PDA

View Full Version : Preston brown

msstate7
02-27-2015, 08:25 AM
This is a big measuring stick for Preston and our team today. We need a Friday night guy that take the bump and get a weekend off to a good start if we want to be in the regional host talk. Can Preston be that guy? We'll know more today

Coach34
02-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Our SP's are the only real question left on this team

PMDawg
02-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Our SP's are the only real question left on this team

I don't know if that's 100% accurate. We have been beating up some pretty....let's be nice and say "average"...pitchers so far. I want to see if we can carry it over. I think we will, but I am watching for that.

bulldogcountry1
02-27-2015, 09:07 AM
38% of the runs we have given up have been in the first two innings. I'm not exactly sure why, but part of me thinks we are taking a vanilla approach when it comes to calling pitches to start the game. More than anything, I think it you can chalk it up to nerves and cold weather. We are getting better, though. If you break it down into the:

First 4 games - 46% of runs allowed were in the first two innings (3.75 total runs per game)

Last 5 games - 27% (2.2 total r/g)

msstate7
02-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Very pleased with Preston. Id be estatic if sexton can follow Preston with a good performance

messageboardsuperhero
02-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Arizona actually has a good lineup- definitely comparable to, if not better than most of the lineups we'll see in SEC play. Last night and today are really good litmus tests for our pitching, and I thought we passed last night with flying colors.

The big keys for Preston Brown is that he can't put people on base for free, and we have to play good defense behind him. I thought both of those things happened last night after the first couple of innings.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Once he settled in he was great. We can't not compete every AB though on the mound and get behind hitters early. Threw too many pitches until he settled in. And 4 pitch walks to the leadoff guy in an inning after we score is inexcusable. Momentum killers. Can't have it.

I'm nitpicking a little probably for some tastes but what I'm nitpicking are huge things if he is going to be our Friday night guy and set the tone for the weekend. It's that important a position. Our pitching staff as a whole needs to get mentally tougher with competing early in counts and lapses where we just flat walk some guy we should never walk be it lineup position or game situation.

I love what Preston brings to the table and I think he could be one of the most solid Friday night guys in the league. Got to clean up some things though.

Original48
02-28-2015, 10:33 AM
The nice thing about Preston is when a runner does get on base he's in their head with the move he has to first. And it also gives the catcher a big advantage when they do try to steal. By the way, Lovelady gunning down 10 of 12...WOW. We seem to have depth everywhere but I never thought we wouldn't miss Gavin Collins.

Thrill1
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
I think Preston's performance was better than the numbers indicate based on Armstrongs' tight plate. Give him credit, he adjusted throughout the game while the AZ starter did not, giving us the lead. And I'd rather have a pitcher miss low all day long than get hammered for leaving it up. Really encouraged by this start. Would love for Sexton, Laster or Tatum to step up and grab the two other spots.