other way first. It may result in that eventually, and maybe that's what you're suggesting, but getting in an NFL camp is always goal #1.

msstate7
02-27-2015, 11:58 AM
why? the best way to get a roster spot in arena or the CFL is to try out for an NFL team, get invited to camp, get cut and then go play in one of those leagues. If he could get an invite to camp, he'd be dumb to do it the other way first. It may result in that eventually, and maybe that's what you're suggesting, but getting in an NFL camp is always goal #1.

Of course he should go to camp if invited. If he doesn't make team though, he should play somewhere.

Jack Lambert
02-27-2015, 11:59 AM
I talked to him at a gas station a few weeks ago in Brandon. He was just getting back from Cinci where he had a try out. He said he felt pretty good about it.

Johnson85
02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
I think he could easily be a very solid #3 QB in the NFL and draw a paycheck. He's got the brains, the arm, can make all the throws, and won't get hurt as a scout team QB. He'd also be proficient as a #3 in an emergency situation.

It seems crazy to me that he wouldn't get picked up by somebody. Seems like worst case scenario you have a guy that can make all the throws to act as scout team Qb while not causing any trouble. I would have thought somebody would take a flyer on somebody with his size and arm strength, even if there were questions about whether he could make decisions quickly enough to be a good QB. Who knows what could happen with him if he spent a few years practicing with an NFL offense. Seems like he would be a good a risk to take as most any of the other 3rd team QBs.

Political Hack
02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
It seems crazy to me that he wouldn't get picked up by somebody. Seems like worst case scenario you have a guy that can make all the throws to act as scout team Qb while not causing any trouble. I would have thought somebody would take a flyer on somebody with his size and arm strength, even if there were questions about whether he could make decisions quickly enough to be a good QB. Who knows what could happen with him if he spent a few years practicing with an NFL offense. Seems like he would be a good a risk to take as most any of the other 3rd team QBs.

My same thoughts. Even if it's a practice squad gig for a year or three, he could parlay that into a good coaching career.

CJDAWG85
02-27-2015, 12:36 PM
If Austin Davis can make a roster, Russell can.

HoopsCoach21
02-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Pretty sure he's going to be working out at our pro day that's coming up with the rest of our guys this spring.

BossDawg
02-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Is Tyler going to make a run at getting picked up by a team? I know a lot of you have always said he will never make it but I would love to see him given a chance.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MacGrifferous/status/571340423681191936/video/1

I sure hope so. I've been wondering what his status is. I feel like he could at the very least be serviceable in an offense that fit him a little better. I hated to see how things ended up for him, but hopefully he can be successful on a team somewhere.

War Machine Dawg
02-27-2015, 08:25 PM
TR isn't an NFL QB. Fragile, turnover prone, and immobile.

That combination has GMs foaming at the mouth.****

Coach34
02-27-2015, 08:32 PM
I cant see any way he makes a roster. If he plays in a preseason game he better savor the moment

justwin
02-28-2015, 10:37 AM
If he's truly recovered from the shoulder, he'll have a good shot. Not only does he have the arm strength, but he can really "pass" the ball. Remarkable to me that he broke every passing record despite countless dropped td passes. He easily had 20+ td passes dropped.

Tyler will forever go down as the guy that Mullen was completely clueless on how to use effectively. Just a shame. Never should've redshirted him and should've allowed him to hand the ball off to Vick or Griffin for 20+ times a game like all other prostyle QBs do. Mullen completely wasted his talent.

I'm pulling for him.

woozman
02-28-2015, 10:56 AM
He had a good interview on the Slant a couple weeks back and discussed his future. He said that his shoulder was finally healthy and that he will be going to MSU's pro day.

Dawg61
02-28-2015, 11:34 AM
If Tyler Bray can be a 3rd stringer so can Russell. Hell Jared Fatboy Lorenzen was a 3rd stringer for a decade.

msstate7
02-28-2015, 11:36 AM
If Tyler Bray can be a 3rd stringer so can Russell. Hell Jared Fatboy Lorenzen was a 3rd stringer for a decade.

Got to fix footwork

justwin
02-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Got to fix footwork

meh, his footwork will be fine when he gets the chance to hand it off to a RB who can get actually get yards & to WRs that can catch consistently.

Coach34
02-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Tyler's clock in his head is slow. The decision-making. Thats why he wont make it. His accuracy up to 25 yards is very good. He is smart. But he just doesnt react and pull the trigger quick enough when he needs to.

Cant seem him making it

War Machine Dawg
02-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Tyler's clock in his head is slow. The decision-making. Thats why he wont make it. His accuracy up to 25 yards is very good. He is smart. But he just doesnt react and pull the trigger quick enough when he needs to.

Cant seem him making it

This. Some of you seem to be forgetting that he holds the ball wayyyyyyyy too long. He never understood how to "throw open" a WR and had to wait for someone to get wide ass open before he let go of the ball. His anticipation was total shit. It got him murdered in SEC play. Can you imagine what an NFL defense would do to him while he was waiting for a WR to break open (which almost never happens at that level)?

drunkernhelldawg
02-28-2015, 03:32 PM
I always thought he could make a roster, that he had one of the best football iq's out there as well as the needed physical attributes. I also think that qb is a very available position in the NFL as so many teams do not have adequate players in these positions. I do respect C34 and WMD as far as football analysis, but I still have hope that he can make it. I wonder what shotgun thinks about it.

justwin
02-28-2015, 04:03 PM

Cant seem him making it

meh, any prostyle QB throwing into zone appears "slow". Mullen did him no favors during his tenure by not pairing him with JRob, Ballard, Milton, etc who can establish the run to require the front 7 to cover the run. The best game of JRob's soph season was when he played the 2nd half vs Ark with Tyler's passing threat. Tyler still had 3 tds dropped that game too.

you can't see him make it b/c you've never seen him in an offense tailored to his strengths...a big RB, semi decent WRs, etc. Ya know, like they do in the NFL.

Certain offensive coaches know how to tailor an offense to their players (like Spurrier, Meyer, Richt, Saban, etc)...Mullen doesn't. He just doesn't. Mullen has one flavor...a running QB. And that's fine b/c Mullen's offense really is exceptional when he has that, but Mullen left a lot of wins on the field and could've won more a lot sooner @ MSU had he used some of the bigger RBs more exclusively while TR was here.

justwin
02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
This. Some of you seem to be forgetting that he holds the ball wayyyyyyyy too long. He never understood how to "throw open" a WR and had to wait for someone to get wide ass open before he let go of the ball. His anticipation was total shit. It got him murdered in SEC play. Can you imagine what an NFL defense would do to him while he was waiting for a WR to break open (which almost never happens at that level)?

Tyler never had the benefit of a RB to make the defense respect the run. It's that simple. He's above avg in all passing categories...that's his strength which was never fully utilized due to coaches personnel choices surrounding him. You should go back and watch some of his games if you think he couldn't make any throw on the field.

You can't tell me that what JRob did this year he couldn't have done as a soph or even freshman. In effect, Mullen wasted JRob's first two years along with Tyler's 4 years.

justwin
02-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I always thought he could make a roster, that he had one of the best football iq's out there as well as the needed physical attributes. I also think that qb is a very available position in the NFL as so many teams do not have adequate players in these positions. I do respect C34 and WMD as far as football analysis, but I still have hope that he can make it. I wonder what shotgun thinks about it.

I just hope Tyler gets a legit chance to play for a coach who knows how to utilize his strengths before he has to hang them up. But I agree, there are far less talented QBs who have made nfl rosters.

drunkernhelldawg
02-28-2015, 04:18 PM
I just hope Tyler gets a legit chance to play for a coach who knows how to utilize his strengths before he has to hang them up. But I agree, there are far less talented QBs who have made nfl rosters.

NFL teams constantly struggle with the QB position. So many sure bets out of college just don't quite figure the league out.

Coach34
02-28-2015, 05:00 PM
meh, any prostyle QB throwing into zone appears "slow". Mullen did him no favors during his tenure by not pairing him with JRob, Ballard, Milton, etc who can establish the run to require the front 7 to cover the run. The best game of JRob's soph season was when he played the 2nd half vs Ark with Tyler's passing threat. Tyler still had 3 tds dropped that game too.

you can't see him make it b/c you've never seen him in an offense tailored to his strengths...a big RB, semi decent WRs, etc. Ya know, like they do in the NFL.

Certain offensive coaches know how to tailor an offense to their players (like Spurrier, Meyer, Richt, Saban, etc)...Mullen doesn't. He just doesn't. Mullen has one flavor...a running QB. And that's fine b/c Mullen's offense really is exceptional when he has that, but Mullen left a lot of wins on the field and could've won more a lot sooner @ MSU had he used some of the bigger RBs more exclusively while TR was here.

You see alot more out of Russell than I ever did. I do agree a Pro-I scheme would have been better for him- but that wasnt going to speed his decision-making up. He's just not that good. He is a solid player but there was nothing great about him

DudyDawg
02-28-2015, 05:18 PM
No offense, but there are a thousand versions of him available to be a scout or third string guy. His odds aren't great