PDA

View Full Version : @Salsa_Nacho should have just been adopted.

EAVdog
02-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Silas Nacita (RB for Baylor), @Salsa_Nacho on Twitter, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA because he was homeless his Senior year and some had the nerve to provide him an apartment. Too bad he couldn't have just found an nice family to adopt him.

The NCAA really sucks sometimes.

MaxedOutMaroon
02-25-2015, 12:42 PM
It's ridiculous how involved they've become in a person's life. Smh, it's time.

TXDawg
02-25-2015, 12:55 PM
You gotta apply some common sense here...

FlabLoser
02-25-2015, 12:56 PM
The NCAA appears to be writing its own obituary. This kind of asininity can't be accepted. Its one thing to get mad at the NCAA peeing on your favorite team, but its another thing entirely for them to come down on a guy for being homeless. The NCAA is doing all it can to make sure this guy returns to homelessness.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/25/8107233/silas-nacita-baylor-football-ncaa-eligibility

662dawg
02-25-2015, 01:14 PM
I just tweeted this. Let's geterdone. This can't be illegal coming from an outside fan base can it?

@662dawg: How bout 50-75 #HailState fans pledge $10 a month to provide @Salsa_Nacho a place to stay his SR year. Surely that's not illegal. Who's in?

smootness
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
I agree that in this one specific instance, they shouldn't have declared him ineligible, but at the same time, I don't really want the NCAA arbitrarily making decisions on each case.

It's obvious why the rule is there. And the bottom line is, while it wasn't a great situation for him, he was making it work as it was. He decided to take the apartment, which is a clear violation of NCAA rules.

He had a scholarship already and still has the scholarship, in fact. All this does is mean he can't also play football...which, again, he was fine playing until he took the apartment.

So the choice for him is, sleep on the floor and play football, or take the apartment and don't play football. It's not great that he has to make that choice, but it's not as though the NCAA has kicked him out of his apartment and stripped away his scholarship.

I would have loved to have walked on at State and played baseball, but finances wouldn't have allowed me to do it, even if I had been good enough.

Dawg496
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
I just tweeted this. Let's geterdone. This can't be illegal coming from an outside fan base can it?

@662dawg: How bout 50-75 #HailState fans pledge $10 a month to provide @Salsa_Nacho a place to stay his SR year. Surely that's not illegal. Who's in?

I'm in and I bet a ton of fans from around the country would be in. Seriously, we should make this a thing along with the hashtag #AbolishTheNCAA

662dawg
02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
I think its also illegal from what I was just told. Smh. Stupid.

662dawg
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Any Dawgs around Dallas? They could adopt him & all pledges sent to them 😁

TXDawg
02-25-2015, 03:13 PM
NCAA now saying they didn't declare him ineligible:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12381079/silas-nacita-baylor-bears-walk-rb-says-ncaa-declared-ineligible-accepting-impermissible-benefits-was-homeless

Sounds like Baylor Compliance may have learned of the impermissible benefits and self-declared him ineligible (read statement from Baylor AD). NCAA tweet implies that there's an opportunity for a waiver to be obtained (yes, he violated the rules, but due to his extraordinary situation, he'll retain his eligibility), but that Baylor has not pursued that option.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Black Helicopter Theory: Story is being drummed up by Baylor (Power 5 member) in order to point out the idiocy of the NCAA and their policies in order to facilitate the Power 5 split.

LC Dawg
02-25-2015, 04:03 PM
It really doesn't matter what I think but it seems like there may be more to this story. If the kid is paying tuition with academic scholarships and he actually is homeless how does he not qualify for some other form of aid? My child is not homeless but she has taken out some student loans to help with costs. It seems like the Baylor athletic department should have helped the guy with some of this, especially if they are using his academic All Big-12 status to promote their program. The coldness of the statement from the Baylor AD also makes me wonder if there is more to it.

Political Hack
02-25-2015, 04:40 PM
NCAA now saying they didn't declare him ineligible:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12381079/silas-nacita-baylor-bears-walk-rb-says-ncaa-declared-ineligible-accepting-impermissible-benefits-was-homeless

Sounds like Baylor Compliance may have learned of the impermissible benefits and self-declared him ineligible (read statement from Baylor AD). NCAA tweet implies that there's an opportunity for a waiver to be obtained (yes, he violated the rules, but due to his extraordinary situation, he'll retain his eligibility), but that Baylor has not pursued that option.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Black Helicopter Theory: Story is being drummed up by Baylor (Power 5 member) in order to point out the idiocy of the NCAA and their policies in order to facilitate the Power 5 split.

Power 5 doesn't need a reason to split. The NCAA is a voluntary organization, in that if you don't volunteer to be a member, they have no say over what you do. All it takes is the conferences deciding that they're done with the NCAA.

Just like I, nor any of you, have ever agreed to be members of the NCAA and they have absolutely no legal authority over you or I. They're a club and need volunteers to operate. Also, there is no "legal" and "illegal" in terms of the NCAA. There are club rules just the same as my neighborhood HOA that I agreed to when I moved into the neighborhood. That's it.