PDA

View Full Version : Talty on Mullen

notsofarawaydawg
02-25-2015, 10:59 AM
AL.COM Article (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/even_successful_seasons_can_be.html)

RougeDawg
02-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Not too bad from Talt. There we still some hints of his prior position in Mississippi when he propped up one program while constantly putting down the other, but this article was the least biased I think I have read of his. I do like the quote from Mullen about being honest with recruits from the beginning. This has caused us to miss out on some top guys, because they aren't used to hearing they will not be given anything and will have to work for everything. Mullen being honest from day one has allowed him to build the program his way with his type of player.

chef dixon
02-25-2015, 12:48 PM
This just makes me realize how bad it probably sucks to be a sports journalist in a specific sport and have to come up with stories during the offseason.

maroonmania
02-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Kind of a reach to me. That article on Mullen would have been more appropriate after his first 2 or 3 years at MSU. His name was only casually mentioned at best this year because people are starting to realize he's not that open to moving for the time being. At this point ALL SEC jobs are top of the heap jobs.

bluelightstar
02-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Kind of a reach to me. That article on Mullen would have been more appropriate after his first 2 or 3 years at MSU. His name was only casually mentioned at best this year because people are starting to realize he's not that open to moving for the time being. At this point ALL SEC jobs are top of the heap jobs.

Disagree -- we might have suspected he wasn't going anywhere, but he was especially mentioned for Florida and Michigan by national outlets especially during the season.

maroonmania
02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Disagree -- we might have suspected he wasn't going anywhere, but he was especially mentioned for Florida and Michigan by national outlets especially during the season.

Nothing like he was mentioned for the Florida, Miami, PSU and other jobs in the past. I DO think the MSU job is already seen as a significantly better job now, even nationally, than it was when Mullen first arrived.

Coach34
02-25-2015, 03:37 PM
The jest of the article was not only writers mentioning his name for others jobs- but other coaches saying it.

smootness
02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Nothing like he was mentioned for the Florida, Miami, PSU and other jobs in the past. I DO think the MSU job is already seen as a significantly better job now, even nationally, than it was when Mullen first arrived.

There's no doubt about that, and every job within the SEC behemoth is now considered at the very least a good job nationally with the possible exception of Vandy.

I would say that every SEC job outside of Vandy is probably within the top 30 nationally in terms of the type of hire you can attract.

I think the worst we would have to settle for now when looking for a coach would be someone along the Mullen line - a top assistant at a big-time program.

maroonmania
02-25-2015, 04:06 PM
There's no doubt about that, and every job within the SEC behemoth is now considered at the very least a good job nationally with the possible exception of Vandy.

I would say that every SEC job outside of Vandy is probably within the top 30 nationally in terms of the type of hire you can attract.

I think the worst we would have to settle for now when looking for a coach would be someone along the Mullen line - a top assistant at a big-time program.

Exactly, and that is why I think it was a joke for Talty to essentially try and frame the Memphis job and the MSU job as the same general situation.